Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In simulation viderogames, the parking spots/hangars for fighter aircraft are extremely narrow. They always start you off perfectly lined up to taxi out to your mission. When I land and taxi back into the parking space, I often wonder: how the heck do they turn the airplane around in real life, so it can taxi out on its next mission? It never looks like I have the space to turn around safely, and the jets I pretend-fly can't go backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

They tow it with a tractor thingy i think

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hyperlynx posted:

In simulation viderogames, the parking spots/hangars for fighter aircraft are extremely narrow. They always start you off perfectly lined up to taxi out to your mission. When I land and taxi back into the parking space, I often wonder: how the heck do they turn the airplane around in real life, so it can taxi out on its next mission? It never looks like I have the space to turn around safely, and the jets I pretend-fly can't go backwards.

I'd imagine they'd use the same little tractor tug they use to back planes away from the gate before taxi at regular airports.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
My grandparents had a copy of Dante's Inferno that had the original Italian on one page and the line-by-line English translation on the page opposite from it.
Is there a word for this kind of translation?

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Parallel text

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

Wings fold up for storage on aircraft carriers

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

I'd imagine they'd use the same little tractor tug they use to back planes away from the gate before taxi at regular airports.

Yeah, that's probably it.

Lawnie posted:

Wings fold up for storage on aircraft carriers

That's only on carrier aircraft, though.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Airplanes are pushed back. That's how when you fly on a commercial airliner it manages to reverse out from the gate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushback_(aviation)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I have an incredibly stupid cooking question. Is there some... generally assumed thing you're supposed to do with leftover marinade that everyone just knows, so nobody bothers mentioning it? I always thought you were just supposed to throw it away. A recipe I've made a couple times now makes me question this, or maybe it's just a poorly worded recipe?

It's an air-fryer recipe, if that makes a difference. The thing that makes me wonder is the "with Thai sauce" bit. Where does the sauce come in? It doesn't have you make sauce, it doesn't mention buying any sauce (I bought some sweet chilli sauce to have with). Like I said I've made this a couple times now and the chicken comes out fine. The "with Thai sauce" is just odd. Is the marinade supposed to be the sauce, and that's why you make so much of it?! Have I been doing marinade wrong my entire life? :psyduck:. But like, the marinade would have had raw chicken soaking in it overnight, so surely that is gross and you're supposed to throw it away?

Is this just a bad recipe and I should just ignore that part?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

If there is a two lane turning lane going left, into a 3 lane road, with a car in each turning lane, and they both go to the middle lane and have a collision, who's at fault?

This is in California. If state laws matter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

If there is a two lane turning lane going left, into a 3 lane road, with a car in each turning lane, and they both go to the middle lane and have a collision, who's at fault?

This is in California. If state laws matter.

The intersection should have lines painted on it to guide cars into the correct lane. However, I believe the legally expected behavior is that the leftmost lane entering the intersection goes to the leftmost lane leaving the intersection, and so on. People routinely ignore this, of course, and use intersections as a way to change lanes while making their turns.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have an incredibly stupid cooking question. Is there some... generally assumed thing you're supposed to do with leftover marinade that everyone just knows, so nobody bothers mentioning it? I always thought you were just supposed to throw it away. A recipe I've made a couple times now makes me question this, or maybe it's just a poorly worded recipe?

It's an air-fryer recipe, if that makes a difference. The thing that makes me wonder is the "with Thai sauce" bit. Where does the sauce come in? It doesn't have you make sauce, it doesn't mention buying any sauce (I bought some sweet chilli sauce to have with). Like I said I've made this a couple times now and the chicken comes out fine. The "with Thai sauce" is just odd. Is the marinade supposed to be the sauce, and that's why you make so much of it?! Have I been doing marinade wrong my entire life? :psyduck:. But like, the marinade would have had raw chicken soaking in it overnight, so surely that is gross and you're supposed to throw it away?

You might ask in the GWS general questions thread.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Silver Falcon posted:

No, you are doing things right. A marinade in raw meat should not be used on the cooked meat directly.

There are some recipes where you can boil the marinade, which depending on the ingredients, can turn it into a glaze that can be drizzled on the cooked food, because the boiling makes it safe to use.

Edit: rereading that marinade, I would say it would be a great candidate for the boiling method. Just go slow and stir a lot so the sugars don't burn (will taste bad and make cleanup terrible). Drizzling that on the chicken would probably be awesome. I imagine maybe that was the plan for the recipe and they just messed up.

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 16, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I don’t see a sauce in that recipe? Strange.

I’ve tried searing vegetables and tofu in leftover marinade and that can be pretty good, depending on what’s in it.

E: drat I should try making a glaze next time, thanks

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Douche4Sale posted:

No, you are doing things right. A marinade in raw meat should not be used on the cooked meat directly.

There are some recipes where you can boil the marinade, which depending on the ingredients, can turn it into a glaze that can be drizzled on the cooked food, because the boiling makes it safe to use.

Edit: rereading that marinade, I would say it would be a great candidate for the boiling method. Just go slow and stir a lot so the sugars don't burn (will taste bad and make cleanup terrible). Drizzling that on the chicken would probably be awesome. I imagine maybe that was the plan for the recipe and they just messed up.

Hmm. This is a good idea! I can try this. How long do you reckon I should boil it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Coming into some money shortly, and wondering how to most effectively use it to pay down my mortgage.

Our mortgage is split into three chunks which each come up for renewal every three years - one renews each year. I'm trying to work out if it's better to completely blow away one of them as a single payment and put the regular payments from that into the others, or pay off a third of each one. In each case I'd be keeping the net fortnightly payment the same and just reallocating (if necessary) when any particular loan gets paid off.

Is there a calculator or something that I can tinker with for this? At the moment the bank is paying more in interest on savings than we're being charged interest on one of the loans so I'd probably just stick any payment for that one in savings until that's no longer the case.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Coming into some money shortly, and wondering how to most effectively use it to pay down my mortgage.

Our mortgage is split into three chunks which each come up for renewal every three years - one renews each year. I'm trying to work out if it's better to completely blow away one of them as a single payment and put the regular payments from that into the others, or pay off a third of each one. In each case I'd be keeping the net fortnightly payment the same and just reallocating (if necessary) when any particular loan gets paid off.

Is there a calculator or something that I can tinker with for this? At the moment the bank is paying more in interest on savings than we're being charged interest on one of the loans so I'd probably just stick any payment for that one in savings until that's no longer the case.

Go ask the BFC Newbies thread. That said, unless your mortgage is very recent, paying it down is probably not the best use of your money. If the interest rate is lower than 6 or 7%, you can just invest the money into a mutual fund and statistically, get better returns.

(totally understandable if you want to pay it down for purposes of managing your own psychology, mind you. I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily the best financial option)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's always best to pay the highest interest rate loan off first and only pay minimums on the rest. There's no point splitting the money three ways.
If the only remaining loans charge lower interest rates than you can get from saving/investing, then yeah it's better to just lock the money away (in a High Yield Savings Account or index fund) and only make the minimum payment.

You might want to ask in BFC for more detailed answers from people who know more than me.

efb

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I have tried to google this and somehow I can't seem to find a straight answer.

My oldest is getting to the age where we would leave her home alone for a half hour to run to the store or something, but we don't have a home phone and adding a line would be kind of expensive, and we need there to be a way for her to call us if she needed to.

I'd like to get a prepaid phone to keep at home for this, and also when she's a bit older and can go other places on her own for her to be able to take with her. I want it to be locked down to where it can only call preapproved numbers, can't get online, etc.

I've never done a prepaid before and looking at them it seems like they still have a monthly fee? I thought I could pay for, like, 200 minutes and however long it took me to use those minutes I didn't have to pay again. Is that not a thing? Also, are there any recommendations on a phone or a carrier for this? I really don't plan on the phone getting used hardly ever and I'm basically looking for the cheapest option.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Silver Falcon posted:

Hmm. This is a good idea! I can try this. How long do you reckon I should boil it?

Until it starts to thicken up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

Does the cookbook have a recipe for that sauce somewhere else?

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I have tried to google this and somehow I can't seem to find a straight answer.

My oldest is getting to the age where we would leave her home alone for a half hour to run to the store or something, but we don't have a home phone and adding a line would be kind of expensive, and we need there to be a way for her to call us if she needed to.

I'd like to get a prepaid phone to keep at home for this, and also when she's a bit older and can go other places on her own for her to be able to take with her. I want it to be locked down to where it can only call preapproved numbers, can't get online, etc.

I've never done a prepaid before and looking at them it seems like they still have a monthly fee? I thought I could pay for, like, 200 minutes and however long it took me to use those minutes I didn't have to pay again. Is that not a thing? Also, are there any recommendations on a phone or a carrier for this? I really don't plan on the phone getting used hardly ever and I'm basically looking for the cheapest option.

Are you in the USA? If so, many carriers have a child plan that is 10-20 a month that has an android based device that is very simple and can be used for calls, texts, etc that is completely monitored and controlled by you. https://www.verizon.com/family-tech/children/ is an example of this.

I don't know what happened to prepay only phones. I know that they didn't make much money for stand alone companies because they had to pair to a carrier for service.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Toupee Groupie posted:

Are you in the USA? If so, many carriers have a child plan that is 10-20 a month that has an android based device that is very simple and can be used for calls, texts, etc that is completely monitored and controlled by you. https://www.verizon.com/family-tech/children/ is an example of this.

I don't know what happened to prepay only phones. I know that they didn't make much money for stand alone companies because they had to pair to a carrier for service.

Yes, USA and ATT. I checked but didn't see where they had a line I could add for cheap. My wife and I are on separate plans (can't combine for dumb boring reasons) and adding a second line costs a lot more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Were "exploding cigars" actually a thing? You see them in old comic strips and cartoons and similar, but are they based on a real thing? If so, what did they actually do? I'm assuming they didn't actually explode in the way they're depicted as that would have been unreasonably dangerous, even given the lax safety standards of the time.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tiggum posted:

Were "exploding cigars" actually a thing? You see them in old comic strips and cartoons and similar, but are they based on a real thing? If so, what did they actually do? I'm assuming they didn't actually explode in the way they're depicted as that would have been unreasonably dangerous, even given the lax safety standards of the time.

They were a thing. You can read about them here. They’re not made anymore for the reasons you’re identifying. Also the US tried to assassinate Castro with one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_cigar

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If I have a pair of sunglasses that are just the normal kind but I need a prescription is there a way to convert them?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

If I have a pair of sunglasses that are just the normal kind but I need a prescription is there a way to convert them?

Depends upon the shape of the lenses the frame accepts, frame thickness, and your script. If they seem ‘normal,’ probably.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

To be clear, the conversion is that they take out the actual glass, throw it away and put in bendy glass instead.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If it's a pair of sunglasses you really love, you can likely find nearly identical frames and get those prescription. This site, from light googling, claims to replace any lenses - https://www.lensabl.com/prescription-sunglass-lenses

It's, as with everything, what you're willing to pay for.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

If it's a pair of sunglasses you really love, you can likely find nearly identical frames and get those prescription. This site, from light googling, claims to replace any lenses - https://www.lensabl.com/prescription-sunglass-lenses

Any brand of lenses, but if you have lenses that do a wrap-around they may not replace them because the prescription can only be put on the flat part of the lens. Ski goggles solve it by putting prescription lenses between the outside glass and your eyes, but sport sunglasses cannot often do the same.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

You don't even have to go online, generally any optical shop will replace lenses on nearly any pair of glasses, but it costs. But prescription sunglasses are gonna cost anyway.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I've got some B12 supplements that contain about 42,000% the daily value per pill. Why put so much in it? Is B12 so cheap that an inert filler would actually be more expensive or something?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

I've got some B12 supplements that contain about 42,000% the daily value per pill. Why put so much in it? Is B12 so cheap that an inert filler would actually be more expensive or something?

Why would you buy the 1,000% DV vitamin when the 10,000% is right there for only 20% more????

And that’s an evolutionary process.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I don’t know that they started it but alternative health influencers from the 90s like Dr Sebi pushed the “go to 10000x the daily value” tendencies on supplements.

There is a worthwhile discussion about how much the body can metabolize and going a bit over because of variances there but not to that degree.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is longterm, low dosage melatonin bad for you? Because I really love that feeling melatonin gives, especially since I've always been such a difficult sleeper. For most of my life, I just figured I was cursed with needing 30 minutes to an hour to fall asleep. I tried every trick in the book and nothing helped. With melatonin, I get that really cozy brain-blanket feeling and just drift off to sleep without even realising it.

I've been taking 1.5mg each night for about a month now. I skip some nights, but most of the time I'm using melatonin. It makes falling asleep really easy, and it stops me waking up a million times in the night like I'm prone to do without melatonin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah and huge doses of vitamins or other weird stuff like metals can be a legitimate treatment. Like lithium for schizophrenia or niacin for cholesterol.

But that’s not really what’s going on in the supplement aisle at the pharmacy.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

In the UK our kid has a PAYG sim just for a number to use WhatsApp inside the house, when they start taking it places we'll put some credit on it and monitor with google family or w/e

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Qubee posted:

Is longterm, low dosage melatonin bad for you? Because I really love that feeling melatonin gives, especially since I've always been such a difficult sleeper. For most of my life, I just figured I was cursed with needing 30 minutes to an hour to fall asleep. I tried every trick in the book and nothing helped. With melatonin, I get that really cozy brain-blanket feeling and just drift off to sleep without even realising it.

I've been taking 1.5mg each night for about a month now. I skip some nights, but most of the time I'm using melatonin. It makes falling asleep really easy, and it stops me waking up a million times in the night like I'm prone to do without melatonin.

IIRC prolonged use can interfere with your body's ability to naturally produce melatonin, but if you have a lot of trouble sleeping without it that might not be working for you to start with.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

Are you sure it's 1.5mg? I'm pretty sure the tablets on sale here are either 3, 5 or 10mg, unless you are looking at a kids' dose.

I tend to use it, but more as a helper to get me on a better sleep cycle.

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Qubee posted:

Literally anything to do (even non-pharmaceutical things) with sleep assistance is habit forming and gives a chance of dependence, sleep is just a habitual thing by default with humans. Melatonin is low risk but it can give you some problems with habitual use and end up needing it more than you do now, but like maybe that's worth the risk for you specifically. It's not gonna poison you or anything.

El Jeffe posted:

Higher number equals better marketing essentially. Synthesizing vitamins in general is extremely cheap and easy and B12 is a water-soluble vitamin so it's essentially impossible to overdose on it. You might give yourself nausea or a headache if you eat the whole bottle or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CzarChasm posted:

Are you sure it's 1.5mg? I'm pretty sure the tablets on sale here are either 3, 5 or 10mg, unless you are looking at a kids' dose.

I tend to use it, but more as a helper to get me on a better sleep cycle.

Low dose are better for chronic use, while higher doses are better for one-time "fix my sleep cycle" use.