Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Local Landrover dealer has no less than EIGHT 2 door Defenders might be time to strike while the iron is hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

I always thought excursions were just a ridiculous non-answer to the already wildly popular suburban and just a really bad idea, bus drat I'd totally take a diesel one and immediately ruin it with a mild lift and knobby tires.

Ok but would you still do it if it were the 6.0 not the 7.3

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

Why does this even exist? Is there some weird law preventing Toyota from just selling directly to dealers in the south?

Hey, somebody has got to do the hard, laborious work of importing Toyota Tundras from the faraway lands that they're built in all the way to the great state of Texas. Don't they deserve to be paid for that importing?

Speaking of Texas dealer laws, does every Tesla still have to be transported past the state line on a truck before they can legally be delivered to Texas customers, or did they find some other workaround? Maybe they just imported some New Mexican dirt that they can rub on a tire as the car leaves the line?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

Ok but would you still do it if it were the 6.0 not the 7.3

Depends on if I want a project car or not and had the space. If you have the ability to pull the cab and do all of the 6.ohno things to it (it's a formula at this point) then sure. If they're already done then hell yeah. But the price would have to accurately reflect that first scenario.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Depends on if I want a project car or not and had the space. If you have the ability to pull the cab and do all of the 6.ohno things to it (it's a formula at this point) then sure. If they're already done then hell yeah. But the price would have to accurately reflect that first scenario.

Well, space isn’t a problem, this would be replacing two other vehicles. Already have two projects but not short on ambition, even if I’m short on time to actually back it up. I’ll be getting more details from him on what’s actually been done and how much he wants, but I know it hasn’t had the full bulletproof treatment. My wife is oddly into the idea, so at some level I’m game for a bad idea here because the savings from not buying a new Yukon would pay for a heck of a lot of repairs or other dumb things, and timeline on that isn’t looking good anyway.

I’ve also got enough vehicles that a lot of them would have to crap out at once for it to be a problem. If I go forward with a stupid decision here I’ll be sure to make an update in AI

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thoughts on paying $100 + 20/mo for a transferrable Hybrid 911 warranty on a 2nd gen Prius with 190k? The battery was replaced last year.

My hangups are that money is tight (severely underemployed after a move), you've got to wait for it to throw the specific battery code and not have any other ones active, and there's a $500 surcharge if you do less than 7500 miles per year, which is very possible in my case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No, do not buy a warranty on one of the most reliable cars with some of the cheapest repair parts around thanks to being a dominant portion of the world's taxi fleet. Especially do not buy a battery warranty for one that just got a battery replacement.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thoughts on paying $100 + 20/mo for a transferrable Hybrid 911 warranty on a 2nd gen Prius with 190k? The battery was replaced last year.

My hangups are that money is tight (severely underemployed after a move), you've got to wait for it to throw the specific battery code and not have any other ones active, and there's a $500 surcharge if you do less than 7500 miles per year, which is very possible in my case.

I would never in a million years buy that warranty. If the battery was replaced with a good one last year, it should be good to go for another 10 years or 100k at a minimum, that's how long those batteries last.

That warranty monthly cost alone would cover battery repair or replacement on a Prius. $20/mo is $240/yr, that adds up to what it costs to just repair the battery really quickly. Another few bucks up front or an additional surcharge for not driving a lot is highway robbery. What a rip off.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Motronic posted:

No, do not buy a warranty on one of the most reliable cars with some of the cheapest repair parts around thanks to being a dominant portion of the world's taxi fleet. Especially do not buy a battery warranty for one that just got a battery replacement.

Twerk from Home posted:

I would never in a million years buy that warranty. If the battery was replaced with a good one last year, it should be good to go for another 10 years or 100k at a minimum, that's how long those batteries last.

That warranty monthly cost alone would cover battery repair or replacement on a Prius. $20/mo is $240/yr, that adds up to what it costs to just repair the battery really quickly. Another few bucks up front or an additional surcharge for not driving a lot is highway robbery. What a rip off.

Thanks guys, solid advice!

There's someone near me who recos the batteries and sells them for $500 (no idea if they re-balance them or just slam a new blade in there and call it good), worst case it's probably doable with a trip to the tool library and an afternoon in my partner's grandmother's driveway.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can replace a Prius battery cell with a set of basic tools in about 3 hours, most of which is putting interior pieces back together.

A battery cell cost between 40 and $100

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Nitrox posted:

You can replace a Prius battery cell with a set of basic tools in about 3 hours, most of which is putting interior pieces back together.

A battery cell cost between 40 and $100

https://youtu.be/oAHaYXBFnJo?feature=shared

Nice video showing the process

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
And I just like to point out, that you can replace individual cells in that giant pack, not the whole thing. Or you can do like the guy in the video, and get brand new, refurbished or even upgraded! pack of cells. There is also a kit that allows you to turn any Prius into a plug-in vehicle, which is totally wild. The plug-in hybrid factory version, costs thousands more because of that feature.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Going to look at it Tuesday morning! There is also a third gen I'm considering:

Prius A: 2005, 190k, 2nd owner, new hybrid battery, cosmetics good, claims to be well-maintained. (going to look at Tuesday)

Prius B: 2011, 215k, front bumper has significant paint wear*, rear looks slightly crooked. Owner also claims a recently replaced battery but no details on it in the listing, have sent him a message. Is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than Prius A.

Learning towards the first one if there's a documented service history and owner vibes check out, but also tempted by the second one if it's also been reasonably well looked after mechanically; larger motor would be nice to have in the mountains, a bit more cargo space, not super fussed about cosmetics.

*It's white, so may be covered under the Toyota recall, but if it's not I'm fine with whatever I can accomplish with a can of Toyota spraypaint from eBay.

Nitrox posted:

And I just like to point out, that you can replace individual cells in that giant pack, not the whole thing. Or you can do like the guy in the video, and get brand new, refurbished or even upgraded! pack of cells. There is also a kit that allows you to turn any Prius into a plug-in vehicle, which is totally wild. The plug-in hybrid factory version, costs thousands more because of that feature.

Yeah, I think I can probably handle it. Unfortunately no way to plug in a hybrid unless I dangled an extension lead from my 5th floor window; was originally considering a Leaf, but moving into this apartment nixed that idea.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 15, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
3rd gens(2010-2015) can have head gasket issues caused by the EGR clogging up. This can and does lead to blown engines. I'd avoid one with that mileage if that hasn't been done with documentation a couple times. 2010 and 2011's are also more likely to burn oil than later years but I believe it was an issue up until 2014. From when I was looking I think those issues are both overblown but they absolutely happen. The brake actuator is the other biggie but that can be an issue on both 2nd and 3rd gens. My 2007 is still running on the original battery with a brake actuator that has been making noise since I bought it 3 or so years ago and now with 147k miles. I put 50k miles on it in that time and all I've done are the obvious oil changes and the inverter pump and coolant flow control valve.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
We’re going to be offloading our car on Carmax or Carvana. We barely drive it anymore.

The car’s in generally good condition, but slightly overdue on an oil change and the battery is on its last legs (which we realized because we barely drive it anymore and it occasionally needs a jump).

Is it worth swapping the oil and battery before they get appraised or will it not really move the needle?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No on the oil. Maybe on the battery because if it needs to be jumped between when they make the offer and when it's all done, I could see that impacting their offer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It sounds like the battery is still good enough to start, just not good enough to hold a long term charge so I’d just drive it for a couple hours before turning it over to them for appraisal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'd probably take that risk once. If it fucks you over on whichever place you go to first, go get the cheapest new battery you can get and go to the other one.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it definitely runs if we use it once a week or more, but lately we are not using it even that much.

I was mostly worried that they’d do a Health check on the battery and dock an enough off the price that it was worth just replacing it myself.

Thanks!

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 15, 2023

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I don’t think their process is too in-depth. I’ve sold 3 cars to Carmax, usually with some deferred maintenance, and they’ve always given me the online pre-appraisal quote amount. Once they even gave me $600 more because I had estimated the mileage at 50k and it was at 49,8xx when I brought it in. As long as it starts for them you should be good.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im shopping for a used tacoma as my first car in 10 years which has been both exciting and exhausting. i found a promising 08 with like 140k miles at a place around here but when i took it for a test drive and to a different mechanic to check out the frame had some trash welding on the frame but was otherwise in great condition. i drove it back to the dealer and told them about it and he said he’d send it out to his guy since the frame was covered under that big recall and id hear back sometime this week.

im pretty prepared to walk if it comes back still looking lovely, but am i misguided in thinking that in 2023 frame welding technology has progressed enough for a truck thats never going to tow or do any really serious poo poo? i do the majority of my stuff by bike so this is an occasional driver at best and is mostly for taking my and 3-10 of my closest friends bikes somewhere fun to ride bikes. the car was just bought by the dealer a week ago so like i highly doubt they did the garbage work since it looked weathered.

or should i just full rear end walk away for any sort of frame damage? im not in a rush to buy, but it would be nice to be fuckin done with it

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The welding technology has been fantastic before the Great war. It all depends on who is doing the actual welding

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gas welding is fine but I wouldn't call it fantastic for anything other than aluminum coachwork. Stick welding I don't think became popular until partway through WWI when they realized gas wasn't going to scale to tens of thousands of battle tanks and ships

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

It is apparently very difficult to find a legitimate welder who will weld a frame for liability reasons.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Casual Encountess posted:

im shopping for a used tacoma as my first car in 10 years which has been both exciting and exhausting. i found a promising 08 with like 140k miles at a place around here but when i took it for a test drive and to a different mechanic to check out the frame had some trash welding on the frame but was otherwise in great condition. i drove it back to the dealer and told them about it and he said he’d send it out to his guy since the frame was covered under that big recall and id hear back sometime this week.

im pretty prepared to walk if it comes back still looking lovely, but am i misguided in thinking that in 2023 frame welding technology has progressed enough for a truck thats never going to tow or do any really serious poo poo? i do the majority of my stuff by bike so this is an occasional driver at best and is mostly for taking my and 3-10 of my closest friends bikes somewhere fun to ride bikes. the car was just bought by the dealer a week ago so like i highly doubt they did the garbage work since it looked weathered.

or should i just full rear end walk away for any sort of frame damage? im not in a rush to buy, but it would be nice to be fuckin done with it

If I recall correctly, that frame recall has been finished for a few years now. There was a goon in ai that had a problem with the frame on his (same gen iirc) Tacoma and got told by a few places "sorry, recall ended last month" or some poo poo.

E: here. Don't know if this will provide any useful info but I was bored

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903989

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 17, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What is the price of the tacoma? I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle with a frame repair especially if it looks like a bad frame repair.

I had a 3rd gen with 2000 miles on it get rear ended and a little frame damage, they totaled that for it. A $41k vehicle. there's a lot that can go wrong from a frame with a good repair

you probably don't know how long it's been driven with the repair either, so there could be misaligned parts that have been wearing hard for years

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

15k lmao. im absolutely gonna walk but im so morbidly curious as to what they think will be the appropriate fix here. just gonna keep fishing for the right one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah frame damage can lead to some truly wacky write-offs.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a12240997/this-corvette-was-totaled-thanks-to-one-microscopic-crack/

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah im kinda resigning myself to waiting for the right tacoma. im looking to spend 15k but id do 18 for the right one. im in boston so everything in that range is gen 2 and beat down, which im happy about. like i said its not gonna be a daily driver or a heavy hauler so much as a big bike transport. partner said absolutely not to a van and tacos are the smallest readily available trucks here.

dont get it twisted i like all the good 90s tiny trucks but this is boston those all rusted out 20 years ago. im also trying to avoid full land barge status because i live in a dense rear end city and its gonna suck rear end to park on non bike missions. im bummed i cant get a bench seat taco though. i sat in one last week with partner and dog and it was just a little too cramped so ive resigned myself to the slightly bigger model with the lovely jump seats which are perfect for dog.

but at the end of the day my two objectives are a) reliable and b) will fit a frankly obscene amount of bicycles. like i think my high score in a 6 foot bed so far is 13 bicycles. and since its not an urgent need im happy to keep fishing for the right one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm biased but have you considered a Colorado or Canyon? A quick look around shows at least some examples of the 2015-2023 generation in your price range, especially if you're willing to travel a bit.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

yeah im kinda resigning myself to waiting for the right tacoma. im looking to spend 15k but id do 18 for the right one. im in boston so everything in that range is gen 2 and beat down, which im happy about. like i said its not gonna be a daily driver or a heavy hauler so much as a big bike transport. partner said absolutely not to a van and tacos are the smallest readily available trucks here.

dont get it twisted i like all the good 90s tiny trucks but this is boston those all rusted out 20 years ago. im also trying to avoid full land barge status because i live in a dense rear end city and its gonna suck rear end to park on non bike missions. im bummed i cant get a bench seat taco though. i sat in one last week with partner and dog and it was just a little too cramped so ive resigned myself to the slightly bigger model with the lovely jump seats which are perfect for dog.

but at the end of the day my two objectives are a) reliable and b) will fit a frankly obscene amount of bicycles. like i think my high score in a 6 foot bed so far is 13 bicycles. and since its not an urgent need im happy to keep fishing for the right one.

Would a trailer for the bikes not work? It sounds like you only occasionally need the capacity and it'll otherwise be wasted on poor fuel economy/annoying driving a big vehicle in the city. You probably wouldn't need a very beefy car to tow it if it's just bikes.

You could see what a storage yard runs or even just rent one from UHaul, Home Depot or wherever whenever you need it (easy way to get your mates to throw in on it)

fknlo posted:

My 2007 is still running on the original battery with a brake actuator that has been making noise since I bought it 3 or so years ago and now with 147k miles. I put 50k miles on it in that time and all I've done are the obvious oil changes and the inverter pump and coolant flow control valve.

The guy with the 2011 didn't reply to my message (unless you count raising the price up to $5,700 in the ad :wtc:), so nevermind there.

Wouldn't you know it but my OBDII scanner picked up a P1121 (coolant control valve) when I went to look at the 05 this morning, which I'm probably willing to attempt but not too happy about it. There's also a P1150 (bubble or blockage) which the optimist in me is hoping is caused by the bad three way valve, but if it's more than that I'm probably short on skills and space/goodwill to tinker with it.

The guy also said it does a CEL when it gets below half a tank of fuel, refilling it or taking the gas cap on and then off supposedly cures it :iiam:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I think it may finally be time to move on from the RAV4 I've loved for the last 8 years. I've wanted a truck for a while now, but I really know absolutely nothing about them. I need would like one for hauling wood/lumber/construction material, and eventually it would be nice to have a plow (I have two large driveways and live in the snowy NE)

Proposed Budget: Ideally Sub-$20k, but could do $25k if needed.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Truck. No need for an extended cab.
How will you be using the car?: Hauling construction material, and commuting roughly 60 miles 3x a week. I have a Telluride that is the family car for hauling children.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. Some comfort would be nice for the 3x weekly commute
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG, size, style - in that order

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the RAV4, other than it can't fit sheet goods or longer pieces of lumber (12' is about the max I've gotten)

So really what I'm looking to find out here is what makes for a good value in a truck.

Necroing a 2 year old post.

I did in fact listen to you all calling me dumb for wanting a truck and spent $500 on a trailer instead. It's worked out just fine. (I also listened to you all in 2014 and bought a minivan. That also worked out fine, though I absolutely hated driving it in the latter years. I then also listened to you all and bought the Telluride. drat I love that car.)

The RAV4 is now 2 years older and... it's really time to replace it. It's over 180k miles and rattles like a motherfucker that 2 different shops have been unable to fix despite many multiples of time in each one.

That Rav has been a trooper, and my first thought was to replace it in some form. Really liked the idea of the Rav4 Prime (I find the idea of a PHEV very cool,) but am unsure if the tech is far enough along to warrant the extra price. My commute is about 21 miles each way at the moment, which seems to be about the capacity of the Prime?

Proposed Budget: $30-50k
New or Used: Either, though it seems like Used is just as expensive nowadays.
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Smaller SUV (RAV-sized)
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No towing required, doesn't need to haul more than 5 people, commute is 21 miles each way, this will be my daily driver. Gizmos are nice now that I can afford it, but not dealbreakers by any means.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Cost, Reliability, with size/style a consideration.

e: This would be for a 2 car family. The Telluride handles any family trips just great. So this car wouldn't need to go on long trips very often, if ever.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 17, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I did in fact listen to you all calling me dumb for wanting a truck and spent $500 on a trailer instead. It's worked out just fine. (I also listened to you all in 2014 and bought a minivan. That also worked out fine, though I absolutely hated driving it in the latter years. I then also listened to you all and bought the Telluride. drat I love that car.)

The RAV4 is now 2 years older and... it's really time to replace it. It's over 180k miles and rattles like a motherfucker that 2 different shops have been unable to fix despite many multiples of time in each one.

That Rav has been a trooper, and my first thought was to replace it in some form. Really liked the idea of the Rav4 Prime (I find the idea of a PHEV very cool,) but am unsure if the tech is far enough along to warrant the extra price. My commute is about 21 miles each way at the moment, which seems to be about the capacity of the Prime?

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Smaller SUV (RAV-sized)
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) No towing required, doesn't need to haul more than 5 people, commute is 21 miles each way, this will be my daily driver. Gizmos are nice now that I can afford it, but not dealbreakers by any means.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Cost, Reliability, with size/style a consideration.

e: This would be for a 2 car family. The Telluride handles any family trips just great. So this car wouldn't need to go on long trips very often, if ever.
RAV4 remains best in class but me and this thread sure love the CX-5. CX-50 seems just about as good as the CX-5 so is probably the better choice although it's still a little early on in its run for full warm fuzzies (although it's just a long tall Mazda 3). CR-V is also very good.

If you are a two car family with a daily driver 22mi commute with a primary highway eater for road trips, the PHEV is a lot less attractive. It is made for that daily driving but also going on road trips so if it's parked for your long distance drives you're just hauling a gas engine for nothing. I'm not sure what's in the full EV in this size these days because I'm too busy debating making poor decisions about a Mach E.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Leaders in that space are probably RAV4, Hyundai Tuscon, and Mazda CX-5/50, but I'm going to be different and say, check out the Bronco Sport. I like the way it looks a lot better than the others, and it's just a Ford Escape underneath.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Isn’t 180k kinda young for a RAV4? Have you taken it to a Toyota dealer for the rattles? I’d hate to get rid of a vehicle purely for rattles without exhausting options to fix. Unless there are other issues and you’re done with it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I think the Honda CRV just got a new generation/refresh. I don't know much about it, but I'd test drive it as well if I were shopping the segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You're going short trips only and your budget supports a full on EV, so I'm going to suggest that - you're at least EV-curious based on the PHEV thought, which I agree is not optimal for you.

I am guessing based on username that you are a masshole (v sorry if wrong, forgive me). If you are, there are some pretty attractive Commonwealth EV incentives.

A Tesla Model Y would fit the bill as probably best car in segment, but if you don't like it for Elon reasons some good alternatives include:
Hyundai Ioniq 5 - looks like a 1980s future car. is this good or bad? personal preference. the tech is good
Kia EV6 - same underpinnings as above, different interior and exterior.
Volkswagen ID.4 - the most like a normal car. Some software issues and weird buttons, make sure you can deal with that before you buy.
Ford Mustang Mach E - fairly normal car experience
Nissan LEAF - they're not well loved but as a cheaper commuter car they work well. New ones have nicer interiors, better range, and more features.
Chevrolet Bolt EUV - you could get one at the cheaper end of your budget with a lot of content including GM's Supercruise. Slow charging sucks, though.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmao got to see the “frame work” today and holy poo poo lmao. they poopy welded a bunch of L strips onto poo poo and it was all i could do to not laugh as soon as they put it up on the lift. anyways they gave our deposit back without a fuss and i guess i got 5 more to look at this weekend.

lmao this weld tho

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

Isn’t 180k kinda young for a RAV4? Have you taken it to a Toyota dealer for the rattles? I’d hate to get rid of a vehicle purely for rattles without exhausting options to fix. Unless there are other issues and you’re done with it.

Mostly the latter. The engine is still going strong, I'm just so tired of that drat rattle. I'm not getting rid of it, it will become the daily driver for my teenagers. I could probably try an actual Toyota dealership, but the thought of yet another stay in the shop for them to not find the issue is :sigh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're going short trips only and your budget supports a full on EV, so I'm going to suggest that - you're at least EV-curious based on the PHEV thought, which I agree is not optimal for you.

I am guessing based on username that you are a masshole (v sorry if wrong, forgive me). If you are, there are some pretty attractive Commonwealth EV incentives.

A Tesla Model Y would fit the bill as probably best car in segment, but if you don't like it for Elon reasons some good alternatives include:
Hyundai Ioniq 5 - looks like a 1980s future car. is this good or bad? personal preference. the tech is good
Kia EV6 - same underpinnings as above, different interior and exterior.
Volkswagen ID.4 - the most like a normal car. Some software issues and weird buttons, make sure you can deal with that before you buy.
Ford Mustang Mach E - fairly normal car experience
Nissan LEAF - they're not well loved but as a cheaper commuter car they work well. New ones have nicer interiors, better range, and more features.
Chevrolet Bolt EUV - you could get one at the cheaper end of your budget with a lot of content including GM's Supercruise. Slow charging sucks, though.

Appreciate the feedback here. I think I have to talk more with the wife and figure out what we want. She's now saying she wants the new car and I'd get the Telluride. I'm not sure she's ready for an all electric car, she wants an SUV, but doesn't want to break the bank, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

lmao got to see the “frame work” today and holy poo poo lmao. they poopy welded a bunch of L strips onto poo poo and it was all i could do to not laugh as soon as they put it up on the lift. anyways they gave our deposit back without a fuss and i guess i got 5 more to look at this weekend.

lmao this weld tho

Post The Weld.