Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

what pseudorandom name is getting at is that dxvk exists because linux doesn't support directx so it has to run them under a translation layer to vulkan, but in windows this wouldn't make sense because it can run either directly and there is a performance overhead involved in that translation. the reason that overhead may be acceptable and windows users do see performance boosts from using it though is that not all developers are equally good at both apis.

Right by why be so snippy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they use linux

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
And more specifically, the project mission is to make DirectX games work on Linux. Windows users kramering into GitHub issues has a negative impact on that mission.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Linux peenux

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Has anyone said, linsux yet

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Has anyone said, linsux yet

mods???

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I had a dream that Kamiya revealed his new game since leaving Plat. It was a CAG, of course, but you were always on a horse or some other form of transport. Hypersatuated, abstract visuals, you'd be playing as a Michael McDonald type and the entire soundtrack was yacht rock. So a guy and a horse jumping skyward, hitting fools with a 20-hit air combo to What a Fool Believes.

Anyway, I thought it was important that this thread know about Hideki's next project.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It does seem likely that he'd announce his project by invading someone's dream.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ghostlight posted:

what pseudorandom name is getting at is that dxvk exists because linux doesn't support directx so it has to run them under a translation layer to vulkan, but in windows this wouldn't make sense because it can run either directly and there is a performance overhead involved in that translation. the reason that overhead may be acceptable and windows users do see performance boosts from using it though is that not all developers are equally good at both apis.

Isn't it simply because the draw call overhead is higher with DX9?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

I had a dream that Kamiya revealed his new game since leaving Plat. It was a CAG, of course, but you were always on a horse or some other form of transport. Hypersatuated, abstract visuals, you'd be playing as a Michael McDonald type and the entire soundtrack was yacht rock. So a guy and a horse jumping skyward, hitting fools with a 20-hit air combo to What a Fool Believes.

Anyway, I thought it was important that this thread know about Hideki's next project.

That is literally Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Unlucky7 posted:

So how do you pour beer in Dave the Diver? Specifically, how to pour so foam builds up and does not build up, respectively?

Goon asking how to get head in the steam thread of all places

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
DXVK might not make a lot of sense for newer titles on Windows but it sure can do a lot for DX9 titles.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I didn't say linsux yet, don't know about the others

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Steam Next Fest Reviews

Starting off with a few quick ones others have reviewed

The Diary
7th Guest said this was a deduction game like Obra Dinn, Curse of The Golden Idol or Rivals. Not in the slightest. This is an interactive experience told through minigames like Florence. Not a very good one though and the story told is melodramatic to an extreme. SKIP

Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom
Not my kind of platforming but I can see why it appeals. Not Wishlisted

Sovereign Syndicate
Disco Elysium but mid. Interesting that there's a full fledged clone of DE now though. Big strike against it for not making failure interesting. Maybe wishlist if it gets good reviews

Now some demos I thought looked interesting with a heavy preference towards narrative games, puzzles, and anything that features a cork board and string connection chart

The Gap

A decent time travel walking sim/adventure game. Heavy on visual metaphor. The writing is pretty good but don't love the emphasis on a family break up and an unreliable narrator (kind of feels a little overplayed in the walking sim and first person horror genres). Intriguing future tech utopia/dystopia. I'll check back in to see what the reviews are after release but very competent. Wishlisted

The Last Flame

It's a solo autochess without the fiddly economy bits. Pretty fun and probably a good entryway into the genre. Wishlisted

Between Horizons

A hard sci-fi colony ship investigation game. The nature of the setting makes for a slightly depressing tone. A combination of Ace Attorney evidence presentation and quizes on understanding form the bulk of the investigatory gameplay in the demo. The devs promise non-linear and open ended crime solving in a semi-open world. The aesthetics are top notch, not enough of the writing was presented to make a judgement but it was at least serviceable. Very interested to see if they can pull this off. Wishlisted

Windy Meadow - A Roadwarden Tale

In a packed year of great narrative games, the text centered Roadwarden stood out as particularly good in 2022. From the same authors comes a remake of their earlier 2018 renpy visual novel set in the same universe. Features include those lore highlights and improved graphics/animations. Has a three protagonist with separate chapters structure with a fourth chapter presumably combining all their perspectives. I had a good time and found the slightly amateurish art charming. Wishlisted

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

fez_machine posted:

Sovereign Syndicate
Disco Elysium but mid. Interesting that there's a full fledged clone of DE now though. Big strike against it for not making failure interesting. Maybe wishlist if it gets good reviews

The biggest negative for me compared to DE was the lack of narration. DE's voice overs added so much to the game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rinkles posted:

Isn't it simply because the draw call overhead is higher with DX9?

Yep. Vulkan is much, much closer to the silicon than DX9, so despite the losses incurred from translating DX9 to Vulkan through a wrapper, there are still huge gains overall because of how low level a driver Vulkan is.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
for me it's switching characters

think how bad DE would have been if you switch to Kim and then someone else in the other chapters

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm using DXVK to run New Vegas at 3440x1440 in a borderless window with an HDR render target so it not only runs better and lets me Alt-Tab, but also gives me HDR (using SpecialK, but AutoHDR would work too I think).

MajorBonnet posted:

The biggest negative for me compared to DE was the lack of narration. DE's voice overs added so much to the game.
I tried playing DE with the full voice acting of the Final Cut but it would take like a thousand hours to play the game while listening to all the audio. I think I'm going to turn the voice acting completely off for my next playthrough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SpecialK is also a godlike tool to fix a bunch of problems with games.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Volte posted:

I think I'm going to turn the voice acting completely off for my next playthrough.

What the gently caress

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Jack Trades posted:

SpecialK is also a godlike tool to fix a bunch of problems with games.

Getting stuck in a K hole is a good way to overlook a game's problems, yes

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Squiggle posted:

What the gently caress
I don't like audiobooks

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Volte posted:

I don't like audiobooks

:hmmyes:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Volte posted:

I don't like audiobooks

i listen to a lot because I paint miniatures

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i listen to a lot because I paint miniatures
Audiobooks don't really work for me for that because I tend to tune stuff out when concentrating on another task, and also when I read I often stop to ponder or re-read what I've just read so audiobooks just make me feel like I'm being swept along beyond my preferred pace.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like audiobooks with activities that don't require too much concentration. I do frequently stop listening and have to go back but it's not really that hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like audiobooks for light/low-focus material. It doesn't really hurt my focus to listen to the Dresden Files (though I dumped that series) or whatever. If it's anything I would need to focus on then nah.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

wait til you find out about the gun skins in valorant that had to be "leveled up" (by pouring more real-money currency into them) after you already bought them for 60bux. it cost like $300 to actually fully unlock them and get the ugly dragon skins

I'm not shocked at all, they had $40 skinpacks in League of Legends and poo poo right? But they were "legendary" skins so it was OK for whatever reason

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

fez_machine posted:

Between Horizons

A hard sci-fi colony ship investigation game. The nature of the setting makes for a slightly depressing tone. A combination of Ace Attorney evidence presentation and quizes on understanding form the bulk of the investigatory gameplay in the demo. The devs promise non-linear and open ended crime solving in a semi-open world. The aesthetics are top notch, not enough of the writing was presented to make a judgement but it was at least serviceable. Very interested to see if they can pull this off. Wishlisted

This is from the makers of Lacuna which I liked a lot.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Getting stuck in a K hole is a good way to overlook a game's problems, yes

I just wanted to say this was good and won't let it get overrun by audiobook chat

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

Looks a hell of a lot like MOTHERGUNSHIP

(re GUNHEAD): It's from the same developer who made CRYPTARK and is more a first person remake of that game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Voice acting always gets in the way because I can read way faster.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Voice acting can convey information that isn't in the text.
I always make sure listen through every voiced line on my first playthrough.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm playing Solasta and the voice acting is so drat cheesy. Kinda refreshing tbh.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

Voice acting always gets in the way because I can read way faster.

Bear Seek Seek Lest

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I just skip all dialogue and post online that a game's story makes no sense

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any thoughts on Wizard With A Gun?

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

I just skip all dialogue and post online that a game's story makes no sense
Same but every post here that's more than five words

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mystes posted:

Same but every post here that's more than five words

This post makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

fez_machine posted:

Sovereign Syndicate
Disco Elysium but mid. Interesting that there's a full fledged clone of DE now though. Big strike against it for not making failure interesting

It using a not-D20 skill check system where 1 is an automatic failure makes this a particularly glaring problem. It feels like playing D&D with a lazy DM.

I played about 15 minutes and I found the writing to be the weakest aspect There's so much of it and it lacks any charm or humour.