Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I know people with senior defence and economic policy positions who are like this. My theory is that if you go to an elite school, and get good grades, you basically never question anything in your life afterwards.

Will Menaker joked that if you tell liberals that they're Harry Potter and the people they are genociding are Death Eaters, they will support anything, and I think it's true. Specifically, and I wish I knew more about literature, the house points thing in Harry Potter seems to really, really, tap into something in that psychology.
I'm around these people constantly, and the amount of references to Hermione loving Granger by people in their mid 30's - 40's who are professionals at the heights of "very serious" careers should be shocking but is totally unsurprising if you know them.

It's not just because everyone is soy and Funko Popped. I think if you went to an Ivy, Oxford, Cambridge, Georgetown, basically if you went somewhere with a 15% acceptance rate or whatever, and landed a prestigious job or internship afterwards, a lanyard basically, you've never had a reason to doubt and have always been rewarded for repeating the "correct" answer.

So to answer your question, "What motivates them?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMpG-wyE0g

I want to analyse this a little bit further because I distinctly remember how 13 year old or whatever me reacted to this dumb point system when I read my first Harry Potter book: with utter revulsion because this poo poo is collective punishment.

For context obviously I was in high school at the time and I was a stubborn kid. I got into big arguments with a couple teachers, one of them lasted for years, and I flatly refused punishments that were in my mind unfair. Not showing up to detention and poo poo like that. I guess I got away with it through a combination of gerting good grades, being right about calling out bullshit from lovely teachers and accepting fair punishments.

Anyway, my point is I never understood why the kids at Hogwarts accepted that dumb points poo poo. Teachers shouldve been getting hexed left and right over that poo poo. I'm like 90% certain had my school done anything like that I would've come to blows with at least one teacher.

The idea hate anyone would actively like that poo poo is understandable to me on the same level as telling me it's enjoyable to eat glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Phigs posted:

I like how I/P is described as a cycle of violence. Like it's some ancient grudge they've been fighting and everyone's forgotten why but they keep fighting it because they can't break the cycle of revenge. Palestinians have no material reason to fight the Israelis and the Israelis would totally inflict no violence on them if only the Palestinians could learn to live and let live. Someone's gotta be the bigger man and be like no, I will not retaliate, I will end this endless cycle of completely random violence. And then finally Palestinians and Israelis will see their common humanity and their shared goal of a Holy Land purged of all the non-Jews.

e: it's late and it took me a while, nm

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Why is Biden 100% squint now?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

a helpful bear posted:

he's british and makes sure to remind you a lot

i like most of his stuff (shameful i know) and was sort of surprised/disappointed how much he pointed blame at hamas

oh yuck i didnt know that

his Bugle stuff is still the funniest work he’s ever done even though the politics are bad

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

lol @ the perfect American accent

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

The "I say, let em die" guy from Airplane! but he's talking about children and he's real and on every channel in the West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

smarxist posted:

am i crazy or is this clip not beat for beat the helicopter scene from Full Metal Jacket

https://twitter.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1713656130876964894

lmao

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

"I'm confident that Israel will do everything in its power to avoid killing innocent civilians," he says. Meanwhile, here are a dozen Israeli government leaders saying they want to eradicate Palestine from the face of the world and see Palestinians die screaming.

Yes, filled with confidence and most definitely not full of poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

he's not even jewish he's just ugly

Al! posted:

horseshoe theory is when the chief executive seems like he has the mental capacity of someone kicked in the head by a horse

lol at both

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

death to israel
death to america
death to landlords
free al-saqr

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/nodutdol/status/1713403170196726063

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

a helpful bear posted:

john oliver blamed the conflict on Hamas (this attack and previous ones) and bothsides it tonight. not surprising i guess

Oliver lives in New York City with his wife Kate Norley, an Iraq War veteran who served as a United States Army medic. Oliver has said that they met at the 2008 Republican National Convention; he was reporting for The Daily Show and Norley was campaigning with Vets for Freedom.

EDIT: Oh, everyone beat me to this.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Oct 16, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It should be literally impossible for 2 deeply political people to back opposite parties in America. Impossible.

If you're just random workers who just don't really get political except to vote every 4 years then whatever. But 2 politically active people should not be able to make it work. If they can it means their politics are complete poo poo and/or purely aesthetic.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

smarxist posted:

am i crazy or is this clip not beat for beat the helicopter scene from Full Metal Jacket

Robocop 4 looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmJQpjwWVgs

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

Why is Biden 100% squint now?

To keep the pestilence and corruption from dribbling out of his eye sockets.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Phigs posted:

It should be literally impossible for 2 deeply political people to back opposite parties in America. Impossible.

If you're just random workers who just don't really get political except to vote every 4 years then whatever. But 2 politically active people should not be able to make it work. If they can it means their politics are complete poo poo and/or purely aesthetic.

u almost get it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Ah makes sense. Thank Mr. President!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Phigs posted:

I like how I/P is described as a cycle of violence. Like it's some ancient grudge they've been fighting and everyone's forgotten why but they keep fighting it because they can't break the cycle of revenge. Palestinians have no material reason to fight the Israelis and the Israelis would totally inflict no violence on them if only the Palestinians could learn to live and let live. Someone's gotta be the bigger man and be like no, I will not retaliate, I will end this endless cycle of completely random violence. And then finally Palestinians and Israelis will see their common humanity and their shared goal of a Holy Land purged of all the non-Jews.

And they already tried that. It's called Fatah and Abbas does whatever the gently caress the Israelis tell him to do.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Phigs posted:

political friction makes good sex, simple as. judging someone for who they sleep with is banal. at least it wasn't rush limbaugh or lynndie england

oliver's bit about british imperialism being polite is still on point.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

smarxist posted:

This is beyond parody, dear God.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Maybe he should keep his mouth shut too, I can see it leaking out like an unidentified black goo out of a sewage pipe.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

u almost get it

What am I not getting?

It makes me think John Oliver doesn't actually care. He does all these shows about bad things happening but can't even stay out of the pants of someone who supports those bad things with their politics. I guess it's like an extension of liberalism in general. Even if they can identify the problems they're not willing to give up anything to address those problems. Fair enough if he wants to just be another random person going about their lives, but it feels gross with his content being so political. Be political or don't John.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Phigs posted:

What am I not getting?

It makes me think John Oliver doesn't actually care. He does all these shows about bad things happening but can't even stay out of the pants of someone who supports those bad things with their politics. I guess it's like an extension of liberalism in general. Even if they can identify the problems they're not willing to give up anything to address those problems.

he's an artist op

a game show host without a game

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1713516900825645385

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Phigs posted:

What am I not getting?

It makes me think John Oliver doesn't actually care. He does all these shows about bad things happening but can't even stay out of the pants of someone who supports those bad things with their politics. I guess it's like an extension of liberalism in general. Even if they can identify the problems they're not willing to give up anything to address those problems. Fair enough if he wants to just be another random person going about their lives, but it feels gross with his content being so political. Be political or don't John.

It's the learned helplessness of liberalism. "Progressive" liberals are the most useless of all because they have fully internalized the propaganda that limits even their electoral strategies to neutralize them against the incumbent neoliberals.

For them better things really aren't possible, so who cares if you're loving a psychopath. It makes no difference to an already useless person.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
he's british op

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/GMomurder/status/1713662988388012223

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Phigs posted:

What am I not getting?

He is, that is the politics of liberalism. He practically embodies it, and it's clearly a reflection of the values of most american liberals.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

it's this

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It would be nice if Biden had a stronger voice on this, but he seems to be saying SOME of the right things here:
1. Not stepping in a Bush-style "axis of evil" trap, he's being more specific than he needs to be to exonerate Iran here - that's important, and between that and the back-down from Iran I imagine that means there were some back channel sorts of things going on
2. Re-emphasizing the necessity of a Palestinian government - maybe Gaza can have an actual loving election soon so Hamas can't continue being the de jure government of Gaza.
3. Rejected occupation of Gaza as a strategy. It's a really weak red line to draw, but better that than a statement of "unconditional support".

Would be nice if he took a bit more of a lead here and said "indiscriminate air strikes are bad and we don't like them", but making a statement about food and water to Gaza seems to me like he probably has people working on getting the sort of humanitarian aid deal Egypt was asking for going.

On some level I guess I wouldn't expect the US to make any better statements, since admitting that Israel has been committing genocide this whole time makes the US complicit for providing military aid for basically forever. Hopefully the various US/EU countries are invested enough in at least *looking* moral that they will try to rein the bombing in privately even when they say this kind of poo poo, because I don't really see any chance of Israel being MADE to stop by force.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

this is pretty much like a 9/11 speedrun, Israel is destroying any goodwill it might have gotten from the attacks by doing something totally idiotic, evil and depraved.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Biden saying he's confident Israel will protect innocent lives is loving incredible. What does he think happens to 2 million people under a total siege?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1713426485632020561

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Phigs posted:

What am I not getting?

He cares. He just thinks his job is to get his sensible message out there so sensible people in a position in power will react sensibly and do something that will fix things. It is the purpose of the Artist to inform, not to do. The Artist is not a Real Grownup, so they must wait for an Real Grownup to hear their righteous plea and do the right thing. That is how you act politically when you are an artist. After all, the artist chose this profession precisely because they are afraid if they do the Real Grownup Thing they would just screw up and make fools of themselves.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Oct 16, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Biden saying he's confident Israel will protect innocent lives is loving incredible. What does he think happens to 2 million people under a total siege?

He wouldn't know, because he's already forgotten there's 2 million people under siege.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

PawParole posted:

this is pretty much like a 9/11 speedrun, Israel is destroying any goodwill it might have gotten from the attacks by doing something totally idiotic, evil and depraved.

Israel is doing movie Nazi evil poo poo every hour of every day. I don't think a lot of people can process what's happening. This was actually inconceivable to them.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I'm sure the people who were saying the Palestinians had it coming because elections have consequences will appreciate this irony

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

PawParole posted:

I'm holding on to hope that the Israeli cabinet will actually have their asses hauled out to The Hague while simultaneously feeling incredibly foolish for doing so. The copium is strong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1713782224024174712?s=20