Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Zedd posted:

Also apparently, allegedly it was supposed to be the start of a Dukat-Kira Romance thing. Nana Visitor refused the gently caress out of it and this is what we got instead.

I thought the Dukat/Kira romance idea was around Season 4, when they were off having adventures together and Dukat stole a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Taear posted:

People have complained about it before but "Wrongs Darker Than Death Or Night" is a really perfect example of the writers of DS9 just coming up with a concept for an episode and COMPLETELY ignoring what it means for any past episodes.
Yea it's pretty funny that Dukat, who is missing, calls up Kira in the middle of the night to say "Lol I shagged your mum" and he sorta explains why he's never said this before. But I don't think the explanation he does works at all. He was potentially with her for SEVEN YEARS and he never mentioned it? That just seems loving bananas to me.
But all the writers were happy with it because as a standalone episode it works okay.
And to just end with "and she died in a cardassian hospital 7 years later". Of what? She'd be like 30!

At least it's followed by In the Pale Moonlight
See to me, it’s 100% in character for Dukat to do something like that

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zaroff posted:

I thought the Dukat/Kira romance idea was around Season 4, when they were off having adventures together and Dukat stole a Klingon Bird of Prey.
Could be, maybe some scraps of that ended up as that episode.
Dukat calling her in the middle of the night to say he banged her mom is probably romantic to him.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also this in general.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's in character for him to say he shagged her mum, but a seven year thing? That just seems so much to hide until then, you know? There's been loads of moments he would have wanted to say about it and really really gently caress her off

Zedd posted:

Also apparently, allegedly it was supposed to be the start of a Dukat-Kira Romance thing. Nana Visitor refused the gently caress out of it and this is what we got instead.

In the documentary Behr says he doesn't remember that all, but Visitor seems convinced it was on the cards.
But like Zaroff says it was raised earlier and it seems like it'd make more sense earlier (I mean it's still bad but more sense than in series 6).

This episode would have fit better in like...series 3 maybe

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Taear posted:

And to just end with "and she died in a cardassian hospital 7 years later". Of what? She'd be like 30!

I mean, oppression and colonization tend to affect health and health care significantly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

I mean, oppression and colonization tend to affect health and health care significantly.

did you even watch the episode before posting that
she's now a collaborator with all the food and poo poo she could want, so if ANYONE should be randomly dying it's not her

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Collaborators randomly die all the time, falling out of windows, hanging themselves, setting themselves on fire, falling on knives and bullets, etc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

exploding alot too, these things just happen

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Taear posted:

did you even watch the episode before posting that
she's now a collaborator with all the food and poo poo she could want, so if ANYONE should be randomly dying it's not her

Yeah, I've watched the episode. Collaborators are still less-than and other-than. They don't get top-quality food and care. They get better than their compatriots, but they're replaceable and the quality they do get reflects that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Collaborators randomly die all the time, falling out of windows, hanging themselves, setting themselves on fire, falling on knives and bullets, etc

ye but that's not how she died

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I've watched the episode. Collaborators are still less-than and other-than. They don't get top-quality food and care. They get better than their compatriots, but they're replaceable and the quality they do get reflects that.

They specifically say she's getting the best (because of who she is with)
What I'm saying is I want a bit more, it seems very "We're not sure what to do with the idea of her being alive so uh, she just died"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe she literally died on the way back to her home planet

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Thine Own Self is another one of those ones where the A/B plots couldn't be more separated, but in this case, both sides of the story were compelling enough. Data's sad little memory loss adventure on the pre-industrial planet, him unknowingly going about irradiating everybody, before saving the day with science, liked it a lot. Data taken seriously is usually far more interesting than Data the funny-ha-ha android chum who dresses up like Sherlock and won't ever end sentences unless he's told to stop. Meanwhile, Troi's attempt to become a commander is also nice, though I do question her managing to get it all done within the time frame of the episode, it's a bit hasty and weird. But we do get that Kobayashi Maru-esque scene where she works out that she has to order holo-Geordi to his death, which is HARDCORE. I thought it was fine overall, especially for something where the two story strands are THAT disconnected.

Masks. Am I being dumb or was that just a load of gibberish? Some wild ideas, the ship transformation thing is creepy in theory. In execution, a bit rubbish. All I was really thinking for much of it was "God, I'm sick and tired of hearing Spiner doing that nasally voice." Just... Uh. Yeah, at a loss. Bad, I guess? And for all the weirdness, quite boring too?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Masks is an episode of television.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't mind Masks, it's TOS as gently caress. I wouldn't say it's a great episode, but I don't think of it as a series low point like most seem to.

I think I'm the only one that feels that way though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Masks is fine and it allows Spiner to do more than just be Data.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Which would be great if there weren't many, many episodes where he gets to do that.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I like Masks, but I can definitely see why people hate it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nah, I agree - I like Masks for the sheer weird ballsiness of demonstrating how weird and alien other cultures, even spacefaring technological cultures, might be. Is it as good an example of that as, say, Darmok? Hell no, but what is?

As a technical achievement in terms of writing, acting, etc it's kinda meh. But they were out of their comfort zone and I'm willing to cut them a lot of slack for it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Enterprise-D stopped encountering outside-context problems in like season 3 so it's nice they did one more with Masks even if it is kinda stupid

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I like Masks because it's a story where Picard's nerdy archaeology background saves the day, and not in a dumb way like in Gambit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Masks” is missing an end reveal. I think it gets bogged down with theatrics in the build up and runs out of time to tie it together. It succeeds in being cosmic and weird but not in coming down to earth. Like, Picard figured out they were reenacting the story of a myth, okay. cool. So…why did the alien space station do that? It feels like a more aggressive version of the probe from “Inner Light”, but with those guys, you end up with a strong sense of why they would create a probe that would mind gently caress you. This thing opens a dimensional portal to myth, okay, but what for? It ends up just being a “huh, glad we got the gods out of Data” rather than telling us anything about the guys the episode was about.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

skasion posted:

“Masks” is missing an end reveal. I think it gets bogged down with theatrics in the build up and runs out of time to tie it together. It succeeds in being cosmic and weird but not in coming down to earth. Like, Picard figured out they were reenacting the story of a myth, okay. cool. So…why did the alien space station do that? It feels like a more aggressive version of the probe from “Inner Light”, but with those guys, you end up with a strong sense of why they would create a probe that would mind gently caress you. This thing opens a dimensional portal to myth, okay, but what for? It ends up just being a “huh, glad we got the gods out of Data” rather than telling us anything about the guys the episode was about.

Wasn't it because the Enterprise was poking at it?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I've been making my way through Voyager, I'm halfway through the second season, and it's time.

Time to watch Threshold.

e: HIS TONGUE :gonk:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 17, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Wasn't it because the Enterprise was poking at it?

Sure, that’s the immediate cause, but why is this even an outcome in the first place? What possible purpose could it serve to respond to a sensor scan with a full-contact sun-moon myth? There’s a strong disjoint between the primal, symbolic elements that the alien station creates and the immense technological power implicit in the existence of the station itself. Which I think is cool and only adds to the mystery, and the characters even mention this in the episode, but then they never figure it out!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

skasion posted:

Sure, that’s the immediate cause, but why is this even an outcome in the first place? What possible purpose could it serve to respond to a sensor scan with a full-contact sun-moon myth? There’s a strong disjoint between the primal, symbolic elements that the alien station creates and the immense technological power implicit in the existence of the station itself. Which I think is cool and only adds to the mystery, and the characters even mention this in the episode, but then they never figure it out!

Some mysteries just don't get solved, or don't get solved on the spot by the first people to encounter it. Maybe the Federation's Fast Response Anthropology Team aboard the USS Margaret Mead mobilized within hours of Picard sending in his report, maybe somebody analyzed the logs and wrote their Ph.D thesis on it fifteen years later, who knows?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Okay, so having finally seen Threshold: it's not as good as Sub Rosa.

Sub Rosa starts with a funeral at a spooky Scottish graveyard, it's very clear what kind of episode it's going to be from the beginning. The fun thing there is just how crazy it goes beyond that. Threshold, in contrast, has a very unassuming start with a bunch of technobabble. The central idea of the first act, achieving Warp 10 as some kind of apotheosis through technology, is actually kinda cool and could be part of a much better episode. Not just a physical but a mystical threshold, crossing a barrier into a new kind of existence. I get the appeal for Braga in writing this; it's all very Star Trek, being so advanced that you physically become something else. And I equally get the appeal of doing an ironic twist, where instead of this path ending as your typical Trek enlightened energy being, it actually results in turning into something gross and primitive. It just...didn't work out that way.

Then Tom Paris gets a bunch of scabs and barfs out his tongue, and those makeup effects definitely earned their Emmy. The episode just kind of takes off from there, making up for a relatively sedate first act by getting all its crazy out there as fast as possible. The reveal of Janeway and Paris in full salamander form with their babies is genuinely funny and just the perfect capper to the whole insane journey. The characters (and I imagine, the actors) all have this attitude of "Let's never talk about any of this again."

And then we get a denouement where Paris is trying to learn some kind of character lesson, and what the hell is this? Don't be trying to make any kind of serious point out of all of this, we crossed that line a long time ago. You just left a planet of evolved human salamander babies in the Delta Quadrant! This is not the time or place to pretend that this was an episode about character development or indeed, any real point.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Meld is as good as Threshold is bad. Brad Dourif and Tim Russ both absolutely kill it (uh, so to speak).

What are some other really big jumps in quality (in either direction) between consecutive episodes? Sub Rosa -> Lower Decks was talked about earlier, and DS9 has Meridian -> Defiant.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

skasion posted:

But it gave us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upSm_V2OxUc

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thine Own Self and Masks are a great pairing - one episode features Data at his most Data-esque, and the other is the Brent Spiner Overacting Power Hour.

Also, those scenes where the villagers are unknowingly handling radioactive material always send chills up my spine.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think threshold could be made into a serviceable episode if instead of the nonsensical warp 10 stuff they just made it the transwarp threshold (a phrase they actually say later in the series) and leaned into the body horror even more while ditching the references to evolution and just making it a mutation from whatever Tom got exposed to. Even just changing the dialog would have made it less ridiculous.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Watching TNG from the start to introduce it to a friend. Man, season one is rough. There's some fun idiosyncracies, like Picard being an rear end in a top hat and Riker being cocky, but the line delivery...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Meld is as good as Threshold is bad. Brad Dourif and Tim Russ both absolutely kill it (uh, so to speak).

What are some other really big jumps in quality (in either direction) between consecutive episodes? Sub Rosa -> Lower Decks was talked about earlier, and DS9 has Meridian -> Defiant.

Trials and Tribble-ations -> Let He Who Is Without Sin.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Aquiel -> Face of the Enemy -> Tapestry has a rather significant ramp in quality over three episodes.

I remain harsher on Voyager than many here, but I did like "Blink of an Eye" quite a lot, and other episodes. But coming right after "Fair Haven"just highlights the drastic unevenness of the series.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can't remember if it was this thread or the modern thread discussing this, but planetary shields are definitely a thing in the TOS era. They're not indestructible, but often what it would take to get through them would result in the people behind them being destroyed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cenotaph posted:

I think threshold could be made into a serviceable episode if instead of the nonsensical warp 10 stuff they just made it the transwarp threshold (a phrase they actually say later in the series) and leaned into the body horror even more while ditching the references to evolution and just making it a mutation from whatever Tom got exposed to. Even just changing the dialog would have made it less ridiculous.

Yeah, just do a find-replace on "evolution" to something like "accelerating mutation" and it gets like 90% less absurd right there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Mark of Gideon is one of the more absurd episodes of TOS. I cannot believe the resolution of the episode was "Kirk aids in a genocide" but like a full quarter of episodes end that way so it's not too strange, but what it's especially weird for is that the Gideons asked for the genocide and refuse to do accept any other solution to the problem, such as sending chunks of their population to other planets.

Truly bizarre and doesn't make any sense in the Star Trek universe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Mark of Gideon is one of the more absurd episodes of TOS. I cannot believe the resolution of the episode was "Kirk aids in a genocide" but like a full quarter of episodes end that way so it's not too strange, but what it's especially weird for is that the Gideons asked for the genocide and refuse to do accept any other solution to the problem, such as sending chunks of their population to other planets.

Is that the one where say 'we'd rather genocide than have to wear a condom'.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MikeJF posted:

Is that the one where say 'we'd rather genocide than have to wear a condom'.

Yes. And they do (the genocide).

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It feels like they had an idea for an episode about Kirk being trapped on a deserted Enterprise, and they had an idea for an episode about an overpopulated planet, and they sort of awkwardly tied them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's funny reading about the episode "my way" and how mad Ira was that the fans didn't like it
I don't give a poo poo about 1960s las vegas, why do you think the people watching this show care about that? He seems to think that people were mad specifically because the episode was romantic but man I've no issue with that I just don't wanna sit and listen to someone sing an entire frank sinatra song thanks