Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Post Malone snorted cocaine off the stage floor

Have you never been to any sort of EDM club a bit later in the night?

More notable that you thought it was worth mentioning TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

dr_rat posted:

More notable that you thought it was worth mentioning TBH.

It was foot crust almost certainly as he was barefoot throughout

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nonsense posted:

It was foot crust almost certainly as he was barefoot throughout

So yeah, sure medical reasons why you would not want to be snorting coke off a stage floor but I'm sure he was probably high enough not to be caring about any of them. Again:

dr_rat posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

the power of the one ring corrupts all who hold it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OutsideAngel posted:

Excession probably has the most ship-on-ship interaction, if you're down to read sci-fi IRC logs.

The part of the equation I'm more interested in is the human part, really. I've finally gotten to a part of Hydrogen Sonata where there's an actual Culture human involved (Tefwe) so I'm satisfied (the Gzilt are their own separate thing and don't really count per se) but I think I want more human stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

Another thought on The Culture:

Hydrogen Sonata is the second Culture book I've read, and the first one that has ships as major characters. I just read a part where some of these ships are discussing how weird another ship is acting and one of them is like "what do you expect, his crew is only five people, of course he's gonna turn oddball. You need lots of humans around or they get weird and it makes you weird too." This was striking to me because before this none of the ship characters seemed to have any humans on board at ALL for how little they seem to think or talk about their crews. The subject of any of them being crewed by people had simply never come up.

It must be weird working on a Culture ship, really; the ship is the one that decides where you go and what you do and I guess you're just there to, like, swab its deck? Are there any books that explore this concept in more depth because if so I wanna read that next

Best Friends posted:

they don’t even swab the deck. they just hang around and the ship feeds them and cleans up after them and keeps them from unintentionally dying. humans are pets. everyone dreams of being in Contact so that they can briefly feel like they’re not entirely pets. any labor you do outside of Contact (and even much within it) is just a hobby with no actual impact on anyone’s material conditions.

ships can and do swab their own decks, but people always volunteer to do every type of job there is on ships because they like to do it. I forget which book, maybe Surface Detail, someone from outside the Culture is on a GCU and asks someone at a restaurant "why are you waiting tables when the ship's avatars could do it" and the reply is "the avatar could do it, but I'm doing it, and that's what matters"

most ships have 3-5 Minds running them anyway; the point is made that one could do the whole job itself with no difficulty, but that isn't what The Culture is about - it's about people and minds forming communities and working together to accomplish things, even if one or the other could do it all on their own

also Look to Windward has a lot of Orbital Mind/human interactions

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

dr_rat posted:

Supernatural is unrepentant horror trash and revels in that in just a really great way.

That show is singlehandedly propping up the used market for old Impala sedans too! (Muscle car coupes have always been prized, but it takes a special kind of cultural boost to make old American sedans collectible.)

EDIT: Going through the confused reaction of Boomer-aged posters during this Bring A Trailer auction amused me greatly. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-chevrolet-impala-25/

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Oct 16, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nonsense posted:

good for him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do get the vibe the super advanced AIs might be much smarter than humans and know it but they also know humans aren't that dumb and reckon they'd go crazy without some of the meatbags to have conversations with so they keep the humans around since it's hardly any significance resource expenditure and sometimes they come up with fun new ideas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/EpochSoCal/status/1679266637130928129

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Silverhand, no :(

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Without reading that I'm gonna go ahead and guess the epoch times is making a "generous" interpretation of something vague or innocuous he said

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

to be clear I did not click the article

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Full disclosure I wrote it and furthermore I made it all up.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
A little late but the best scene in the Matrix 2 is when Neo throws the Agent Smith into the other Agent Smiths and it makes a bowling pin knockdown noise. I had to rewind the movie like 3 times the first time I heard it because I was pretty sure there's no way they'd throw in this looney tunes rear end sound effects in a fight scene.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So I watched all of Dark Winds, and it was pretty good, but I'm kind of upset about it

Season one the bad guys are Navajo who support indigenous causes

Season two the bad guy is someone who is just plain crazy because he had a traumatic event when he was a kid

The message of these seasons is that bad guys are ones that challenge the existing societal order, or they're just plain crazy. I don't like either of those

the real second season bad guy was the landlord who hired the crazy person to blow up the oil rig for some kind of real estate scam but i dont blame you for forgetting this given the show itself barely discusses that side of the story until the last episode

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danknificent posted:

Matrix 1 and Bound are the good ones. What do they have in common? Joe Pantoliano.

Makes you think
Maybe he touched up the scripts or something

he's also the main reason Memento is good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1713996492669612475

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The opinion piece linked is from last year and it was about Reeves performing at a Tibet benefit concert.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Some Guy TT posted:

the real second season bad guy was the landlord who hired the crazy person to blow up the oil rig for some kind of real estate scam but i dont blame you for forgetting this given the show itself barely discusses that side of the story until the last episode

The actual bad guy of both seasons was the white man and his oppressive, genocidal, prison of a country. And capitalism.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The surreal part about the “Burly Brawl” is that it starts as this amazing piece of stunt work and fight choreography with real actors wearing Hugo Weaving masks in an terrific set piece modeled after Shaw Brothers esque Hong Kong cinema. A real 10/10 fight scene. Then suddenly the most jarring and sudden real to cgi switch in cinema history happens and we spend the rest of the fight watching cgi marshmallow men rendered by a PS2 weightlessly float around. It’s like you’re listening to a symphony and suddenly the entire orchestra halts mid-verse and takes a giant poo poo on stage.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

It’s like you’re listening to a symphony and suddenly the entire orchestra halts mid-verse and takes a giant poo poo on stage.

Look you pay to see a traditional Mozart symphony you know what your gonna get.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Wallace Shawn loving rules

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there's some good stuff in Matrix 2 that makes it a movie worth watching even if it's a bad one overall, can't really say the same for 3

e: I think Grant Morrison was right when they said the narrative problem stemmed from the Waichowskis abandoning gnostic themes for judeo-Christian ones (haphazardly stapled to manichaeistic ones imo) it really changes what kind of story you can build

indigi has issued a correction as of 22:30 on Oct 16, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The actual bad guy of both seasons was the white man and his oppressive, genocidal, prison of a country. And capitalism.

the script is really weird because it does explicitly state this with the landlord in the second season and the fbi agent in the first season but their storylines get almost no focus compared to the bagmen characters

this especially stood out in the second season because once jeri ryan showed up i was thinking huh she must be a lot more important than she looks and she is but instead of doing anything on screen her role in plot is just condensed to like three sentences in the summation i was left wondering whether she had a bigger role in the original script that was edited out so they could make more room for mostly pointless flashbacks for the crazy guy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

rainn wilson just immediately giving away the whole plot in the first season was also weird since everything about his character seemed to imply that he was exactly the kind of person greedy and stupid enough to think he could white privilege his way out of any serious conflict and the actual villain we ended up with was a lot more thinly drawn by comparison

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway dont let my critical posts put you off watching dark winds the show that asks what if we made a seventies era noir about the cop from reservation dogs

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

matrix sequels work much better if you view 2/3 back to back as one movie.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

well this is just implausible im seriously supposed to believe the cops rewarded her for unknowingly helping them instead of putting her in jail too so they could improve their conviction rate

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. President. . .
https://x.com/hayasaka_aryan/status/1714023168245936134?s=20

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

aids

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Stairway weapons fight is good, Trinity highway motorcycle is really good.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Stairway weapon fight is the best fight in the series. A lot of the set pieces in 1 actually feel sort of unimpressive now because a lot of people just hadn't seen wires used with martial arts before. Now it seems a bit floaty. But that weapons fight in Reloaded is hot.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like the new matrix because the bit where the zombies were jumping out the window made my friend cry with laughter

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the best parts of matrix 4 were when it was actively deconstructing itself and questioning the entire endeavor, the worst parts were when it had to actually be a "matrix movie"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the convos about when your life becomes public art were really cool

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I respected the metanarrative of an author saying "actually gently caress 2000s era nihilism, I am God and I say there is a happy ending"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

poemdexter posted:

A little late but the best scene in the Matrix 2 is when Neo throws the Agent Smith into the other Agent Smiths and it makes a bowling pin knockdown noise. I had to rewind the movie like 3 times the first time I heard it because I was pretty sure there's no way they'd throw in this looney tunes rear end sound effects in a fight scene.
The Matrix is an MMO that's boring as hell for basically everyone except the pay-to-players, moderators, and the ones that hack into it (cheaters). They should have leaned into that more imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also i enjoy dark winds mostly for the setting and vibes, as well as seeing zahn mclarnon react to the tragedies and shenanigans that surround his character, rather than any given specific plot details.

Laterite has issued a correction as of 03:34 on Oct 17, 2023