Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Triarii posted:

Rise actually added a switch skill that gives you a damage boost when you SAED out of a guard point. SAEDs are in general harder to land in Rise though because the game is so much faster.

There was also a problem at Rise launch with SAED explosions going too much in a flat plane below the mon so you lost a lot of damage. Whereas AED explosions are all at point of contact and never miss, it was like a buggy callback to GU CB.

They fixed that (much?) later though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

The first time I played 4u, I played CB like a meatier sns with a Handy Block, and only looped wide slash-up slash axe on downed mons.

I love in world cb, that's now a legit way to play with charging your sword.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

felgs posted:

The first time I played 4u, I played CB like a meatier sns with a Handy Block, and only looped wide slash-up slash axe on downed mons.

yeah this is also extremely legit

even as late as world i found this to be a good strategy when you're new to a monster or just if you need to play defensively - the sword still deals decent damage and having the option to bring out the axe for big openings is just icing on the cake

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah a big reason I like CB is that it kind of does everything. You can play more defensive and tanky by sticking in sword mode, but also be a real DPS monster in axe mode. You've got a strong block, but also a lot more mobility than the lances. You can KO monsters with impact phials, and reach high tails to cut with rising/overhead slash spam in axe mode. It even has a pretty good wakeup hit for sleeping monsters if you know how to position yourself to miss with the windup swing but hit with the main swing of a SAED. Many of those other weapons can do better, but there's not really anything else that can do all of it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I got my friend to buy MH World and I rolled a new character to play with him. Chose the Charge Blade and yeah, I'm loving it. It's pretty fun to use. I've gotten a good handle on how to build meter, buff myself, and spend phials on damage. I'm also amazing at being just 5 degrees off on an SAED. The only thing I can't remember to do is RT+Y/△ to guard attacks. I can't break my rolling habit. First sign of trouble, mash roll and pray.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished Iceborne again after losing my save from a while back.

Time to get my rear end kicked by the endgame content.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

An important question from tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/rocketbirdie/731193247758680064/choose-your-fighter

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

A would be much more reasonable to fight, which is not the Piscine Wyvern way. Therefore it'd have to be B

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

A has the potential to have the worst hitboxes known to man.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 16, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I pick B because he could try to pancake you like the whomps from mario

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Neo_Crimson posted:

A has the potential to have the worst hitboxes known to man.

Yes, but B will hipcheck you from several miles away despite being flat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

From a biology perspective, A would be more likely cuz that's what flatfish actually do. They sit on the bottom, both eyes up like that. When they move they flap like little hosed up sideways dolphins.

B would be funnier though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It would switch between the two

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
It's a new Switch Axe, showing both Axe mode and Sword mode.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

A for when you encounter it. B for when it's enraged.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

A is the small monster version and you can stand on top of it to ride it around or do jump attacks off of it. B is the drome and it's 3 times as big and fights you like it's a giant fly swatter.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Alternate option, one leg from A, one leg from B, and a horrifying hopping monstrosity.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Edit: Realized I hosed that up right away. Fixed!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 17, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I just noticed that Monster Hunter World has some weird Japanese news about maintenance on steam: anyone know what that's about, if anything?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Someone translated it in the comments. Just server maintenance that affects the availability of some things for a short period, apparently.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

They should bring back Gobul.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Re: guard point chat.

No you don’t need to GP to have a blast with the charge blade. But stunning a charging diablos with the GP on its head, followed by an immediate SAED is one of the purest moments of gaming nirvana I’ve ever had (in world, there’s a lot of easy shield SAED setups in Rise). It really felt like I had turned the game in DMC for a second.

If you’re still playing this game in 2023, might as well shoot for the stars!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuebot posted:

I just noticed that Monster Hunter World has some weird Japanese news about maintenance on steam: anyone know what that's about, if anything?

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1714074765751992798

It’s now Verified for deck meaning they problably fixed whatever text input jankiness there was (since it’s almost always what stops a bunch of old games from being Verified)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

They should bring back Gobul.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Monster Hunter Now is making me go outside so much more often that after years of living here I'm only now becoming acutely aware of all the inclines and poo poo in the extended neighborhood, because I'm clearly not in shape to be bicycling up these very mild slopes.

I should move to the Netherlands.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/FCRO5MP.mp4

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Good ol bombs

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lmao that is Art.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Missed this, but he would have the worst hipboxes known to games

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Capcom hire this man

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That thing has four limbs and two wings/fins so technically it’s following the Elder Dragon template.

Elder Armfish.

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Masks that let cha-cha/kayamba throw bombs forever proving themselves to be a challenge mode combo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bring back Nibelsnarf

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Starting MH Rise after having not played for a few years since World. Anything I should be mindful of and does anyone have some words to say about switch axe?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kild posted:

and does anyone have some words to say about switch axe?

Don't use it, it's too good and you won't want to use other weapons

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Triarii posted:

Don't use it, it's too good and you won't want to use other weapons

This is true.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Starting MH Rise after having not played for a few years since World. Anything I should be mindful of and does anyone have some words to say about switch axe?

I suspect after a few years of downtime you're probably going to be mostly re-learning from scratch anyway, but coming from World the big thing to be aware of in Rise is the faster pace of the combat in general. The base dodge distance is a lot farther, you have a ton of mobility from wirebugs and lots of new weapon-specific abilities, and multi-attack combos are a lot more common on monsters. You're expected to use your wirebug abilities a lot, you don't want to sit on the cooldowns "just in case".

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kild posted:

rapid morph 3

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kild posted:

Sunbreak Swaxe is the best the weapon has ever been, get gud with the Elemental Burst Counter.

Kaubocks posted:

rapid morph 3

This too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The worst part of being an IG main is that the weapon was at its peak in 4U and everything since has been kinda meh. They keep not giving it anything exciting or new and loving with Kinsects to constantly make them slower for no real reason.