Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hate gap closers doing damage. If something has utility and damage you can never use it for the utility part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, having to use them on cooldown is... bad

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a 3rd onslaught charge sounded fairly insignificant at first and now im like where the gently caress is my 3rd gap closer when im synced down or on another class

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I really hate gap closers doing damage. If something has utility and damage you can never use it for the utility part.

I like to try and time out SMN's gap closer so it's being used for utility AND damage

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Waffleman_ posted:

I weave my gap closers between the first two parts of my cartridge combo during my burst rotations

I use it for the first time in my opener after sonic break and the next one can fit in anywhere before the end of no mercy. After that for each of the burst windows, it's open immediately after gnashing fang for the first and the second charge will come right after sonic break again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like to try and time out SMN's gap closer so it's being used for utility AND damage

Honestly I like summoner's for that reason. It is only up for a short period of time where you define when that time period is so you can work it into a time when having a gap closer is useful instead of having to smash it on cooldown.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Primal

vs

Aether

Yo. This loving sucks.

YoshiP should restrict data center travelers from even viewing another data center's party finder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Primal

vs

Aether

Yo. This loving sucks.

YoshiP should restrict data center travelers from even viewing another data center's party finder.

Why? There's literally no harm in it and it allows people more opportunities at the horrible cost of 'maybe can't use your linkshell until you go back to your main data center.'

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

Why? There's literally no harm in it and it allows people more opportunities at the horrible cost of 'maybe can't use your linkshell until you go back to your main data center.'

Plus those numbers look comparable to what Aether was like pre-DC travel, so...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the amount of boost to the high-end duty section in particular is ludicrous.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Electric Phantasm posted:

One of the funniest things this expansion for me has been Summoners using their gap closers at the wrong time because they just have it baked into their muscle memory, but using it at the exact wrong time during a fight because they were still learning the fight/autopiloting. "I need to stand here for the next 5 seconds oh poo poo oh gently caress"

Kyrosiris posted:

Plus those numbers look comparable to what Aether was like pre-DC travel, so...
As someone that PFd Extremes and Savages the last few years on both Primal and Aether, this is not true in my experience. From Eden 5 to Panda 7 (when I stopped doing hard content), Primal had plenty of groups in High-end Duty and I had no problems getting groups there. I'd say Primal had at least 80-90% of the number of parties Aether had at the time. I know P8S was particularly hard but I don't know if that was the genesis of "Everyone DC travel to Aether for hard content" that became incredibly prominent for 6.4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Think about it this way: sure, if you're progging Savage or an Ultimate every week with pubs you're probably switching data centers. But for Extremes? You're just making it that much harder for people who aren't informed or dedicated enough to do that to clear the fights at all. You're effectively siphoning like 90% of the people who are actually trying out of the talent pool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Think about it this way: sure, if you're progging Savage or an Ultimate every week with pubs you're probably switching data centers. But for Extremes? You're just making it that much harder for people who aren't informed or dedicated enough to do that to clear the fights at all. You're effectively siphoning like 90% of the people who are actually trying out of the talent pool.

But prior to data center travel you just had people going to the 'hardcore' one. Like this used to be an ongoing joke about how nobody who wanted to do well waa on Crystal or whatever

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

it's one thing for them to do damage, what i can't figure out is how dancer is supposed to use theirs in their pvp set, where dashing changes your basic attacks out for ones that do more damage...but you have to keep dashing to get them all? I'm not sure and it's extremely poorly-written in the action list

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ImpAtom posted:

But prior to data center travel you just had people going to the 'hardcore' one. Like this used to be an ongoing joke about how nobody who wanted to do well waa on Crystal or whatever

But before data center travel there were at least people trying on Crystal. You weren't gonna see Crystal pull out a world-first Savage clear, but if you were looking for teams you could find them, if for no other reason than because they had nowhere else to go. You... kinda can't, anymore.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 17, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Love that one of the Amal’jaa quests is waiting 15-30 minutes for one specific FATE while every other FATE in the zone pops at least once

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Wait 3 hours for Storm's Crown to pop.
Healer times out.
Pops again immediately.
Healer times out.
Never pops again.
OCEANIA!

This DC is so loving dead.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Love that one of the Amal’jaa quests is waiting 15-30 minutes for one specific FATE while every other FATE in the zone pops at least once

That’s also one of the Sylph quests.

ARR was a mistake.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think all the ARR tribals have at least one "do this FATE and turn in the thing that drops" quest, which thankfully you can pre-farm if the FATE happens to be up even when you don't have the associated quest. The Amalj'aa one def feels like it shows up the least often, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah all of them have that but for some reason I feel that the Amal'jaa one is the one that's the rarest to pop. That may just be anecdotal experience but I saw literally every other FATE in the zone appear before this one.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It's a huge inconvenience to have to dc travel just to pf stuff and it's just painful to see pf be mostly ads on primal. I don't see anything worth defending about it because most of the parties you'll join on aether now will just be mostly full of primal players and it really changed nothing at all besides it being a pain in the rear end now

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The entire concept of logical data centers is incredibly outdated and cross-data center play should be their #1 priority.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'll take chat bubbles first honestly

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't really like the "entire Savage/Ult PF raiding scene congregating in a single DC" but it was a natural consequence of allowing DC travel. Eventually it becomes much easier to just have one unified PF instead of several disparate ones, and makes waiting times for especially savage/ult much quicker than necessary (although I agree that it is annoying for extremes, which are in a bit of a limbo, although at least in EU, Chaos Extremes are still relatively active). I've seen a lot of positives from DC travel, though, and I've managed to meet and befriend a lot of people in Light thanks to it, as well as broaden recruiting for statics (both when I needed new people for my static, or when I was looking for a static myself), so overall it's a net positive for me.

Limiting PF to people on that DC would also be a really poo poo solution, and would mean that many of the activities that I enjoy doing since the inception of DC travel would not possible anymore. I've had many situations where a friend in Light were looking for people, and being able to access their PF group means that I can help them with content, which wouldn't be possible if such restrictions were in place.

In the end, the net positives of DC travel (much broader community, meeting new people you couldn't have met before, much bigger PF/static recruitment pool) far outweigh the negatives (forcing people to DC travel for some of the content available in the game).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I disagree, the dc travel system is cumbersome and sometimes overly time consuming. I think the flaws inherent in dc travel outweigh any benefits.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I just hope they have a cross-DC regional PF in the works. I'm one of the suburbanites on Dynamis so I tend to have to plan my sessions between "need to be on Aether for PF" or "just want to garden and chill with my FC".

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

My big experience with the raiding part of this is that I just don't see my friends doing content as much anymore without a full premade party because the inconvenience is big enough. It all needs to be better in lots of ways, but I think it would be something that would be nice to address if they don't have any plans soon for making cross DC stuff work better. It's already not going to be very possible to do when the expansion comes out due to congestion, which will also make it suck again more when people start funneling back first chance they get.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I disagree, the dc travel system is cumbersome and sometimes overly time consuming. I think the flaws inherent in dc travel outweigh any benefits.
I disagree. I regularly DC travel and I find it extremely hard to believe that waiting a few minutes (in most situations) outweighs the benefits of being able to interact with a much larger portion of the playerbase without having to create a whole new alt to do it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Maybe it's completely different in the NA DC's but my own experience in EU is that it takes sub-1 minute to DC travel when there isn't congestion (during patch releases etc) and I regularly switch DCs 3-4 times a day. I agree that it would be better to have a consolidated PF/DF across all DCs in a single region, but it is still preferable to be able to DC travel considering how many more people you can meet by doing it.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 17, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

hexwren posted:

it's one thing for them to do damage, what i can't figure out is how dancer is supposed to use theirs in their pvp set, where dashing changes your basic attacks out for ones that do more damage...but you have to keep dashing to get them all? I'm not sure and it's extremely poorly-written in the action list

One dash is one +1-2k potency attack substituted into your 1-2 filler combo. It doesn't matter which ones you replace, it just matters that you throw two of them.

Dash and then attack within 5-10 seconds(whenever the button change would fade) to get a blade charge. Do twice and you can use Saber Dance within 15 seconds, don't get ranged.

PvP DNC has excellent flavor but might actually be the least mobile mobility class. You have four charges and get one back every ten seconds but to do real damage you want to dash, attack, dash, attack constantly. SD is great damage on singles or aoe and provides uptime for +damage to you and your partner so if you're being aggressive you want to spend those dashes as fast as you can but then you can't reliably escape and you're the only ranged poke in the game that's one of the easiest to pick and kill for overextending. At least doing two SDs will eat up most of ten seconds for a gracious single charge of dash.

It's a mess and a bit of a challenge mode option even when you understand everything. They're significantly better in CC and with any team coordination but otherwise they get out supported by BRD/any Healer, out damaged by most, out moved by most, out ulted by RPR(usually), out survived/flexed by RDM, and out ranged by even some melee classes.

Still chasing my FL DNC unicorn match. :shobon:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 17, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ImpAtom posted:

it loving sucks. cant talk to linkshells or fc, cant use retainers, no fc buffs. plus its just annoying having to switch over any time you want to do something in pf.

our party finder used to be perfectly fine. now its dead as gently caress. its not a positive situation.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tekopo posted:

Maybe it's completely different in the NA DC's but my own experience in EU is that it takes sub-1 minute to DC travel when there isn't congestion (during patch releases etc) and I regularly switch DCs 3-4 times a day. I agree that it would be better to have a consolidated PF/DF across all DCs in a single region, but it is still preferable to be able to DC travel considering how many more people you can meet by doing it.

Nah, that aligns with my experience on NA as well. I dunno if there's a priority system for people coming home from a different DC or something (as I'm an Aether native) but I've never had a travel time over a minute, even at the height of prime time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dryzen posted:

It's a huge inconvenience to have to dc travel just to pf stuff and it's just painful to see pf be mostly ads on primal. I don't see anything worth defending about it because most of the parties you'll join on aether now will just be mostly full of primal players and it really changed nothing at all besides it being a pain in the rear end now

As someone on cactuar my pf groups aren't Even half primal let alone mostly.

If there wasn't a larger aether based player pool for harder content there wouldn't have been an initial move for high end players to use the travel feature to find more parties.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ultimate PF in EU has been a lot better thanks to DC travel: it was decent before in Chaos, but the combined PF is a lot better. As well as that, the prior conundrum of having to choose between the more active raiding DC or the one where your friends play isn't as big a problem anymore (although at least for the EU DCs I never felt this was as much as a problem). And even if you aren't raiding, being able to visit other DCs is cool in terms of roleplaying possibilities. All this without having to have another alt or having to skip/grind the story again just to get up to speed on another DC.

Like don't get me wrong, there are some annoyances (like linkshells, retainers, sanctuary etc), but to say that there isn't anything worth defending about DC travel is weird, considering there are so many benefits.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Which DC is the raiding one in EU? Cause I'm kinda wondering if my bad luck finding new EX practices is my DC or just bad timing/hours.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Which DC is the raiding one in EU? Cause I'm kinda wondering if my bad luck finding new EX practices is my DC or just bad timing/hours.
Light is the raiding DC. For Extremes, Chaos still has a relatively healthy raiding scene, and I don't usually bother to go over to Light most of the time, but Light EX PF tends to be a little more active. Chaos Savage and especially Ultimates are dead, though. My suggestion for EX is to check out the Chaos PF and if there isn't anything that matches, go over to Light and have a look there.

EDIT: Also, on patch week I couldn't really see much difference between Chaos PF and Light PF in terms of extremes, either. Extreme PF tends to have a longer tail than most other content but it does eventually taper out.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 17, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Tekopo posted:

Light is the raiding DC. For Extremes, Chaos still has a relatively healthy raiding scene, and I don't usually bother to go over to Light most of the time, but Light EX PF tends to be a little more active. Chaos Savage and especially Ultimates are dead, though. My suggestion for EX is to check out the Chaos PF and if there isn't anything that matches, go over to Light and have a look there.

EDIT: Also, on patch week I couldn't really see much difference between Chaos PF and Light PF in terms of extremes, either. Extreme PF tends to have a longer tail than most other content but it does eventually taper out.

Okay thanks! Sadly I've been real busy lately, I could mostly do patch stuff that week and squeeze some time for Thaleia/Margrat so I haven't checked much.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I’m fine with DRG’s now that you can hold two stocks of it, you only need to use one stock to get the cooldown timer going while the other you can hold onto for when you need it without it being a DPS loss

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's pretty easy to just use them on CD unless you know a mechanic is coming up that will require you to gap close IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cleretic posted:

But before data center travel there were at least people trying on Crystal. You weren't gonna see Crystal pull out a world-first Savage clear, but if you were looking for teams you could find them, if for no other reason than because they had nowhere else to go. You... kinda can't, anymore.

This complaint has the same vibe as when people complain about how a town is dying because all the young people moved away. All of those people who were "trying" before are now getting their groups and clears, they're just on a different DC. Every individual person who used to raid on Crystal and now raids elsewhere is better off. DCs don't have feelings, you dont have to be sad for them.