Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the actual reference is a fairly obscure link between Johnson breaking a taboo of showing surgery scars and his dismal record in Vietnam, but the cartoon itself is well known enough trope that it would be like a politics editor getting mad about a Low's Hitler and Stalin bowing or Goya's Saturn eating children reference. The cartoon reference is far more famous than the event.

There should be more political cartoons spoofing the Jimmy Carter rabbit incident.

e: ^^ although not by Ian Austin for obvious reasons

Dave Brown of the Independent got in trouble for a Goya reference featuring Ariel Sharon (the man behind Sabra and Shatila, at least as bad as the Hamas massacres but likely worse on a volume scale) and Israel's elections in the 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

It's an obvious reference to the LBJ Vietnam scar cartoon

At some point we just need to start calling these people culturally illiterate cunts, especially when they're the same people who defend gollywogs.

The cartoon even contains a reference to the Vietnam version, so it's not like there's any real confusion here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just in case anyone was getting the idea that there was any level of good faith behind the criticisms.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That person who I'm pretty certain has committed a GDPR data breach is claiming to have screenshots of public posts with the information on - which there is a possibility he could be correct. I actually want to be on his timeline, as the thought of some boomer with folders of kompromat on lefty protesters is objectively more hilarious than what probably happened.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m trying Buhurt tomorrow, a sport where you put on a proper suit of armour and clobber poo poo out of someone else in full armour. I can’t wait, anyone tried it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Question IRL posted:

In other tree based news, more inform has started to sprout about the tree felled in the Sycamore Gap.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/...rder-c-12212221

Love how the guy accused of the tree felling is pulling the whole "wasn't me, but I can see why you'd think that because they did an excellent job and exactly the way I would have done it if I did (which I didn't), and also I just happen to have a really clear motive to have done it (but I didn't)".

He should probably stop giving quotes to the press and get a lawyer.

A clearly innocent man posted:

“It was dark obviously but it was a lovely moonlit night... the cut was brilliant.”

“When I say brilliant, you can tell a good lumberjack by the way he cuts a tree down. I haven’t seen the cut obviously but I have seen it on the computer.”

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 16, 2023

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jakabite posted:

I’m trying Buhurt tomorrow, a sport where you put on a proper suit of armour and clobber poo poo out of someone else in full armour. I can’t wait, anyone tried it?

Just had a quick gander on the internet, dat not be cheap, Jesus. Also, belting people in the head when they are tired is a useful way of moving them around.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Our generation needs a good cavalry-based war. gently caress paying for that, some local duke should be raising funds and buying armour for the local lads to go bash some Saracens

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1713859585407078797

:toot:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Nah, just make Salute of the Jugger real.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I gather I can lend gear for a good while until I’m fully committed. After that though I’ve definitely spent money on stupider things than a full suit of combat ready armour (cough cough virtual reality). I just hope my extreme natural ferocity, strength and skill doesn’t scare the other club members too much :ohdear:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just in case anyone was getting the idea that there was any level of good faith behind the criticisms.

Guardian has really gone to the dogs now, they got rid of both of their good cartoonists and all the recent articles of theirs I've read have been more reactionary than Independent and the BBC.

It's like Torygraph-lite these days, just constantly screeching about trans people and radical left.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Thanks for the steer about contesting the fixed penalty.

I re-read the letter and (while it took a bit of time to decipher) it turns out if i pay it now it's only £30. So yeah, more of a principle thing.

It's also from the city of Edinburgh council rather than some weird private company, so it kinda has to be paid, I guess, if it'll just be the black-and-white "you done wrong pal" mentality.

I was wondering about the situation where you maybe have to get out of the way for an ambulance or a broken-down car or something. Feels kinda cheeky that you'd get this fine and then have to pay more to try contesting it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nominative determinism as usual

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Turns out we shouldn't have elected him.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
even if the editor knows what the cartoon is referencing, many people in this thread, who are perhaps more clued in than most, didn't know (including myself). i don't think it's unreasonable to be cautious about such things.

actually sacking the guy is a bit much though

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Kin posted:

I was wondering about the situation where you maybe have to get out of the way for an ambulance or a broken-down car or something. Feels kinda cheeky that you'd get this fine and then have to pay more to try contesting it.

Legally speaking, in both those cases you would still be due a fine unless you’d been directed into the bus lane (or through a red light) by a police officer. Harsh but fair, and very clear. The red light/ambulance thing was held up in court fairly recently I believe.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/fined-for-moving-out-of-the-way-of-an-ambulance/

Edit: harsh but not fair. I’m not sure why I said fair. Very often unfair as per OPs example.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 16, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Steve Bell's problem is that his references are too arcane, and while he's an excellent cartoonist it kinda fails if you need to refer to a wikipedia article to get the joke.

He should just do a simple picture of a skyline on fire with a label that says 'cruelty' and maye some bombs that are labelled with 'military industrial complex'

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

even if the editor knows what the cartoon is referencing, many people in this thread, who are perhaps more clued in than most, didn't know (including myself). i don't think it's unreasonable to be cautious about such things.

Honestly I saw the cartoon and thought "self-surgery with a scalpel while wearing boxing gloves. It's going to be a disaster as it's a delicate operation being done with boxing gloves on. It will cause a lot of unnecessary damage".

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Kin posted:

Bit of a niche one, but had anyone had any luck in contesting a fixed penalty notice and if so, was it worth the effort?

I figure the difficulty of doing so will change depending on the action and city, but wondered if anyone has any experience.

In my case I got done for being in a bus lane.

However the bus lane merges with a left turn (with traffic lights) on the road I was on where there's about just 1 or 2 car lengths of space after the bus lane and the actual turn.

The same road is also often backed up because there's more than 2 cars back to back at the lights looking to carry straight on.

Long story short, the traffic started moving and I went into the left lane a little earlier (about a car length or two) to help the flow of traffic.

There were no buses, and I was in the lane for about 5 seconds at most before making the turn. £60 feels kinda harsh for that.

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. Very similar junction in Brighton. I slid across the end of the bus lane as I had for the previous 20 years of driving through there, but some time during/since lockdown they added bus lane cameras. I was bang to right, so I just paid it and went about my day £60 worse off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

recall Pete Boner

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I initially thought he was drawing on a paper map with a fountain pen.

It took me a good minute of staring directly at it to realise it was his skin.

And yeah I'd never get the LBJ cartoon reference

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Caution works both ways though, so immediately assuming an antisemitic Merchant of Venice reference is absurd, unless they'd also see a political caricature of a Black leader playing Reversi as a racist Shakespeare reference rather than a possibly clumsily done politics reference.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

winegums posted:

Honestly I saw the cartoon and thought "self-surgery with a scalpel while wearing boxing gloves. It's going to be a disaster as it's a delicate operation being done with boxing gloves on. It will cause a lot of unnecessary damage".

That's a good interpretation but from my understanding of Steve Bell, the boxing gloves are probably a reference to a joke he told twenty years ago and then just kept repeating the iconography of

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Just to be on the safe side, all future satirical cartoons will be in the style of Matt where it's just the same little white twerp and his wife over and over again.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tigey posted:

I initially thought he was drawing on a paper map with a fountain pen.

It took me a good minute of staring directly at it to realise it was his skin.

And yeah I'd never get the LBJ cartoon reference

I have never got one of his references

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just was invited to write a little message on a kudoboard to my manager in honour of "Boss's Day", by one of the US-based weirdos on my team. Obviously I did it because it took 5 seconds and cost me nothing but my dignity (for sale; never used). But it's a deeply insane and cringe bit of Yank bullshit that I have now participated in and I feel like I need to go recite ten verses of Das Kapital while facing a wall

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

killerwhat posted:

I have never got one of his references

I usually see a Bell cartoon and, then need to refer to the Political Cartoon thread for someone to explain all the backstory and lore.

It's too much work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Our generation needs a good cavalry-based war. gently caress paying for that, some local duke should be raising funds and buying armour for the local lads to go bash some Saracens

I've got bad news for you about what all the wannabe crusaders are up to right now.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

keep punching joe posted:

He should just do a simple picture of a skyline on fire with a label that says 'cruelty' and maye some bombs that are labelled with 'military industrial complex'

So a poorly drawn simplistic picture with obvious labels on everything. ie: a Ben Garrison cartoon.

Except portraying the cruelty & racism to and genocide of Palestinians as bad things instead of good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

Just to be on the safe side, all future satirical cartoons will be in the style of Matt where it's just the same little white twerp and his wife over and over again.
That's why they pay him half a million a year. He's the only cartoonist willing to do the telegraph every day that didn't also have a long history of doing the drawings for marmalade jars.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Steve Bell's problem is that his references are too arcane, and while he's an excellent cartoonist it kinda fails if you need to refer to a wikipedia article to get the joke.

This is like the entire history of political cartooning going back at least to the 19th century & Punch magazine, referring to things which means nothing unless you are a political cartoonist. Honestly, even if I don't always get them, I'd rather that than DEBT and DEATH and other blatantly obvious things being labelled over an overcrowded mess. At least Bell's political grotesqueries are interesting & horrifying to look at usually. And even when you don't get the reference he's the rare political cartoonist is actually funny sometimes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just was invited to write a little message on a kudoboard to my manager in honour of "Boss's Day", by one of the US-based weirdos on my team. Obviously I did it because it took 5 seconds and cost me nothing but my dignity (for sale; never used). But it's a deeply insane and cringe bit of Yank bullshit that I have now participated in and I feel like I need to go recite ten verses of Das Kapital while facing a wall

But.. Why?? Just ignore those psychos.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

winegums posted:

I also thought this. If it works on that level and is a reference to some cryptic-crossword level cartoon arcanum as well, maybe Steve Bell is good at cartoons? I have no opinion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

This is like the entire history of political cartooning going back at least to the 19th century & Punch magazine, referring to things which means nothing unless you are a political cartoonist.
Even to the point that it leaks back into reality (or politics at least), like donkey and elephant party logos in the US, or Tory in its path from Irish insult to word that everyone knows means Conservative but not why.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

As I said, because it took 5 seconds and was free. If it was "put a fiver in a card" or "let's record a cringe video message" or something I would've told them to do one. The guy makes like 500k per year but he's actually quite sound and helping me develop my career, so a little rear end-kissing cringe is just me going along to get along.

E: also it's a team of 4 people so I'd be making more of a point not to. Even though the guy himself is a German and will most likely just be confused and definitely not give a poo poo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Miftan posted:

Is there such a thing as a subordinate day?

Regardless I do actually quite like my boss and have been thinking about writing a positive note for them in one of the corporate programs, so I dunno, sometimes there are good bosses too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A good boss should be willing to:

* Turn a blind eye to acceptable skiving
* Give at least a good rating in an annual review regardless of performance
* Take the hit for any fuckups that your guys do, and then berate them for it mercilessley in the groupchat

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Labour Manifesto 2024: Sometimes there are good bosses too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Is there such a thing as a subordinate day?

I suppose that would be Labour Day