Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

indigi posted:

Douglas should be fired already, but I think Saleh has enough potential to keep around next year (barring a 2-9 level meltdown)

I agree with you but the majority of jets fans don't and I REALLY don't think ownership does and there is zero chance they fire one and keep the other. They are both staying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reich just turned over play calling to thomas brown, and if he turns this around dramatically enough I could see reich being pushed out one way or another so tepper doesn’t lose the shiny new toy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Reich signed his own death warrant when he complained about Tepper meddling to the media. I'd be flabbergasted if he isn't one and done there if he even gets through the year.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Saleh is in a personal hell where he has to save his job every two weeks

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Has a coach ever survived after giving up play calling duties?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Saleh is in a personal hell where he has to save his job every two weeks
Like, in the broken minds of TFF posters I guess? There's zero smoke there. Neither him nor Douglas are getting fired.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Like, in the broken minds of TFF posters I guess? There's zero smoke there. Neither him nor Douglas are getting fired.

til next November anyway

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Rivera would go back and forth on defensive play calling but that’s obviously a lot different than offense.

No idea why but I feel like Jim Fassel might have?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I just really hope they cut bait on Zach Wilson this offseason and I'm worried that they are talking themselves into thinking he's a long term solution at QB. And I have no faith in Douglas to fix the QB position.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wandler20 posted:

Nick Sirriani coached the Eagles to the SB after giving up play calling, so

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mcmagic posted:

I just really hope they cut bait on Zach Wilson this offseason and I'm worried that they are talking themselves into thinking he's a long term solution at QB. And I have no faith in Douglas to fix the QB position.

I mean they are gonna play Rodgers when he comes back so at that point Wilson will be so off and on I can’t see him being a long term anything

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

mcmagic posted:

It’s going to be incredible to see Zach Wilson taking snaps again next year

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they are gonna play Rodgers when he comes back so at that point Wilson will be so off and on I can’t see him being a long term anything

I think the concern is not him taking over for Rodgers but that they'd decide Wilson is fine as the backup going forward. Doing nothing to upgrade your backup situation after trading for a rickety-rear end old QB in his twilight years was what Jets posters were worked up about

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It’s going to be incredible to see Zach Wilson taking snaps again next year

I just have no idea what Douglas and Saleh think when they see the way they have to play with Wilson. Is this how they want to win or do they realize that they need to not have the worst QB play in the NFL at some point in their tenure running the team? I literally have no idea.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

wandler20 posted:

Matt Nagy arguably, though that was a case of giving it up for his own good, and then inevitably he's on the sideline with a playsheet anyway

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I just have no idea what Douglas and Saleh think when they see the way they have to play with Wilson. Is this how they want to win or do they realize that they need to not have the worst QB play in the NFL at some point in their tenure running the team? I literally have no idea.

You’d think purely from creating an entertaining product on the field they’d know they need to change backups to add any amount of mystery. Instead they’re hard committed to shoving more miserable Zach Wilson performances down everyone’s throats. Or the real answer is Douglas is such a loving baby he’s unwilling to fully admit he hosed up that pick and is holding onto Wilson in the vain hopes he’ll magically get good

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The national media is now talking about "wow Zach Wilson actually looks pretty competent" in the same way that you'd congratulate a 3-year-old for going poopy in the potty instead of smearing it on the walls. The bar is incredibly low for Jets fans.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hypothetically if your backup QB is getting starters reps and looks like the 25th-28th best QB in the league, that's somewhat acceptable? I'm sure Trevor Siemien isn't beating him out.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hypothetically if your backup QB is getting starters reps and looks like the 25th-28th best QB in the league, that's somewhat acceptable? I'm sure Trevor Siemien isn't beating him out.

Sure, but he’s worse than that and if you have an old qb you should have an Andy Dalton style backup. A dude who could genuinely start.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

The national media is now talking about "wow Zach Wilson actually looks pretty competent" in the same way that you'd congratulate a 3-year-old for going poopy in the potty instead of smearing it on the walls. The bar is incredibly low for Jets fans.

He doesn't look competent op. They don't score any points.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

That's his point

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mcmagic posted:

He doesn't look competent op. They don't score any points.

Yeah, it's probably more accurate to say he looks like a regular bad qb instead of a random 24 year-old plucked from the stands and given an awful-looking helmet

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I haven’t been paying attention but how is Reich doing so poorly? Wasn’t he generally considered the top choice for a team this last offseason?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

That's his point

Yeah I'm just worried that the Jets actually think he's competent.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I don't even get how this is still a discussion. If you lose your starting QB, you're hosed, end of story.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I don't even get how this is still a discussion. If you lose your starting QB, you're hosed, end of story.

You can't just handwave that when you're starting a 40 year old QB! The Jets are going to try to start a 41 year old QB next year!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I haven’t been paying attention but how is Reich doing so poorly? Wasn’t he generally considered the top choice for a team this last offseason?

Reich was brought on as CEO coach who was going to bring in all the best up and coming coordinators and he would just oversee it. He did that, on paper.

But instead of leaning on them he's been calling plays and it's led to an offense that scores fewer points than the Panthers did in 1995 when Reich was QB.

He took an offensive line that was built for power running and switched them to a zone blocking scheme most of them can't perform. The receiving corp he built is slow, has bad technique, doesn't always seem to know what the play is, and their routes oftentimes resembles Brian_Schottenheimer.png. Thielen has come along, but on the CBS halftime show they "speculated" that he was starting to ad lib a little bit, and Bryce was learning that Adam knew how to get open. Any route that requires timing or precision is out the window as the Panthers don't have the WR personnel, the playcalling, or the offenive line to do it. And all of that doesn't even get in to how conservative and predictable Reich is as a playcaller. For example, prior to this week the Panthers had only run plays under center 30 times. 26 of those times, they ran the ball. He's done other things too that show he just doesn't have it anymore, if he ever did. The most notable example was callng a play specifically for Adam Thielen who was in the medical tent, then needing to burn a timeout.

It's been horrible.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

frank reich coaches like a 75 year old man with alzheimers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Pats 9ers and Eagles fans, assemble

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

That's way overselling Wilson. He looks like probably the 45th-50th best QB in the league, which is still a massive leap for him.

Like you still take most backups over him, but at least you're taking him over most of the QB3's now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

indigi posted:

Pats 9ers and Eagles fans, assemble

A backup has won the Super Bowl like twice ever and one was loving Tom Brady.

Less than 4% chance.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl-super-bowl-starting-qbs

Even the SB loser list is less than 5.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wandler20 posted:

But the Colts are going to be better with their backup QB playing!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

frank reich coaches like a 75 year old man with alzheimers

Not true. 75 year olds with Alzheimer's will occassionally get aggressive.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wandler20 posted:

Having a competent backup is pretty important if you’re a team with Super Bowl aspirations. Even if you don’t lose them for the season you might lose them for a few games here and there and those games can be the difference between home field and a bye and being a wild card team.

There’s no excuse for having Zack Wilson as QB2 if you’re trying to compete for superbowls.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wandler20 posted:

The Jets have 3 wins WITH Wilson, and were within a score of beating both the Pats and Chiefs. The roster is pretty loaded outside of Wilson.

If you're defining hosed as "not winning the super bowl" then agreed I guess. But an Andy Dalton level backup could still probably deliver one of the best Jets seasons in decades leading this group. They haven't even appeared in a playoff game in 13 years, the bar is not set at super bowl or bust

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Feel the excitement of this year's coaching carousel.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1714004285028200772?s=20

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bierenmy or bust imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wilson shouldn't have been on the roster this season and he definitely shouldn't be on the roster next season but I'd be surprised if he's not because Joe Douglas keeps digging to try to justify his draft pick.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wandler20 posted:

A backup has won the Super Bowl like twice ever and one was loving Tom Brady.

Less than 4% chance.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl-super-bowl-starting-qbs

Even the SB loser list is less than 5.

~4% chance is totally acceptable, you just need to crit your roll

but getting to the conference finals or even only the divisional round is a worthwhile goal and I bet those chances are a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Zach Wilson is motivating the defense by having them make opponent QBs play worse than Zach, he's a true inspiration.