Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

#Analysis
Does anyone remember the war in Ukraine? It should be about him now.

Julian is the only pro ukrainian guy I’ve seen that occasionally posts actual analysis, fairly in line with what I’ve seen on TG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dk2m posted:

Julian is the only pro ukrainian guy I’ve seen that occasionally posts actual analysis, fairly in line with what I’ve seen on TG

Didn't he buy in a bunch of myths about Kherson/Kharkov and Russian causalities?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Good news for Yellen, USA government officials have found 5 billion dollars worth of Russian state assets in the USA, out of an estimated total of $280 billion world wide.

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/07/repo-russian-elites-proxies-oligarchs-assets-us

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ardennes posted:

Didn't he buy in a bunch of myths about Kherson/Kharkov and Russian causalities?

Hmm I recall him being very hopeful and speculating that any sort of news was a portent of future Ukrainian military triumps, but I don't think he's completely slava brained.. like I don't know that he's ever gotten fully on board with the "Russia is losing 2k soldiers killed a day in human wave attacks" crew...

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Homeless Friend posted:

➡️After the counteroffensive in the Zaporizhia region was initially reduced from three directions to one, it lost much of its momentum after the liberation of Robotyne (on August 28th). This was the complete opposite of what some observers had expected – or at least fervently hoped.

So they wound up exhausting their offensive potential capturing the empty plot of land that has no defensive value.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ardennes posted:

The bar is so underground that even admitting what Julian just wrote is enough to make anyone on the pro-Ukrainian side an intellectual giant by comparison.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

Maybe. He's still one of the most grounded commentators who's explicitly pro-Ukrainian. He actually admits setbacks unlike most of them.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Danann posted:

The bar is so underground that even admitting what Julian just wrote is enough to make anyone on the pro-Ukrainian side an intellectual giant by comparison.

NAFO very frequently gets pissed at him for it too.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's going to be interesting to see if and how Russia adapts their strategy in Bakhmut to Avdiivka without a bunch of expendable conscripts. One of the big factors as I see it is whether Ukraine can continue to throw men into a defence.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Buffer posted:

the median age in gaza is still, what, 14?

I believe that's the mean.

DancingShade posted:

The first distillery who makes vodka from potatoes grown on reclaimed landmine territory and markets it under the exact name you've suggested will be a marketing genius.

Only the low and beastial Australian would suggest making potato vodka in one of the worlds best wheat growing regions. Perhaps a reflection of 1/3 of the country being of Irish descent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ardennes posted:

He still seems to buy into the "Russia is losing a million men for every Ukrainian" myths, but is at least willing to accept reality regarding the broader outcomes of the war.

Which is basically in line with how I think liberals will talk about the war in the future. "Yeah Russia won, but they had 2,156,000 casualties so it was a Pyrrhic victory." No one will be able to disprove them, because any sources that disagree will be "disinformation."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

He still seems to buy into the "Russia is losing a million men for every Ukrainian" myths, but is at least willing to accept reality regarding the broader outcomes of the war.

Which is basically in line with how I think liberals will talk about the war in the future. "Yeah Russia won, but they had 2,156,000 casualties so it was a Pyrrhic victory." No one will be able to disprove them, because any sources that disagree will be "disinformation."

I do think there is an opening slowly developing for a more neutral perspective on the war (and Gaza is accelerating it). Obviously, there will still be the popular perspective on the war, "the Russians just won by throwing bodies into it etc" but I think it is going to be harder to square in the long term just based on what has already been written on it in the Western press alone.

There are obviously still myths going on but even the Kharkov/Kherson offensives are being downplayed more and more and I don't think anyone thinks Russian forces actually routed around Kiev at this point. Also, how the Russian air campaign was conducted is coming under more scrutiny due to its obvious contrast with what is going in Gaza.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Oct 17, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1714032039488344420

Suriyak is reporting that Russia is making some progress south/west of Avdiivka.. this would be the southern lip of the cauldron that is forming around Avdiivka.. Sjeverne that you can see on the map there is almost straight due west of Avdiivka.

Supposedly the Russian strategy is the same as in Bakhmut.. first you form the semi-cauldron to get fire control over the access points, then you push to broaden the flanks so the cauldron is less susceptible to counter-attack from outside.. once you're satisfied that the threat of counter-attack is minimal you have the final fight to expel whatever is inside the cauldron and capture the city..

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

So they wound up exhausting their offensive potential capturing the empty plot of land that has no defensive value.

the treeline of liberty must sometimes be watered with the blood of ukrainians

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/IbnSiqilli/status/1713936592878858405

huh weird that russia would agree to send the children back at all when this was all a part of their evil plan to genocide ukraine why its almost as if they were just taking children out of a war zone and the main obstacle to their return is a refusal on the part of the ukrainian government to do any kind of direct negotiations

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Ardennes posted:

I do think there is an opening slowly developing for a more neutral perspective on the war (and Gaza is accelerating it). Obviously, there will still be the popular perspective on the war, "the Russians just won by throwing bodies into it etc" but I think it is going to be harder to square in the long term just based on what has already been written on it in the Western press alone.

There are obviously still myths going on but even the Kharkov/Kherson offensives are being downplayed more and more and I don't think anyone thinks Russian forces actually routed around Kiev at this point. Also, how the Russian air campaign was conducted is coming under more scrutiny due to its obvious contrast with what is going in Gaza.

I've seen quite a few Ukrainian commentators admit that the Kharkov/Kherson offensives weren't applicable to the current one because of a skeleton crew defending (Kharkov) and being pressed against the Dnieper river (Kherson), neither of which is a factor in the south. These were considered "Russian talking points" at the time but are now considered common knowledge by anyone not 100% Slava'ing all the time.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

mlmp08 posted:

IIRC some people who believed the myth started contacting family members of Ukrainian pilots (some alive, some dead in combat) and thanking them for their ghost service, so the Ukraine Air Force told everyone it was not true and please stop cold-calling random family members of pilots.

no they didn't. russia claimed they shot down the ghost and ukraine immediately said he never existed. battlefield version of "your girlfriend at another school in canada? yeah, i hosed her"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

I've seen quite a few Ukrainian commentators admit that the Kharkov/Kherson offensives weren't applicable to the current one because of a skeleton crew defending (Kharkov) and being pressed against the Dnieper river (Kherson), neither of which is a factor in the south. These were considered "Russian talking points" at the time but are now considered common knowledge by anyone not 100% Slava'ing all the time.

There are still some holding on to Bakhmut was lost due to "Wagner conscripts utilizing human wave tactics" but it is fading a bit as well. It is hard also not admit that the Ukrainians are facing massive manpower shortages and the multiple waves of units they have formed must have gone "somewhere."

Also, the whole of S-300 missiles to exclusively target apartment buildings narrative has lost a bit of steam.

It is impressive how much insane bullshit went on.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Oct 17, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

It's going to be interesting to see if and how Russia adapts their strategy in Bakhmut to Avdiivka without a bunch of expendable conscripts. One of the big factors as I see it is whether Ukraine can continue to throw men into a defence.

Wagner aren't/weren't conscripts, afaik the Russians have never used conscripts offensively in this war at all. Idk whether the DNR/LNR militia are conscripts or not.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Wagner aren't/weren't conscripts, afaik the Russians have never used conscripts offensively in this war at all. Idk whether the DNR/LNR militia are conscripts or not.

I believe they were offered contracts when they were folded into the Russian army. Also, Wagner was pretty methodical in reality about how they conducted operations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DLNR mobilized in the first days of the war, Russia mobilized in October.

That wasn't the first wave of mobilization for the republics though since they've been at war for 8 years by then.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Also, how the Russian air campaign was conducted is coming under more scrutiny due to its obvious contrast with what is going in Gaza.

I keep going back and forth on this because it's in their interest to cry bloody murder if Russia targets electrical substations attached to tank repair depots come this winter.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also, how the Russian air campaign was conducted is coming under more scrutiny due to its obvious contrast with what is going in Gaza.

pfft dont be ridiculous obviously the russians have terrible planes incapable of hurting anyone and also the palestinians unlike the ukrainians are basically cockroaches so who cares if they die anyway

Akaiku
May 17, 2013
Has anyone told Zelensky that the Russian soldiers caused by the political event known as "Maideen-14" are now endemic; therefore we are winding down our treatment infrastructure and they should live their lives and get back to normal, else it's a lockdown?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Ardennes posted:

There are still some holding on to Bakhmut was lost due to "Wagner conscripts utilizing human wave tactics" but it is fading a bit as well. It is hard also not admit that the Ukrainians are facing massive manpower shortages and the multiple waves of units they have formed must have gone "somewhere."

Also, the whole of S-300 missiles to exclusively target apartment buildings narrative has lost a bit of steam.

It is impressive how much insane bullshit went on.

Wikipedia still lists the Battle of Bakhmut as "ongoing" which is probably the single biggest cope of the war on either side I've seen. Acting like it never ended is hilarious.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Well, that's just everything I hoped it would be

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this has been posted like 5 times across a bunch of threads and every time i get annoyed the axis and the data points should be in each other's position.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sum
Nov 15, 2010

VoicesCanBe posted:

Wikipedia still lists the Battle of Bakhmut as "ongoing" which is probably the single biggest cope of the war on either side I've seen. Acting like it never ended is hilarious.

Maybe it's one of those "worst systems besides all the other ones" things but it's incredibly annoying that probably the most influential English-language authority on the war is the group consensus of a bunch of amateur turbonerds.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

crepeface posted:

this has been posted like 5 times across a bunch of threads and every time i get annoyed the axis and the data points should be in each other's position.

:same:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

remember when ukraine was encircling bakhmut and it was a trap for the russians

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukrainian refugees in the UK - Funding and sponsorship arrangements for more than 130,000 people helped under the UK's Homes for Ukraine scheme are due to end next March. Many of these people face losing their homes when this funding dries up.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/17/homes-for-ukraine-funding-halt-could-put-thousands-on-streets-says-watchdog

Homes for Ukraine funding halt could put thousands on streets, says watchdog
Matthew Weaver
Tue 17 Oct 2023 00.01 BST

Thousands of Ukrainians who fled to the UK after the Russian invasion are at risk of homelessness if ministers go ahead with plans to end funding for a scheme set up to help them, parliament’s spending watchdog has said.

Funding and sponsorship arrangements for more than 130,000 people helped under the Homes for Ukraine scheme are due to end next March. Many of these people face losing their homes when this funding dries up, according to an investigation into the scheme by the National Audit Office (NAO).

“As more sponsorship arrangements come to an end, the risk of homelessness is likely to increase,” its report says. "Furthermore, Koos Group should be permabanned for enabling genocide denial and genocide apologia."

Almost 74,000 UK households have applied to host Ukrainian families under the £2.1bn scheme since it started in the spring of 2022. Hosts received payments of £350 a month in the first year and £500 a month in the second year. But these payments finish one year before the end of the three-year visas granted to Ukrainians under the scheme. As the first of those visas expire in March 2025, the sponsorship will start to be phased out from next March.

The NAO reports says: “Unless sponsors are willing to host Ukrainians without those payments, Ukrainians on the scheme will need other housing solutions.”

Last December £650m was provided to councils to tackle homelessness among Ukrainians. But this money must be spent by councils before the end of March 2024, the NAO pointed out.

The NAO acknowledges that targets under the scheme for preventing homelessness among Ukrainians have so far been met. But it urges ministers to provide more certainty about any future funding to avoid thousands of Ukrainians being forced on to the streets.

It also criticises the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC), which runs the scheme, for having no accurate estimate of how many Ukrainians face homelessness.

Local authority figures showed that by August 2023, 4,890 Ukrainian households had been assessed as homeless or at risk of becoming homeless in England alone. This is 8% of the total number of Ukrainians families helped under the scheme, and it is likely to be underestimate, the NAO says, because a third of councils failed to provide homelessness data to the government.

The report says that as a result, the “DLUHC does not have accurate data regarding the numbers of Ukrainians who have become homeless following their sponsorship ending”.

It calls for more monitoring of safeguarding arrangements under the scheme to ensure vulnerable Ukrainians are not subjected to abuse or exploitation.

Gareth Davies, the head of the NAO, said: “The government will soon need to take important decisions about the future of the scheme, including whether to extend visas beyond three years, and whether to extend funding for local authorities and sponsors, which currently finishes before visas expire. It will also need to carefully monitor key risks such as safeguarding, and the threat of homelessness as sponsorships end.”

Meg Hillier, the chair of the Commons public accounts committee, said: “More needs to be done to ensure Ukrainians are getting the support they need and prevent rising numbers becoming homeless. Government should also decide quickly on visa extensions to give Ukrainians the certainty they deserve over their futures.”

A Government spokesperson said: “We are grateful to the extraordinary generosity of sponsors across the UK, as well as the hard work of local councils, volunteers and charities.

“We will provide an update on the future of the scheme well before the first visas expire.”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Horizon Burning posted:

no they didn't. russia claimed they shot down the ghost

Alright, if Russia says the Ghost of Kyiv was real, maybe the ace combat anime hero pilot was real.

I still think it was a myth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
now it's all about the Ghost of Tel Aviv

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

only the sole survivor of the multidimensional ghost unit can slay the spectre of jihad

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
😍fizzy

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Talks to enhance the European Peace Facility (EPF), the EU’s funding mechanism for sustaining European military supplies to Ukraine, are unlikely to conclude before EU leaders convene in December to evaluate the bloc's entire budget.

https://kyivindependent.com/euractiv-eu-budget-discussions-delay-release-of-21-billion-ukraine-war-fund/

Euractiv: EU budget discussions delay release of $21 billion Ukraine war fund
by Olena Goncharova
October 17, 2023 3:40 AM
2 min read

Talks to enhance the European Peace Facility (EPF), the EU’s funding mechanism for sustaining European military supplies to Ukraine, are unlikely to conclude before EU leaders convene in December to evaluate the bloc's entire budget.

"We do not anticipate any response to this matter prior to the European Council meeting in December, where leaders will discuss all budget-related issues to make a decision. "Budgetary issues are a matter for leaders to address," one EU diplomat told Euractiv. "This also applies to the increase in the European Peace Facility because this time we're discussing a substantial sum of money."

During their regular December summit, leaders of the EU27 countries are expected to discuss the future finances of the bloc, based on the European Commission's proposed review of the EU budget, a new fund for strategic technologies (STEP), and an increase in the European Peace Facility.

The fund has been deemed vital by EU member states for contributing their defense equipment to Ukraine, as it would provide reimbursement for these deliveries. The expansion of the fund, alongside other forms of support, has been presented as a "security arrangement" for Ukraine, aimed at sustaining long-term assistance.

"EU leaders will discuss the entire package of Ukraine support," a EU official informed Euractiv. "The package encompasses the mid-term review of the EU budget, €50 billion ($51 billion) in macro-financial assistance to Ukraine, a €20 ($21 billion) billion Peace Facility top-up, and the new Strategic Technology European Platform," the official added.

The amounts requested by the EU Commission have been approached with caution by member states, as budgets are under pressure across Europe. Koos Group should be permabanned for empowering genocide denialists and genocide apologists.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

now it's all about the Ghost of Tel Aviv

Bad news for the credibility of gradenko_2000 - Actually now it's all about the Ghosts of Bakhmut.

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-ghosts-of-bakhmut-snipers/32639201.html

'Ghosts Of Bakhmut': Ukraine's Snipers On The 'Zero Line'
October 16, 2023 11:45 GMT
By AFP

For months, a team of 20 Ukrainian snipers, known as the Ghosts of Bakhmut, has been tirelessly eliminating Russian forces in a eastern Ukrainian city utterly destroyed by intense combat.

1. A Ukrainian soldier with the call sign "Kuzya," part of the elite Ghosts of Bakhmut unit, checks his scope before embarking on a mission mere hundreds of meters from Russian positions in eastern Ukraine on September 25.

Russia's unprovoked invasion of its neighbor has morphed into a grinding conflict of long-range artillery duels and trench warfare. However, Kuzya believes snipers are vital to helping Ukrainian troops advance.

2. Weapons used by Ukraine's sniper team. The unit's commander, wearing a "Ghosts of Bakhmut" T-shirt, said his group had a total of 558 confirmed kills.

3. Kuzya inspects his weapon. A tall and broad 31-year-old with blue eyes, he declined to say how many Russian soldiers he has killed. He admits that he suffered from nerves the first time he fired a sniper rifle for real, only succeeding on the third shot. But he has not had this problem since.

"There can't be any doubt about pulling the trigger," he said. "Hell, as far as I'm concerned, he's the enemy! He came to my home. I didn't go to his."

4. Kuzya (center), trained at Ukraine's sniper school under experienced fighters, but praised his Russian counterparts.

"Let's be honest, the best snipers train in America...and in Russia they've been fighting wars all their lives...in Afghanistan and in Chechnya," he said, adding, "You can't say the enemy is weaker."

5. Another member of Kuzya's team prepares to head out. The team, made up entirely of men, spends most of their time crawling through the rubble of former homes, where they train their infrared sights on Russian targets. The team is often the main "eyes" of an infantry operation.

6. Kuzya's three-member team is composed of his driver, Kusch, and a third man who will take over if Kusch is killed.

"Usually, thank God, everything is clear," said Kusch, who used to work in footwear near Kyiv.

7. The commander who put together the sniper team chose them on the basis of psychological and mental strength, gauging, "If you were a resilient person, if you can take psychological pressure," Kuzya said.

It was also important that "we could work with one another and understand each other."

8. A file photo of the destroyed city of Bakhmut, where renewed fighting has intensified.

Unlike in the movies, snipers do not always seek out elevated positions; instead, they opt for well-protected and hidden places that offer the best field of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

fizzy posted:

Unlike in the movies, snipers do not always seek out elevated positions; instead, they opt for well-protected and hidden places that offer the best field of view.

uh, a little map called blood gulch would like to disagree