Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The 49ers had like three very bad calls against them. That fumble by PJ Walker would've ended up in points for them and the refs started flagging them for playing defense at the end of the game. Meanwhile, Jalen Hurts just kinda threw a bunch of picks to lose.

Bills needing an awful no call to get bailed out against the Giants is kind of sad for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The refs should have absolutely called it, but the defender was right for not letting that pass get completed by any means necessary.

Maybe refs should be instructed to really watch out for it in situations like that because CBs are gonna hold on for dear life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Eagles looked like complete poo poo. probably my favorite game of the season so far, gently caress this team lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Don't forget that RTP penalty against the Giants where they hit Allen's arm and it wasn't roughing in any way

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I half expected the bengals to catch one on that 4th down

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The refs gifted the browns a phantom personal foul, turning what would've been 4th and 11 deep in their own territory into a first down at midfield on their game winning drive, and the Niners still had to first settle for a 40-yard FG with first down and 40 seconds left, and then miss that FG, to lose the game.

Eagles just lmao'ed their game away.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I know they're noting that the cowboys didn't play yet but didn't the browns already have a bye week?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Papercut posted:

The refs gifted the browns a phantom personal foul, turning what would've been 4th and 11 deep in their own territory into a first down at midfield on their game winning drive, and the Niners still had to first settle for a 40-yard FG with first down and 40 seconds left, and then miss that FG, to lose the game.

Eagles just lmao'ed their game away.

Wait really? I'm surprised they didn't trust Purdy enough to gain at least a handful of yards, plenty of time to clock it.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I know they're noting that the cowboys didn't play yet but didn't the browns already have a bye week?

Yeah, they played the Titans Week 2.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wait really? I'm surprised they didn't trust Purdy enough to gain at least a handful of yards, plenty of time to clock it.

Shanahan turtled up into his old self for a game

quote:

1st & 10 at CLE 26
(0:45 - 4th) J.Mason right guard to CLV 23 for 3 yards (R.McLeod).
2nd & 7 at CLE 23
(0:09 - 4th) (No Huddle) B.Purdy spiked the ball to stop the clock.
(0:09 - 4th) Timeout #3 by CLV at 00:09.
3rd & 7 at CLE 23
(0:09 - 4th) J.Moody 41 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shanahan is a terrible gameday coach. just the most anti-clutch guy on Earth, he's worse than Eagles-era Andy Reid

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I still cant get over that. 40 seconds and you couldn’t even bother to try to get more yards.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I wasn't really *mad* about it but it was especially weird because the previous possession was the opposite, with like 3:30 left and the lead they called three straight passes. Not really masterful insight here but still, definitely Shanny's worst game of the season. The game management, drive-killing cutesy poo poo, multiple bootlegs right into untouched linebackers, I really do like Shanahan but he was just really thoroughly owned yesterday for pretty much all the usual reasons that occasionally get him really thoroughly owned.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Maybe the eagles niners game will be ultimate battle of which coach can gently caress up closing out a game more.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if they brought in a good offensive playcaller that team would be terrifying. not even a new OC, just someone who can call the offense when things get rough. Kyle hasn't been capable of that since Washington. as it is now, if your defense manages some key stops there's a good chance that Shanahan will beat the 49ers for you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The way the Browns defense played all day, especially the way the entire d line seemed to start every snap about 3 yards past the line of scrimmage, it was reasonable to be conservative. Like prior to that drive, SF had 21 total yards for the entire second half. And every coach is gonna expect their kicker to be able to make a 40 yard FG. But yeah it looks much worse given the result.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think it would go a long way if he just had like an emergency, keep it simple bag of tricks when the team is just way out of sync. I'm not gonna complain that the team uses a ton of motions and play actions and crap because it obviously works great 90% of the time but around the time you're taking a delay of game because Ray Ray McCloud is running the fullback's motion, you should have some ability to simplify and hopefully settle everyone in.

Like the best drives of the day were the first (scripted, probably run 1000 times over the week) and the last (straightforward shotgun two minute drill). I'm not guaranteeing it would've gotten anywhere against the Browns D and with everyone playing like crap, but all the shifting and motions and twisting play actions and poo poo for -2 yards, it was like being the fancy sword guy who gets shot by Indiana Jones

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Shanahan was right to be conservative. The Browns have a tremendous defense. The likelihood of a major negative play is too great to bother with anything other than setting up the field goal. It was 41 yards. A miss from 41 yards is on nobody but the kicking unit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shindragon posted:

Get rekt'd. :colbert:

Defensed played very well but 49ers offense was loving terrible. Purdy was just off all day and Kyle playcalling in the late 4th was loving terrible. 3 Minutes and you throw a pass every drive even though Purdy has been not connecting all day.

Also I will repeat.

NEVER

EVER

WIN BY AN FG. You had like 40 loving seconds to get the redzone TD and one timeout you dipshit.

I mean I feel pretty ok if what it takes to be beat the Niners by 2 on a last second missed field goal is horrific weather, injuries to 3-4 of their 10 best players, the other best defense in the league, and two atrocious calls right at the end

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Shanahan was right to be conservative. The Browns have a tremendous defense. The likelihood of a major negative play is too great to bother with anything other than setting up the field goal. It was 41 yards. A miss from 41 yards is on nobody but the kicking unit.

Yeah. We were in range and the rain just defended the kick. It happens

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t forget the Browns won starting an XFL QB.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1713943869296119927?t=h_LrvTTqG5sNIxmtO43rBQ&s=19

7.5!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And they started the game without their All Pro o-lineman and RB, instead of losing them mid game.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That would be more impressive if QBR was a real stat.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That defense is very much for real and if the offense weren’t crippled by a caricature of bad karma I think they’d be the best team in the AFC. Too bad about the rapist albatross around their neck

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've kinda come around on QBR as being...fine. It's basically EPA/Play which is also...fine, with a few twists due to game time or high leverage situations or whatever the hell.

I'm not gonna say it's great, but it's probably a bit better than old school passer rating we grew up with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it basically only matters in aggregate when used to measure a defense, in terms of individual games or even individual quarterbacks it's not especially illustrative

Papercut posted:

The way the Browns defense played all day, especially the way the entire d line seemed to start every snap about 3 yards past the line of scrimmage, it was reasonable to be conservative.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Shanahan was right to be conservative.

shannypilled response to an easily preventable loss with terrible coaching decisions: He Was Right Actually

indigi fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 16, 2023

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

The Puppy Bowl posted:

May I direct you to the other two stats then?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

shannypilled response to an easily preventable loss with terrible coaching decisions: He Was Right Actually

Every coach in the league is going to gently caress up game management or play calling sometimes. And sometimes the defense just has your number. Shanahan isn’t unique in that regard except that his baseline performance is way better than most other coaches so it’s more noticeable when he fails.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DeimosRising posted:

That defense is very much for real and if the offense weren’t crippled by a caricature of bad karma I think they’d be the best team in the AFC. Too bad about the rapist albatross around their neck

The Ravens beat the Browns very handily by the 2nd quarter, then coasted the whole second half. That's part of why Cleveland's per game defensive stats look so good. It's basically the one game where Baltimore's offense wasn't burdened by self inflicted wounds. The only caveat is Cleveland started Dorian Thompson-Robinson at QB, who is a significant step down from Malik Willis. The constant 3 and outs and bad field position put the Browns defense in a bad spot.

Cleveland's defense is very good, but reserving them a place in history after 5 games is an artifact of talking heads needing something to talk about all week. None of this is to take anything away from Myles Garrett. He is the best defensive player in the league. Garrett, Bruce Smith, and Bubba Smith appear to be the only defensive players drafted first overall who actually lived up to it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's why I compared him to early Andy Reid. he's very good at everything but managing these sorts of games, which he has been his entire career so far. maybe he'll get it turned around when he's coaching the Bengals in 2029

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

it basically only matters in aggregate when used to measure a defense, in terms of individual games or even individual quarterbacks it's not especially illustrative

Yeah this is the problem with all football stats I think.

This is not baseball, we do not have the sample sizes needed for true moneyballing over here without there being some sort of eye test involved.

e: for this conversation the Browns by eye test do seem pretty damned good on D.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

that's why I compared him to early Andy Reid. he's very good at everything but managing these sorts of games, which he has been his entire career so far. maybe he'll get it turned around when he's coaching the Bengals in 2029

Andy Reid magically got better at game management when he got an all world QB, I think those two things are probably related.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

time management wasn't Andy's only problem, just his most visible one. he was very bad at adjusting game plans, his play calling tendencies would go off the rails in the second half of games against good defenses, and didn’t know how to sit on a lead in the fourth. I don't think Shanahan needs an all world QB to fix his problems, but fingers crossed cause he's very bad at evaluating QBs

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The PJ Walker highlight reel may only contain one play, but that play owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MU9B9bI1k

Then the kicker botched it and they lost lol but that's not on Walker!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

PJ Walker may be better than Watson given how washed he is so if he wants to keep collecting his guaranteed money on the sidelines the team might be better off

This doesn’t mean PJ Walker is GOOD mind you but he’s good enough with that ridiculous defense

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd be fine with the Browns finding success with Watson sulking on the bench while getting outplayed by PJ Walker.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Docjowles posted:

The PJ Walker highlight reel may only contain one play, but that play owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MU9B9bI1k

Then the kicker botched it and they lost lol but that's not on Walker!

I was at that game, and completely lost my poo poo with the Panthers fans around me on that bomb.

Then the PAT (and OT) happened :smith:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

All teams seem to be playing lovely this year, some more than others of course

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

PJ Walker may be better than Watson given how washed he is so if he wants to keep collecting his guaranteed money on the sidelines the team might be better off

This doesn’t mean PJ Walker is GOOD mind you but he’s good enough with that ridiculous defense

lol Walker pretty much sucked. He had accuracy issues all day. The defense won the game.

I’m all on team Watson can go gently caress himself, but there’s unfortunately no way he’ll get benched for Walker at any point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

lol Walker pretty much sucked. He had accuracy issues all day. The defense won the game.

He was bad, but I was sort of impressed that he wasn't bad bad. I mean that's not a fun defense to go against as a QB who just showed up a week or two ago I don't think.

This, of course, does not mean he will ever be actually good in any way, but it was nice for him to get a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I mean he only had 2 real drives and it required a DB to slip and for Amari Cooper to ball out on both. Outside of that he was loving terrible and put together like maybe one other semi decent drive. I mean he straight up lost them the game but the 49ers kicker was garbage and the browns defense was playing out of their minds