Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Dome time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

temple posted:

Yeah but they don't air that many nba games until the finals playoffs. TV aired 9% of nba games (107 televised games last year out of 1230)

The number of national games wouldn't change, though it would increase as a percentage of total games. Local TV would still carry the non-national games, just the NBA would control the rights centrally rather than individual teams selling them off willy nilly, often for really bad deals.

morestuff posted:

They also make money by playing the games in a big stadium full of people

Gameday income is around $1.5bn a year, roughly 22% of total league revenue. The national TV deal is currently $2.6bn per season, but that is going to sky rocket when the new deal comes in for the 2025-26 season - possibly double in value or even more. Gameday income going forward could be around 15% total league revenue. So losing say 10% of that with a schedule reduction is a 1.5% total revenue drop. But, if you are making that decision hand in hand with a schedule reduction and a hard requirement to make players available for national tv games - which helps you inflate the value of the national TV deal - you could say it comes out even or maybe even positive overall. This is all speculative of course, but it's possible.

It'll never happen anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think you would have to shorten the season by a ton, you could probably eliminate like half the back to backs cutting the season by maybe 4 games.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
What season did the league go to 82 games? I don’t feel like googling it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Harden often goes to a strip club called the Iron Dome

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

What season did the league go to 82 games? I don’t feel like googling it

67-68

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

The number of national games wouldn't change, though it would increase as a percentage of total games. Local TV would still carry the non-national games, just the NBA would control the rights centrally rather than individual teams selling them off willy nilly, often for really bad deals.

Gameday income is around $1.5bn a year, roughly 22% of total league revenue. The national TV deal is currently $2.6bn per season, but that is going to sky rocket when the new deal comes in for the 2025-26 season - possibly double in value or even more. Gameday income going forward could be around 15% total league revenue. So losing say 10% of that with a schedule reduction is a 1.5% total revenue drop. But, if you are making that decision hand in hand with a schedule reduction and a hard requirement to make players available for national tv games - which helps you inflate the value of the national TV deal - you could say it comes out even or maybe even positive overall. This is all speculative of course, but it's possible.

It'll never happen anyway.

For instance. The NFL added a 17th game and wants to add an 18th despite every play having life altering effects on players. It's just about putting poo poo on tv and getting mountains of money. No owner cares about the long term status of anything but their bank accounts

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Doltos posted:

Harden often goes to a strip club called the Iron Dome

He heard that some sort of Strip was in jeopardy and immediately came out in support of Palestine.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Ant, with two centers on the floor!
https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/1713348514602684607

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

sounding like a chipmunk is a requirement for podcasts

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dejan Bimble posted:

For instance. The NFL added a 17th game and wants to add an 18th despite every play having life altering effects on players. It's just about putting poo poo on tv and getting mountains of money. No owner cares about the long term status of anything but their bank accounts

This is the American way.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Trae Young revenge season incoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hnDUJWWftY

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Jason and Shea make it very clear how unserious they take everything and makes for the silliest but best takes about the NBA. Sorry yall can’t handle it. Their big take in the first episode was that the Knicks would get the three seed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Dark Souls of Posters posted:

Jason and Shea make it very clear how unserious they take everything and makes for the silliest but best takes about the NBA. Sorry yall can’t handle it. Their big take in the first episode was that the Knicks would get the three seed.

Wow crazy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Dominayton

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Dom_2k/status/1713402800527335879

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

amazing, its in almost perfect reverse order

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

yeah i dont listen because i cant handle it for sure

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Remember when being mildly amusing on Twitter could get you a media career

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wemby making me feel good about my controversial “Spurs will contend for the play-in” take I had in here like a month ago

I forgot that when I submitted my hot take for the poll though

Dejan Bimble posted:

Did you guys see that Damian Lillard said solidarity with Palestine
I can only find this from 2021
https://twitter.com/pierfrance123/status/1392579918236725253?s=46&t=e32cW6xSoczgoUoxqqxySA

Lmao sensitive content

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1713623432221409319

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

L'owned

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
collect those passports Joel

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A franchise of LIARS

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Ah yes. Just what a learned doctor needs. The guy whose old gig was comparing everything to game of thrones offering me nba “takes”

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fast Luck posted:

Wemby making me feel good about my controversial “Spurs will contend for the play-in” take I had in here like a month ago

I forgot that when I submitted my hot take for the poll though

I can only find this from 2021
https://twitter.com/pierfrance123/status/1392579918236725253?s=46&t=e32cW6xSoczgoUoxqqxySA

Lmao sensitive content

Hmm must have been aggregated from thenn. I got aggregated. smdh

Did you know that the raptors are playing their classic rivals the Cairns Taipans today?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’d like to register a new Hottest Take since the one I put in the survey was about what would happen if Dame went to Miami which didn’t happen

Rui Hachimura will be the third best Laker by season’s end

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Dame time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxS_ha5hYjg

I don't care if it's preseason. Dame time.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Al Thornton is still hooping at age 40 in Argentina

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

Al Thornton is still hooping at age 40 in Argentina

I was about to ask if he still looks like a ninja turtle but then remembered thats Al Harrington.

Lot of NBA bigs named Al over the years.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If you want 50 minutes of Xs and Os Wemby hype, Sam Vecinie did a really nice breakdown of seven or eight plays from the Spurs v Heat game.

https://youtu.be/Ec2_qRng-HE?si=GJuDjMv8AlDcX7CG

tl;dr - Wemby gonna break the NBA

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/James_Dator/status/1713896072576147721

Hmmm giving GMs insider information so they can more effectively lowball players, seems like agents should stop talking to these two even if they get a nifty shoutout tweet

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That loving sucks. The sooner twitter dies and this sort of thing becomes less “important” the better

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I, for one, am shocked two idiots who are clearly competing to post breaking news on Twitter are also complete tools

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Fast Luck posted:

https://twitter.com/James_Dator/status/1713896072576147721

Hmmm giving GMs insider information so they can more effectively lowball players, seems like agents should stop talking to these two even if they get a nifty shoutout tweet

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of information going to those guys is coming from the players' agents.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of information going to those guys is coming from the players' agents.

Yeah, but they are still giant weenies

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

If you want 50 minutes of Xs and Os Wemby hype, Sam Vecinie did a really nice breakdown of seven or eight plays from the Spurs v Heat game.

https://youtu.be/Ec2_qRng-HE?si=GJuDjMv8AlDcX7CG

tl;dr - Wemby gonna break the NBA

Unless Wembys knees/footbones explode Spurs are gonna be dominant from like 2025 onward.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

LionYeti posted:

Unless Wembys knees/footbones explode Spurs are gonna be dominant from like 2025 onward.

They'll still need some help, in today's NBA 1 player can't carry a team, and I think some teams have shot themselves in the foot assuming a 2nd star will just materialize. Wemby is far and away the best building block you could ask for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

dokmo posted:

Which makes them selling those agents out to curry favor with front offices even dumber