Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I've been posting my progress with a Genestealer Cult over in the painting thread but I dunno where to put this so I figure here is a safe bet.

I built a Sanctus out of spare parts today. This is probably what's going to get me to buy greenstuff. There's a few gaps I should fill..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Finally got another missile launcher for my Iron Warriors Terminator 2.0 project, so now they've both got a proper tyrant siege terminator feel.

My headcanon is the Iron Warriors who are elevated to the elite echelon of the Stor-Bezashk may undergo multiple additional surgeries to become living war machines, akin pseudo Dreadnoughts.

Portions of the astartes body are outright removed (such as the arms, which are replaced with augmetics), and further cybernetic enhancements are installed in addition to further modifications to the black carapace so the warriors can integrate better with the arnor.

Just like the arms are no longer flesh, The terminator heads you see don't actually have an Astartes head in them, they're no longer a helmet per say, more of an updated auspex/auger array while the marines torso and actual head is encased further inside the shell.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

The Demilich posted:

Finally got another missile launcher for my Iron Warriors Terminator 2.0 project, so now they've both got a proper tyrant siege terminator feel.

My headcanon is the Iron Warriors who are elevated to the elite echelon of the Stor-Bezashk may undergo multiple additional surgeries to become living war machines, akin pseudo Dreadnoughts.

Portions of the astartes body are outright removed (such as the arms, which are replaced with augmetics), and further cybernetic enhancements are installed in addition to further modifications to the black carapace so the warriors can integrate better with the arnor.

Just like the arms are no longer flesh, The terminator heads you see don't actually have an Astartes head in them, they're no longer a helmet per say, more of an updated auspex/auger array while the marines torso and actual head is encased further inside the shell.

loving awesome

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Demilich posted:

I love every bit of this. Do you plan on using them for Obliterators or something else?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I've been posting my progress with a Genestealer Cult over in the painting thread but I dunno where to put this so I figure here is a safe bet.

I built a Sanctus out of spare parts today. This is probably what's going to get me to buy greenstuff. There's a few gaps I should fill..

you can post this kind of awesome kitbash anywhere you want imo

The Demilich posted:

HELL yeah

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Has anyone said stiltarii yet?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

He’s got a jizz rifle and his name is the skat man, there’s a lot of jokes to be had and none of them will protect you when he sees you from miles away, just being taller than you ever could

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

It occurs to me that this conversation is touching on what is the core part of a Marine Scout - whether they are light-armored recon, or that they are untested rookies. Having Neophytes in Black Templar Crusader squads, or Blood Claws led by a Grey Hunter in Space Wolf Packs, makes a lot of sense to me. They touch on the tradition of squires following their knights into battle, or Viking youths proving themselves in battle. There’s also more modern examples of Cadet Companies, which are in the game as Cadian Whiteshields.

Also the two are kind of mutually exclusive. In reality recon is actually kind of hard and super important and not something you want to entrust to newbies.

Space wolves flipping it on it's head and making the grizzled old veterans scouts always made more sense to me.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I think he bounces around going boing boing boing on his pogo-stick legs.

Then when he needs to shoot a target the other side of a tall structure he bops up and down so you just see his head peeping over the top.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

they should have gone full Extendar with it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the fart disperser

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think his origin story should be that he was designed to reach things on high shelves and then someone realized the military potential for him

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 16, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I thing his origin story should be that he was designed to teach things on high shelves and then someone realized the military potential for him

After years of practice and reprogramming, he puts seven jars of brains on a high shelf in one movement. Exultant, he opens the window and declares, “I got seven brains at once!”

Of course below the window are a pair of Tech Priests who were speaking of incredible skitarii snipers and how they needed more of them, and naturally they assume Skats the Stiltman is speaking in relation to their conversation…

It writes itself.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Professor Shark posted:

I like the fart disperser

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I demand you uncensor the most holy consecrated BDE coupler of divinity.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Thematic reason is to keep the exhaust plume as low to the ground as possible so as not to draw attention to itself (sitting 15' above everything on the skyline...).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have a third-party robot that I am trying to convert into a Deff Dread. Mostly because it's the only element that I don't have of the Ork combat patrol, so it would allow me to run some intro games with people using it against my other forces.

Most of this is going fine but I suck at making power klaws for it. Anyone have good suggestions on bits that would work, either 40k or 3rd party? Or good advice on how to build a couple klaws on my own? Right now they end up looking very basic and I am struggling with how to make them look right.

I would just steal the arms off my Penitent Engine but I need that for the Sisterss combat patrol.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Got any spare, unused Orks with power claws laying around? Some of those claws I've seen look pretty good and jankily hacking it off one model then gluing it on another would be something a painboy does every day.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Shoehead posted:

This is awesome, and characters made out of 'free' or extra bodies are the best kind. Well done indeed!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Speaking of that, here's a techmarine I made out of spare parts:

Totally prepped for a not-iron hands 10th edition space wolf army

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Iron paws

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DandyLion posted:

Thematic reason is to keep the exhaust plume as low to the ground as possible so as not to draw attention to itself (sitting 15' above everything on the skyline...).

It's just not how exhaust works. It would be very difficult to pump exhaust that far down an unanchored flexible hose, and it would be constantly flopping around while still producing a plume. Very annoying.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

OctaMurk posted:

Iron paws

Completely leaned into it by taking the bionic paw from the thunderwolf kit for this

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Speaking of that, here's a techmarine I made out of spare parts:

Totally prepped for a not-iron hands 10th edition space wolf army

How did you do the frost effect on the axe? It looks great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Devorum posted:

It's just not how exhaust works. It would be very difficult to pump exhaust that far down an unanchored flexible hose, and it would be constantly flopping around while still producing a plume. Very annoying.

If it's anything like the Sydonian Dragoons, the exhaust is also an incense censure and the plume of smoke is the point.

quote:

The first Sydonians were warrior-explorers that settled on Mars in areas with acidic mist millennia ago. In the many wars that has haunted Mars' past, those with stilt-augmetics could stalk these mists and yet live, their elevation allowing them to escape the worst effects of the acidic fog while remaining hidden from the enemy. The Sydonian Dragoons echo these tactics, using incense exhausts to emit a mist that confounds foes before they mount their deadly charge.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

wins32767 posted:

How did you do the frost effect on the axe? It looks great.

Thank you, it's just a very modified oldschool method where you base-wash-drybrush.

Start with a very bright metallic color but with enough depth to make it interesting. The contrast paint in the next step will darken the whole thing so you want your recesses dark but not fully black, and you want to go to a full chrome on the highlights. Most of the blade of the axe was VMC silver lightly applied over dark aluminum. The runes were filled in with chrome.

Apply aethermatic blue contrast paint, letting it pool awkwardly in some areas. This is more of a teal/blue-green color and really anything in the cold spectrum will work.

Drybrush a cold off white. My secret weapon is P3 Frostbite. But when you drybrush you want it to look powdery so you just kinda do it by eye until you get it to look as cold as you want it to, changing the angle of drybrushing and the pressure you put on until you're happy. This is more of a feel and practice thing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Got any spare, unused Orks with power claws laying around? Some of those claws I've seen look pretty good and jankily hacking it off one model then gluing it on another would be something a painboy does every day.

Sadly no! I have also been scratch-building Power Klaws for nobs and such, which also look kind of lovely but are tolerable on the smaller scale/mixed into squads.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

For my first kitbashing ever, I feel pretty good about my attempt to make a Grey Knights Chaplain out of the new Chaplain in Terminator Armor

The GK pauldron fits a little strangely but also is probably what that sort of articulation would have to look like, so I'm fine with it. I'd hoped to use a GK termie arm entirely but the storm bolter and crozius don't really play well together. The Paladin antenna thing looks kind of strange in that second picture but looks much better in person.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it worth me magnetising the weapon options on this gravis captain rather than just going the power sword on? I'll need smaller magnets than I have. I would think the power and AP on the power weapon are better than one extra attack from a chainsword?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it worth me magnetising the weapon options on this gravis captain rather than just going the power sword on? I'll need smaller magnets than I have. I would think the power and AP on the power weapon are better than one extra attack from a chainsword?

It seems like a pretty safe idea to me. Even in the rather unlikely event that they rebalance the weapon stats to encourage players to use Chainswords, the Power Sword will remain a competitive and flavorful alternative. As it is, there’s no more reason for people to choose a Chainsword than for them to choose a Close Combat Weapon when they have an alternative.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Most of this is going fine but I suck at making power klaws for it. Anyone have good suggestions on bits that would work, either 40k or 3rd party? Or good advice on how to build a couple klaws on my own? Right now they end up looking very basic and I am struggling with how to make them look right.

A claw is just anything reasonably pointy. Stabbing or impaling claws are still claws. If you want cheap and easy rebar claws:

Get two pairs of pliers, or a vise (grips) and some pliers.

Cut off a goodly length of sprue. Between 1-2".

Whittle it crudely to a point. Heavy-duty proper wirecutters are good for this, but any old knife will also do.

Twist the piece of sprue slightly with the pliers. You can also bend it at this stage, or really go to town on twisting it if you like.

Nick and ding it up with a knife or whatever.

Stick it onto the end of the appropriate limb. Repeat in whatever pattern or shape you like.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Yesterday evening I played my first game of 40k against my wife. We only made it two rounds before it was too late, but it was still fun to finally push around our toy soldiers. We played Combat Patrol rules with my Custodes against her Eldar.

My army was roughly what GW specifies for Combat Patrol, and was a Shield Captain leading five Custodian Guard, as well as two squads of four Prosecutors each. My wife brought a five man Harlequin Troupe led by a Troupe Master, as well as a Voidweaver and two Skyweavers.

We had a decent amount of terrain (some properly painted, some improvised), but I still think it was not enough. I also made very poor use of cover. In the two rounds we managed to play, the Voidweaver easily killed all my Prosecutors, while my Guards killed the Skyweavers. This left me with a single (slow) unit and my wife with three faster units. Had we continued, I think she would have won the game simply by running away and occupying objectives before I could get to her.

My Custodian Guard were as expected almost invincible to anything she could throw at them, but her forces were just too drat fast to catch. Quite unbalanced, but still fun, and it will probably work better at 1000 points, where I can afford some flying units.

Athas fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 17, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
One of the reasons the combat patrol format is now really strict in terms of what exactly you get at 500 points is to try and balance the game at that level.

500 points is notoriously hard to balance even if you both bring roughly equally good units because some stuff scales better/worse than others.

The classic example being Necrons. Warriors regenerating in 2k is balanced, warriors regenerating in 500 points is busted.

My advice would be either play 500 points sticking to exactly what the combat patrols are, or play 1000 points as they aren't a big focus for GW but they do actually have missions designed for that scale etc.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Yes, that's about what I imagined. I still enjoyed the game, and we'll probably play a few more at 500 points to rehearse the rules, if only because we don't yet have 1000 points painted. Eldar fate dice also seem a bit unbalanced at 500 points, as the total number of dice rolls is much lower, although this not really impact the game much, as my wife panicked and futilely spent all her fate dice on saving throws for her Skyweavers when my Guard cut them apart.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

A claw is just anything reasonably pointy. Stabbing or impaling claws are still claws. If you want cheap and easy rebar claws:

Get two pairs of pliers, or a vise (grips) and some pliers.

Cut off a goodly length of sprue. Between 1-2".

Whittle it crudely to a point. Heavy-duty proper wirecutters are good for this, but any old knife will also do.

Twist the piece of sprue slightly with the pliers. You can also bend it at this stage, or really go to town on twisting it if you like.

Nick and ding it up with a knife or whatever.

Stick it onto the end of the appropriate limb. Repeat in whatever pattern or shape you like.

That's a good point, I was focusing on trying to replicate the standard versions and feeling frustrated. I'll try this and some more simple/brutal versions, maybe use it to help lean into the looted look overall. I appreciate the advice!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Reading Harrowmaster and the utter lack of patience the other Alpha Legion warbands have for the guys who call themselves "Alpharius" is killing me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ashcans posted:

That's a good point, I was focusing on trying to replicate the standard versions and feeling frustrated. I'll try this and some more simple/brutal versions, maybe use it to help lean into the looted look overall. I appreciate the advice!

That's the fun of power klaws

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am nowhere close to caught up on the Dawn of Fire series or whatever is going on with the Indomitus Crusade. Are the Raptors playing a large part in it or something?

I'm just surprised to see that they got such a big section on the Space Marine decal sheet and surprised we got that rather than Raven Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

jadebullet posted:

So I am nowhere close to caught up on the Dawn of Fire series or whatever is going on with the Indomitus Crusade. Are the Raptors playing a large part in it or something?

I'm just surprised to see that they got such a big section on the Space Marine decal sheet and surprised we got that rather than Raven Guard.

The Raven Guard got decals on the Leviathan sheet, while the Salamanders didn't. Salamanders get decals on the new sheet along with Raptors.

My theory here is that GW is just varying up who gets decals on each sheet, on the assumption that if you really want decals for your guys, you can find them via aftermarket from people who got other sheets with decals they don't want. If that's the approach, it's more important to put out new sheets with decals not covered by previous sheets than to ensure that all the big factions get decals on all the currently-available sheets.

(And, obviously, if you really want decals for your guys, there's probably a Horus Heresy decal sheet for you.)