Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We need another good parent story.

This one is half.

AITA for choosing my son’s friends over family?

quote:

I have a 16 year old son, Nate. He’s been in this friend group of 5 (including him) since they were about 8 yrs old.

We’re white, and so are two of the other boys, but one is Middle Eastern and another is South Asian. This is relevant.

It was thanksgiving the other day and the 2 boys that aren’t white don’t celebrate the holiday so I always invite them to ours. They usually come and it’s always great fun for the boys. Especially since Nate’s cousins are either much older or much younger.

Like the past few years, I invited them, and they both came. My mom also brought her new boyfriend. I’ve met him before and he seemed fine.

He saw the boys in the living room and immediately went “Now I know those two young men aren’t yours!” I explained to him that they’re Nate’s friends. He whispered something to my mom but she just walked away. Ok whatever. He stood by the boys the whole time but they didn’t seem to care and made conversation with him. I relaxed and left to do something.

20 mins later, Nate comes up to me saying that grandma’s boyfriend is being weird so I go see what’s happening and he’s interrogating the other boys about their “true intentions” with Nate and the rest of us. One of the boys jokingly goes “drat you caught us” which sent him spiralling.

I interrupted and dragged him to the kitchen where I told him that he needs to leave. He was being pretty racist. He was surprised and I’m sure he was expecting me to at least give him another chance but I’ve read enough stories to know that he’d say something even shittier later. Besides, I care about those boys way more than I care about him.

He called my mom over and she begged me to give him another chance, she’ll make sure he keeps mouth shut. I told her I’m sorry, but I couldn’t care less. She got extremely upset and said that I should send the boys home if they’re so uncomfortable plus it’s a family holiday. I just shrugged but she just got annoyed and said if he leaves, she leaves too. I did hesitate but ultimately decided she can leave too. Mom didn’t take that well and said her boyfriend was just saying what they all were thinking and its about time those boys stopped “infiltrating” our family time.

They left and I was still fairly confident until one aunt and her daughters said that it’s true that they (and others) don’t like that these two boys are at every thanksgiving/sometimes Christmas and it’s a little suspicious (?) but “it’s not a race thing.” They said it was pretty terrible of me to choose random teenage boys over family but I told them they were welcome to leave as well and they shut up.

Idk if that’s what I’m doing but apparently many of them feel this way… AITA for choosing these boys over family? Mom won’t talk to me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you for some reason take them at face value that they aren't racist, that would just mean they are aggressively paranoid that two children are secretly plotting to... ???? the family eventually. That kind of unfounded paranoid fear of children isn't okay either.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I can't believe someone would just invite strangers over to share a meal at Thanksgiving. Is nothing sacred anymore?! :911:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Issaries posted:

AITA for romancing Characters in Rpg games?

:lol:

What a minute...Charakter...Sais...Is this subliminal advertising for the new MK game?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for taking just my stepson to an amusement park just because?

Finally a literal rollercoaster to go along with the emotional one. Dad's not the AH. Yeah it sucks that step sister didn't get to go to the amusement park, but from what I understand, that's the other family. It's sad to say that her life is going to be filled with experiences that her brother gets to have that she won't. That doesn't mean that he has to live like he's in a wheelchair too. Where does the line get drawn? Does she get to be upset constantly that her brother can walk, and she can't? Maybe she is, but that's not his fault, and not OPs responsibility.

Nothing is stopping them (her bio-parents) from taking the 8 year old around the park. On the one hand, yeah, she's in a wheelchair, so she can't do everything, but A) That's always going to be the case and B)She gets to jump the line for the rides she can go on. Maybe that can be some small comfort.

And it sounds like the little brother would not have a good time with the crowds and noise anyway, so probably no great loss there. Maybe he doesn't quite grasp anything other than the fun rides and food that he missed out on, but there's time to maybe help him experience his own fun day or do his own fun thing.

Yes, it's unfortunate that not everyone gets to enjoy the exact same experiences in life. But as some of the recent posts have shown, kids need to be kids, and sometimes that means time away from kids that have special needs.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

True. It's not like all of the amusement park is off-limits for a wheelchair bound person.

She could sit on spinning tea-cups between the parents. Or if that's too much there's piggy-train, funny-mirrors and so on.
Also all the carnival candy she can eat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Sounds like those terrible parents have taught the wheelchair-bound child that her older brother should never be allowed to do anything she's not able to do and that doing so is a direct slight against her.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

I can't believe someone would just invite strangers over to share a meal at Thanksgiving. Is nothing sacred anymore?! :911:
It was just :canada: Thanksgiving on the 9th!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The scapegpoat kid with the sick golden child sister who wanted his laptop has been adding details in comments and god is it bleak:

quote:

I mostly just want to get away from them all. I don't want to waste the emotional energy talking to them again would take. They already hate me for what I said and refused to do (share the laptop). I already know talking won't change anything. I don't expect it to change. I just expect we continue living like this until I move out.

My sister is their only daughter. I'm their son. They are no longer struggling to keep her alive. 3 years she has been healthy. Nothing has changed. They spoil her at Christmas and buy me clothes. They skip my birthday but remember every one of hers. Just because she's sick and I'm healthy doesn't mean I couldn't die too.

I was only 8 when my sister got sick. But I have felt so alone and so uncared for ever since. They don't even make the effort to show up to PT conferences.

They will take and take and take from me, caring little for how it makes me feel. Treating me like I'm some villain for eating treats given out at school instead of taking them home for my sister. I was a kid too and I didn't get treats either. Yet I'm supposed to just give to my sister and never expect anything.

I guess I should be glad she didn't need organs. I'm sure they would have let me get chopped to pieces for them for her. And yes, I do feel that way.

It hurt that none of my extended family really cared either. When I was there it was so they could feed me and I would have an adult supervising but they weren't exactly loving and affectionate either and then I'd go home to parents who fussed over my sister while I was just... there. Or I was asked to do chores and make sure my sister was okay. Then to have stuff taken from me and to see them buy her all kinds of nice stuff. It really messed with my head. I really hoped once she got better I could maybe get some of that interest too. But no.

I don't have a close adult relative. I don't have a single member of my family that I would say I'm even slightly close to.

Yes, they skipped PT conferences and other school related things for me. They pulled me from football and I never got put back in so time could be invested in my sister and the money.

They already cleared out money they were putting aside for college and it won't be going back into the account. Once my sister got sick that was no longer a thing.
:smith: I'm really hoping it's a creative writing exercise.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

We need another good parent story.

This one is half.

AITA for choosing my son’s friends over family?

poo poo like this is insane. If I went to a family thanksgiving and found out the hosting relative was inviting some of their kids’ friends over to have fun on a holiday they otherwise wouldn’t celebrate, that would be rad! Hell yeah dudes, get in on the food and party hard! Like, racist boyfriend aside (and dumped in the garbage), I can’t imagine calling and saying, “Oh, I never liked having those strange children over.”

Makes me wonder how different age groups perceive non-blood or marriage family groups in the U.S. My husband and I love our friends dearly and are in the top tier of our family. My parents totally get it, but so many families seem to think “if not kissing or blood then ???”

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I've got an English name nobody can spell properly, and my wife has a Sri Lankan one nobody can spell properly. So, we just opt for smashing them together to make a unique one that nobody can spell

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for wanting to take my wife’s last name?

:owned:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Technocrat posted:

I've got an English name nobody can spell properly, and my wife has a Sri Lankan one nobody can spell properly. So, we just opt for smashing them together to make a unique one that nobody can spell

This is the way to go, the more names the merrier. My poor son has a scottish-spanish last name he has to deal with forever

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

broken pixel posted:

poo poo like this is insane. If I went to a family thanksgiving and found out the hosting relative was inviting some of their kids’ friends over to have fun on a holiday they otherwise wouldn’t celebrate, that would be rad! Hell yeah dudes, get in on the food and party hard! Like, racist boyfriend aside (and dumped in the garbage), I can’t imagine calling and saying, “Oh, I never liked having those strange children over.”

Makes me wonder how different age groups perceive non-blood or marriage family groups in the U.S. My husband and I love our friends dearly and are in the top tier of our family. My parents totally get it, but so many families seem to think “if not kissing or blood then ???”
There's a lot of really heartwarming comments that lots of people's parents and grandparents would be absolutely furious if their kids are grandkids didn't invite over the roommate that had nowhere else to go for the holidays, or the college friend whose family lived out of state and couldn't visit for the holidays.

Always reminds me of that meme that went around probably 6 or 7 years ago about a dude who got a text from a nice older lady who misdialed but asked him if he was coming over to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving, and even when they verified they weren't related she insisted he came still. Grandmas feed everyone!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's a lot of really heartwarming comments that lots of people's parents and grandparents would be absolutely furious if their kids are grandkids didn't invite over the roommate that had nowhere else to go for the holidays, or the college friend whose family lived out of state and couldn't visit for the holidays.

Always reminds me of that meme that went around probably 6 or 7 years ago about a dude who got a text from a nice older lady who misdialed but asked him if he was coming over to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving, and even when they verified they weren't related she insisted he came still. Grandmas feed everyone!

Assuming it's the same one because the story blew up, they've continued to have Thanksgiving together since last that I heard.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish for the dude's side because you know it would be great in the comments.

AITA for not wanting to have kids because of what he said?

quote:

My bf of 2-3 years brought up the fact he wants 2 kids. I said that would be fine and that I he would have to understand my body will change. He then replied that a lot of women let themselves go after having children and that he really hopes and wants to support keeping my body healthy and in shape- to stay on top of it. I then asked if he would still be attracted to me after my belly has loose skin and my chest begins to sag. He said he would still love me and be a part of the family, but that he can't say he would still be sexuallyattracted too me. I said if that's the case, then I don't want to have children with him. He said that I'm being mean and rude for saying that. We are at a stand off and I'm not sure what to do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have my kids and keep it tight. I don't wanna hear any guff about it either!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“Ok, but as soon as you can’t get it up any more I’m loving every pool boy in the neighborhood”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Khanstant posted:

Have my kids and keep it tight. I don't wanna hear any guff about it either!

that’s why they can sew ‘er up real tight after don’t worry

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Cowslips Warren posted:

I love hearing that this is becoming more prevalent; my biological extended family claimed to be welcoming but no one ever brought a friend to Great-Grandma's Christmases and even SO's were under scrutiny. My GF's extended family, however, for all their faults, just accepted my presence at Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's for the past couple years now. It's basically just "oh we've adopted a new one this year? have some spanakopita!" It might be a Greek thing, they really seem to love an excuse to feed people. It's even welcoming enough that I'm willing to accept that my FMIL insists that I introduce myself as "partner's best friend" even though I'm pretty sure everyone at these gatherings knows. After my mom moved like 6 hours away and I've had to spend my holidays alone/working some years, it's super nice to have a family much closer by to spend them with now.

To be fair, any obliviousness might be because FBIL would just bring his entire pack of friends over some years, so having just one name to relearn while drinking eggnog might be seen as a welcome change. :xd:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not wanting to have kids because of what he said?

Give the guy a crash course on everything that pregnancy/birth does to the body. Including how it doesn't even stop at the birth. Even if your body "returns" somewhat, it can take months. Some changes are permanent. Sometimes it even causes your shoe size to change permanently!! If he doesn't immediately realize that he's a dumbass and apologize, dump him.

Pregnancy is horrifying.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Baron Zephyrus posted:

OP is great. If for no other reason than he escaped society's toxic masculinity and gives no fucks about whether he and his partner meet gender norms.

Stories like this always remind me of John Afoa, professional rugby union player. When he was playing in New Zealand, his trainings were usually 3 times a week, including a gym session to build strength. Once that was done, he’d usually have the house to himself all afternoon, so he would do the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc., so that when his partner came home from work, there’d be dinner ready for her, and a nice clean house with clean sheets and everything.

I’d really love to hear what these turds would have to say about gender norms and a literal professional, World Cup winning rugby player.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my coworker what would happen if I drank her breastmilk?
this one got an update:

UPDATE: AITA for asking my coworker what would happen if I drank her breastmilk?

quote:

So first I guess I need to explain a couple of things that people missed in my first post, mainly that I am 20/F even though most people were for some reason assuming that I was a guy. And also like I said in the post, I understood in the first place that I worded my initial question to Kate badly.

The thing that I didn’t understand was how it seemed like I was making fun of Kate. I do understand now after people explained and after what Kate said when I did talk to her about it that it was because it just didn’t seem like a question that anyone would ask seriously.

So on Friday afternoon I went to Kate and told her, “Hey, I wanted to say sorry about yesterday. I get now that I asked a really inappropriate question and I’m sorry for making you uncomfortable. And I understand that you felt like I was making fun of you, but that wasn’t my intention and I’m sorry it came out sounding that way.”

Kate said, “Okay, hold on. You were really just trying to ask about the germs in milk or whatever it was?”

I said, “Yeah. I know it sounded bad but I swear that’s all I meant.”

Kate said, “Well, if it was a genuine question then I’m sorry also. I shouldn’t have assumed ill intent.”

I said, “It’s okay. Like I said, I am sorry.”

Kate said, “Don’t worry about it.”

And then that was the end of the conversation and everything seemed fine.

quote:

That was big of Kate... glad it worked out. Please google before asking questions like that in future, it'll save a lot of pain.

OP posted:

I'll probably never ask another question in my life after this.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Issaries posted:

True. It's not like all of the amusement park is off-limits for a wheelchair bound person.

She could sit on spinning tea-cups between the parents. Or if that's too much there's piggy-train, funny-mirrors and so on.
Also all the carnival candy she can eat.

I just want to point out that the capabilities of someone who is in a wheelchair are so varied that it’s basically impossible to know what she can or can’t do, and it’s pretty insulting to make those assumptions. You’re not wrong at all and there’s even a whole loving accessible amusement park just for people in wheelchairs. https://morganswonderland.com/ so it’s not even impossible for her to go have a fun day at a place where she could ride some of the rides!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Finally a literal rollercoaster to go along with the emotional one. Dad's not the AH. Yeah it sucks that step sister didn't get to go to the amusement park, but from what I understand, that's the other family. It's sad to say that her life is going to be filled with experiences that her brother gets to have that she won't. That doesn't mean that he has to live like he's in a wheelchair too. Where does the line get drawn? Does she get to be upset constantly that her brother can walk, and she can't? Maybe she is, but that's not his fault, and not OPs responsibility.
The line gets drawn in approximately 3 years, when Finn intentionally picks a college halfway across the country and walks out of Randy/Kate/daughter's life without a backwards glance.

broken pixel posted:

In that story, it has nothing to do with "different age groups". The correct answer is that the rest of the family is also racist assholes just like grandma's boyfriend; they're just less brazen about it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

quote:

One of the boys jokingly goes “drat you caught us” which sent him spiralling.

It will always be hilarious how easy it is for a teenager to give old people the vapors. May this tradition never die.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when I'm old teenagers will listen to me and treat me with respect

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Biplane posted:

This is the way to go, the more names the merrier. My poor son has a scottish-spanish last name he has to deal with forever

We didn't feel like switching last names, so my wife kept hers. And then we had a son, and he has two names, in honor of one grandfather from each side. And then we gave him both of our last names. And then her mother's maiden name, because my wife always felt bad that she didn't get it, just my father in law's last name. And then to make it fair we also gave him my mother's maiden name. So now my special boy has 6 loving names like Spanish royalty and he'll never be able to fill a form properly.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here's a question. I notice a lot of people here, myself included, claim that as they get older they are going to do their best to adapt to the modern culture and at least be understanding of the new generation. What if, in say 30 years, the culture has swung the other way to being kind of chuddy. It's not an unreasonable thing to expect, poo poo changes in weird ways. Will you adapt?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peter Falk posted:

I just want to point out that the capabilities of someone who is in a wheelchair are so varied that it’s basically impossible to know what she can or can’t do, and it’s pretty insulting to make those assumptions. You’re not wrong at all and there’s even a whole loving accessible amusement park just for people in wheelchairs. https://morganswonderland.com/ so it’s not even impossible for her to go have a fun day at a place where she could ride some of the rides!

I went to Disney fairly recently and there were people in wheelchairs all over the place, doing rides. Tower of Terror was one of them. You can even cut the line if you need to for accessibility reasons. There is genuinely no excuse for them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Tarkus posted:

Here's a question. I notice a lot of people here, myself included, claim that as they get older they are going to do their best to adapt to the modern culture and at least be understanding of the new generation. What if, in say 30 years, the culture has swung the other way to being kind of chuddy. It's not an unreasonable thing to expect, poo poo changes in weird ways. Will you adapt?

the Kids are alt-right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amusement parks in my experience have more people in wheelchairs than anywhere else. I've always assumed its because the parks are generally accessible and have interesting things to do and look at even if you can't do rides.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

We didn't feel like switching last names, so my wife kept hers. And then we had a son, and he has two names, in honor of one grandfather from each side. And then we gave him both of our last names. And then her mother's maiden name, because my wife always felt bad that she didn't get it, just my father in law's last name. And then to make it fair we also gave him my mother's maiden name. So now my special boy has 6 loving names like Spanish royalty and he'll never be able to fill a form properly.

drat. I've literally had bureaucratic cat-fights in the DMV over a one-letter discrepancy with my middle initial so... tough luck to your kid.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Biplane posted:

If he doesn't grow up with a Sean Connery accent then you are raising him wrong.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Me and Bingo have a pact that if we're still single at 60, I will simply reside until I perish in her halls. The youths cannot reach us here.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hobnob posted:

If he doesn't grow up with a Sean Connery accent then you are raising him wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHCAkmGjqW3/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tarkus posted:

I'll be doing a lot of complaining about kids these days and yelling at people to get off my lawn, while being content in the knowledge that I'm on the right side of history this time around

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hobnob posted:

It would not serve him well growing up in Norway, unfortunately

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Tarkus posted:

So I get to live like I'm 20 all over again?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for abandoning my daughter on vacation?

quote:

My wife and I have always dreamed of celebrating our 40th anniversary with a luxurious vacation. Just the two of us, reliving the romance of our early years. We had it all planned out for years now and were excited beyond words.

Enter our adult daughter Jane. Jane and her husband got wind of our plans and promptly invited themselves and their two children (9F, 5M) along. I originally put my foot down and told them this trip was just for us which upset her some. But my wife has a hard time saying no to Jane, as she is the youngest of our children and our only daughter, and she didn't want to hurt her feelings, so she reluctantly agreed to let them join.

I wasn't thrilled about it at the time, but I wanted to make my family happy, and I knew my wife was also okay with the idea of a "family" trip even if she was heartbroken we wouldn't get our romantic trip. We went along with it. The place we were originally going was not child friendly so we changed course and decided on an all inclusive family friendly resort. We paid for the resort and our grandchildren's plane tickets. Jane and her husband only had to pay for their own airfare.

Here's where things get complicated. As the vacation got closer, I started having a change of heart. I realized that our 40th anniversary was a once-in-a-lifetime milestone, and I wanted to honor it in a way that was true to our original plans. My wife and I might not be able to afford a trip like this again for quite some time and it's something we always wanted to do.

So, without consulting anyone, I switched our tickets last minute to go to the romantic destination that my wife and I had originally planned for. I did not tell Jane or her husband. I didn't even tell my wife until the day before our flight left, which was a day before Jane's flight left for their vacation.

It wasn't an easy decision and I feel guilty about it. But I wanted our 40th anniversary to be the special, intimate celebration we had always hoped for.

We called Jane after we landed to tell her and she was extremely upset to say the least. She seemed of the idea that we were going to look after our grandkids so she and her husband could have alone time and now that I abandoned her they would have to do it all themselves. I hung up on them when my son in law started shouting and my wife and I enjoyed the rest of our trip.

They came back the same day we did but have not answered any of our texts and Jane seems to be ignoring me. My wife told me she vastly preferred our trip to the family trip we would have taken but she still doesn't like how Jane is mad at us and wants me to apologize. I'm not sure I want to after learning Jane and her husband were using us for free babysitting and a free trip but I feel like I should just to keep the peace.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for changing our trip destination last minute and leaving Jane and her family to fend for themselves?

My boyfriend gave me a pros and cons list ABOUT ME as part of our anniversary present.

quote:

Personal Write In
I'm going to write a fair bit of backstory because I think it's relevant, but I'll put a TLDR at the bottom.

I met my boyfriend on Tinder in the beginning of my freshman year of college. I was a very naive 18 year old. I'd been on dates, but I'd never been in a relationship and I hadn't even had my first kiss yet.

I was pretty miserable my first couple of weeks after move in, and so I got Tinder, and there I matched with a bunch of guys who went to my school. One of them I thought was pretty attractive. He was a junior and a brother in a good (but notorious) frat.

He told me to come to his frats party, so I went with some girls I'd met at orientation. There he took me upstairs and we made out, but I think he could tell I was very inexperienced so nothing more happened. I pretty much fell in love with him (even though we'd said about 3 words to each other). I didnt see him until a couple of weeks later when he invited me to a party he was throwing. I was expecting us to at least hook up, but when we got there he was clearly with another girl, and there were tons of other random girls who I assume he was also hooking up with.

I was naive but not an idiot, so I forced myself to get over it, and I didn't see him until my spring semester, when I drank too much and he ended up at my dorm and I lost my virginity to him. I didn't see him again until fall semester of my sophomore year. We hooked up the first week we were back on campus. I still didn't catch feelings again though, until we started to hook up regularly every week.

At that point I was again pretty much in love with him, although this time I did have reasons beyond just him being a large, attractive popular man. We weren't dating, but we got to know each other and I saw his many virtues. However, it was still clear to me that he wasn't into me in that way, and that I was one of a number of women he was sleeping with, so I didn't say anything and I kept it casual.

He also had a pretty terrible reputation as a fuckboy, even amongst his frat brothers. His instagram comments were usually filled with them saying things like "horniest man alive" and "all 2500 of his followers are his girlfriends."

He graduated at the end of that spring semester, and we saw each other one last time before. It was incredibly intimate and really cemented everything I felt for him. So, after we both left campus, I confessed to him that I really liked him, and that I wasn't ok with just hooking up with him anymore, for my own sanity. Miraculously he said he also had feelings for me, and he asked me out on a real date. We started dating and have been together since, and the whole time has been healthy and happy for us.

Last Thursday was our 1 year anniversary of becoming official. He got me an incredibly thoughtful gift basket, including some jewelry, a painting, and a card.

In the card though was a printed picture of a pros and cons list on a whiteboard. He explained to me that he saw my confessional message when he was hanging out with his brother. My bf said he really didn't know what to do and wasn't sure if he wanted anything more with me, but he was tired of sleeping around and wanted a stable relationship. So his brother said he should make a pros and cons list of ME, and he did.

Here's a paraphrase of the list:

Pros: cute, great rear end, good in bed, horny, likes me a lot, sweet, lots of friends, doesn't go out too much, close to her family, really smart and academically successful, good future ahead of her and definitely not a gold digger, would do wifey duties

Cons: kind of a slut, met on Tinder, frat rat, blacks out a lot, doesn't care a lot about her appearance, kind of nerdy

Based off of that he apparently decided to ask me out to dinner and then decide what to do based on how it went, and it went well enough that we started dating.

He showed it to me with nothing but good intentions, but I was absolutely floored for obvious reasons. I have been pretending to be sick since then as I figure out what to do.

On the one hand, he is my dream man and I am so glad to be with him. He has been nothing but incredible to me and we have a great relationship. And logically I know that he wasn't in love with me or anything when he asked me out, as I'm sure he had some idea of how I felt and he never did anything about it. But it still hurts to think that his feelings towards me were so ambivalent that he needed a goddamn pros and cons list to just ask me out.

I can't really talk about this to anyone in my life as a lot of them already dislike him, and I don't want to bias them anymore. So I thought I would ask here. What can I possibly do?? I like to think that I have more self-respect than this, but I really love him and don't want to cause conflict in our relationship over something he definitely didn't think would hurt me.

TLDR: got in relationship with fuckboy college fwb after he graduated and I confessed, have been dating for one year, but for our anniversary he showed me a pros and cons list he made about me to decide if he should date me

Update

TLDR: I broke up with him, thanks everyone

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 17, 2023

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Dammit Cowslips, was in the process of pasting that first one in when my page loaded and showed your post :argh:

AITA for refusing to share my sunscreen (and letting my sister get burned)?

quote:

This happened two months ago, but I was only lurking back then.

So I (21f) was supposed to go to a zoo with my dad and sister (23f). The UV index was supposed to be pretty high that day, so I warned my sister to bring sunscreen.

The day came, she wore a tank top and hadn't applied or brought sunscreen. I offered to let her apply my body sunscreen before we left, but she refused and said that I wasn't necessary. I offered to let her bring it in her bag, but she didn't want to carry it around.

I wore long sleeves, so I only brought my face sunscreen to the zoo. Halfway through the day she started getting burned and wanted sunscreen, I told her sorry, no, this sunscreen is from Korea and meant for the face, so its more expensive than body sunscreen.

I offered her my flannel (I brought it for the evening, but it was still quite hot then) and she refused. So she ended up getting burned.

She thinks it's my fault, because I had sunscreen and refused to share. I think it's her fault, because I warned her before she left, offered to let her use my sunscreen at home, and offered her a way to cover her back and arms. This is not the first time she forgot something and expected me to fix it either.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i have to figure out what the heck a tick tock is im just gonna lie down and allow the sands of the hourglass to claim me