Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1713943652387418401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DiscountDildos posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if this source isn't reputable but lol and lmao if true

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1713958322674778463?s=20

lol if this is true

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

nah, that's the same mistake that the Ukrainian OSINT crowd makes when they infer that Russia using shells from the 70's or w/e means that they about to run out of shells (they were saying this back in April of 2022 lol). There's no reason not to use up the oldest stuff you have sitting around rather than the newer inventory.

Particularly since the US only retained this specific model of bomb for as long as they did for high altitude area bombing.

Having said that, I thought Israel had the Gucci hookup for free inventory refresh from the US. I'm surprised they held onto older munitions at all instead of asking for 1:1 replacement with say Mk 83 1000lb bombs.

CHUD KILLER 5000
Oct 12, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love it when Israel leans hard into the "Yikes! Sir, this is a Wendy's. Do 👏 Better 👏" style of posting on social media

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Starsfan posted:

nah, that's the same mistake that the Ukrainian OSINT crowd makes when they infer that Russia using shells from the 70's or w/e means that they about to run out of shells (they were saying this back in April of 2022 lol). There's no reason not to use up the oldest stuff you have sitting around rather than the newer inventory.

Yeah most of OSINT is making poo poo up based on publicly available evidence that may or may not actually be accurate

It was, shall we say, eye opening when those discord leaks happened earlier in the year which apparently confirmed that the US IC is getting intel from OSINT accounts on social media

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Frosted Flake posted:

Particularly since the US only retained this specific model of bomb for as long as they did for high altitude area bombing.

Having said that, I thought Israel had the Gucci hookup for free inventory refresh from the US. I'm surprised they held onto older munitions at all instead of asking for 1:1 replacement with say Mk 83 1000lb bombs.

“Waste not want not”

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

CHUD KILLER 5000 posted:

Love it when Israel leans hard into the "Yikes! Sir, this is a Wendy's. Do 👏 Better 👏" style of posting on social media

It's pretty astounding since that style of posting is only for the international audiences in the West. Domestically, it's been mask-off fascism for years.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

smoobles posted:

why are the lesbians attacking israel?

No no, they're not attacking Israel

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

VoicesCanBe posted:

It was, shall we say, eye opening when those discord leaks happened earlier in the year which apparently confirmed that the US IC is getting intel from OSINT accounts on social media

I mean, they're paying Brown Moses, right? Might as well use what you bought even if it's a poo poo product

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

moths posted:

I got the impression that aircraft are like racecars, in that overworking them and their crews is going to make for problems.

If they've run their bomb supply back to the cold war, are we also getting close to failuretown?

it's only a matter of time before they get to the round black bombs with the cartoon fuse like from Bibi's UN presentation

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

like ditching your little brother once your cooler friends arrive to hang out

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Israel probably has a lot more then they are willing to admit as a basic tenet of the zionist state is inherent distrust of anyone around them (for example their nuclear program). Also, assuming they didn't give most of their surplus to Ukraine and have it hidden somewhere.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Death By The Blues posted:

lol Blinken had to flee to a bunker/safe room because of a current rocket attack on Tel Aviv he is also apparently meeting with the Israeli war cabinet right now

The US public is completely unaware of how sophisticated and capable the ME resistance movements have gotten and how decrepit the western war machine is. The idea that Gaza is still actively defending itself and fighting back, and that Hezbollah is ready to commit to a new front that could deplete and degrade the IDF's ability to fight on the ground is completely alien to the zeitgeist.

It's going to be a real shock to the system whenever that aura of military invincibility - already broken within israel - is broken for the US public.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

The US public is completely unaware of how sophisticated and capable the ME resistance movements have gotten and how decrepit the western war machine is. The idea that Gaza is still actively defending itself and fighting back, and that Hezbollah is ready to commit to a new front that could deplete and degrade the IDF's ability to fight on the ground is completely alien to the zeitgeist.

It's going to be a real shock to the system whenever that aura of military invincibility - already broken within israel - is broken for the US public.

I mean, people were flipping out pretty hard over that Afghanistan withdrawal already. The only way they could even halfway spin that as a win was by showcasing all the money they stole on the way out

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
this is also probably why they will overreact with an insane amount of force moreso then Afghanistan and Iraq to "regain" that big boy tough image. America desperately wanting a win thinking it will just run over the Hezbollah/Shiite Miltias not realizing they have spent the last decade plus in multiple wars/battlefronts.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

lol Blinken had to flee to a bunker/safe room because of a current rocket attack on Tel Aviv he is also apparently meeting with the Israeli war cabinet right now

blinken dressed as Indy looking down on the war room: “Nazis… I love these guys…”

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

you know they just had the sirens blare regardless of anythign for the photo op

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Noise Complaint posted:

what if we made a whole country out of cops

Tired: Big Israel
Wired: Big Cop City

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

time for Dhuhr prayer

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah we have absolutely no idea what the capabilities of hamas and other actors are and they have had years to prepare defenses, whereas all israel can do is turn up the “bomb from sky” dial to 11

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1713968039580881215?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNgN_qSDp4

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

this is also probably why they will overreact with an insane amount of force moreso then Afghanistan and Iraq to "regain" that big boy tough image. America desperately wanting a win thinking it will just run over the Hezbollah/Shiite Miltias not realizing they have spent the last decade plus in multiple wars/battlefronts.

I think (in this context) it depends a lot on how hard in the paint the US elite class goes to prop up Israel. If they just buzz around in the med and declare they did everything they could while Hezbollah feeds ATGMs to Israeli tanks on the ground, that's one thing. If they go full blood thirst and start doing air strikes and expose US assets to SAMs (or worse, they decide that it's time to Punish Iran and commit to an air campaign in the Persian Gulf), there's a big opportunity for imperial decline corncobbing and subsequent over-reaction show of force poo poo to occur.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

trying to understand the brain of a person who wants to sexually abuse children, but also thinks his people deserve a piece of land because God said so

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Something like this??

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

does anybody have that video of the reporter in front of the Palestinian hospital, it’s like ten minutes long and from a Chinese journalist

tia, dta dti

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah we have absolutely no idea what the capabilities of hamas and other actors are and they have had years to prepare defenses, whereas all israel can do is turn up the “bomb from sky” dial to 11

We actually saw a pretty decent indication of Hamas' capabilities a week ago, turns out we underestimated them quite a bit.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

dti

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Judgy Fucker posted:

I mean, they're paying Brown Moses, right? Might as well use what you bought even if it's a poo poo product

It's a bit more insidious, because it's a tool to steer policy. See, if you covertly pay people to produce information, then present that same information to policymakers, you essentially get the policy outcomes you want.

You're not supposed to lie when presenting information in a policy brief, obviously. All of the information you produce in house has to be verifiable, and has some level of falsifiability. I might be flubbing this, since a lot of this jargon is the pretence of scientific method and impartiality, but people bring up Popper a lot. Essentially, if I base a briefing note on intelligence produced by, say, brigade intelligence, someone is supposed to be able to check their work, and mine. I can't selectively feed the information I want to get the "most reasonable choice of 3 presented" outcome I want.

However, OSINT is supposed to be open source and has a lot of media buy-in. Politicians, and let's be honest, government mangers at the executive level, have a more immediate connection to what they see in the media than the work being produced in their own departments. Many of them aren't able to check work produced in-house even if they had the time, and they certainly can't take the time to compare "reputable" outside reports to the work being produced under them, they rely on those same notes and summaries to make that judgement.

Okay, so you covertly pay someone to produce propaganda. That means, you know the figures are all bullshit and suit whatever agenda. Because the connection is covert, you can then turn around and present the same figures to a policymaker as impartial, objective information produced from out of house, which half of them think makes it more trustworthy. There's a particularly dangerous kind of (in my experience mostly Conservative) politician who is suspicious of being manipulated by the government, but has trust in everything coming from private sector.

Now, remember that in this case public sector is paying private sector to produce information that suits them. Doesn't matter. They get one note produced by their own department and they're intensely skeptical of being manipulated. They get another based on OSINT and they trust it.

So, for the small price of paying Bellingcat or Oryx, you can get policymakers to sign off on poo poo they would never do if they saw (or trusted) the figures coming from army intelligence or whatever.

e: You could say that over the long term this becomes dangerous as cooking your own books leads to delusional decision making, but I don't think anyone thought that far ahead.

Griz
May 21, 2001

they should make these fuckers repeat their walk-back every 5 minutes like they were doing with the obvious propaganda 2 days ago

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

trying to understand the brain of a person who wants to sexually abuse children, but also thinks his people deserve a piece of land because God said so

youll go insane trying to understand fascism brain because its inconsistent by design

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Are they taking the long way around or does this have the potential to become the funniest thing ever?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

posting on good page

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you know they just had the sirens blare regardless of anythign for the photo op

Yeah I assume whenever a western diplomat visits they do some kayfabe to put everyone in bomb shelters for an hour or two so that whichever ghoul comes away with a reinforced belief that Israel is constantly threatened. Seems like the easiest PR move in the world.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Oct 16, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

fanfic insert posted:

Are they taking the long way around or does this have the potential to become the funniest thing ever?

anyone know any drunk captains transiting through the suez atm

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Rumours of Israel is striking Damascus again and bombing Lebanon

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1713974050484084924

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1713974490617487644

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
If it was any other country in the middle east acting this wildly belligerent to their neighbors we would have already started bombing runs on their capital

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Iran and CuckBullah should do something

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah I assume whenever a western diplomat visits they do some kayfabe to put everyone in bomb shelters for an hour or two so that whichever goul comes away with a reinforced belief that Israel is constantly threatened. Seems like the easiest PR move in the world.

Ukraine did it and Biden used the clip of the sirens going off in a campaign ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Well now they are shelling southern Lebanon so maybe they are doing something

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1713975403620999553