Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Randalor posted:

How long did the Marshmallow man exist for anyways? 5, 10 minutes tops?

i mean as a whole walking entity , yeah like 10 min. but the clean up of Marshmallow matter would take weeks if not months to clean up. and thats even with "help" from city animals.

jesus christ at the rat and roach masses directly consuming mallow matter and then the food chain tiers consuming the that. actually maybe the Ghostbuster should be sued for ecological horrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The whole city glued together, a hellish rice crispie treat

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Is he marshmallow all the way through, or is he like, a shell?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Is he marshmallow all the way through, or is he like, a shell?

They did show a lot of marshmallow "goop", but I don't know enough about marshmallow... uh... physics? to even begin guessing how long it would take to clean up. Does marshmallow dissolve or soften up in water?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PhazonLink posted:

i mean as a whole walking entity , yeah like 10 min. but the clean up of Marshmallow matter would take weeks if not months to clean up. and thats even with "help" from city animals.

Also in the sequel the entire Statue of Liberty got relocated, that's kind've hard to dismiss. But nope, in Ghostbusters: Afterlife pretty much everyone has completely forgotten about the Ghostbusters except a weirdo science teacher
(GB:A pretty much ignores GB2 entirely apart from a few easter egg that appear very briefly on screen)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PhazonLink posted:

jesus christ at the rat and roach masses directly consuming mallow matter and then the food chain tiers consuming the that. actually maybe the Ghostbuster should be sued for ecological horrorism.

Plus people who got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up suffocating.

They're all just lucky that the explosion wasn't heat based, or else there'd be several blocks covered in sugary napalm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That reminds me of being on a campout and one kid flung marshmallow off his stick and another stood up and yelled "do NOT fling burning marshmallow, people! It's like napalm!" I'd forgotten that magical turn of phrase until your post.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought the Nazi salute thing with Smashmouth was from brain problems from organ failure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it was brain problems from addiction, and organ failure also from addiction.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dan Aykoyd is was diagnosed with Asperger's in the 80s. He credits the success of Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters with his fixation on law enforcement and the paranormal.
https://childmind.org/blog/dan-aykroyd-says-being-on-the-spectrum-helped-him-make-ghostbusters/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Yeah, everything I've seen of Aykroyd indicates he's a kooky fellow with a good head on his shoulders, as odd as it sounds. Like, when he pitched super insane ideas for Ghostbusters movie (Ghostbusters III would have been Ghostbusters in Hell if he'd had his way), other people would tell him that poo poo was too weird and his response was always "Okay, no worries. Let's do something else, then."

I accept his cameo in the Casper movie as canon over Afterlife.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also in the sequel the entire Statue of Liberty got relocated, that's kind've hard to dismiss. But nope, in Ghostbusters: Afterlife pretty much everyone has completely forgotten about the Ghostbusters except a weirdo science teacher
(GB:A pretty much ignores GB2 entirely apart from a few easter egg that appear very briefly on screen)

The ending of GB2 has the Statue of Liberty returned to her plinth... but with her arms having swapped the tablet and the torch.

I prefer the IDW comics that follow on from the movie timeline. (also the game) They also have a crosover with the cartoon Ghostbusters, and one with the 2016 Ghostbusters, and also the Ninja Turtles.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I think the world just moved on without there being any major new ghosts. They had ghost videos on youtube if i recall.

This reminds me of the 90s War of the Worlds tv show, where everyone basically memory holed the alien invasion that occurred in the 1953 movie.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Media that hasn't aged well you say? Look no further than what popped up during my Nightmare on Elm Street 2 viewing the other day! :eng101:

They really did not give a poo poo back in the 80's, good lord

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

White Light posted:

Media that hasn't aged well you say? Look no further than what popped up during my Nightmare on Elm Street 2 viewing the other day! :eng101:

Someone made replicas of that prop a few years ago complete with the toy fingernails, just for all the Freddy fans for whom rooting for a paedophile murderer wasn't enough.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh hush

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would anyone want a chewy breakfast cereal?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

Someone made replicas of that prop a few years ago complete with the toy fingernails, just for all the Freddy fans for whom rooting for a paedophile murderer wasn't enough.

Kumail Nanjiani did a whole skit on that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

American children are horrible.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Isn't that pretty much what oatmeal is?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Give me a full English any day of the week

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

White Light posted:

Wonder if this is a reference to the terrible terrible Fu Man Chu movie series

Goddamn those movies SUCK

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

verbal enema posted:

Wonder if this is a reference to the terrible terrible Fu Man Chu movie series

Goddamn those movies SUCK

Nope, unrelated. Wild coincidence.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nameless Pete posted:

Nope, unrelated. Wild coincidence.

Just regular racism? Aw shoot

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
In the original 1970s comics Marvel's Shang-Chi is the rebellious son of Fu Manchu trying to take down his father's criminal empire by punching dudes.

In later years they renamed their version of Fu-Manchu to Zheng-Zu and made him slightly less of a racial caricature.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

In later years they renamed their version of Fu-Manchu to Zheng-Zu and made him slightly less of a racial caricature.

Note also that they lost the rights to the Fu Manchu character in 1983 and danced around the issue for nearly three decades by using aliases or simply referring to him as Shang-Chi's father until they renamed him Zheng-Zu in 2010. I suspect that if they hadn't lost the rights they wouldn't have changed his name.
Alan Moore also used Fu Manchu in his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics but never referred to him by name

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Even though I know it's an old timey yellow peril design, they did too good of a job and made him look cool and badass. That's a guy whom I want running a giant criminal empire. I'd totally work for that guy if I was a mook.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ishikabibble posted:

Oh yeah nah, Tom DeLonge has famously always been a huge 90s alien truther. I'm sure he also probably got enough poo poo about it that he was fine joking around with it, but he's been giving interviews about it for years.
he was actively working with Hillary too, like, "she's going to declassify UFO stuff when she gets elected", talking with the campaign team, whole nine yards

poor guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Some related trivia: there were at least fifty Charlie Chan movies made between 1926 and 1981 but the Hanna Barbera cartoon The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan was the first time the character had ever been portrayed on screen in America by an actor of Chinese descent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXK9ASh_v4E

He was originally created in 1919 as a positive counter to the negative "Yellow Peril" characters that were popular at the time but his depictions on screen (usually played by white actors in yellowface) were mostly racist in retrospect :sweatdrop:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Oct 16, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I always forget just how many mystery cartoons that Hanna Barbera had and just how many of them involved a van and / or a band.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vandar posted:

I always forget just how many mystery cartoons that Hanna Barbera had and just how many of them involved a van and / or a band.

And/or a wacky animal sidekick, and that one had all three. They were really hedging their bets.

Note also that when the series started they actually went to the effort of casting VAs of Chinese descent as Chan's many many children but people complained about their accents so they replaced most of them with white VAs

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Oct 16, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

Back when Cracked was still good, I loved the article where they claimed that the sheer amount of people with technical skills forced to resort to crime in Scooby-Doo (and by extension its dozens of imitators) and enormous number of abandoned locals was "proof" that it was set in a universe where the US had suffered some sort of Great Depression 2.0

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hanna Barbera had a lot of weird stuff in the 70s specifically. Maybe a half dozen failed live-action pilots and attempts at educational action/sitcom cartoons. Korg 70,000 BC is a live-action educational/action Saturday morning show about cavemen. They also had a cartoon about modern people being sent back in time to the Neolithic that was also meant to be educational, but it had dinosaurs. The weirdest was probably These Are the Days, a slice-of-life drama cartoon meant to teach kids about life at the turn of the 20th century. They’re all just stodgy, slow cartoons with plots that just kind of trundle along until someone can explain how something works or how a rainbow is made or where bread comes from.

Everybody knows about Sealab 2020, obviously.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Everybody knows about Sealab 2020, obviously.

The Sealab 2021 April Fools episode where they just re-dubbed a 2020 episode to show how mindnumbingly dull the original show was was a stroke of pure genius.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It astonishes me that the Fu Manchu movies were still being made in the late 60s, but the last one (which was also Peter Sellers' last role) was made in 1980!

It's supposed to be a comedy, but apparently not the type that satirizes its racist premise.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

AceOfFlames posted:

Back when Cracked was still good, I loved the article where they claimed that the sheer amount of people with technical skills forced to resort to crime in Scooby-Doo (and by extension its dozens of imitators) and enormous number of abandoned locals was "proof" that it was set in a universe where the US had suffered some sort of Great Depression 2.0

Gotham City amusement parks are like Los Angeles and football teams. Town planners feel like a city of their size and prestige ought to have one, so they keep making failed attempts, but the people's interest simply isn't there.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ponzicar posted:

It astonishes me that the Fu Manchu movies were still being made in the late 60s, but the last one (which was also Peter Sellers' last role) was made in 1980!

It's supposed to be a comedy, but apparently not the type that satirizes its racist premise.

If you want to be super technical, that Grindhouse trailer with Nicolas Cage was released in 2007, but I guess it would be a case of the latter?

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Oct 16, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Gotham City amusement parks are like Los Angeles and football teams. Town planners feel like a city of their size and prestige ought to have one, so they keep making failed attempts, but the people's interest simply isn't there.

You'd think they'd wise up after the 4th or 5th supervillain lair. Or at least try to capitalize on it.

"Ok, so Mr. Freeze moved into the abandoned ice cream factory, Joker into the abandoned toy factory and Poison Ivy into the abandoned botanical gardens... if we were to create an abandoned bank, would we get a money themed supervillain to move in and then we could steal his money while Batman is beating him up?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Amusingly, he did play an explicitly satirical yellowface parody character in Murder by Death just a few years prior. I guess he didn't really get the message.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Looks like a tough guy Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Some related trivia: there were at least fifty Charlie Chan movies made between 1926 and 1981 but the Hanna Barbera cartoon The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan was the first time the character had ever been portrayed on screen in America by an actor of Chinese descent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXK9ASh_v4E

He was originally created in 1919 as a positive counter to the negative "Yellow Peril" characters that were popular at the time but his depictions on screen (usually played by white actors in yellowface) were mostly racist in retrospect :sweatdrop:

As someone completely uninformed as to the canon of either Fu Manchu or Charlie Chan, it feels like a missed opportunity if they never had a story where the latter tried to foil the schemes of the former

That's like a Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper level obvious crossover