Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

smackfu posted:

I wonder what percentage of Ultras even have a cell plan attached.

I'm guessing extremely high, either you can afford the watch and a cell plan is not going to seem like that much money to you for some obvious convenience factors or you can't and a carrier will finance it for you at effectively close to zero interest but require you also to have a watch plan as part of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DarkSky used to let you know when it would start raining soon. Obviously its not 100% but having a warning system would be good. Am I missing something or does Apple not have something integrated like this yet with the watch. It would be nice to get a buzz from my watch saying it's about to rain in your area in 5-10 minutes.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

We have that feature here in Vancouver but it’s not very accurate.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
the apple version of the darksky thing is very dependent on location. moreso than darksky was iirc. but like darksky it's far less reliable than just looking at a cloud, so whatever.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

dc3k posted:

the apple version of the darksky thing is very dependent on location. moreso than darksky was iirc. but like darksky it's far less reliable than just looking at a cloud, so whatever.

What if I'm indoors and can't see the clouds. I guess it wouldn't be raining on me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I’d have a cellular plan on my watch if Google Fi accepted anything else but the Pixel watch and maybe a Samsung one.

Anyone know if there’s a watch plan that doesn’t require an existing phone account?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I'm guessing extremely high, either you can afford the watch and a cell plan is not going to seem like that much money to you for some obvious convenience factors or you can't and a carrier will finance it for you at effectively close to zero interest but require you also to have a watch plan as part of the deal.

Last time we had a cell plan for a watch it was $13 a month which adds up. Maybe things have improved, it was a few years.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ThermoPhysical posted:

I’d have a cellular plan on my watch if Google Fi accepted anything else but the Pixel watch and maybe a Samsung one.

Anyone know if there’s a watch plan that doesn’t require an existing phone account?

The magic number redirection requires carrier support, so you’ll only be able to get a watch line if you’re using a supported carrier on your phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My carrier has been delaying support for two years in a row.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

You technically can get a watch only line for $10+ tax on Verizon, but it won’t number share because you have to have the phone and a watch on the same account to do that.

And yeah, watch lines are $5-10 a month, just remember that most carriers will charge tax and fees since it makes phone calls.

There’s an area somewhere in Maryland near DC where tax and fees are literally $11 a month PER line. I legit couldn’t believe it when the customer called me back yelling about tax and fees (I normally say $6-7 per line).

He had 2 watches, and it was $5 each for the service, $11 each for the taxes lol.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You technically can get a watch only line for $10+ tax on Verizon, but it won’t number share because you have to have the phone and a watch on the same account to do that.

And yeah, watch lines are $5-10 a month, just remember that most carriers will charge tax and fees since it makes phone calls.

There’s an area somewhere in Maryland near DC where tax and fees are literally $11 a month PER line. I legit couldn’t believe it when the customer called me back yelling about tax and fees (I normally say $6-7 per line).

He had 2 watches, and it was $5 each for the service, $11 each for the taxes lol.

This isn’t too bad. I sent you a PM to ask about this more plus that BYOD plan (if applicable).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

smackfu posted:

I wonder what percentage of Ultras even have a cell plan attached.

I used to have a mutual friend who was on the watch team and the one thing I asked him about- this was back when cellular first came to the watch, I think it was series 3 or 4? Ancient history at this point. Anyways I thought cellular on a watch was dumb as gently caress, and even the guy I asked didn't really have a great argument in favor of it at the time. The watches were so slow back then.

He had cell of course, on his watch, but even he admitted he never used it. The feature was frankly not ready for primetime, primarily because the watch itself was slow as gently caress and the screen so small that typing was impractical. It was basically just a phone, which unless you're a runner or something, that's just not enough for you to leave the phone behind.

As a result of those conversations I never got cell on the watch, even on the stainless ones where you have to buy the cell version (which is bullshit btw). But with the Ultra, it finally clicked for me how useful it could be.

The big screen, the fact that the processor is finally kind of ok, and the value provided by the airpods pro (now the Pro 2s, which are loving amazing) means you can finally, truly live that phone-free life if you want. But I guess what really sold me was having an option for when you don't want to carry your phone or otherwise have to deal with its presence.

Being able to leave the phone at home also means I will probably break my caseless phone a lot less since if I'm worried about it, like exercising, being on a boat where it could slip into the water, there's actually a lot of reasons why it's nice not to have your phone on you.

All of my music gets auto downloaded straight to the watch so it doesn't use cell data, and same with the 2 podcasts I keep up on; just auto downloaded when I'm at home.

I'll be honest about the downsides too as they still exist:

1) the processor is fast but nowhere near iphone fast, and pairing can also be kinda slow when you're used to near-instant pairing on the phone. Nothing of real consequence, but it's a big reason I'm jealous of the Ultra 2.
2) I sometimes listen to youtube but minimized in my pocket, with airpods, on my phone. You aren't doing that on the watch.
3) obvious loss of photography and everything that is enabled by the bigger screen and processor

Anyways long story short the ultra was the first watch that I, personally, was like "oh, cellular, yeah this could work". Though if you are for example a runner, any watch with cellular would probably be awesome.

Duckman2008 posted:

poo poo I somehow deleted your response. Any chance you know what the fees are in WA state?

I'm also curious how often people yell at you, is that common? Are you expected to handle that or is there a department you can send these people to? People yelling at support/service staff is one of my pet peeves.

Endless Mike posted:

I have an Edition Edition and have never gotten a cellular plan. I could afford it, but I've never had a use for it. I'm vaguely considering it now that I've been running without a phone, but haven't done it uet.

Trust me you are missing out big time, running is probably the best use case. Duckman also got my phone cell base fee reduced to $5 a month, so it's not a big financial expense unless the fees/taxes he mentioned are particularly bad.

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 12, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I have an Edition Edition and have never gotten a cellular plan. I could afford it, but I've never had a use for it. I'm vaguely considering it now that I've been running without a phone, but haven't done it uet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I got my AWU2. I've been looking up plenty of pictures in the related subreddits and watched quite a few reviews. And it looked Flava Flav kind of big on quite a lot of these, especially the reddit pictures. Either these people are using some pretty wide focal lengths for the pictures, or they're stick people, or I'm just fat as gently caress (I'm like 163lb at 5'9", so no). While it's noticeable bigger, it's way less than anticipated based on aforementioned examples. Luckily.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Strong Sauce posted:

DarkSky used to let you know when it would start raining soon. Obviously its not 100% but having a warning system would be good. Am I missing something or does Apple not have something integrated like this yet with the watch. It would be nice to get a buzz from my watch saying it's about to rain in your area in 5-10 minutes.

Clime and Carrot using AccuWeather are good for this in my experience.

I’d say Clime is a little more accurate. Unfortunately, while they have a watch app, they don’t really have any complications.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I got my AWU2. I've been looking up plenty of pictures in the related subreddits and watched quite a few reviews. And it looked Flava Flav kind of big on quite a lot of these, especially the reddit pictures. Either these people are using some pretty wide focal lengths for the pictures, or they're stick people, or I'm just fat as gently caress (I'm like 163lb at 5'9", so no). While it's noticeable bigger, it's way less than anticipated based on aforementioned examples. Luckily.

You spend enough time looking at watch subreddits (this applies to both smart and dumb watches) and you realize the average watch subreddit poster has a noodle wrist.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

poo poo I somehow deleted your response. Any chance you know what the fees are in WA state?

I'm also curious how often people yell at you, is that common? Are you expected to handle that or is there a department you can send these people to? People yelling at support/service staff is one of my pet peeves.

It’s WA, so while I don’t know off hand, probably high. $7ish a line would be my bet.

And people try and yell at me every day, but then are quickly told I work in the sales center but I can get customer care on the line to help them and then I cold transfer them to customer care.

Like, there are grumpy customers buying that I do calm down for sure every day, but there’s a threshold where I don’t give a gently caress what you’re buying, I’m not here to be given poo poo.

Way better than in the store when you had to be physically in the same area.

What’s worst is my female co workers who have creepy dudes call in and try and hit on them and ask them what they are wearing and poo poo. Thankfully we are absolutely allowed to hang up on creepy customers and customers that are total assholes. It can’t just be an immediate click, but if someone comes on the line dropping F Bombs and doesn’t calm down when I ask them , whelp, you can go get hosed yourself.

Fun quick story: I had some dude call in a week or so ago, and he literally goes “i don’t need any help from Verizon, I just want to tell you how much your company loving sucks.”

I just laughed and asked “wait did you really call in to tell some low level employee this?” And he started going on again about how Verizon loving sucks and I said bye and hung up on him.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Sorry for the dumb question.

Is there a face with a combination of digital clock, small temperature complication and longform day/date complication?

X-Large complications are huge and you only get 1.
Motion is OK but the clock is a bit small and I don't really care about the jellyfish.
Modular the clock is a bit small as well and I don't think I can actually set a temperature complication, only the longform forecast.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 16, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Modular you can put Temperature in a corner complication, and Today's Date in the middle slot. That’s the closest you can get to what you want as far as I know.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I inevitably end up using Modular even though I don’t think anything is very useful for the big main complication. I just like having digital plus four small complications.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

smackfu posted:

I inevitably end up using Modular even though I don’t think anything is very useful for the big main complication. I just like having digital plus four small complications.

I use the big middle one for my calendar

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The middle of Modular is (or used to be) the only way to see your heart rate without tapping something.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right, what's going on with heart rate complications anyway? It used to be I'd always see a reading from at most 5 minutes or so ago, or sooner if it changed in the last minute. Now the complication is always showing 20-60 minute old readings, except if I open the actual app, it will show there was a reading from 5 minutes ago or more recently, which was just not being surfaced. By all indications the sensors and the actual passive recording are all working correctly, it's only the complication that's busted.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems like OS 10 broke it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The dual band GPS I suppose allows for better precision in specific situations, like high rises and poo poo, but is otherwise still limited to certain resolutions for whatever reason (e.g. some weird rear end laws)? Because according to the GPS accuracy histogram in HealthFit, the GPS of the AWU2 doesn't seem particularly more precise vs my old AW8.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Seems like OS 10 broke it.
Sure hope it ain't the same shpiel as with the big World Clock complication, which was broken for all of WatchOS 9.x.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 16, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I kind of like mine, and I'm pretty sure you can flip out one of the corners for the Temperature.
(The bottom right is hydration percentage, not battery power)

e: there's also a white background variation of the same thing.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 16, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

rafikki posted:

I use the big middle one for my calendar
I know I'm double posting here, but I just noticed... how did you take a screenshot directly from the Watch? Where does it even go? :stare:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

eightysixed posted:

I know I'm double posting here, but I just noticed... how did you take a screenshot directly from the Watch? Where does it even go? :stare:

You have to enable it in Settings but if you hit the crown and side buttons together it'll take a screenshot and push it to your phone.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Welp. Fair enough. I had no idea.
Although I can't think of any real use case other than showing off your Watch face, but still neat, nonetheless :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I turned it off aged ago because I'd have coats and shirts repeatedly give me screenshots

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This AWU2 is pretty neat. I took it off the charger on Tuesday at 9pm, it's now Thursday 10pm and it still has 51% charge. Had only 1.5 hours of fitness tracking during that time, tho. No cellular, because provider doesn't support/allow it, and AOD off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Watch keeps making the alert chimes/buzzes but doesn't actually show me the alert. I don't get the 'you fulfilled your ring' animations either, though I can sometimes see the notice in the backscroll. Did I fill up the queue, do I need to reboot the watch or something? It still works fine otherwise, but those were charming little elements.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How the gently caress do you buy Dark Sky and proceed to screw up the weather app so badly? Besides LOADING WEATHER on the complication 50% of the time, it decided that my current location was an entirely different country this past weekend. So the complication was just wildly off whenever it decided to show something.

Restarting the watch just shows LOADING WEATHER so I guess it’s back to not working at all instead of showing outright false information.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly the lack of good simple non-gimmicky digital faces with a few complications sucks bad.

I basically want something like the Unity face with customisable colours, while keeping the top/bottom long form widgets for calendar events and the date, etc… and it doesn’t seem to exist.

Numerals is good but no complications, Nike Hybrid is decent but there’s no option to have it without an extraneous Nike logo in a contrasting colour, Unity is great layout-wise but no customisation in colours. There’s a great Pride one as well, but the clock seems locked into the top right so there’s a ton of empty space.

Meanwhile there’s millions of analogue ones.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I believe in the dream; someday we'll get custom faces.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I just want to be able to select arbitrary measurements for the side indicators on the Modular Ultra watchface.

--edit: Custom watchfaces would be neat, too.

--edit: I wish it'd hide the active app icon at the top, if there's a complication related to the app active in the watchface. If I have a timer running, visible as complication, I don't need its icon at the top of the screen.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 23, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fedule posted:

I believe in the dream; someday we'll get custom faces.

Specified in xml, that you have to type in on the phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Specified in xml, that you have to type in on the phone watch keyboard.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

xzzy posted:

Specified in xml, that you have to type in on the phone.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Specified in xml, that you have to type in on the phone watch keyboard.

poo poo, why not Siri dictation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

How the gently caress do you buy Dark Sky and proceed to screw up the weather app so badly?
I’m also 100% on this train too.
I just want normal Dark Sky back :(