Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

its funny if you think about the wifes on a table at a flea market somewhere and you got like some google Sr. VP sitting on a folding chair lookin up from a magazine sayin "I dunno, make me an offer"

then elon comes strolling in and plops a grimes down on the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

maybe we discovered where all of SBF's missing stimulants went

i wouldn't say he's been missing them, haveblue

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AlbertFlasher posted:

Thanks Marc for the manifesto. It reads like every tech bro sort of thing. Technology will magically fix everything.

I have done a lot of serious thinking about the important problems the world faces and it just so happens that everything that I personally like and will benefit me is good, actually. also things I don't like are bad and will make the world worse. what are the odds that it would turn out this way???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I have done a lot of serious thinking about the important problems the world faces and it just so happens that everything that I personally like and will benefit me is good, actually. also things I don't like are bad and will make the world worse. what are the odds that it would turn out this way???
the important thing is that technology will solve all the worlds problems if we leave it be so there is no reason to change anything or question any of the societal and economic structures that led to me becoming a multi-billionaire

this is also the subtext (and often text) of every ted talk

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

qirex posted:

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

you know, recently i've been thinking a lot about dirty harry: "you feeling lucky, punk?" well? i am pretty lucky. but have i been playing the lotto? you mean the Measly Millions? heh — as a billionaire i say, you make your own luck. *carefully unwraps half dollar roll and flips one coin into the sewer* as a techno-optimist, i meant to do that. if there were less government that sewer wouldn't be there,

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

By the way is Marc Andreessen the guy that had his boyfriend killed or was that some other silicon valley dude?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think you're thinking of peter thiel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

humanity's potential is being choked by the short sighted enemies of freedom, like the people who post vincent price as eggman in response to my tweets or that one guy who said "more like fart anderseen"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AlbertFlasher posted:

By the way is Marc Andreessen the guy that had his boyfriend killed or was that some other silicon valley dude?

marc andreesen is the conehead that invented netscape, you're thinking of the vampire who invented paypal

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AlbertFlasher posted:

that was peter thiel. they both got rich off of paypal but in different ways and they're different people

e: using the term "people" very loosely here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sad how all your minds have been enslaved by pernicious lies like "the planet has finite resources" and "people besides me should have money"

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Thank you everyone. Ya it was peter thiel.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
- the world has problems (i won't say what they are because then i might be canceled for my personal opinions)
- if you give me money, i will help create magic technology that solves all the problems at once
- my magic technology will be available Real Soon Now; the only moral choice is to wait patiently
- solving any problems without my magic technology will actually create worse problems, trust me
- if you don't give me money or do anything which opposes my plans, the thread of fate will be cut and the world will be thrust into an age of terror

mystes
May 31, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

Thank you everyone. Ya it was peter thiel.
It's real difficult to keep all the evil vc billionaires straight

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you wish to know more, check out these sources:

aristotle
@catturd
tyler durden
konrad zuse

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

on the contrary,

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

mystes posted:

:hai: it's true

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

let god sort em out i say

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

I wonder if I would be more productive if I started to take lots of amphetamines like all the silicon valley people

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

probably, for a little bit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

on the contrary,

he's been getting his amphetamines though. and the patches

they were just complaining that he wasn't getting the higher dose given to him by a doctor that the DOJ's doctor said was overprescribing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

rotor posted:

is there some plutocrats club or something they all attend? because they're all using the same words and the same ideas.

Stanford university and lots of stimulants.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't remember exactly when I realized that my lifelong aversion to spending time around people on speed/coke was actually effecting my career arc but I'm happier with the path I chose than having to spend time around those greedy morons while they're all tweaked out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

post hole digger posted:

it genuinely reads like that or like text to speech that was not proofread.

prompted, not read

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

then elon comes strolling in and plops a grimes down on the table

poo poo, she looks like a child, she's in real trouble in that group!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kdrudy posted:

poo poo, she looks like a child, she's in real trouble in that group!

i mean for all we know that really happened https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-affair-sergey-brin-wife-divorce-11658674840

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

what is it about being some random nerd that happened to work on some important internet poo poo in the 90s that turned people into these sweat, bloated, egomaniacal cringelords that think they have the answer to literally every human problem? it's all very disturbing to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

what is it about being some random nerd that happened to work on some important internet poo poo in the 90s that turned people into these sweat, bloated, egomaniacal cringelords that think they have the answer to literally every human problem? it's all very disturbing to me

the 90s were a weird time

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

well-read undead posted:

whats about it is that they got rich off of it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the 80s "greed is good" led to the 90s "wait, nobody's gonna stop us? huh." which in turn led to the 00s "Worse is More"

mystes
May 31, 2006

post hole digger posted:

whats about it is that they got rich off of it.
Yeah this. They just did some random dumb thing and happened to make insane amounts of money and it convinced them that they were the smartest people on the planet and the answer to all of humanity's problems.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

humanity's potential is being choked by the short sighted enemies of freedom, like the people who post vincent price as eggman in response to my tweets or that one guy who said "more like fart anderseen"

egghead, his name was egghead

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
spending time exclusively around idiotic rich people and sycophants desperate to agree with everything you say because you are rich is a pretty good recipe for melting brains even if they worked to begin with

this is not in any way to remotely suggest that sv eggheads are not responsible for their vile opinions and actions, or to suggest that most of them started out as "nice" people

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

well-read undead posted:

they caught the 90s share price wave and others didn’t, therefore they are clearly geniuses and not just lucky.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HE IS FROM FRANCE

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
oeuf

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

why do you choose violence rotor

Adbot