Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cops Who Confiscated Bikes Carried Out ‘Racist Policy’ — And Don’t Even Know the Law They Cited

NYPD Commissioner: Bell Tickets Were a Tool to Stop a Bike Ride

NYPD Commissioner Stops Breaking a Law His Cops Use to Harass Kids

https://twitter.com/TransAlt/status/1222588615047499777

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Troutful posted:

Good for them getting out and enjoying themselves in nature. If you hit a pedestrian that's a skill issue.

yes but If the pedestrian is an urban planner you're allowed to hit them

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

500excf type r posted:

This is some seriously brain damaged thinking and I'm sorry for you.

None of this is going after "car people" or will make car ownership more unpleasant

Mufflers are not pollution control devices lol

as a component of the exhaust system designed with the engine to function at a specific diameter and length they absolutely are

if you modify an exhaust on a vehicle at all you are modifying the entire engine's performance up to the valves; the exhaust backpressure and ability to exploit exhaust scavenging both heavily impacts the clean fuel combustion and therefore emissions of a vehicle

there's a lot of aftermarket exhaust, muffler, header mods that totally gently caress up a car's emissions and sometimes outright reduce performance but make it sound cooler so people buy them bc they think aftermarket parts are all +hp mods like gran turismo. also muffler & cat deletes, without adjusting the timing it'll usually just make an engine run worse

tbh the number of people doing that is so low it's not worth really worrying about but its a thing deffo

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Racist garbage pigs yet again proving that literally any vaguely innocuous sounding law will absolutely always be used to punish minorities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The NYPD’s Crusade Against Cyclists

quote:

it’s hard not to feel like the NYPD is the older sibling who occasionally grabs you by the wrists and forces you to punch yourself in the face. I don’t know if there’s an official name to this particular brand of traffic enforcement, but a good name for it would be “Stop Hitting Yourself Policing.”

https://twitter.com/bikesnobnyc/status/1071432985067618309

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Oct 14, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

500excf type r posted:

This is some seriously brain damaged thinking and I'm sorry for you.

None of this is going after "car people" or will make car ownership more unpleasant
Oh, good, then, there's no reason to object to it.

500excf type r posted:

Mufflers are not pollution control devices lol

Sorry, "exhaust systems." Do you want to yell at me for calling a magazine a "clip" next?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ham Equity posted:

Oh, good, then, there's no reason to object to it.

Sorry, "exhaust systems." Do you want to yell at me for calling a magazine a "clip" next?

Yeah there is plenty of reason to object to it and if you cannot understand the distinctions between what is being restricted / why eBay is being sued vs random car words then learn about it instead of talking poo poo

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

MLPS bike wrath has the courage to confront a cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH42PQP6VOo&t=61s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3p300VYgs&t=110s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBgkAtpyPQ

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

500excf type r posted:

Yeah there is plenty of reason to object to it and if you cannot understand the distinctions between what is being restricted / why eBay is being sued vs random car words then learn about it instead of talking poo poo

"ephebophilia vs pedophilia" but for car parts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Noise pollution is pollution, there was a dude on a motorcycle with open headers who idled in front of my house for like 30 min today.

Sounded like poo poo, too. Not just loud but bad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

i hate cars: "ephebophilia vs pedophilia" but for car parts
This needs to happen.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Not sure if this one got posted.

https://twitter.com/APPGCW/status/1712534184168739012

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Seems to me that the most logical explanation is that black people lack the work ethic to afford a car.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sorry, but these are luxury apartments in the eighth circle of Hell.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

from an article linked in this one, holy fuckin moly

Kaplan[, LA] starts permanent curfew against late night walking and bike traffic

quote:

“Louisiana is a stop-and-identify state, so that ordinance is not really to hurt anybody it’s just to stop these people walking that have no reason to be walking,” he said.

naturally, this curfew does not apply to driving

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Kaplan[, LA] starts permanent curfew against late night walking and bike traffic

These are just the same old sundown town laws that we've had since the 1700s, it's not new.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Last night the neighbors behind us were having a moderately noisy party, so the neighbor next to us went out and started up his dumb Harley and full throttle revved the poo poo out of it for like 20 seconds at 10 o'clock at night and then shut it off and went back inside. It had zero effect on the party

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lmao

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Blocked in the EU. Anyone want to copy-paste?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Groda posted:

They banned walking and cycling between 11pm and 4am

They justified it because people were supposedly riding loud bicycles

This is not at all just a justification for a stop and frisk style police harassment program

They don’t need to ban driving because they can just say that the driver veered from their lane or had a busted taillight if they want to stop them

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Groda posted:

quote:

by: Rodricka Taylor
Posted: Jun 30, 2023 / 06:52 PM CDT
Updated: Jul 3, 2023 / 08:13 AM CDT
KAPLAN, La. (KLFY) — Kaplan residents are under a permanent curfew to ban the riding of bikes and walking from 11 p.m. until 4 a.m. which went into effect July 1.

Kaplan Police Chief Joshua Hardy said the curfew started out as a noise issue.

“I was approached by a couple of citizens asking if there was anything we could do about certain people walking around at night riding their bicycles,” Hardy said. “We also have issues with some of the bicycles they put like a little motor on it; motorized bicycles, and it doesn’t really have an exhaust, so it’s really loud, so they came and voiced their concerns and asked if there was anything we could do to prevent this.”

Hardy said his officers will not be stopping people walking home from work to harrass them.

“The curfew would more or less be at the officer’s discretion,” he said. “[For] anyone walking or riding a bicycle after 11 p.m., the officer will basically get down; do a field interview in which they’ll ask the person’s name; the day of birth. Run a check on them to make sure that they don’t have any warrants. From there, it would be determined, hey, look, we do have a curfew in effect you need to get off the street; to home.”

If a person is stopped the second time, they’ll be issued a summons. In cases of repeated offenses, they would have to go to court and explain to the judge why they were out after curfew.

Hardy told News 10 the curfew is to stop people from walking into others’ yards and stealing. In addition, police want to control the drug activity that occurs at night.

“The chief noticed a big influx of bicycle traffic during the night and people walking around,” Kaplan Mayor Mike Kloesel said. “It’s not usually a good thing when that happens. So in order to prevent any issues and problems, the chief asked the council to institute a curfew. They agreed.”

Hardy said after 9 p.m., his officers usually stopped 10 to 20 people for drug activity.

“Louisiana is a stop-and-identify state, so that ordinance is not really to hurt anybody it’s just to stop these people walking that have no reason to be walking,” he said.

Joe Taravella, a Kaplan resident for 12 years, said that he’s on board with the curfew, because the drug problem is “very palpable in this town.”

“People are very well aware of the problem that we have here, and this is a mechanism that the police chief has introduced,” Taravella said. “The mayor is on board with the council is on with and hoping it’s a vehicle that’s going to at least put a handle on the problem. I know that it’s not going to be a cure-all for the problem, but at least maybe we can begin to curb it.”

Taravella said there are people out there who are concerned about getting stopped for being on the road for a good reason, such as they are going to work.

“There’s a fraction of people that believe that is infringing on people’s rights, but at the same time, I think people can sit back and put a little perspective on the situation and agree that the good simply has to pay for the bad right now,” he said. “I believe if they don’t do something about it now, the problem is only going to get worse.

“I talked with people all the time who go through similar things, and many of them are at a point now where they’re desperate for this problem to solve itself, but we all know it’s not going to happen that way, and it’s surely not going to happen overnight, but at least we’re going to try,” Taravella said.

Kloesel said he hopes word will spread that Kaplan is not a place to pursure the illegal drug business.

“Don’t bring your crap here because the chief of police is on top of things,” Kloesel said. “If you’re in your car, going to the store, you need something, that doesn’t apply to you. This just gives the police a tool to find out what’s going on with people walking or on their bicycles and let them know you can’t be out now between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m., so you need to go home or the next time you would get arrested.”

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ah, so the problem comes back to internal combustion engines

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

No. In this case it’s about pretext to stop minorities. The engine is just a nice little Easter egg for the thread

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Grassy Knowles posted:

quote:

KAPLAN, La. (KLFY) — Kaplan residents are under a permanent curfew to ban the riding of bikes and walking from 11 p.m. until 4 a.m. which went into effect July 1.

“I was approached by a couple of citizens asking if there was anything we could do about certain people walking around at night riding their bicycles,” Hardy said. “We also have issues with some of the bicycles they put like a little motor on it; motorized bicycles, and it doesn’t really have an exhaust, so it’s really loud, so they came and voiced their concerns and asked if there was anything we could do to prevent this.”

Hardy said his officers will not be stopping people walking home from work to harrass them.

“The curfew would more or less be at the officer’s discretion,” he said. “[For] anyone walking or riding a bicycle after 11 p.m., the officer will basically get down; do a field interview in which they’ll ask the person’s name; the day of birth. Run a check on them to make sure that they don’t have any warrants. From there, it would be determined, hey, look, we do have a curfew in effect you need to get off the street; to home.”

If a person is stopped the second time, they’ll be issued a summons. In cases of repeated offenses, they would have to go to court and explain to the judge why they were out after curfew.

Hardy told News 10 the curfew is to stop people from walking into others’ yards and stealing. In addition, police want to control the drug activity that occurs at night.

“The chief noticed a big influx of bicycle traffic during the night and people walking around,” Kaplan Mayor Mike Kloesel said. “It’s not usually a good thing when that happens. So in order to prevent any issues and problems, the chief asked the council to institute a curfew. They agreed.”

Hardy said after 9 p.m., his officers usually stopped 10 to 20 people for drug activity.

Joe Taravella, a Kaplan resident for 12 years, said that he’s on board with the curfew, because the drug problem is “very palpable in this town.”

“People are very well aware of the problem that we have here, and this is a mechanism that the police chief has introduced,” Taravella said. “The mayor is on board with the council is on with and hoping it’s a vehicle that’s going to at least put a handle on the problem. I know that it’s not going to be a cure-all for the problem, but at least maybe we can begin to curb it.”

Taravella said there are people out there who are concerned about getting stopped for being on the road for a good reason, such as they are going to work.

“There’s a fraction of people that believe that is infringing on people’s rights, but at the same time, I think people can sit back and put a little perspective on the situation and agree that the good simply has to pay for the bad right now,” he said. “I believe if they don’t do something about it now, the problem is only going to get worse.

“I talked with people all the time who go through similar things, and many of them are at a point now where they’re desperate for this problem to solve itself, but we all know it’s not going to happen that way, and it’s surely not going to happen overnight, but at least we’re going to try,” Taravella said.

Kloesel said he hopes word will spread that Kaplan is not a place to pursure the illegal drug business.

“Don’t bring your crap here because the chief of police is on top of things,” Kloesel said. “If you’re in your car, going to the store, you need something, that doesn’t apply to you. This just gives the police a tool to find out what’s going on with people walking or on their bicycles and let them know you can’t be out now between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m., so you need to go home or the next time you would get arrested.”

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Someone needs to stop these loud bikes powered by illegal parts from eBay.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

“The curfew would more or less be at the officer’s discretion,”
Nothing sus about that.

quote:

"From there, it would be determined, hey, look, we do have a curfew in effect you need to get off the street; to home.”
Good thing everyone has a home to go to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how the gently caress do you bike loudly

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehh8ZdIMMj4

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tie a playing card to the frame so it hits the spokes. Or air horns and shouting.

Still gonna be hard to compete with a car though

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

attach a gasoline lawnmower engine is a common way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AiZyN88l0

The cops actually mean “biking while black” though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I also recommend crying kid on the back of the bike. Very loud.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Crashed my bike riding home today, turned into a driveway going down to a carpark where I can access a gravel path I wanted to take but there was a lady in a car just stopped in the middle of the driveway for no reason. Thought I could go around her but there was a big deep pit off super loose gravel just off to the side and my front wheel washed out immediately. Kinda my fault for trying to go around her without stopping, but also wouldn't have happened if cars didn't exist (or if she wasn't stopped in the middle of the road for no reason) so I'm going to blame cars anyway.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

drat dude that sucks. hope you and your bike are okay!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BonHair posted:

I also recommend crying kid on the back of the bike. Very loud.

incredibly rude of that child to not recognize there’s a curfew

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

[EV conversion intensifies]

gently caress yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Groda posted:

Skip to content

KLFY.com
Lafayette 56°
Primary Menu

Watch Now ▶️
News
Weather
Sports
Shows
Contests
Newsletters
About
Jobs
Hispanic Heritage Month
Halloween fun in Acadiana
Oct. 14, 2023 Election Results

Search
Vermilion Parish
Kaplan starts permanent curfew against late night walking and bike traffic

14-year-old arrested for North City Park shooting in Opelousas

Subscribe Now
KLFY Daily Digest

If you have any questions or concerns, call Kaplan City Hall at (337) 643-8602 or the Kaplan Police Department at (337) 643-8600.

Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Read Next >
With one week to live, a Delcambre woman is trying to get back home
Read Next >
Next story
Read Next >
With one week to live, a Delcambre woman is trying to get back home
Next story in 5
Read Next >
Next story in 5

Subscribe Now
KLFY Daily Digest
Our baby and child expert shares activities to keep …
Activity / 1 day ago

To help make your holiday dinner enjoyable, we asked BestReviews’ baby and child expert to share activities to keep the kids table entertained.
Can daylight saving time affect your health?
Supplements / 1 day ago

There’s no way to get around daylight saving time, but there are some ways to make a smooth transition that lowers your health risks.
5 tips for cooking a turkey like a pro
Food / 2 days ago

The turkey is the centerpiece of holiday meals, but it’s also intimidating to cook. Follow these tips for a turkey that’s juicy, tender and perfectly cooked.
View All BestReviews
Top Stories
Humanitarian aid is stuck at Gaza-Egypt border as …
Palestinians carry a person wounded in Israeli airstrikes in Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Monday, Oct. 16, 2023. (AP Photo/Fatima Shbair)
Major crash on Roselawn Blvd., motorists should avoid …
Cool, Sunny, & Breezy Today
Jim Jordan’s rapid rise has been cheered by Trump …
FILE - House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio participates in a ceremonial swearing in with Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)
Top Stories
More Stories
Lafayette shooting leaves one dead; two injured
Acadiana Kidcaster-Bella Gagnard
Cooler weather moving into Acadiana
Acadiana Kidcaster-Emily McClure
Eagle Pass declares emergency as migrants pour in
Zeon Chriss steps up for Cajuns in win over UAB
Anonymous call leads to arrests in dogfighting ring
Front moves through this morning, giving us lower …
More Stories
KLFY.com Video
More Videos
Trending Stories
With a week to live, she’s trying to get home to …
Oct. 14, 2023 Election Results
Major crash on Roselawn Blvd., motorists should avoid …
Rayne woman dies in hit-and-run in Duson
Weeks after bear bit off his jaw, man returning home
Driskell new St. Mary sheriff, Jeff Davis, Vermilion …
Family prays for arrest after deadly Lafayette party
BestReviews.com - Top picks to make everyone happy
Everything you need to host Friendsgiving
Holiday
3 days ago
Michaels’ ‘Big Halloween Sale’ will warm your cold, …
Holiday
4 days ago
Prime Day is over, but these 150+ deals are still …
Holiday
4 days ago
Prime Day is over, but you can still get your favorite …
Holiday
4 days ago
LEGO, VTech, Bitzee among 100+ October Prime Day …
Holiday
5 days ago
Halloween decorations up to 50% off now for Prime …
Holiday
5 days ago
View All BestReviews Picks
KLFY
Acadiana's Local News Leader -- bringing Lafayette the latest news, weather, sports and entertainment

KLFY Livestream
Meet the KLFY News 10 Team
Advertise With Us
Contact Us
KLFY TV Schedule
KLFY News 10 Podcasts
Apply to be a Guest on KLFY
Passe Partout
Meet Your Neighbor Acadiana
Acadiana Live

KLFY EEO Reports
KLFY Public File
KLFY Children’s Programming

Get News App
Get the iOS app
Get the Android app from Google Play
Get Weather App
Get the iOS Weather app
Get the Android Weather app from Google Play
Stay Connected

Nexstar Logo

Privacy Policy
Terms Of Use
Covers
FCC Applications
Public File Assistance Contact
The Hill
NewsNation
BestReviews
Content Licensing
Nexstar Digital
Journalistic Integrity
Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

© 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

[EV conversion intensifies]

The zip-tied drop bar for counter-torque :perfect: lmao