Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

So is Jordan's best chance to get elected speaker going to be in 30ish days when another government shutdown is looming?

Jordan's best chance to get elected speaker is now, because the longer this goes on the weaker his position gets. Right before a shutdown is when you're most likely to get a compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The funniest possible ending for this is enough moderate Republicans resign from the House in disgust that the Democrats get a majority. It wouldn't even take that many

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

The funniest possible ending for this is enough moderate Republicans resign from the House in disgust that the Democrats get a majority. It wouldn't even take that many

I'm personally holding out for the comedy ending where enough Republicans "get stuck in traffic" during the Speaker vote and Jeffries ends up getting the job.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Trump visited the Palmetto State Armory store and supposedly bought a Glock a few weeks back. Whether he really bought it or not is not known I think. But if he did, it would have been a violation of the order the Judge gave in (I can't remember which case) to allow him to go free while the trial is in preparation. So I've bought guns before and you have to at minimum go through a NICS check which is a federal system. Could Jack Smith subpoena the records for that and determine if Trump went through the NICS check and if so couldn't he then subpoena the store records to verify that Trump actually bought the gun?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Morrow posted:

Jordan's best chance to get elected speaker is now, because the longer this goes on the weaker his position gets. Right before a shutdown is when you're most likely to get a compromise.

Yeah, I'd say Jordan has at most 3 rounds of votes before he's officially toast. The question after that is whether they immediately try to bring back McCarthy or remind everyone this is a safe space, and ask if anyone else wants to get off to national humiliation before the wrap things up.

Deals with the Democrats don't enter the realm of possibility before Kevin fails a few rounds of voting himself. Anything more than a clean budget bill doesn't come into play before the shutdown happens.

Of course Israel's poo poo is a confounding factor as Representatives are looking to dump a few billion more on kick-starting the Rapture.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Democrats should stay out of this, the Republican House members are finally being good at something, making themselves look like complete dipshits. Everyone should just let them keep doing this as long as possible or I guess until the next shutdown looms.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm guessing Jordan is very pro "Let's send as many weapons as possible to Israel to genocide the Palestinians" right? I haven't heard his official position on it but that's his partie's position.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Look forward to Gym Jordan becoming Speaker.

The smart move would be to put up a patsy that has one job of keeping the government running - heck find someone who was going to retire at the end of their term anyway if you have to, let them pass something longer term, and then oust them and become speaker.

Having Gym Jordan become speaker and shut down the government after the republicans dump McCarthy for finding a deal to keep things open is such a freebie for Biden and the democrats.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the rule that the House needs a Speaker to function written in the constitution or can a future Speaker wrangle the votes to let the rest of the House run more autonomously

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is the rule that the House needs a Speaker to function written in the constitution or can a future Speaker wrangle the votes to let the rest of the House run more autonomously

The constitution demands a Speaker.

Article 1, Section 2. The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker

It is silent on what the Speaker's job is.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bel Shazar posted:

I vote for the Bose SoundLink Color II. Even comes in Red and Blue so you can switch based on party affiliation.

Oh you meant a person :v:

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 5, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mannerup posted:

to add on this, there is precedent for moving a resolution without a Speaker and before the next one is elected, happened the first time the speakership went vacant mid-Congress in 1814

ah, so, maybe they can't elect a speaker, but they *can* pass a resolution celebrating donald trump

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bel Shazar posted:

I know the Speaker doesn't have to be a Member of Congress, but does the Speaker have to be:
a) Human
b) Living?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They do still have a substitute speaker, so if they actually wanted to do something it would be possible. The problems for any sort of complex gamesmanship are

-The Republicans don't actually want to pass anything at the moment
-The substitute Speaker is a McCarthy loyalist, and chaos keeps the hope of re-electing Kevin alive
-The knives are out, and it's far too taxing trying to figure out who to stab while avoiding stabs to try and do anything other than knife fight for the gavel

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Trump visited the Palmetto State Armory store and supposedly bought a Glock a few weeks back. Whether he really bought it or not is not known I think. But if he did, it would have been a violation of the order the Judge gave in (I can't remember which case) to allow him to go free while the trial is in preparation. So I've bought guns before and you have to at minimum go through a NICS check which is a federal system. Could Jack Smith subpoena the records for that and determine if Trump went through the NICS check and if so couldn't he then subpoena the store records to verify that Trump actually bought the gun?

Sure, but Trump's visit to the store was on video and we can see he didn't buy the gun during the stop. While it's not impossible he secretly looped back and bought it, the more likely explanation of the campaign briefly claiming he'd done so is that Trump is a bullshit artist and his campaign is filled with habitual liars.

The special counsel may have looked into it, but there's also the issue that that law is currently being litigated, with a Texas appeals court having ruled it unconstitutional. I can imagine Jack Smith not wanting to muddy his case up with something like that, even in the unlikely event that Trump actually bought the gun.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The U.S government is so loving broken and so outrageously favors the far right that there's a very reasonable chance we get Speaker of the House Jim Jordan if not tomorrow some time later this week and then full on congressional deadlock until the next election with literally nothing getting through congress any more including even the trivial procedural stuff.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

OddObserver posted:

I know the Speaker doesn't have to be a Member of Congress, but does the Speaker have to be:
a) Human
b) Living?

Look, I know we talk about "Air Bud" rules from time to time, but the House GOP is not going to elect a dead dog as Speaker.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
DoJ is appealing the sentencing of the Proud Boys, presumably because the chudge gave them all lighter sentences and they immediately went out in public and said they'd do it again

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1714006953926472084

Is this a real thing that will go anywhere, or is this "we'd like to formally record that we are upset"?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Agronox posted:

Look, I know we talk about "Air Bud" rules from time to time, but the House GOP is not going to elect a dead dog as Speaker.

i can think of one dead dog they might support

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PharmerBoy posted:

Overwork issues are all accurate, but besides the point of the opioid dispensing issue.

The pharmacies that are getting hit are pharmacies where any reasonable person could tell there's something improper going on: prescribing clinics are known area pill mills, absurdly large quantities (eg 1200 tablets as a 30 day supply), etc. And the corporate entities, like Rite-Aid, getting hit are what should happen. Typically when you pull back the curtain on a ground-level chain pharmacy turning a blind eye to improper prescriptions, there are district or higher managers threatening the store employees to do it. The real tragedy is the lack of corporate management getting hit with individual consequences for their actions in pushing this kind of behavior.

Edit: If I've got enough professional training to say "I won't dispense this, it'll destroy your kidneys and put you in the hospital," I'm also perfectly capable of saying "I won't dispense this, it'll destroy your drive to breath and put you in the hospital."

Crackdowns of this nature are also inadvertently affecting supply chains for legal and legit prescriptions for Hyrdrocodone, Adderall and some chemo drugs.

Cross posting:

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/opioid-drug-shortages-affect-patients-health-systems

Shortage of chemo drugs

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/opioid-drug-shortages-affect-patients-health-systems

I take 10-20 mg of Norco daily and last month, I had to wait 8 days past my fill date to get my medication. The good news there was that I was able to get a read on any dependence I had and, turns out, there was no withdrawal or severe discomfort beyond the pain. But for people with more serious pain issues, I can only imagine this must be a complete nightmare. There's also the matter that I occasionally have to take a drug screen to verify hydrocodone in my system (so I won't sell them) and I'm not sure what will happen when I need to test positive for a drug I cannot obtain.

From what I can tell, the shortage may be due to the government putting hard caps on manufacturers limiting the total amount they can produce. But, man, seems to me all this will do is actually lead more people to the streets or to heroin. All this is doing is making it difficult for people with legit issues and legal scrips.

FWIW, I'm also having trouble filling my antidepressants so now, on certain days, I get sad brains and have trouble sleeping on top of chronic pain.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I'm guessing Jordan is very pro "Let's send as many weapons as possible to Israel to genocide the Palestinians" right? I haven't heard his official position on it but that's his partie's position.

Who the flying gently caress even knows if he has any opinion at all there. Which group oppresses LGBT people and hates Democrats and "woke people" harder in their respective regions? Israel or Palestine? Cause that's probably who he ends up supporting and where his thinking on the matter will begin or end. My guess is he's too busy doing Trump's bidding and trying to run interference on his trial or trying to impeach Biden even harder and that's the sole business of the house for the next year or so.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kale posted:

Who the flying gently caress even knows if he has any opinion at all there. Which group oppresses LGBT people and hates Democrats and "woke people" harder in their respective regions? Israel or Palestine? Cause that's probably who he ends up supporting and where his thinking on the matter will begin or end. My guess is he's too busy doing Trump's bidding and trying to run interference on his trial or trying to impeach Biden even harder and that's the sole business of the house for the next year or so.

I don't think it's that simple when it comes to Israel. Israel is a much more liberal place than the Palestinian territories but it still gets almost universal support from Republicans because the Palestinians are Muslim brown people. (Israel is full of brown people too but they don't seem to know that).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Kale posted:

The thing where the far right endorses Hamas because it's antisemitic hasn't spread to congress yet. MTG is just against sending US troops to bomb Gaza because they should be invading Mexico instead.

I think Jordan is against arming Ukraine and for arming Israel, but reporters were saying Ukraine and Israel were going to be combined into one package that would get a vote.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1714055682561851886

this appears to be the package that is being floated, why House Committee on Foreign Affairs Chair McCaul flipped

I can't believe these loving idiots are once again dragging their faceless and stinger covered bodies onto the Leopard and Scorpion direct ferry. But this time he looked me in the eyes when he gave a vague promise!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

OddObserver posted:

a) Human
b) Living?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSlGmVrmuM

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Made from real humans

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Retro42 posted:

I'm personally holding out for the comedy ending where enough Republicans "get stuck in traffic" during the Speaker vote and Jeffries ends up getting the job.

The only thing more powerless as Speaker than a Republican trying to wrangle their entire shithead caucus would be a Democrat accidentally getting the job and trying to do anything from a true minority position. This would in fact be the tragic ending.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

DoJ is appealing the sentencing of the Proud Boys, presumably because the chudge gave them all lighter sentences and they immediately went out in public and said they'd do it again

Is this a real thing that will go anywhere, or is this "we'd like to formally record that we are upset"?

Oh my god please.

I couldn't stand seeing one of them barely leave the exit before recanting his full statement of remorse, yelling TRUMP WON and celebrating his like 50% of expected sentence. (I'm making generalizations because I hate these guys too much to give them real estate in my head.)

I know it was a chudge but in a moral universe he should have been pulled right back into the courtroom before he made it to his car for a nice resentencing. FAFO doesn't see enough light of day.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sarcastro posted:

The only thing more powerless as Speaker than a Republican trying to wrangle their entire shithead caucus would be a Democrat accidentally getting the job and trying to do anything from a true minority position. This would in fact be the tragic ending.

They'd get way more passed than any possible Republican. Just by virtue of bringing all the bills that have all Democrats and 5 or so Republicans in support.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BiggerBoat posted:

There's also the matter that I occasionally have to take a drug screen to verify hydrocodone in my system (so I won't sell them) and I'm not sure what will happen when I need to test positive for a drug I cannot obtain.

Having to piss into a cup to prove you are on a drug was most definitely not on my 2023 Trauma Conga Bingo card. drat.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gyges posted:

They'd get way more passed than any possible Republican. Just by virtue of bringing all the bills that have all Democrats and 5 or so Republicans in support.

Or at the least put a lot of vulnerable Republicans on record voting down popular bills in an election year. That dilemma is what the Hastert Rule exists to prevent.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Jaxyon posted:

For context (and I went in to way more depth in the Trump Legal Thread during sentencing since technically it began as a Jan 6 thread) - the judge felt that he was forced to apply a terrorism enhancement to the sentence guidelines even though he did not agree with it ("take it up with Congress"). From his perspective, tearing down the fence on Jan 6 counted as a destruction of government property such that he had to apply the enhancement.

But, according to the Supreme Court those guidelines are explicitly advisory and the judge has wide latitude. Kelly chose to apply the enhancement as required but depart downward so as to make it not impact sentence length:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697293263726657979

I think Kelly's widely off base (he sees it as meant for terror killings and literal bombings and that it only applied here because of being poorly written, I think that's insane) but the underlying mechanic makes sense from a pursuit of justice perspective. Selfplagarizing:

quote:

To paraphrase (and exaggerate for absurdity) what he sees this as, it's as if there were a law requiring a sentencing enhacement for assaults in school if a student shot, stabbed, disembowled, choked, or otherwise made contact with a teacher during the assault, and the defendant pushed away the teacher's outstreched arm when the teacher tried to separate the students. By the letter of the law, he has no choice but to apply the enhancement. But following sentencing guidelines that would require an extra 15 years for it - maybe sensible had the student been trying to murder or severely injure the teacher - would be extraordinarily unjust and our legal system allows him to make that determination.

quote:

In July (RE Oath Keepers), the official statement from Justice was that the filing was necessary in case they wanted to appeal later.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Still cant believe we are very likely getting speaker Jim Jordan 2 heartbeats away from the presidency and theres seemingly no force than can stop America's descent into fascism anymore.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kale posted:

Still cant believe we are very likely getting speaker Jim Jordan 2 heartbeats away from the presidency and theres seemingly no force than can stop America's descent into fascism anymore.

No, we're not very likely getting Jim Jordan. He's more likely than not going to slam face first into a wall.

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1714271457612550546

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kale posted:

I think the GOP line of thinking is that picking a sex predator defender/insurrectionist/lunatic is better that that the continue embarrassment of not being able to pick anyone at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Morrow posted:

No, we're not very likely getting Jim Jordan. He's more likely than not going to slam face first into a wall.

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1714271457612550546
Isnt Ken Buck one of the big cowboy Trumpers or am I getting things mixed up? Also Lawler being no isnt surprising cause hes always on TV for a soundbite about how the Freedom Caucus sucks.