Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the president and his top general both turn their keys, unlocking a list of forgotten slurs from the 1800's

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I feel like we're not going to learn a lot of this but Israel's loving insane reaction suggests that things went much, much worse than we've heard, even as they slow drip the truth. The damage has got to be at least on par with Tet or 1973. For example, I don't know why nobody in the media has observed that Israel's hesitancy to move into Gaza might be the result of the headquarters of the Gaza Division being overrun lol. Even in 1973, the IDF cut the (reservist) garrisons of the Bar Lev Line loose and saved their headquarters. Losing, by all accounts, multiple headquarters suggests things went even worse this go around.

1973 might be an example to point to for how Israel handles this sort of thing.

Israel has never published a full order of battle or comprehensive casualty list (or even uncensored sequence of events) for 1973, but it seems like the only people who didn't get the memo and tried to save the reservists calling for help on the radio were the 252nd Armoured Division under MajGen Albert Mandler, who was killed along with his staff during his division's death ride, from which iirc only 4 tanks returned to Israeli lines. To give you an idea of how murky the Israeli official history is, and remember that Israel claims to have ultimately prevailed in 1973, it's still unclear if units on the Bar Lev Line were given "No surrender, no retreat" orders, which were tantamount to a death sentence.

So, was there a chance for these IDF reservists around Gaza to have some sort of notice, to be placed on alert, or to retreat? That's a very good question, and one I'm sure families in Israel would be very curious to know. Were they also given "No surrender, no retreat" orders?

Reported casualties were lower in 1973, and Israel's incentive to lie seems much greater now. The practical consequence is that we can really only judge by Israel's reaction, and the news slowly leaking out, how badly things went, and all signs point to "extremely loving badly".

For example, the reported "non-military intelligence soldiers" or whatever, who were killed or captured almost to the man, were apparently the Southern Command Intelligence Unit. Losing Corps level intelligence on the first day of a war, even if you call them innocent victims or non-military or whatever, points to the units who are supposed to be the first into Gaza being at best in a state of confusion into this week, and at worst fought out and needing to be replaced by units from other Regional Commands.

I know Israeli leaders made sure not to keep records on the Nakba in 1948, but I didn't realize that kept on for later military operations

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

May the Chutzpah be with you!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Did that few hours of ceasefire hold up?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pooky posted:

No.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pooky posted:

There was no ceasefire

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the president and his top general both turn their keys, unlocking a list of slurs from the forgotten slurs from the 1800's

lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pooky posted:

https://x.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1714002111967502571?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

External Organs posted:

I legitimately don't know what the R word in this context is.

turn off your monitor

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the president and his top general both turn their keys, unlocking a list of forgotten slurs from the 1800's

the sheer power

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Was that from one of those anime-level uncomfortable episodes where they flirted with having Bart date a teenager?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

spacemang_spliff posted:

turn off your monitor

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

turn off your monitor

:drat:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Korean Boomhauer posted:

four star general but the stars are covering up a slur

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell yeah

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1713996492669612475

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

CHUD KILLER 5000 posted:

Love it when Israel leans hard into the "Yikes! Sir, this is a Wendy's. Do 👏 Better 👏" style of posting on social media

it’s so loving dark that israel official twitter is doing epic clapbacks to literally a un refugee organization

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

spacemang_spliff posted:

turn off your monitor

They ARE resplendent

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

spacemang_spliff posted:

turn off your monitor

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I didn't notice that the Special Forces unit assigned to the Regional Command was made up of reservists. I looked it up, and this seems to really summarize the contractions of Tough Guy image, Mickey Mouse reality, and weird ethnic/religious ideology in the IDF:

"The youngest battalion of the three, the Rotem Battalion, began as a religious company. It’s considered an ultra-orthodox male combat unit and is completely separated from women."

"In November 2022, the Givati Brigade was involved in "a series of incidents" of alleged abuses towards civilians in Jerusalem and the West Bank. Within the space of a few weeks, Givati Brigade soldiers were accused of spitting at an Armenian Christian archbishop leading a pilgrimage (two soldiers were detained by police), beating Israeli human rights activists in Hebron (two soldiers were suspended), and assaulting a Palestinian man (three soldiers were suspended). While IDF Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi contended that "Incidents such as these tarnish the unit in which the soldier serves, the IDF and the State of Israel," Israeli MK and national security minister-designate Itamar Ben-Gvir urged the IDF to "think twice" about whether to punish the soldiers, questioning whether they had been "provoked" and contending that disciplining them "weakens the hands of the soldiers and does not strengthen them in the fight against terrorism."
lol Ukraine really is Big Israel, who would've thunk.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

he should join the IDF and go to the front lines

puto

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Also what the gently caress is the R word? Has to be Restraint, right?!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/WSJ/status/1714004551726993435?s=20

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

lol classic israel. what a little scamp.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Israel considering deployment of the 6 hour probation word

*general from Dr Strangelove* mister president, now is the time. Now is the time to use the R slur

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
mein fuhrer i can R

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Israel, our only ally in the middle east!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

nobody tell them it was actually the ukrainian war

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

good

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/slayzillaa/stat...ingawful.com%2F

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bondematt posted:

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Also what the gently caress is the R word? Has to be Restraint, right?!

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Good Citizen posted:

Israel considering deployment of the 6 hour probation word

madmatt112 posted:

is it Restraint?? what is it???

Editors at The Onion:
- Playing MGS Phantom Pain
- Dead stares

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love him dearly

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

The bird taking down the flag + the floods in Tel Aviv delaying the ground invasion is a vibe

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mr president! we cannot afford an r word gap!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
calling for peace and being against collective punishment is more appealing than bloodlust and genocide?

mamma Mia!! :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Bouillon Rube posted:

*general from Dr Strangelove* mister president, now is the time. Now is the time to use the R slur

whispering below an earshot reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccesssssssssssssssssssssion