Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

wonder how the water will actually get to anybody anyways. the water infrastructure wouldnt be doing so well after this much bombardment, and anyways water pumps run on electricity

Water supply is usually gravity-based during actual delivery, so it just needs to be pumped up *somewhere* once, which could be in Israel, depending on how water supply to Khan Younis is set up. Probably there is at least some of the pumping infrastructure based physically in Israel. Enough for 2 million people? Probably not. Even if it is, people will probably have to go to water stations although possibly some home taps will work. BBC reporter living in Gaza wrote about it today: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67116403

Pretty catastrophic even if water is turned on in a limited fashion. Food will be a severe issue soon (previous reports were saying bakeries and such had generally a week or two of supplies on hand) so Israel and Egypt will have to let in the convoy soon or it will turn into something more horrific than it already is. Really can’t imagine why the gently caress anyone thinks medieval sieges against an overwhelmingly civilian population is okay.

E: I don’t really see what they could be planning, maybe something along the line of what Egypt did in the 2010s where it completely destroyed the Egyptian side of Rafah to a depth of 5 km (look @ google maps) to cut down on smuggling by vastly expanding the no-go zone. But in this case I doubt Israel will remove anything on the Israeli side, and pushing the Gaza border back by 2-3km would be… also catastrophic.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Koos Group posted:

The primary source the person was claiming was the health ministry, and it wasn't linked, while the person's credibility also was not established. This puts onus on others to verify the information and is thereby going against the thread's first guideline, which is that one should provide proof of their claims themselves rather than putting this burden on others. It would not have been difficult to wait a bit for confirmation, as there have been reports by NBC News and Time within a few hours of that tweet being posted (ex: https://time.com/6323482/israel-white-phosphorus-gaza-lebanon/ ).

For further commentary or questions about this policy, please PM me.

loving piece of poo poo genocide denier and enabler.

Masks off for you and your ilk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Willo567 posted:

When Iran talks about getting involve, do they just mean opening up another front with Hezbollah in Lebanon? Also, for the mods, what counts as "Willoposting"?

Willoposting refers to asking other posters to soothe unreasonable anxiety involving a war and, often, the likelihood it will escalate to a nuclear exchange.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Nolgthorn posted:

Israel isn't committing a genocide of any kind. If they wanted to they could have done so at any time a long time ago, and probably saved themselves a lot of problems in having done it. Instead they spend extraordinary amounts of money trying to minimise casualties.

The Iron dome didn't come about through staging a genocide it is a state of the art defensive system. Staging a genocide would involve manufacturing a PR campaign against your enemy first and foremost, it would probably involve scaling up casualties on your own side. You wouldn't build an Iron dome. You would put people in the way of targets, such as what "Palestine" and their majority elected government absolutely provably has. That's a war crime.

It has been said before that if Palestine 'put down their guns' the conflict would be over. If Israel 'put down their guns' there would be no more Israel, and that's the truth.

Palestine is and has always been a region, not a country. Nobody declared themselves a state until 1988, more than 20 years after Israel was there. Didn't apply for international recognition until 2011.

There are many muslims and arabs living in Israel. There are no israelis or jews living in Gaza. There are mosques in Israel. After the 6 day war, yet another war started by its neighbours, Israel granted permanent Israeli residency to all people living in East Jerusalem. There is today a large muslim population because of that.

Before the campaign in Gaza Israel evacuated a huge area closest to the Israeli border, and the best places to launch rockets from. What did Hamas do, they moved back with everyone else. Into schools, into hospitals, and launched their rockets from there. Israel isn't new in the area, they underwent an incredible amount of restraint before ever doing anything other than diplomatic about the terrorism problem. Now it seems like whenever this country does anything everyone is willing to jump down their throats. They are surrounded on all sides by internationally recognised terrorist organisations, which ideologically and theologically demand the extinction of jews. Not Israel, but rather literally the extinction of jews, the ethnoreligious demographic.

Israel has a comprehensive set of rules that they follow in their dealings with terrorist threats. One of those rules involves the demolition of terrorist homes. That incentivises others who live in the home to turn terrorists in, to save the home. Israel has successfully reduced the threat to its citizens dramatically.

Yet they still are attacked just about daily by what else, knives now, and stones. Still they haven't gone all Donald Trump about the situation, this should be a story of virtue.

Interesting how the popular opinion in this thread has changed since 2015.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

celewign posted:

interesting post! what do the next posts after that say?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

celewign posted:

After a casual glance this seem like bullshit and in any case why do you think it is a good idea to discuss now what people was posting and what opinions they had on this forum eight years ago? I don't see the point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a growing problem, but I don't really think it would have contributed too much to the security failures. The ultra-Orthodox parties don't really have an opinion on the military aside from "we want to be exempt from conscription". As long as they get that exemption, they don't really meddle with military policy, and they don't make up enough of the population for the IDF to be running low on manpower just yet.

So I understood Zeihan's point to be different. I didn't think he was saying anything about IDF being low on manpower because these groups are exempt. I took his point to be that because of proportional representation that these groups get people in the government despite only having 10% of the vote or whatever but with their being multiple groups it adds up and that since Bibi allied with them to form the current government a lot of very incompetent inexperienced people got put in positions of power that normally wouldn't be anywhere near them and that is a big contributor to security failures.

I'm not well versed on Israeli politics so I dunno if he is right but it sounds possible. He likened it to Matt Gaetz basically stopping Congress in it's tracks by saying imagine a whole bunch of Matt Gaetzs getting appointed to the cabinet etc.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't think it's a major thing, but while the ultra orthodox parties aren't involved with politics, the "regular" orthodox ultra-right-wing party is. They also push the settlements in the West Bank hard.

They were the ones that caused a lot of things that made the situation in the West Bank to flare up (which they wanted, so they could crack down on Palestinians there harder in favour of the settlers). They are also led by two people who have zero military experience, one of which is a nazi psychopath who was rejected from the IDF because he was a member of a terrorist organisation.

Personally, I think you can say it was a factor but I'm not really sure how major it was. Time will tell.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

celewign posted:

Huge polarization on both ends of the spectrum in US and world politics since 2015.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Thread opinion hasn't changed meaningfully. As isso implied, Nolgthorn got bodied for the idiotic post immediately.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

celewign posted:

Why did you feel the need to quote a post from a guy who made like five posts, that all got immediately shot down by the thread, and eventually probed for bad faith posting, and never came back, and present it as "popular opinion?"

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
No more posting about the forums, please.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

'Israel resumed on Sunday the water supply to the southern Gaza Strip after strong pressure from the Biden administration, two Israeli officials told Axios.'

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/15/israel-resumes-water-supply-to-southern-gaza-after-us-pressure

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

There are intense airstrikes happening right now (1:20 am local time) in Gaza. It's hard to tell if they're actually more intense than others recently, or if people are just watching a livestream with a camera particularly close to the strikes.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Paladinus posted:

Some moderately good news. Israel promises to renew water supply to parts of southern Gaza.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/renewed-water-supply-parts-south-gaza-agreed-with-biden-israeli-minister-2023-10-15/

Unfortunately, I believe this might be the bad news for northern Gaza, if the South becomes the dedicated safe zone for civilians.

OctaMurk posted:

wonder how the water will actually get to anybody anyways. the water infrastructure wouldnt be doing so well after this much bombardment, and anyways water pumps run on electricity

Yep. Israel has bombed the hell out of pipes (while suggesting that Palestinian groups dismantled usable water pipes when taking pipes from abandoned settlements) among other infrastructure. Even with the pipes intact, there's no electricity as you say and pumps are absolutely a problem. It's nothing more than a fig leaf. They turned the water off and then they destroyed the distribution. Turning it back on does nothing. People are going to die of thirst in Gaza in the next day or two if they aren't already.

Temperature in Gaza is averaging 27 - 30 degrees (C) this week and a bunch of people will have been doing a load of walking.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1713629825242403161

Reuters posted:

“Iran’s armed forces will not engage, provided that the Israeli apartheid does not dare to attack Iran, its interests, and nationals. The resistance front can defend itself" Iran’s mission to the United Nations in New York told Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/article/israel-palestinians-iran-warning-idAFW1N3AQ04H

Is it just me or does this feel like a step backwards from their earlier threats to get involved? Granted I could still see Hezbollah become active

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 5, 2023

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Is it just me or does this feel like a step backwards from their earlier threats to get involved? Granted I could still see Hezbollah become active

I'm not sure what your Iran obsession is about, but just know that they're not entering the war in anyway, no one is. No one in the region is stable enough domestically or interested in the immense pushback that would ensue. You can stop thinking about it so much.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

mannerup posted:

Willoposting aside, I think there is a legitimate worry that if Israel continues to escalate unabated while the United States refuses to push them towards deescalation, it could cause this to become a regional war. Nobody in the region wants this to happen, but the current dynamic is untenable to regional stability.

Iran's threats hold as much water as Putin's redlines.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Iran says stuff all day, it’s just show. They have enough problems to start something

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

mannerup posted:

Transcript for Biden's interview on 60 Minutes tonight has been released, key parts of it:

It would be nice if Biden had a stronger voice on this, but he seems to be saying SOME of the right things here:
1. Not stepping in a Bush-style "axis of evil" trap, he's being more specific than he needs to be to exonerate Iran here - that's important, and between that and the back-down from Iran I imagine that means there were some back channel sorts of things going on
2. Re-emphasizing the necessity of a Palestinian government - maybe Gaza can have an actual loving election soon so Hamas can't continue being the de jure government of Gaza.
3. Rejected occupation of Gaza as a strategy. It's a really weak red line to draw, but better that than a statement of "unconditional support".

Would be nice if he took a bit more of a lead here and said "indiscriminate air strikes are bad and we don't like them", but making a statement about food and water to Gaza seems to me like he probably has people working on getting the sort of humanitarian aid deal Egypt was asking for going.

On some level I guess I wouldn't expect the US to make any better statements, since admitting that Israel has been committing genocide this whole time makes the US complicit for providing military aid for basically forever. Hopefully the various US/EU countries are invested enough in at least *looking* moral that they will try to rein the bombing in privately even when they say this kind of poo poo, because I don't really see any chance of Israel being MADE to stop by force.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mannerup posted:

Transcript for Biden's interview on 60 Minutes tonight has been released, key parts of it:

Notice the weaselly, subjective language being used here. He's "confident" about these things, meaning he doesn't know for certain or he hasn't been assured by Israel. But hey it's no big deal if he's wrong, everyone makes mistakes Jack! And Israel will "do everything in their power to avoid killing civilians", a completely unfalsifiable claim. Even if Israel kills hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, they can just claim they were doing everything in their power not to, but gosh darnit, they just had to bomb all those hospitals and apartment blocks that definitely had Hamas in them.

There's nothing of substance here. No indication of whether a line will be drawn for how far Israel can go, no indication that there will be any consequences if they cross it. The harshest language he uses is that it would be a "mistake". Just vague allusions to his "confidence" that Israel won't commit a genocide, even as we watch it unfolding. He's paying the weakest of lip service to humanitarian concerns while basically giving Israel free reign.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 16, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Important to note that it would not exactly be the first war in history to escalate despite everyone involved intending otherwise, sometimes people miscalculate or simply gently caress up.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah. It also seems like troops on either side of the northern border are very much in a "shoot anything that moves" state which is a great recipe for escalation unless cool heads are abound.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
I should also say, people tend to view every actor as perfectly rational and every individual as perfectly following orders... there are some people, whether in the IDF, Hezbullah or others who are really angry about things and just itching at triggers. It won't take much for control to break down in circumstances (ie not just carried away by one's own strategic posturing but carried away bottom-up by soldiers unwilling to see x situation continue).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/glcarlstrom/status/1713818905959977092
loving assholes. Biden isn't going to do poo poo to force them to cooperate

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Important to note that it would not exactly be the first war in history to escalate despite everyone involved intending otherwise, sometimes people miscalculate or simply gently caress up.

Yes, but the regional actors don't actually have much on the line here.

The Arab nations (aside from Syria) no longer see Israel as a threat, hence the Abraham Accords. To them a much bigger threat is internal dissent from islamist groups just like Hamas. The Arab street strongly supports the Palestinian cause but Arab leaders will only pay lip service in order to avoid internal problems.

Hezbollah might get involved. But if this was really a vast plot by Iran to go after Israel then Hezbollah probably would have made its move already, before Israel has a chance to prepare. Iran isn't attacking Israel, this is just fantasy. Iran barely has the ability to hit Israel at all.

I think the real threat of escalation comes from the West Bank. Abbas has been avoiding his own country, I bet because he fears a coup. Even without help from above there may just be a general uprising.

It's hard to see how this becomes a general war.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Authentically bizarre poo poo from the official voice of a nation:

https://x.com/samah_fadil/status/1713890936688615920?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
You can see why famous people are reluctant to support Palestine. Israeli government trying organize pile-ons against anyone who isn't 100% pro Israel even when they are carrying out a genocide.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

It honestly makes me sick to my drat stomach how the U.S. doesn't want to do anything to deescalate the situation

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Got to say I was very weirded out to have adverts hit me on YouTube from the Israeli Foreign Ministry telling me how many people had been killed by Hamas and that I needed to #standwithisrael. Happened a few times this week and according to the targeting info it was aimed at me solely because of my age and location (UK).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Willo567 posted:

It honestly makes me sick to my drat stomach how the U.S. doesn't want to do anything to deescalate the situation

More or less what I put into my letters to my reps. The US is the only nation on this planet that has the ability to deescalate the situation and by all measure the US government has absolutely no interest in doing anything but making Israel more bold.

They don't even need to do anything other than signal that they won't block UN action, for God's sake.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Willo567 posted:

They don't even have the balls to lean on Israel to let foreign nationals stuck at the Rafah crossing through, they're not going to care as Israel kills all of Gaza it seems.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

team overhead smash posted:

Got to say I was very weirded out to have adverts hit me on YouTube from the Israeli Foreign Ministry telling me how many people had been killed by Hamas and that I needed to #standwithisrael. Happened a few times this week and according to the targeting info it was aimed at me solely because of my age and location (UK).

I saw the same on TwitterX with it looking like a reply on a discussion thread about the war.

Lots of pictures of the atrocities Hama's has done on the advert.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CuddleCryptid posted:

More or less what I put into my letters to my reps. The US is the only nation on this planet that has the ability to deescalate the situation and by all measure the US government has absolutely no interest in doing anything but making Israel more bold.

They don't even need to do anything other than signal that they won't block UN action, for God's sake.
The ‘bright’ side of the House being dysfunctional is that they aren’t passing bills to give Israel additional military aid right now

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Nail Rat posted:

They don't even have the balls to lean on Israel to let foreign nationals stuck at the Rafah crossing through, they're not going to care as Israel kills all of Gaza it seems.

https://x.com/glcarlstrom/status/1713857988144910586?s=46

Sounds like the multipolar world people wished for. :v:

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ‘bright’ side of the House being dysfunctional is that they aren’t passing bills to give Israel additional military aid right now

As is Ukraine military aid.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Gigi Hadid's instagram message seemed pretty bland and corporately even handed and fair, given her Palestinian family links. Like it rejected any violence against Jewish people, and terrorism is wrong and counterproductive. And yet it generates a batshit insane foaming at the mouth response like that.

Its extraordinary that Hamas' attack is barely a week old and Israel is already pissing away the sympathy it created - even in the West - because they can't help themselves in their lust for vengeance and Palestinian blood.

"If you aren't with us, you're against us" is a lot more effective when you're a global hegemon at the height of your power with massive international sympathy.They don't seem to realise they aren't the US in the early 2000s - Hamas' attack did shock people internationally, but much less so than 9/11 did and that shock is fading in light of the poo poo they're doing in Gaza. And they aren't as powerful or dominant as the US was in the early 2000s, so can't just ignore regional and global opinion indefinitely.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I doubt Israel needs any additional US military aid to wipe Gaza off the map, even if Hezbollah gets fully involved