Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stolen from the Xbox thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YMg4ehhCgU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man, as flawed as LotF is as an action game, it often makes for a really good horror game. Especially around 20 hours in. Some of these later areas have great creepy vibes, revelations in the environmental storytelling are unsettling in the best ways, and the lantern mechanic leads to some great scares. Opening the light up to figure to solve a puzzle and seeing a grinning ghoul in your face, thinking "oh gently caress no" and closing it right before they pull you into the realm of the dead is pretty great.

And it has the best mimics. gently caress they're awful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lmao

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Never know if those kind of vids are clever audio edits or just AI voices these days.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

blast from the past that channel

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qCImXterc

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

exquisite tea posted:

My Shadowheart got arrested after long jumping off a building and accidentally goomba stomping a Lower City peasant. Oh well!

I love this for her.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

dude the cadence is so uncanny this is so hosed up lmao

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

...! posted:

Interesting timing. For the past week or so I've started Signalis several times and then closed it before playing it. Then I played something else.

Each time, I stared at the title screen for five minutes while contemplating the fact that although the game looks really good, reviews state that it's really hard. I then immediately remember that I'm now an old man with the reflexes to match and so I now get frustrated with hard games whereas I never used to when I was younger. I then decide to save myself the aggravation.

So: is the game as hard as reviews suggest? Will I want to throw my controller against the wall and scream obscenities at my TV screen?

Well you can play Signalis on an easier difficulty.

But yes, signalis does not require strong reflexes. It's more knowing what you're gonna do (like I'll run past this enemy or ill bait their attack, double back then run past)

Areas aren't that big so you should rarely be more than 5 rooms/ten minutes away from a save point. Always be saving.

You'll be backtracking a lot to dump off key items into your storage and retrieve them once you figure out where it goes. Good thing is examining stuff let's you know what key item they need and puts it on the map.

So above all, planning pays off well in Signalis.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (which apparently just called Arc: Twilight of the Spirits over here in Europe [which I will now just be referring to as Arc: TotS henceforth]) ....it freakin owns lol. I'm totally here for what it's doing and it's got all that sweet sweet jank of a mid-budget PS2 game and it's glorious.

Weird thing is is that I actually own an original copy of this game yet I have absolutely no recollection of it. I must have put that disc into my PS2 at some point but this is all 100% new to me. Though this doesn't seem like the kinda game that I would have jivved with much back in the day. Only when the nostalgia for PS2 becomes like a ripened fruit, ready to be plucked from the tree (the video game tree), can one truly savour the deliciousness of a game like Arc: TotS 🤤😋🫢😌

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The performance is so bad in BG3 in Act 3 lmao

Why do they need to render every npc even if you can’t see them on this system

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Arc the Bloke

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

If I wanted a back button controller, should I get an Edge or Scuff?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How many buttons do you want? There's always the 8bitdo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Still feels weird that it’s only a couple of days til Spider Man. It’s already preloaded but my hype levels are at pretty much zero.

GotY thread this year is gonna be brutal.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

omg chael crash posted:

Edge but mainly because the replaceable joysticks are a big pro for it.

Scuff I think does four back paddles but IMHO you really need 2 for anything that's not super competitive gaming.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I like when you load into an area in Act 3 and every single NPC starts shouting their voice line all at once.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Edge but mainly because the replaceable joysticks are a big pro for it.

Scuff I think does four back paddles but IMHO you really need 2 for anything that's not super competitive gaming.

Also the native support. Edge lets you have multiple profiles built into the PSX UI and lets you remap buttons on a per game basis, which I think is the only way to do that on PlayStation.

My only gripe with the edge is that the battery life is dogshit. Otherwise 10/10, even if it's very over priced. Also the case is very very nice, but pointless. They could have not included that and taken like $30 off the price imo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My dreams of going full Leon Kennedy before Spider-Man comes out have been dashed, at best I'll be able to swing finishing RE2make again. Sorry Spanish villagers, I'll have to suplex you again some time in December I guess!

I've also been playing Inscryption and its insanely good, perfect Halloween game though I'm really bad at it

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Mgs1 8.45gb
Mgs2 16.06gb
Mgs3 14.77gb
Bonus stuff 654.42mb

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
How on earth is MGS1 8GB

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Frankston posted:

I like when you load into an area in Act 3 and every single NPC starts shouting their voice line all at once.

The reviews of how it will run on the Series S are going to be incredible

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wolfsheim posted:

How on earth is MGS1 8GB

Probably a combo of the game, its launcher, and the extra poo poo included with it.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Wolfsheim posted:

How on earth is MGS1 8GB

Different regions, vr missions (different regions too) plus intergral and dual audio for all of it plus masterbook and script book is in there too rather than in the bonus stuff.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

omg chael crash posted:

i have the edge and it feels mostly like a novelty, but when its usefulness comes into play it feels totally worth it.

i mainly use the back paddle to sprint in souls games while being able to move the camera. but recently while playing firewatch, which has the map/compass buttons on the d-pad, its nice to not need to move my finger from the left stick while moving. little opportunities like these are really nice when they present themselves, even if i don't always need them.

aside from that, the reduced travel for the shoulder buttons is also really nice. i don't really care about the immersion of, for instance, pulling a gun trigger and having realistic resistance in the shoulder button. i just want to press the button.

i haven't tried it yet with returnal tho so that would be a good test since you need to press R2 all the way for alt fire.

overall it's not really a necessity (for me) but it's great when useful and i dont regret the purchase at all. if you want a back button i say go with the official product.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

We watched Across the Spider-Verse last night and was starting to get hype about Spider-Man 2 but then I watched this trailer and the Tom Holland look-a-like Peter killed it for me

Yeah the problem with "We have Tom Holland a home" face is that he looks the least believably human, because of what they wanted to do but they couldn't so the face is between two real faces and doesn't look convincing.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My decision to wait for a sale (and to finish more of my backlog!) paying off. Maybe by the time I get to BG3 there will be a performance patch.

Speaking of BG3, how's the menus for spells, abilities and the like? I watched a LP of it, but the guy was on PC and there was... a lot to track.
Last time I played anything comparable I had mouse and keyboard for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Speaking of back buttons, do other people also have problems with accidentally pressing them?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

CaptainCrunch posted:

My decision to wait for a sale (and to finish more of my backlog!) paying off. Maybe by the time I get to BG3 there will be a performance patch.

Speaking of BG3, how's the menus for spells, abilities and the like? I watched a LP of it, but the guy was on PC and there was... a lot to track.
Last time I played anything comparable I had mouse and keyboard for it.

It can be offputting at first but it's a bunch of radial menus you sift through. Spells and attacks on the left, items on the right.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Hopper posted:

Yeah the problem with "We have Tom Holland a home" face is that he looks the least believably human, because of what they wanted to do but they couldn't so the face is between two real faces and doesn't look convincing.

I've hated the Holland-redux face from day one. It's not a bad face out of context, but I can't buy him as a Spider-Man that's been at this a while, has a semi-functioning adult life as a serious boyfriend (at least twice!) and postgrad, and is now a mentor figure. He looks younger than Miles. The original face was also unbelievably fresh but I could at least buy that he was old enough to vote.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Weird West is pretty good so far! I'm not looking forward to changing characters though. I'm getting attached to the starting bounty hunter lady.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

FireWorksWell posted:

It can be offputting at first but it's a bunch of radial menus you sift through. Spells and attacks on the left, items on the right.

Oh that doesn't sound all that bad, design-wise. Thanks.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Weird West is pretty good so far! I'm not looking forward to changing characters though. I'm getting attached to the starting bounty hunter lady.

Yeah, I had a pretty good time with it, as well. There are certainly some rough edges and weird control decisions (experienced a couple crashes during my playthrough, scrolling the map with the right stick never felt right, making "attack" and "pick up that dead body by your feet" use the same button caused me a bit of grief on a couple occasions) but certainly nothing bad enough to turn me away. I'd absolutely be interested in a sequel if they happen to make another.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

mysterious frankie posted:

Just FYI when you switch to a new character, you can recruit the previous one and they will have all the inventory still on them - it doesnt transfer, except if you store stuff on a horse or in a bank deposit box.

This is true for everyone except the last character, who cant recruit the previous ones which was frustrating losing my good weapons.

I liked Weird West but I hope it gets a sequel to really flesh stuff out.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Hopper posted:

This is really weird to read for me because I know someone that looks like the new face almost exactly (their hair is different now). Granted I've kinda always found their face off-putting, kinda like how some people have punchable faces but not that specifically.

SkeletonHero posted:

I've hated the Holland-redux face from day one. It's not a bad face out of context, but I can't buy him as a Spider-Man that's been at this a while, has a semi-functioning adult life as a serious boyfriend (at least twice!) and postgrad, and is now a mentor figure. He looks younger than Miles. The original face was also unbelievably fresh but I could at least buy that he was old enough to vote.

His old face looked too old though, he looked like he was in his mid 30s and not 23-24 like he's supposed to be I think (he's 8 years in and started at 15, right?). Might've seemed this way because his old face really looked like a de-aged Uncle Ben from the first movie.

The new face was stated to be a change to make it look more like Yuri Lowenthal but at first glance that doesn't track. The theory that it's an average of the movie Spider-Men's faces seems closer. If you watch him and video of the actor then the initial claim becomes a bit more believable at least.

They still shouldn't have changed it. That was a weird thing to do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe in the third game they have a multiverse adventure where he meets two other Spider-Mans and they have the old faces

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Brightman posted:

This is really weird to read for me because I know someone that looks like the new face almost exactly (their hair is different now). Granted I've kinda always found their face off-putting, kinda like how some people have punchable faces but not that specifically.

Well I guess for you it is different because you actually know someone who looks like that. For me, my brain is just automatically comparing Tom Holland to that face because I know what they tried, and going "nah you didn't nail it" , which ends up being off putting and looking like inbetween faces.

A good example of how experience colours our perception.

However, it still is a worse face than before the change. Your friend should go as Playstation Spiderman on Halloween though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JnbYKrYpA

Man, seeing the comparisons between Spider-Man 2 and even the PS5 remaster of Spider-Man is really striking. There's a much bigger visual upgrade than I'd previously thought.

There's a spoiler warning at the start of the video itself, but I'll just reiterate that it shows stuff that people wanting to be unspoiled won't want to see.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

My god, that's incredible.