Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
if you wanna talk inefficent let me tell you about sending data from Arpitecht into CV thing so that it can go from there to a Hydrasynth :laugh:

this is more like firewall configuration than music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

free name for yet another midi to cv converter: port forwarder

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

watho posted:

i don't know what it does and i don't have a case but i'm gonna buy the demon core just for the name

Better have a paycheck or two lined up for that one.

I have a Chainsaw and it's great for pads/triads, but yeah, you can't do real polyphony with it.

For those who want some weird unique distortion: The Neutral Labs Nijel has a micro-breadboard on its front where you can either plug in electronics components like capacitors and resistors, or a series of plugin cards that you can get with the module. You can get incredibly gnarly and unique distortion character out of it, and if you're a DIY person, the kit *plus the cards* is just $60 US. I'm having a blast with this thing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Reminds me that I've been meaning to try to figure out how to use Hermod to take cv out from my rack into my Hydrasynth. Man, that is not a user friendly module, I tell u wut

Speaking of, what in rack sequencers are good? I feel like I've tried a few and none of them do what I want them to do. Varigate 4+ is cool and fun to play on the fly but its really limited and the slider positions being multipurpose and not representing the actual state got confusing. Metropolix is pretty rad but it's only two lanes which isn't much considering its size and all of the cool features are hidden in clunky menus. Also it feels like it's really only good for techno? Hermod's a mess and is super cumbersome to program. It can do a lot for building tracks, I guess, but getting there is a PITA.

I usually just end up using Marbles or random s&h from Pam's or plugging in a sequence from my keystep or whatever, just because it's easy, but I'd like to do something more deliberate at times. I keep going back and forth on selling the Metropolix and the Hermod but then I'm like, but what if I spend more time with them? Really learn the ins and outs? And then I patch up Pam's again

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I've really grown to love Rene 2. I don't even use it to half of what it can do, but it fits with the way I like to create & play modular music. It has a permanent spot in my 208hp rack.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Speaking of, what in rack sequencers are good?

I just racked a Behr 1027 as I slowly assemble a 2500 system from Amazon rebate cash; as a starting point -- that's extremely basic, to the point of not being very useful in a modern context.

So -- do you want generative-oriented, or not? Why are you trying to move sequencing in rack?

Erica Black sequencer is the closest thing I know of to a BSP in rack, and I have thought of getting one for that reason. At the same time, if you have the space for a BSP/KSP, I am hard pressed to imagine that making sequences that way is any easier. Metropolix and Vector Five12 are both somewhat in this same space, I don't have any experience with either.

Bloom is a lot of fun, and it's got a lot of the functionality of 2 lanes of a Beatstep, along with a bunch of quasi-melodic generative potential. This one is fine as a 2-pattern 1-to-32-step sequencer but for me it really shines in slow, gradually changing ambient patches and stuff where I just want to leave the rack on for hours and have it gradually drift over different territories. I'm sure you can do similar things in fast/dancey tracks, I haven't tried.

Rene2 is somewhere between the two; it's less generative than Bloom. Strictly speaking it is not generative at all, but the "snake path" the cursor follows through each 16-step sequence can be changed manually or by CV, and also it can self-modulate this and you can also use other modules to alter CV values, so it does a lot of generative things but the vibe I get from it is that it's as much a performance tool as a sequencer. It shines at stuff like running a pattern and letting you change the quantization as it is playing by turning notes on and off, resulting in variances etc.

Arpitecht is a sequencer, really, but good luck finding one in 2023 :allears:

I have a BSP and SQ64 I wouldn't mind losing. Drowning in sequencers.

edit: nerdseq exists too ofc

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Better have a paycheck or two lined up for that one.

I have a Chainsaw and it's great for pads/triads, but yeah, you can't do real polyphony with it.

For those who want some weird unique distortion: The Neutral Labs Nijel has a micro-breadboard on its front where you can either plug in electronics components like capacitors and resistors, or a series of plugin cards that you can get with the module. You can get incredibly gnarly and unique distortion character out of it, and if you're a DIY person, the kit *plus the cards* is just $60 US. I'm having a blast with this thing.

ooh that's exciting. I happen to have ordered one a couple days ago. Couldn't find Canadian sources for the cards, but they put schematics up on the website, and they should be exceedingly easy to breadboard! I have a kit of different components and a small breadboard on the way too.
Oooh, this should be fun, building little circuits to mess with the distortion.

sequencers: Turing machine, quantizer, grids, 2hp euclid, and a clock divider. I have a 0-ctrl for intentional step sequences, but it sees less use.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 16, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Looks like Chompis are starting to go out if them posting an instructional video means anything

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Sequencers:
- Nerdseq when I want control and precision over a million CVs and midi
- DROID or u_oc hemispheres firmware algorhythm branch for generative sequences. DROID’s algoquencer is the most musical turing machine -like I’ve tried
- 0ctrl + steppy + quantizer for hands-on fun

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

In rack I've used both Rene v1 and Metropolix and kept the Metropolix. It's only 2 lanes but you can use mutes creatively to have distinct sequences and it can be a little menu divey but the important things are accessible very quickly. It feels Elektron like in that regard.

Rene was ok but I never clicked with it as much, probably because I have too much time using step sequencers that stepping out of that was a struggle.

Another vote for the 0-ctrl as well. It's fantastic and often think about just using that all the time instead of the metropolix because I love how hands on it is.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I just racked a Behr 1027 as I slowly assemble a 2500 system from Amazon rebate cash; as a starting point -- that's extremely basic, to the point of not being very useful in a modern context.

So -- do you want generative-oriented, or not? Why are you trying to move sequencing in rack?

It's a good question, and I keep looking at Keystep Pros and Oxi Ones and thinking maybe I just need outboard sequencing.

Generative I can handle with Pam's and Marbles, plus general modular tricks with clocked lfos, s&h, etc. Ideally, I'd like a multilane sequencer that can handle pitch, gate, and modulation that is relatively intuitive to program and would allow for modulating the sequence, but in a controllable fashion. Basically, I think it would be cool to have a base sequence that can be altered on the fly with cv, triggers, probability, etc so that it can evolve without going fully into random town. I'd like it to be multilane so I can choose to program complementary pitches to create chord/arpeggio-like sounds for different oscillators, leads that follow pads, that sort of thing. I guess I'm trying to get away from using random generation for everything and be a bit more intentional with what I'm doing.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

edit: nerdseq exists too ofc

It definitely does and it terrifies me. Trackers are weird and confuse my simple caveman brain.

Bloom might be worth another look as a semi generative but it's not quite what I have in my head for this particular need/want. Clank Chaos fits in there too but that's another lol good luck getting one. I've been eyeballing the Winter Modular Eloquencer the most lately, since it seems like a straight ahead outboard sequencer stuffed into eurorack module. On paper it looks good but so did the Hermod. Eh. I think I actually should just gently caress around more with the Metropolix and see if i can get it to do what i want. Ill probably keep the Hermod as a midi interface if nothing else.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://division-6.com/products/dual-mini-sequencer/

these are cool but also SQ1s are $80 new and 0hp

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Reminds me that I've been meaning to try to figure out how to use Hermod to take cv out from my rack into my Hydrasynth. Man, that is not a user friendly module, I tell u wut

Speaking of, what in rack sequencers are good? I feel like I've tried a few and none of them do what I want them to do. Varigate 4+ is cool and fun to play on the fly but its really limited and the slider positions being multipurpose and not representing the actual state got confusing. Metropolix is pretty rad but it's only two lanes which isn't much considering its size and all of the cool features are hidden in clunky menus. Also it feels like it's really only good for techno? Hermod's a mess and is super cumbersome to program. It can do a lot for building tracks, I guess, but getting there is a PITA.

I usually just end up using Marbles or random s&h from Pam's or plugging in a sequence from my keystep or whatever, just because it's easy, but I'd like to do something more deliberate at times. I keep going back and forth on selling the Metropolix and the Hermod but then I'm like, but what if I spend more time with them? Really learn the ins and outs? And then I patch up Pam's again

For my more deliberate sequencing, I got an Eloquencer and I couldn't be happier with it. I found it really intuitive to use, it has 8 lanes of gate/CV outputs, it's really easy to sequence patterns into phrases into songs, it has things like probability and ratcheting, it's great. I did my first ever live performance with it and experienced zero issues with it. I know some people have experienced bugs and I don't think Winter Modular has put out a firmware update in some time, but it does exactly what I need and want it to do. Hell, it was more reliable during that performance than my KSP. Some people might find CV sequencing with it cumbersome but once I got the hang of it I could sequence pretty quickly.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

RocketMermaid posted:

Can use the cards on the Elmyra 2 as well.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

For my more deliberate sequencing, I got an Eloquencer and I couldn't be happier with it. I found it really intuitive to use, it has 8 lanes of gate/CV outputs, it's really easy to sequence patterns into phrases into songs, it has things like probability and ratcheting, it's great. I did my first ever live performance with it and experienced zero issues with it. I know some people have experienced bugs and I don't think Winter Modular has put out a firmware update in some time, but it does exactly what I need and want it to do. Hell, it was more reliable during that performance than my KSP. Some people might find CV sequencing with it cumbersome but once I got the hang of it I could sequence pretty quickly.
Hell, unless you're Scott Manley, I'd expect anyone to crash a lot with Kerbal Space Program.
"Check your (gain) staging!"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I've been looking at various 4xVCO options to run chords into, trying to convince myself that at $1200 I don't want/need E370 because that's actually the same cost, about, as 4xXPO which would just be cooler

anyway, poking around and doing my usual thing of searching reverb for "eurorack", order by "newest first" and then scanning visually for "good deal" icons, I picked up one of these for $400 from control-voltage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRSw2hV6Lck

The firmware hasn't been updated since 2016 and will never see another update; also I only have 48 hours from when I receive this from Control-Voltage to satisfy myself that everything is functional :laugh:

All that said, looks like a cool, weird thing with some really cool features, some known problems, and a modwiggler thread that has seen about 4 posts in the last 4 years, the most recent being my HAI I BOUGHT ONE. There is currently one of these on Reverb for $500 and none anywhere else; it's in 600 racks on modwiggler.

Flame appears to very much still exist, this is a dead-end model.

Oh yea, I got one of these, also, come on it's $50. What did you say? I said $50. WHAT DID YOU SAY? ATARI. EURORACK. RIOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KHZCHNtBk

It seems like a great VCO for not even pretending to be musical with. I am sure many talented musicians have proved me wrong.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the atari punk console is a very popular diy circuit from what i understand. see a lot of people selling them for cheap on various marketplaces when looking for strange noisemakers

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

APC tricK: you can get it to track by using a real deal vco output as one of the APC's control voltages ( can't remember which one) It'll sync up in a fashion.
regarding DIY: From what I can gather of the schematics I've seen, it's a simple circuit, that uses ubiquitous and very affordable components. Easy beginner learn 2 solder project, apparently.
Here's a detailed how to:
https://www.instructables.com/Point-to-Point-Atari-Punk-Console-One-and-a-Half/

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 17, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Another APC trick: Put it into the trigger input of a S&H and put an audio source into the other input, and you have an awesome, controllable bitcrusher.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The Vector Wave with expander from Ryk Modular allows for 4 v/oct inputs but I have yet to bite the bullet because the UI looks like everything I hate. Sounds nice though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fac6aZqV0Zw

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Wrageowrapper posted:

The Vector Wave with expander from Ryk Modular allows for 4 v/oct inputs but I have yet to bite the bullet because the UI looks like everything I hate. Sounds nice though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fac6aZqV0Zw

I saw that RMR video a while ago and the module is really cool and makes sick noises but yeah, I'll never want to use it because that interface seems very confusing and bad. The RYK Night Rider though, that looks and sounds super rad. I've been eyeballing stereo filters and at some point I'm going to grab that or a QPAS or a SSF Stereo Dipole. For now, I'll just use the quad stereo filter (with reverb ofc) patch I built in ZOIA.

RocketMermaid posted:

Good to know! It looks like a dope sequencer but I've hesitated on diving in because I'm apparently very picky. That said, after I posted about sequencers above, I got home from work yesterday and built out a little mini system to focus on the Metropolix to see if I can get along with it. I put it in a 62HP palette case with a Steppy, Osiris, an EG and attenuator and made some patches to see what I could get out of it without trying to patch in every module I own like a jackass. After a couple of hours of goofing around, I was making some patches that sounded pretty cool and did kind of what I was looking for. The menus are still a bit obtuse in my opinion but I was at least able to figure out how to get CV in and out, set the internal clock and divisions, and run two tracks (sort of, that part still annoys me a bit). I wish there was an option to send a pulse on RUN through the A or B outputs so I can send a reset to Steppy on start, but I made do with a pulse on RESET. I also realized that Metropolix has a LOOPY function like Steppy does, which I'll have to gently caress around with. The ACCUMULATE function is very cool and I can see why they highlight it in marketing.

Anyway, I think I'll give it a couple of weeks. The more I'm using it as a main focus, the less annoyed I am by some of the menu diving and button layouts. My main gripe is still that its only two lanes. If I'm still not vibing with it after a few weeks, I'll probably pick up an Eloquencer.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Joey reviews the Neutron. This guy cracks me up. "loving gnarly already." Making really harsh, aggressive sounds "That's fuckin juicy!" Lol
https://youtu.be/11wp1ObuGxc?si=i3_pdiNKSq68tqNo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
From the "wow, such an amazing instrument!" -> (makes the worst sounds you ever heard) genre.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have an Alpine 12" subwoofer that I bought in maybe 2003 that has been in my closet this entire time instead of putting it in my truck. So I am thinking of ways to make a home audio setup with the Alpine blasting along to drum machines. This sounds like so much fun.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I uesd a pc power supply to power a large car class D subwoofer, and that drove a dual voice coil 12" sub

tbh I am amazed a pc power supply powered the amp. i just soldered all the 12v rails together lmao

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Joey reviews the Neutron. This guy cracks me up. "loving gnarly already." Making really harsh, aggressive sounds "That's fuckin juicy!" Lol
https://youtu.be/11wp1ObuGxc?si=i3_pdiNKSq68tqNo

I love his review of the Alesia Ion (which I own), he just loves making synths make the harshest wettest robot farts.

https://youtu.be/RmecUZyu-j0?si=VVdDAudXgY9n1yEr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Cabbages would probably like his Oxi Coral review where he's like "this thing does 8 voice polyphony through midi but gently caress that *bbrrrzzrraaappppwubwubwub*"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Joey sports my least favorite photograph in the entire music industry on every video. If you want to interest me in a product or idea, maybe stop looking at me with such contempt?

I blocked his channel and FB I hate it so much.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone used a keystep pro?

are they also ok as just a midi keyboard? the sequencing and etc seem good but if I got one I’d be using it as my sole keyboard (limited space)

atm my hydrasynth explorer is my midi keyboard and spose it’s good coz it’s also a powerful synth but would love some sequencing etc

I have a circuit tracks and theoretically it can do the sequencing and also drums but I just struggle with the workflow of making something more than a bar or two long.

maybe it’s just a skill issue

also read some large post on reddit about the hydrasynth from an experienced player who’s had one for a while. the good the neutral and the bad. there’s a lot of good but in the bad was “sound”, as in at the very end of the day it doesn’t sound amazing. and with the filter low it’s good but don’t love the high end

I recently got a pro-800 from bheringee and it sounds .. very nice. it’s got quirks and ngl the way patches work on synths with lots of knobs sucks. especially coming from the hydrasynth that manages very well to keep almost everything on the surface but doesn’t suffer the same issue

anyway the high end of the pro-800 is glorious. it’s way less flexible but I am learning to live with that, the hydrasynth as a first hardware synth set a high bar as far as flexibility goes. but the lack of flexibility highlights my lack of actual playing ability which is good coz means now I gotta focus on that lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have its smaller sibling, the keystep 37. I rather like it, but am not a trained keyboardist. I'm just an idiot pressing buttons. But the buttons (and knobs) on that device feel good to me.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I had a Beatstep Pro for a while and it was garbage for CV unless you rolled back the firmware, but it was great to use for CV and felt solid. I don't know if Arturia has the firmware problems for the Keystep but it seems pretty well liked in the local modular community.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I have one of the cheap keysteps and a keylab 61. The keystep works great as a simple sequencer/arpeggiator. Works well with midi or CV, but you have to select one or the other with some dip switches which is a little clunky. I assume the keystep pro works just as well and they seem to be highly regarded. My only complaint about the arturia keyboards in general is that the aftertouch has almost no travel and it's more of an ON or OFF binary thing, so it doesn't really do smooth filter sweeps or gradual vibrato or whatever. Im not much of a keys player but it would be nice to have a bit more control over expression. Otherwise, I think they're great.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Keystep Pro keybed is ok. You definitely won't confuse it with something designed for Serious Keyboardists, but it will will be fine if you are trying to avoid having a fancy sequencer and a midi keyboard both taking up space at the same time. I've only really used it as a melodic sequencer though, not sure how easy it is to use the knobs for midi controls. Also it doesn't have any pad controls like most midi keyboards do.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 20, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Spiggy posted:

I had a Beatstep Pro for a while and it was garbage for CV unless you rolled back the firmware, but it was great to use for CV and felt solid. I don't know if Arturia has the firmware problems for the Keystep but it seems pretty well liked in the local modular community.
I misplaced my MIDI to TRS adapter and have had a rather poor experience so far trying to use my Keystep 37 with a West Pest over CV, so I wonder if maybe that might be related. I bought the 37 specifically for the CV so I'll definitely be annoyed if so.

I could just have some settings mixed up though, both devices have a LOT of hidden configuration and I kinda just slammed buttons on the West Pest for the first few days I had it so who knows what I might have messed up. It kinda works, just I have to set the Keystep down a few octaves to even get audible notes out and gate behavior is weird.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmmm thankyou

withak posted:

Keystep Pro keybed is ok

I heard maybe this is maybe the worst part of it

xzzy posted:

I have its smaller sibling, the keystep 37. I rather like it, but am not a trained keyboardist. I'm just an idiot pressing buttons. But the buttons (and knobs) on that device feel good to me.

yeah I wonder just from anecdotes that I’ve picked up that the normal keysteps have better keys but this doesn’t make sense

I think I must have had a smaller keystep briefly because I know it was arturia but I hated the knobs, they seemed to track so poorly into their own software, it was like they went to sleep immediately and always required turning to wake them up. maybe I just had a dud

or maybe I just try n make work what I already have :cry:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Joey sports my least favorite photograph in the entire music industry on every video. If you want to interest me in a product or idea, maybe stop looking at me with such contempt?

I blocked his channel and FB I hate it so much.

Lol, you see contempt, I see a dude baked out of his guord.
Your read is probably closer to the truth, but he just looked super stoned in the thumbnails, to me anyhow.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

echinopsis posted:

think I must have had a smaller keystep briefly because I know it was arturia but I hated the knobs, they seemed to track so poorly into their own software, it was like they went to sleep immediately and always required turning to wake them up. maybe I just had a dud
From just that description, I'm gonna say you might have owned a MiniLab MK I. Absolutely awful and not representative of later Arturia hardware, I'm told.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I’ve got a keystep pro.

Not the best keybed, but I do like all the midi and CV connectivity. Do wish it had an extra octave or two on it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

echinopsis posted:

I think I must have had a smaller keystep briefly because I know it was arturia but I hated the knobs, they seemed to track so poorly into their own software, it was like they went to sleep immediately and always required turning to wake them up. maybe I just had a dud

or maybe I just try n make work what I already have :cry:

I'm a little surprised at people having issues with the Arturia stuff. My basic keystep has been great with no connectivity issues, either with midi or CV. I've used it with my Mother-32, Hydrasynth and modular with no problems. Its great, in fact. My keylab is really nice and integrates seamlessly with Pigments and the Arturia synth collection. I can't really speak to DAW integration or anything because I'm too dumb to figure out Ableton. My only issues with that board is that it doesn't have a sequencer or arpeggiator and the previously mentioned lackluster aftertouch.

Unrelated: I stopped into Control Voltage yesterday to pick up a couple of things and they had an Expressive E Osmose on the floor. Holy poo poo that thing rules. I'm no keyboardist by any stretch of the imagination but the aftertouch and side to side pitch bend expression sounded super badass even with my lovely noodling. Instant Hans Zimmer machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

echinopsis posted:

also read some large post on reddit about the hydrasynth from an experienced player who’s had one for a while. the good the neutral and the bad. there’s a lot of good but in the bad was “sound”, as in at the very end of the day it doesn’t sound amazing. and with the filter low it’s good but don’t love the high end

The HS was the premium synth I went with because it was under $1000. Looks great, I never connected with it and went to sell it. It's a bad sign when I'm more excited about loading sysex files onto the DX7. There is a knob per parameter d-tronics dx7 controller available right now that would be way too extra but it's so unique.