Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grassy Knowles posted:

So evil you can taste it

Wait, is that what this INXS song was about? :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8HFB2q7xU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean Haiti was occupied by America for like 20 years but I wouldn't call it part of it.

Haiti is in America.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I opened the window and in-flew-enza!

Thanks late MIL for saying this whenever possible.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When people with allergies talk about issues with pollen they generally mean tree pollen, and not wildflowers or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's

quote:

Now one night she had a date
With a wrestling heavyweight
And he tried a brand new hold
She did not appreciate

Not "And he tried a brand new hole".

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dip Viscous posted:

When people with allergies talk about issues with pollen they generally mean tree pollen, and not wildflowers or something.

Not really. According to my many allergists, predominant pollens are basically seasonal. Spring is trees, Summer is grass, Fall is weeds.

Unless you only hear complaints in spring then people are affected by the other types of pollen too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would guess tree pollen tends to be what gets blown around most due to the height. But sticking your nose in a bouquet might not be such a great idea either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slapaphone is not pronounced like Persefone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dip Viscous posted:

Conifers are loving stupid.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Dip Viscous posted:

doctor: well that’s interesting. your reason is just “sneezing? because of “tree” pollen this frightful season? No wildflour’s inflect the seizing. your diaphragm rejects this treason!

(35 years later)

Ma’am: excuse me sorry, this tree pollen sets me off

You: sets me off too ma’am

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Oct 16, 2023

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Slapaphone is not pronounced like Persefone.
Antelope is not pronounced like Penelope.

edit: but can you imagine if it was...? or visa versa...?

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Oct 16, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cable Guy posted:

Antelope is not pronounced like Penelope.

edit: but can you imagine if it was...? or visa versa...?

My first serious girlfriend was called Penelope, and I can confirm I occasionally pronounced it to rhyme with Antelope.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Torquemada posted:

My first serious girlfriend was called Penelope, and I can confirm I occasionally pronounced it to rhyme with Antelope.

Did it make her utterly, insanely furious? Or would that be engaging in hyperbowl.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Torquemada posted:

Epiphone is pronounced "epiphany".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I thought that too but nah it's Greek

quote:

Epaminondas Stathopoulos named the company "Epiphone" as a combination of his own nickname "Epi" and the suffix "-phone" (from Greek phon-, "voice")

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
No one's ever been able to tell me how to pronounce Colm Ó Cíosóig's surname.

I've just realised it's the original spelling of Cusack.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Captain Splendid posted:

No one's ever been able to tell me how to pronounce Colm Ó Cíosóig's surname.

I've just realised it's the original spelling of Cusack.

While true, it's very much not helpful with regard to how to pronounce it, as the two names are very different.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm in absolutely no way fluent, but I think it's like "O Keysowig" or maybe "O Keyshowig"?

Neither of which sound obviously like "Cusack" but I can absolutely hear how the Irish language name got simplified into the anglicised version.
Keysowig become keyhsawik becomes kewsack as a lot of the sounds get blurred together.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Oct 17, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
When you change your forums username, quoted posts with your old username don't get highlighted, denying you (me) that little rush of endorphins when you (I) see a purple block on a page. I'm sure the reason is just "Radium" (said with a heavy sigh) and I'm willing to accept that (probably something to do with the user names not matching, even though the user id is the same).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Oct 20, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fifty Farts posted:

When you change your forums username, quoted posts with your old username don't get highlighted, denying you (me) that little rush of endorphins when you (I) see a purple block on a page. I'm sure the reason is just "Radium" (said with a heavy sigh) and I'm willing to accept that (probably something to do with the user names not matching, even though the user id is the same).

Have a free fix on me

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
50 farts is right it sucks when you dont get a dopamine hit from internet strangers saying your name, that was kind of you Incel town.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Inceltown posted:

Have a free fix on me

There we go. Thank you, friend. Right back at ya.

Grassy Knowles posted:

50 farts is right it sucks when you dont get a dopamine hit from internet strangers saying your name, that was kind of you Incel town.

And one for you as well. :)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fifty Farts posted:

The Android app lets you enter an alternate username to use for these highlights, in case you want to enjoy your older posts or steal some endorphins from someone who's funny enough to get quoted more

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grassy Knolls posted:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fifty Farts? Wasn't that the shadowy organisation pulling the strings in Hotline Miami?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hyperlynx posted:

Fifty Farts? Wasn't that the shadowy organisation pulling the strings in Hotline Miami?

This really recontextualizes the end of that series

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grassy Knowles posted:

Jokes on you, I've set up SALR to highlight the word incel.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Inceltown posted:

Yes, I see how that makes ME of the two of us look a fool

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Inceltown posted:

Smart move, that way it'll be able to highlight your posts even if you change your name.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Android app lets you enter an alternate username to use for these highlights, in case you want to enjoy your older posts or steal some endorphins from someone who's funny enough to get quoted more
Wow, really? Mine (some recent beta) just shows toggles for my posts, posts where I'm quoted, posts where I'm mentioned, and the OP's posts. :saddumb:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

pillbugs are crustaceans, not insects

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lousy means something inflicted with lice (i.e. louses).

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In a lot of languages the word for "patron"/"sponsor" is just literally the variation of the name "Maecenas", the Roman guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The hitmon- family of pokémon are so named because they are

Mons

that fight by

brace yourselves everyone

Hitting

I am very smart

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The hitmon- family of pokémon are so named because they are

Mons

that fight by

brace yourselves everyone

Hitting

I am very smart

And the first two are named for Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

And hitmontop spins like a top!

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

And hitmontop spins like a top!

It also does capoeira! For some reason

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kantesu posted:

It also does capoeira! For some reason

Reason being it sucks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Capoeira has some spinning in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Splendid posted:

In a lot of languages the word for "patron"/"sponsor" is just literally the variation of the name "Maecenas", the Roman guy.

Hah, neat. So that's where danish mæcen comes from