Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

my 9 yo kid wants to watch One Piece

is there any weird anime stuff in it

it gets pretty fanservicey later on but your kid will probably be in college by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

galagazombie posted:

After failing multiple attempts at suicide since the first episode, Heero saves the Earth in the series finale by saying “I will survive!” instead of making another botched attempt. So really Gundam Wing is a masterful allegory for overcoming suicidal ideation and undergoing healing.
Yeah, that's why eva is better

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I read both this week and I liked dungeon meshi 100 times more than jujutsu kaisen

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gundam wing is great trash, i wish the tl;gw edit was still around

REZORZEZZ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

bitmap posted:

I read both this week and I liked dungeon meshi 100 times more than jujutsu kaisen

Delicious in Dungeon is the best fantasy comic of this century

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYNGkSvFT8c

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

kengan ashura is awesome firm recommend

It’s p deece. Baki I think moar original howmstever

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gripweed posted:

Delicious in Dungeon is the best fantasy comic of this century

Probably. It's a huge field with a lot of contenders but Delicious in Dungeon is definitely way near the top

I mean, come on

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Oct 8, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tried Jujutsu Kaisen and gave up. I got spoiled by Chainsaw Man and how action just happens in it without people narrating it. Jujutsu Kaisen has some interesting elements from what I could see (magical society is incredibly backwards and the protagonists seem like they'd be working to change that), but its buried underneath, "My god, he's attacking at a 45 degree angle in order to maximize his trajectory! I'll have to counter by using the Spinning Crane tactical maneuver!"

Whirling has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Oct 8, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jujutsu Kaisen feels like the author had a bunch of ideas for what he thinks are fun characters and then just kind of mashes them together like a child playing with action figures. It doesn't feel like there's much rhyme or reason to half the fights that happen, or hell even for the existence of the characters in the first place, it's just something that happens because the author wants to see it. And Goro being this insanely omnipotent, smug, super hot dude that everyone wants to bone is just more tiresome than fun to me

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

In MF Ghost we finally got to the car drifting :eyepop: :getin:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I like Kengan Ashura too but the CGI is pretty chunky and even though it works well with the fight choreography it's over-used everywhere else. If you really want the full Kengan Ashura experience you have to read the manga, because the anime just doesn't capture the sheer frenetic energy of the art.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

doflamingo looks like he’s always holding in a massive poo poo and hopes no one will notice

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Slowly going through Monster now. Looking at a dude on a operation table from two meters away: "A genius did that"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Monster is a good ride from start to finish.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I like the little author notes in jjk where they admit one of gojo abilities was born out of their misunderstanding of mathematics with infinity

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

I like the little author notes in jjk where they admit one of gojo abilities was born out of their misunderstanding of mathematics with infinity

This is actually valid, because of the 87th law of Jujutsu. As long as you truly believe that's how math works, the jujutsu will succeed.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I read Shut Hell and it was a lot of fun, its very entertaining historical fiction about the Mongol invasion of Central Asia, although the need to always have a Japanese point-of-view character is quite absurd in this case; the writer has to do some very strange time travel poo poo where a dopey Japanese guy has to cohabit the body of the titular character (who is his past incarnation, I think?), and the result is that there's a few times where a much more interesting character has to take the backseat for a guy that is just kinda there. At least he's not a pervert I guess.

Also, this manga reinforces my belief that women are better manga authors overall. Dudes need to be making more historical dramas like Vagabond and less isekai slop.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
PSA: check your local theaters* because Spirited Away will be playing on some nights starting Halloween weekend. The original Ghost in the Shell will be showing in early November and Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers in December. Miyazaki's last / latest film is also coming to the States in early December.

This website was the best I found for listing upcoming anime premieres and rereleases if anyone else likes watching anime on big screens.

*might be exclusive to Cinemark, idk

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Whirling posted:

I read Shut Hell and it was a lot of fun, its very entertaining historical fiction about the Mongol invasion of Central Asia, although the need to always have a Japanese point-of-view character is quite absurd in this case; the writer has to do some very strange time travel poo poo where a dopey Japanese guy has to cohabit the body of the titular character (who is his past incarnation, I think?), and the result is that there's a few times where a much more interesting character has to take the backseat for a guy that is just kinda there. At least he's not a pervert I guess.

Also, this manga reinforces my belief that women are better manga authors overall. Dudes need to be making more historical dramas like Vagabond and less isekai slop.

Ah, forgot about that halfway through some years ago. Was pretty neat, I should pick it back up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whirling posted:

I think the Shut Hell protagonist is fine, because both he and his modern-day love interest are basically just "echos" of the actual main characters, and a PoV for learning about them in a way that isn't just a direct narrative.

I'm also a big sucker for that specific sort of romance (like "a romance that persists across time/reincarnations"), and the gender switching aspect makes it even more interesting.

It's probably one of my favorite manga.

edit: Also agree about women authors often/usually being much better. Dorohedoro (my #1 favorite manga), 7 Seeds, and Magi are also some of my favorites.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Oct 13, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao what was Toei on during Dressrosa
when i said I wanted more Robin that's not what I meant!!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Real Robin enjoyers are in it for her hands and feet not this crap.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
excited for dragon ball babies

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Whirling posted:

I agree completely, I hate when stories are overly convoluted for no good reason, and Shut Hell is one of the worst offenders to me.Such a good premise and art and I just can't get into it because of the time travel.

If you want some other good stuff by female authors, I recommend Dungeon Meshi or Magus of the Library, both amazing fantasy stories.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Honestly I think I'd have liked it if there was a little more focus on the guy and his girlfriend in the modern period. If she wrote like 5 tight issues about these people and their relationship before time travel shenanigans occurs that made me care about them, I'd think the manga was perfect. Still, great stuff, 4/5 stars from me.

Anyway, yes, will check out all the stuff by other female mangaka. I've already finished Dungeon Meshi and Dorohedoro (Dorohedoro is also my favorite manga overall).

Whirling has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Oct 13, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

got up to the part of the wacky cartoon rubber monkey pirate man show where the world government ignores health regulations for an easy profit and lets an entire country be fed poison over the course of several generations until the life expectancy drops into the single digits and then the government dodges culpability by claiming the poison is actually an infectious disease and incites neighboring countries to "defend themselves" by quarantining the nation and exterminating the entire population.

yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

frieren is good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Augus posted:

lmao what was Toei on during Dressrosa
when i said I wanted more Robin that's not what I meant!!

I find the paragliding freedom fighters to be topicsl

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1713541232385982964?s=20

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lmfao

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

got recommended shuzo oshimi by some online friends because I liked goodnight punpun but so far every one of his books I've read (okaeri alice, aku no hana, blood on the tracks) has been terrible. dude just cannot figure out how to write a good psychological drama; every character in his stuff acts utterly deranged but without really any reason why they are acting so deranged, and that extends to every character's sexuality in a really creepy way where people will just sexually assault each other at the drop of a hat. did not finish any of them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
dude's poo poo sucks and punpun was hella overrated. if i want psychological horror consisting almost entirely of people just being shitheads i can fuckin' turn on cnn.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Eh I like Punpun but it feels like it was made largely because Asano was tired of being typecast as a guy who only makes feel-good slice of life stuff, so some things come off as trying too hard. Still, it beats Oshimi stuff, where people will go absolutely feral for no real reason other than to drive the plot forward.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pillsburysoldier posted:

Ok FLCL shoegaze starts off strong

Except for the beginning of ep 1

Shoegaze is def worth the 3 episode run time, feels like a spin off of FLCL sans the animation experimentation, and has a very sweet ending. Occasional bad vibes tho

Is Alternative any good?

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Oct 19, 2023

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I remember Progressive starting off strong but fading. The only thing I remember about Alternative is that it was 6 episodes.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

lol

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Ikoku Nikki is one of the best manga I've ever read. Women score yet another W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Whirling posted:

Ikoku Nikki is one of the best manga I've ever read. Women score yet another W.

I wanna read something new. sell me on it.