Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sirotan posted:

iirc the end credits were changed and there's studio ads in them now

I heard that rumor too, so I popped my disc in and can confirm this is completely false. Maybe it’s something that can happen if you play it on an internet connected device or a PS5, but I’m seeing normal credits with the cheesiest early 00s metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only time I’ve ever enjoyed the RE movies is that old RedLetter video where they marathon them with Rich and it’s basically just an uncut 20 minutes of him laughing uncontrollably at the Wesker fight.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Liar Lyre posted:

I heard that rumor too, so I popped my disc in and can confirm this is completely false. Maybe it’s something that can happen if you play it on an internet connected device or a PS5, but I’m seeing normal credits with the cheesiest early 00s metal.

yeah its probably just if your system is hooked up to the internet which if you are running an ethernet cable or a wifi signal to the UHD player loooool. I do it only for updates when I hear there is one other than that its never plugged in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1713971547155677613?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ive wanted to get into Chantal Akerman so this is going to be an insta-pickup next year.

also glad I held back on grabbing the Blood Simple blu-ray this last sale. Will be waiting for that too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Trainspotting 4K is a huge deal for me. Pumped.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm hoping Blood Simple is a prelude to more Coen Brothers. I'd love a Barton Fink 4K under their label.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Finally bought the Apu set to complete my Satyajit Ray collection last sale :cry:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Ibexaz posted:

Anyone else wanna share their faves? My biggest Wows have been with The Good The Bad and the Ugly, and Fury Road

Ronin is fantastic but I recently watched the KL release of in the heat of the night and God drat it looks great.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Lone Star! I'll be purchasing that one straight away.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Trainspotting 4K is a huge deal for me. Pumped.

I've been waiting for it so long I probably won't even wait for a half off sale to snag it.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Very jazzed about that Akerman set, I'd been wondering if something like this was coming along because the Eclipse set that I lent to a friend years back and wanted a new copy of has been unavailable for a while.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I got all excited only to be disappointed when I found out you guys aren't talking about Malin Akerman

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

I got all excited only to be disappointed when I found out you guys aren't talking about Malin Akerman

I need a Criterion release of Childrens Hospital

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

I need a Criterion release of Childrens Hospital

I’d be happy with a dang Blu-ray. For Newsreaders and NTSF:SD:SUV too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God help me, I bought a bunch of movies for Shout Factory’s SHOCKTOBER sale:

Halloween 1978 collector’s edition
They Live steelbook
Evil Dead (remake) collector’s edition
Candyman collector’s edition
Army of Darkness steelbook

All 4K.

And here this spooky movie month I was making a point to watch discs I own but hadn’t watched yet (to justify having bought them), and here I go buying more for the backlog. :shepspends:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Those are very very safe purchases though, it's not like you'll ever regret having them in the collection.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah, those are all essential titles to own in my opinion. Even the Evil Dead remake (which I feel is actually Evil Dead 4), it's a really underrated movie. Nice and mean-spirited. My advice when it comes to movies is, just buy. You can never have enough movies.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

They Live steelbook

All 4K.

And here this spooky movie month I was making a point to watch discs I own but hadn’t watched yet (to justify having bought them), and here I go buying more for the backlog. :shepspends:

Hell yeah. That Halloween 4K is absolutely beautiful, I skipped watching it last season but I think I’ll pull it out some time this week.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

They Live steelbook
should kinda be embarrassed to admit you didn’t own those already

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Liar Lyre posted:

lol ok following your post I dug into this more and apparently THIS is the thing that is happening that nerds are furious over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxTMjylbMvM

:lmao:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
If that popped up on my movie that I bought i would be enraged

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

tonedef131 posted:

should kinda be embarrassed to admit you didn’t own those already

Well, I mean, I did, I just upgraded to 4K.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006

Ibexaz posted:

Anyone else wanna share their faves? My biggest Wows have been with The Good The Bad and the Ugly, and Fury Road

The shining, paths of glory, and Lawrence of Arabia are my favorites so far. Pacific Rim is spotty but parts are amazing to watch on the 4k as well.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Friend of mine got an email from criterion saying their site was having a half off flash sale starting at noon ET today, which should be about 2 and a half hours from this post.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

Paths of Glory!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

Friend of mine got an email from criterion saying their site was having a half off flash sale starting at noon ET today, which should be about 2 and a half hours from this post.

hmm. i get emails from them, but did not get this. would be fun!

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh great, I'm wanting a 4k of Solaris so I think I'll go for the blu-ray!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Criterion Collection posted:

The Criterion Flash Sale has begun! For the next 24 hours all discs are 50% OFF at http://criterion.com/sale!
Start shopping now—the sale ends at noon ET tomorrow, October 18th!

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1714312498336211450

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 17, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Should I have splashed out to finally pick up Blue Velvet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Polyester, while also buying Malcom X as an early Christmas present for my partner? Maybe not. But do I feel good for doing it?

:hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

swear criterion does this poo poo to hurt me. can't you wait until I get paid!?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That Malcom X UHD is excellent, you'll be happy with that one.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Well I guess if I buy stuff today that's less money I'll have to spend during the Barnes and Noble sale next month?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

esperantinc posted:

Well I guess if I buy stuff today that's less money I'll have to spend during the Barnes and Noble sale next month?

It's true - this really is the most responsible thing you can do. Make sure to buy enough for the free shipping, so that you can spend save even more money

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shout did a really poo poo job announcing Shocktober. I kept checking the site and not seeing anything. Never got an email either. So I missed out this time.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm pretty sure i got quite a few emails from them? i definitely bought all of the carpenters they didn't and some other things.

also, will we ever get a uhd of 'wild at heart'? probably my favorite lynch and i really, really want it!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's weird how tough it is to watch Wild At Heart. A Blu-Ray exists at least but it's not streaming anywhere. Would love for it to join the other Lynch releases they have in the Collection but I'm guessing there's some kind of rights issue going on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think I watched it during it's last time being available for streaming. I think back in like 2015 or 16.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks for the heads up on that Criterion Flash sale. Picked up a few Scorsese flicks in 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Picked up The Trial, but I have to ask...does anyone know why so many Criterion 4Ks are lacking HDR or Dolby Vision? Pretty much most mainstream discs have one or both, but a lot of high-profile Criterions lack it.