Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I got a new Whirlpool dryer with my new washer and it's crap. It takes twice as long to dry anything, the lint filter doesn't work and it has broken twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
If you think the moisture sensor is why your clothes aren't getting dry enough, make sure you check that your exhaust vent is clear.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I got a new Whirlpool dryer with my new washer and it's crap. It takes twice as long to dry anything, the lint filter doesn't work and it has broken twice.

Welcome to the future

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We had a new (so ~5yr old now) high-end gas whirlpool dryer at our previous rental. There was some "ecoboost" setting that we had to turn off whenever there was a power outage which made the cycle take for loving ever, but other than that it dried like an absolute champ on the normal sensor dry.

We have another ~10 year old more basic electric whirlpool dryer that conveyed with our house purchase here and it also dries very well.

Really the only time I've ever had any trouble with the sensor setting on a dryer is when I have a load which has a bunch of large items made of different types of fabric. For example, when drying bedsheets made of a sheer material and towels made of terrycloth.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our last dryer was a Bosch 500 that came with the house... was a 2012 or 2015 model I think.

The sensor dry worked fantastic on it, even when we set the temperature to low. Just had to set it to "more dry" or whatever and it would work perfectly. Maybe sometimes you'd have some slighly damp spots, but nothing too bad.

Got a new LG a year ago and it doesn't dry for poo poo even on the most aggressive sensor settings. So we just use the "timed dry" feature, set it to the lowest temp setting, and crank up the timer.

Sensor dry is fine for some things like light fabrics... so t-shirts and stuff usually turn out fine. But anything heavy like jeans/sweaters, or stuff where certain spots are thicker than others (for example the collar and hems on my cotton work polos) will still be wet enough where it will dry funny if you don't spin it up for longer.

Re: light chat:

H110Hawk posted:

Going to the bathroom in the evening you want a warm light.

Caveat: warm light can totally gently caress up your style.

If you base your appearance (clothes, make-up, etc.) off what you see in the mirror of your warm light bathroom, when you step outside you can look completely different. High temperature bulbs are closer to daytime outdoor light, and are more likely what you're going to find in an office/store/wherever.

Trade-off is those midnight bathroom runs can be blinding for you and anyone within a 2 mile radius if you don't have a night light or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VelociBacon posted:

I've never in almost 40 years seen or heard of people experiencing detergent or similar film on the dryer lint screen. OP you might be using like 3x as much detergent as you should be or your washer isn't rinsing properly or something.

Yeah me neither what the heck.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Yeah I've never cleaned the dryer screen by any means other than rubbing it with my fingertips, in any of the places I've lived and with any of the machines I've used, which is a fair number.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

My dryer is at least 20 years old and I've also never had a problem with film on the lint screen. Last year, the whole dryer started vibrating. It was a pain in the rear end to take apart, but it turned out that the problem was lint buildup on the fan blades causing it to spin off-balance. I thought for sure I was going to find a broken mounting bracket or stripped bolt hole, so I'm glad that one was a relatively easy fix.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

If you base your appearance (clothes, make-up, etc.) off what you see in the mirror of your warm light bathroom, when you step outside you can look completely different.

In theory you will know what your clothes look like, but I suggest a makeup cheap lit makeup mirror. They often are color selectable and should (lol) default to a higher temp. They aren't going to have great CRI but it should be closer than a warm bulb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DaveSauce posted:

Our last dryer was a Bosch 500 that came with the house... was a 2012 or 2015 model I think.

The sensor dry worked fantastic on it, even when we set the temperature to low. Just had to set it to "more dry" or whatever and it would work perfectly. Maybe sometimes you'd have some slighly damp spots, but nothing too bad.

Got a new LG a year ago and it doesn't dry for poo poo even on the most aggressive sensor settings. So we just use the "timed dry" feature, set it to the lowest temp setting, and crank up the timer.

Sensor dry is fine for some things like light fabrics... so t-shirts and stuff usually turn out fine. But anything heavy like jeans/sweaters, or stuff where certain spots are thicker than others (for example the collar and hems on my cotton work polos) will still be wet enough where it will dry funny if you don't spin it up for longer.
I bought a Bosch 500 set when we moved to our new city in 2007 and I really liked them. When we sold the house in 2017 the buyers wanted them though so threw in a couple $K for them and we accepted.

That said, we bought an Electrolux set and really like them.

I wish the dryer would reverse though. My mom has a 25 year old Kenmore and the dryer reverses periodically and she never has the tangling up issue with jeans, sheets and stuff.

Kylaer posted:

Yeah I've never cleaned the dryer screen by any means other than rubbing it with my fingertips, in any of the places I've lived and with any of the machines I've used, which is a fair number.

BonoMan posted:

Yeah me neither what the heck.
Those that don't have problems or never heard of it before, take your screen out and go over to your kitchen sink and run a light but steady stream of water through it.

Ideally, the screen shouldn't impact the stream at all and pass through it basically unaffected. If it doesn't, you probably do have a build up issue.

I first came across this years ago from an appliance guy I was talking to during a house call (warranty call on a dishwasher) and he said the majority of times with dryer issues that's the culprit. Since then I've read about it elsewhere. I think those bounce dryer sheets and similar are the major culprits. They coat the mesh and eventually kill a ton of airflow.

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe it's a thing to do with ho hard your water is or something, nobody I know uses fabric softener here (Vancouver bc) either so that could be why.
I lived in Vancouver for most of the 90s and the water is indeed super soft. I had a rental then so didn't give a poo poo, although now thinking about it the dryers took ~forever~ no matter how lightly loaded they were.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Just get some wool balls instead of using fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I think those bounce dryer sheets and similar are the major culprits. They coat the mesh and eventually kill a ton of airflow.

That makes sense and is also probably why I and a bunch of others had no idea what you're talking about : I don't use those things. I do have a bottle of fabric softener. It's been here for about 5 years and I think it's over 3/4 full still.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We switched over to using these wool balls instead of softener in the dryer. Works well imo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't use anything and everything is fine. I don't get needing something else to dry clothes in a dryer. Or what wool balls would do.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I don't really care about the extra drying power, more that they cut down on the amount of static on your clothes that come out of the dryer, which is one of the things a lot of people use fabric softener for.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I used to use dryer sheets every load under the impression that they kept static build-up at bay. Never cared about the fabric softener aspects of them.

Whether they did or not, I haven't used them in quite a while. Not sure if modern fabrics resist static build-up, or if modern dryers help mitigate it, or what... but static just isn't the problem it used to be for me.

edit:

Might also be that I tend to intentionally search out 100% cotton more often these days, rather than synthetic fabrics. Though I still have a bunch of blended fabrics so I dunno.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 16, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fabric softener is nice and we got some dryer sheets that also help pull pet hair off of clothes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah the wool spheres help with the static which in turn helps keep cat and dog hair off the clothes much better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

I don't use anything and everything is fine. I don't get needing something else to dry clothes in a dryer. Or what wool balls would do.

Yeah we don't use those either so I'm guessing that's why we don't get it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Yeah we don't use those either so I'm guessing that's why we don't get it.

The static thing makes sense too if you live somewhere that gets cold and don't have a whole home humidifier. Or I guess have a lot of synthetic fabrics.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wool contains lanolin, which can act as a softener. I can't imagine a wool ball lasting more than one load, though.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Really can’t stand that the greasy feel fabric softener gives to clothes and how towels that were washed with it never seem to absorb water as well. Fresh crisp unscented cotton takes some getting used to but is superior and as a bonus keeps me cooler in the summer by more effectively wicking moisture compared to fabric coated with fabric softener.

Definitely never had fabric softener cause buildup on an appliance though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Wool contains lanolin, which can act as a softener. I can't imagine a wool ball lasting more than one load, though.

A quick perusal of google on these wool dryer balls seems to say that the supposed benefits are mechanically separating the clothes and that the increased airflow reduces static while that plus mechanical action of the balls softens clothing.

So maybe if you overload your dryer or it just sucks to begin with they help? Otherwise they sound a lot like this rock I have that protects me from tigers.....

kreeningsons posted:

Really can’t stand that the greasy feel fabric softener gives to clothes and how towels that were washed with it never seem to absorb water as well.

This is absolutely the most annoying softener related thing to me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fabric softener is a scam or-if you want to be generous-a solution looking for a problem.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fabric softener wrecks the ability of fabric to wick moisture and breathe properly, which is more than enough reason for me to avoid using it.

I also can't abide scented laundry products.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think washer softener smells nice!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I use that Lysol laundry sanitizer on my martial arts uniforms as they are loving soaked through with sweat and lay in a heap until laundry day. I put a smidgen in the "fabric softener" receptacle in the washer so it comes out in the final (or second to final) rinse.

We did buy some of those wool balls and use them periodically in the dryer.

Danhenge posted:

I don't really care about the extra drying power, more that they cut down on the amount of static on your clothes that come out of the dryer, which is one of the things a lot of people use fabric softener for.
Yeah, it's not so much for "softness" as it is for static. I preferred gas dryer over electric for similar reasons. Although I imagine some do for the "softness"

Shifty Pony posted:

Fabric softener wrecks the ability of fabric to wick moisture and breathe properly, which is more than enough reason for me to avoid using it.

I also can't abide scented laundry products.
I think someone is using way too much if it ruins the wicking property of your clothes or towels.
I do kinda like nice smelling clothes and towels though :3:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

slidebite posted:

I use that Lysol laundry sanitizer on my martial arts uniforms as they are loving soaked through with sweat and lay in a heap until laundry day. I put a smidgen in the "fabric softener" receptacle in the washer so it comes out in the final (or second to final) rinse.
This stuff is great for stinky, sweaty clothes and is the only thing I've found that will get the sour smell out of a load of laundry that has sat in the washing machine too long:
https://www.amazon.com/OUT-ProWash-Workwear-Eliminator-Detergent/dp/B011CYAZ1Q

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

A quick perusal of google on these wool dryer balls seems to say that the supposed benefits are mechanically separating the clothes and that the increased airflow reduces static while that plus mechanical action of the balls softens clothing.

So maybe if you overload your dryer or it just sucks to begin with they help? Otherwise they sound a lot like this rock I have that protects me from tigers.....

There's no lanolin left after any meaningful amount of use so that's not a component.

The dryer works just fine and is not being overloaded. Using the wool spheres vs dryer sheets gave similar results and using them vs no dryer sheets at all resulted in less static cling between garments and less pet hair being on individual garments.

Also gently caress off with your pseudoscience assertions.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I use fabric softener on everything I put in the dryer, which is very little: Towels, sheets, and (natural fiber) underwear/socks. Everything else air dries (and lasts MUCH longer for it).

Edit: I also have some wool dryer balls, but the only thing I use them for is fluffing up down jackets and a down camp blanket on the rare occasion that I machine wash them. They work really well for that.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 16, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

It took a while for my nose got used to the smell of fabric without any added fragrance, but now it smells fresh and whenever I buy a used piece of clothing that is inevitably coated with scented fabric softener it’s nauseating, it gets transferred to my skin and other clothes, and I have to soak it in vinegar to remove the smell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

armorer posted:

I use fabric softener on everything I put in the dryer, which is very little: Towels, sheets, and (natural fiber) underwear/socks. Everything else air dries (and lasts MUCH longer for it).

Edit: I also have some wool dryer balls, but the only thing I use them for is fluffing up down jackets and a down camp blanket on the rare occasion that I machine wash them. They work really well for that.

I like them especially for bedding and sheets otherwise sometimes those can get twisted up around each other.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm using unscented laundry detergent right now because it was insanely cheap and I miss the smells of the tide or whatever I was using before. I'm not ashamed!

E: any tricks to prevent bedsheets from rolling themselves up in a ball when you try to dry them? My Bosch dryer doesn't have a reversing feature.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

VelociBacon posted:

I'm using unscented laundry detergent right now because it was insanely cheap and I miss the smells of the tide or whatever I was using before. I'm not ashamed!

E: any tricks to prevent bedsheets from rolling themselves up in a ball when you try to dry them? My Bosch dryer doesn't have a reversing feature.

Take them out halfway through and unball them

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have friends who are very into the wool balls and similar stuff. I tried hard to discern the effect when I borrowed their balls and used them (with a control) and I couldn’t determine what they’d done to my usual clothes, if anything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Take them out halfway through and unball them
Yeah, I literally stop it every 15-20 minutes and untangle if they're bunched up. I'm open for better ideas.

Not sure why reversing isn't more common on dryers. Like I said earlier, my moms circa 1997 Kenmore (from a frigemore front load triplet set) has it and still going strong. The controls on small HP AC/DC motors for reversing cost next to nothing now (used to be expensive) and more practical than 90% of the other frills/controls on modern dryers.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kreeningsons posted:

It took a while for my nose got used to the smell of fabric without any added fragrance, but now it smells fresh and whenever I buy a used piece of clothing that is inevitably coated with scented fabric softener it’s nauseating, it gets transferred to my skin and other clothes, and I have to soak it in vinegar to remove the smell.

Drying textiles & clothing outside on a clothes line gives good results, although this is decreasingly practical or reasonable for most people. Especially recommend it for bedding.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

Re: light chat:

If you base your appearance (clothes, make-up, etc.) off what you see in the mirror of your warm light bathroom, when you step outside you can look completely different. High temperature bulbs are closer to daytime outdoor light, and are more likely what you're going to find in an office/store/wherever.

Trade-off is those midnight bathroom runs can be blinding for you and anyone within a 2 mile radius if you don't have a night light or something.

get an electric bidet seat with a light it's life changing

edit: those dryer balls don't reduce static much for me for some reason

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Muir posted:

If you think the moisture sensor is why your clothes aren't getting dry enough, make sure you check that your exhaust vent is clear.

I've been worrying about my vent for weeks due to this thread and posts like this (and the fact that I hadn't touched the vent in 3 years and my dryer dries like absolute poo poo!).

I finally crawled back there today to take care of it and it was clean as a whistle and there was absolutely no reason to be concerned at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I think laundry chat is pretty funny.

We all do laundry. Different clothes and items, different regions, and types of washers and dryers. There's so much variability in the loads and equipments, plus the detergents and other additives, and in what our expectations are, and in what we were thought or our families did or do or never do. None of this is defined or held constant in any meaningful way. So there's a wide variety of complaints and misunderstanding just from that alone.

I'm a minimalist, I try to use the least detergent, and spend the least time worrying about the settings. I pick dry and if it's not dry enough I do a touch up load. I don't dry half of my clothes as I'm worried about damaging my pants and shirts, plus it's cheaper not to dry them anyway and they come out soft and nice in my house air drying. I don't have the ambition to use sheets or softener. I sometimes add oxyclean to towels or sheets. It's pretty hit or miss. I do have a routine though. All my basics, undies, tees, socks and workout clothes first, so they can get dried first. Then the stuff that doesn't get dryer time, and that's usually done right before the dryer is done.

I guess I got lucky with getting a couple machines that just work.