Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ethanol posted:

I missed this post earlier but my question from weeks ago was answered:

I guess the answer was they'll just drive over their own mines

Hell those ones are just on the surface which makes this even sillier.

I'm sure some much smarter people here can correct me, but I remember reading that the prescribed method of pushing vehicles through a minefield is to remain in single file. That way, you're minimising the area you're interacting with and, while you might lose vehicles, you only lose the lead one each time. That every mine hit was met with everyone else leaving the file and trying to get around it stuck out to me. It's one of those counter intuitive things that you need to train people to do under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sure some much smarter people here can correct me, but I remember reading that the prescribed method of pushing vehicles through a minefield is to remain in single file. That way, you're minimising the area you're interacting with and, while you might lose vehicles, you only lose the lead one each time. That every mine hit was met with everyone else leaving the file and trying to get around it stuck out to me. It's one of those counter intuitive things that you need to train people to do under pressure.

Generally a breach of a minefield will be multiple, single file lanes. The biggest factor limiting a breach is the amount of clearance/engineer assets you commit to it. The rule of thumb for a breaching element is 50-80% casualties.

Also, LOADS of artillery/air support to suppress and provide smoke, massive overwatch of tanks for support by fire, and a follow on element to secure gains on the far side.

Edit: and if the vehicle ahead eats it, you need a vehicle behind it big enough to shove it out of the way.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ethanol posted:

I guess the answer was they'll just drive over their own mines

Those are not their own mines. They are Ukrainian.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dirt5o8 posted:

Generally a breach of a minefield will be multiple, single file lanes. The biggest factor limiting a breach is the amount of clearance/engineer assets you commit to it. The rule of thumb for a breaching element is 50-80% casualties.

Also, LOADS of artillery/air support to suppress and provide smoke, massive overwatch of tanks for support by fire, and a follow on element to secure gains on the far side.

Edit: and if the vehicle ahead eats it, you need a vehicle behind it big enough to shove it out of the way.

There you go. I wasn't a million miles away but thank you very much for that. I assume that breaking single file is still very much something you don't do?

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Snowman_McK posted:

There you go. I wasn't a million miles away but thank you very much for that. I assume that breaking single file is still very much something you don't do?

Well, sometimes you can't avoid it so you hit the gas and pray. If you can manage it, you at least try to have rollers on all the vehicles in the initial breach so they can survive at least one hit.

The enemy can also re-seed the minefield behind you with artillery laid mines also. So a back-up clearance unit is nice to have

Let me caveat by saying my experience is completely U.S.-focused and I've never done a real breach outside of training. I have done route clearance and dealt with IEDs/mines before though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A recent Perun video went into some depth on the issues with the Russian minefields blocking the southern offensive. A 'blocking' minefield as prescribed in both NATO and Soviet doctrine is X deep with Y density of mines.. A tank driving in a straight line through the field would drive over 6-7 mines on average, more than enough to force the enemy to use mine-clearing assets or go around. This is a sensible minefield, an efficient use of resources which preserves your supply of mines for later after the enemy inevitably forces its way through or simply goes around.

The Russian minefields used in the south are both much deeper and denser, with every variety of mine that's ever been invented packed in there just to make things miserable. Going in a straight line through the field involves driving over dozens of mines. In some cases, they've even double stacked anti-tank mines on top of one another to ensure that any mine roller is completely destroyed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A recent Perun video went into some depth on the issues with the Russian minefields blocking the southern offensive. A 'blocking' minefield as prescribed in both NATO and Soviet doctrine is X deep with Y density of mines.. A tank driving in a straight line through the field would drive over 6-7 mines on average, more than enough to force the enemy to use mine-clearing assets or go around. This is a sensible minefield, an efficient use of resources which preserves your supply of mines for later after the enemy inevitably forces its way through or simply goes around.

The Russian minefields used in the south are both much deeper and denser, with every variety of mine that's ever been invented packed in there just to make things miserable. Going in a straight line through the field involves driving over dozens of mines. In some cases, they've even double stacked anti-tank mines on top of one another to ensure that any mine roller is completely destroyed.

The descriptions of the southern minefields heavily* imply to me that Russia might have plans for an eternal DMZ situation.

*caveat as vast as the Siberian taiga: this assumes the government or military of Russia has put foresight into any part of this

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Rusi report tracking North Korean ammunition deliveries to Russia:
https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/report-orient-express-north-koreas-clandestine-supply-route-russia

I would assume that given the tracking of the ships involved military intelligence probably has a good upper/lower limit of how much ammunition has been shipped?

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a massive (like, multihundred ton) roller to breach minefields, like, at some point it can be big enough to just shrug off any mines that it rolls over.

Quick googling says no.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
There's always flail tanks, though those only get deployed when you can throw away the tanks but not the drivers

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm sure there's been a proposal written up somewhere for clearing minefields using nuclear weapons.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm sure there's been a proposal written up somewhere for clearing minefields using nuclear weapons.

A general rule of thumb is that for every thing that can be done, people in both the US and Soviet militaries proposed using nukes to do it more efficiently sometime between the 50's and 70's

Demolition and land-clearance (Which includes tunnel building) being the most obvious but also:

-Altering climates to make warm weather farming possible in arctic circle cities
-Detonating several nukes on the moon just because gently caress You that's why
-Spacecraft propulsion
-Weaponized tidal waves, no one can trace it back to us just trust me bro

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tehdas posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to make a massive (like, multihundred ton) roller to breach minefields, like, at some point it can be big enough to just shrug off any mines that it rolls over.

Quick googling says no.

Tsar tank would suffice.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
tbf spacecraft propulsion genuinely isn't a terrible idea.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wouldn't a Daisy Cutter create a large enough explosion to detonate mines without having to go nuclear?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

A general rule of thumb is that for every thing that can be done, people in both the US and Soviet militaries proposed using nukes to do it more efficiently sometime between the 50's and 70's

Demolition and land-clearance (Which includes tunnel building) being the most obvious but also:

-Altering climates to make warm weather farming possible in arctic circle cities
-Detonating several nukes on the moon just because gently caress You that's why
-Spacecraft propulsion
-Weaponized tidal waves, no one can trace it back to us just trust me bro

Let's not forget, propulsion for cruise missiles. The new Russian missile isn't the first time they've tried it. The US had a program for it too in the 60s. Basically it allowed you to fire a cruise missile with unlimited range that could fly fast as all hell and low enough to avoid radar detection.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Charliegrs posted:

Let's not forget, propulsion for cruise missiles. The new Russian missile isn't the first time they've tried it. The US had a program for it too in the 60s. Basically it allowed you to fire a cruise missile with unlimited range that could fly fast as all hell and low enough to avoid radar detection.

didn't that one have radioactive material in the exhaust so fallout would rain down from its flight path?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

didn't that one have radioactive material in the exhaust so fallout would rain down from its flight path?

Yup. Once the missile delivered its payload (the delivery vehicle would stay intact) it would just continuously fly over the enemy territory spewing radiation.

I think Tom Scott did a video about the nuclear engine that was prototyped and built.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing this recent Russian one being announced and thinking "wait, isn't this just project Pluto?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Russians claiming an airfield was ATACMd

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1714165868316299322?t=fLuRVkpSALh5lrEe9qwRtg&s=19

Source is Fighterbomber tg channel so far

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Herstory Begins Now posted:

FIRMS indicates a smoking incident at Berdyansk airport.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
That is within Storm Shadow and Ukrainian 'drone' range, though if it is indeed ATACMS I will be glad they are being used before being officially announced.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tehdas posted:

Quick googling says no.

I remember serious documentary*, Die Another Day**, had the villain attempted to cross a minefield into South Korea with an army of Hovercraft on the basis that they wouldn't set off the mines.
Then the Korean Colonel's his DNA changed so he looks like an English guy, pretends to be an old money industrial billionaire and invents a laser satellite so he can use that to blow up the minefield between North and South Korea.

So that's two options that we can try.

* = Say what you will about the later two Brosnan Bond films, I think they are all much better Bond films than 80% of Daniel Craig's films. At least they are having fun and not self loathing about being a Bond film.

** = Should have used the original title, Death Waits For No One!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

War in Ukraine CE: a sensible minefield

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

FIRMS indicates a smoking incident at Berdyansk airport.

What's there:
https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1707847715789672710#m

Note that they do sound somewhat well-protected.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OddObserver posted:

What's there:

Supposedly we're sending the cluster bomb ATACMS first. Those are made for hitting airfields. Russia uses a lot of revetments to protect aircraft, but there's no top cover at all.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

OddObserver posted:

In theory. They had significant air defenses in the area and the helicopters were picture somewhat spaced out lengthwise down the runway - in pairs. Ammunition was stored just off the airstrip in revetments rather than simply piled nearby.

In practice Russian air defenses have had a lot of trouble engaging ballistic threats like HIMARS, cruise missiles like stormshadow, and low level drones. A helicopter sitting in the open with no revetments is a pretty soft target for fragmentation, particularly if they kept them fueled and/or combat loaded.

mllaneza posted:

Supposedly we're sending the cluster bomb ATACMS first. Those are made for hitting airfields. Russia uses a lot of revetments to protect aircraft, but there's no top cover at all.

The helicopters didn't appear to have revetments at all, just spaced out down the length of the runway.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is that some sort of balance for quick deployment vs safety or just Russia being lazy/oblivious?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Two words: nuclear panjandrum

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

They probably got hit by drones and the Russians want to write off such a severe loss as an excuse to escalate.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Young Freud posted:

They probably got hit by drones and the Russians want to write off such a severe loss as an excuse to escalate.

Escalate what and how?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“Ok gloves off now we’re REALLY gonna start feeding troops into the meat grinder!”

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ukrainians are much like killbots; they’ve got a preset maximum of Russians they can kill, so Russian leadership will bravely send wave after wave of their own men into Ukrainian killing fields until they reach their limit and shut down!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Young Freud posted:

Is that when they send in the real army that they've been hiding somewhere?

They've already done every sort of war crime possible at this point, what is there to escalate?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Ukraine claiming 9 copters, a SAM, an ammo dump and runway damage.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1714228403635683789

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1714258740684157116?t=z4paobhl5qaBSf-jUpPO0Q&s=19

ATACMS arrived apparently.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Gervasius posted:

ATACMS arrived apparently.

Making the announcement in style and with a bang. I suppose there really was no way for Russia to have predicted or prepared for this.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Fairly grounded take on what's going on at Adivvka by Tatarigami_UA.

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1713921466910081372

I like this guy as he does not seem to get carried away with either doom and gloom for Ukraine or silly optimism about an impending Russian collapse.

quote:

Summary of Avdiivka Situation as of 2023-10-16. Thread:

- Russian forces failed to maintain a lasting presence north of Avdiivka, despite their initial advances in the early days of the assault.
- Russians were unable to establish permanent control over the Slag Heap area.

2/ - Good news are emerging from the South-Western flank. Despite numerous efforts to break through to Sieverne, Russian forces incurred significant losses and were forced to retreat. This is very important, as the Western flank plays a crucial role in Avdiivka's logistics.

3/ Reports of numerous destroyed vehicles are accurate, but I want to highlight that some of these destroyed vehicles were situated there in previous months or even years. Nonetheless, the losses remain significant, with a somewhat reduced intensity in recent days.

4/ Recent satellite imagery and geolocated videos reveal that the enemy has shifted their approach in Avdiivka, resorting to heavy bombardment and causing extensive damage to the city's infrastructure and residential buildings.

quote:

This year has shown the challenge of breaching well-prepared defenses without a significant and overwhelming advantage in both quality and quantity.

The entire frontline is heavily fortified, and can't be breached with small tactical groups.

Hopefully world events and election results in the West don't play into Russia's hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1714289830778315207

quote:

The military launched 18 missiles at targets in occupied Berdyansk and Luhansk, the official said.

The version used by Ukraine to hit targets in Berdyansk, on the Azov Sea coast, and in the occupied eastern Luhansk region, were armed with cluster bomblets, rather than a single warhead.

e: AP quotes a US official confirming their use.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1714286468179595583

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 17, 2023