Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rollie Fingers posted:

I've moved to Firefox from Edge as my default browser and I prefer Edge's font rendering over Firefox's since it's more comfortable for my eyes.

What's the best way to get Firefox to match Edge's font rendering? tia

I did a quick Google search and it claims that Edge is using ClearType font rendering. I believe Firefox uses DirectWrite by default.

You may be able to switch Firefox back to GDI Classic rendering by using this option:
gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode = 2

I haven't tested this, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

Private tabs are even worse, if you have a private tab open if adds a notification icon to the top of the screen letting you know you have a private tab open in the background. It's baffling.

Turning off Firefox notifications removed it for me. There's nothing I need Firefox to notify me about anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
yt now has a timeout before the close option appears on the "adblock isn't allowed" popup:

At least I don't think it did this before.

This doesn't show up every time though, I did the ublock update dance so let's see if that killes it for a while.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, it started yesterday I think. It's a stupid never ending arms race. I just hope whoever at Google gets bored soon.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yup. People are reporting it goes message => message with timer => warning that you have 3 videos left => player locks itself down.

Apparently, YT also wants like 15-20$ a month for its ad free service. :hmmno:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Quackles posted:

Yup. People are reporting it goes message => message with timer => warning that you have 3 videos left => player locks itself down.

Apparently, YT also wants like 15-20$ a month for its ad free service. :hmmno:

It comes with Google's Spotify equivalent (YouTube Music), so if you use that instead of subscribing to another music streaming service the price isn't too bad. But I can't imagine how much YT I'd have to watch to justify paying $14/month just for ad-free, background play and downloads.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah, I don't know what they think I'm using YouTube for, but nothing I watch there is worth paying Google for.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grab your channels rss feed and put it in your reader then download it with yt-dlp. Ad free viewing and no chance of ever seeing comments.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Grab your channels rss feed and put it in your reader then download it with yt-dlp. Ad free viewing and no chance of ever seeing comments.
You can even automate the process via flexget.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I still have not seen that "no ads" screen.....yet. Maybe I'm on the better end of A/B testing? In any case, yt-dlp has not been working for me for some time. It always tells me that it's unable to "extract uploader id".

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
What version are you on? I'm on stable@2023.10.13. I find these days you have to update it fairly often as YouTube is changing so much to stop people using it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh, 2021.04.26. I'll update now; thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Quackles posted:

Had my first instance of this last night. Filter purge and update got rid of it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yep got this now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

phosdex posted:

Yep got this now.

Klyith posted:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

quick fixes is where they're putting the constantly changing anti-adblock stuff

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah just got it too, I guess the problem is if there's a counter on your account eventually you're going to hit the limit. I guess at that point I just make a new account. Or use a private window or something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

There isn't a single piece of web content that's worth seeing an ad for

If you see an ad you can't block hit da bricks

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There isn't a counter on your account, at least not yet. Just update the filters and it'll go away. At most I think you need to purge cookies in firefox.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Splinter posted:

It comes with Google's Spotify equivalent (YouTube Music), so if you use that instead of subscribing to another music streaming service the price isn't too bad. But I can't imagine how much YT I'd have to watch to justify paying $14/month just for ad-free, background play and downloads.

On a cost-per-hours-viewed basis it's competitive with Netflix et al, but I'm not sure how I feel about that comparison.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Yeah just got it too, I guess the problem is if there's a counter on your account eventually you're going to hit the limit. I guess at that point I just make a new account. Or use a private window or something.

If you just want to watch videos, you can use https://libredirect.github.io/ to automatically redirect all youtube links to an Invidious instance

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tamba posted:

If you just want to watch videos, you can use https://libredirect.github.io/ to automatically redirect all youtube links to an Invidious instance
This is a good addon, but unless there are a lot of robust mirrors, it will be a very temporary solution as its popularity increases.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

doctorfrog posted:

This is a good addon, but unless there are a lot of robust mirrors, it will be a very temporary solution as its popularity increases.

There are docker boxes for it so you can run your own private one / add to the available pool.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I had a copy running on my local server, but I never used it because I actually like having my subscriptions. Might try FreeTube at some point as that allow a subscription type feed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I gave Piped a shot the last few days and it's ok. It can give you a nice subscription feed. Shame it only keeps track of what you watched already locally. That would have been useful.

You can set up your own instance if you're into that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know how, but somehow you can still access RSS feeds for individual channels (despite the company deliberately breaking subscription RSS feeds).

That way you can decide what happens when someone you're interested in following uploads something; plenty of RSS readers still exist, and there's also options like throwing the RSS feed at flexget and using yt-dlp to download the files automatically.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't know how, but somehow you can still access RSS feeds for individual channels (despite the company deliberately breaking subscription RSS feeds).

That way you can decide what happens when someone you're interested in following uploads something; plenty of RSS readers still exist, and there's also options like throwing the RSS feed at flexget and using yt-dlp to download the files automatically.

At a guess, the person that wrote that part of the system no longer works anywhere near it, and nobody else remembers that it exists.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Computer viking posted:

At a guess, the person that wrote that part of the system no longer works anywhere near it, and nobody else remembers that it exists.

Alternatively, it's load-bearing for some other feature and it's easier to leave it in place than rewrite a bunch of code.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

isndl posted:

Alternatively, it's load-bearing for some other feature and it's easier to leave it in place than rewrite a bunch of code.

Or the synthesis - they fear that it may be but nobody knows anymore.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Computer viking posted:

Or someone who still works there still likes having it functional.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Atopian posted:

This is my guess too, because it's not the kind of thing that automatically stays working, I'd imagine.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
My guess is that google still wants YouTube to be a place for podcasts

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Atopian posted:

I can believe that there are individual employees who are Good Guys but it didn't save Google Reader.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I can believe that there are individual employees who are Good Guys but it didn't save Google Reader.
I hope the one person who (secretly?) maintains RSS feeds on YouTube channels keeps their job.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is it safe to delete the storage\archives folders in my profile? There's an archive folder taking up 250MB that looks like sites I haven't visited in months/years. Why is Firefox even bothering to "archive" it if it's still taking up space?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quixzlizx posted:

Is it safe to delete the storage\archives folders in my profile? There's an archive folder taking up 250MB that looks like sites I haven't visited in months/years. Why is Firefox even bothering to "archive" it if it's still taking up space?

Should be.

Storage is where firefox puts websites' local storage -- like cookies in terms of websites storing user data, but much more robust. And just like cookies, more frequently abused than used for stuff you actually want.

I dunno why the "archives" folder though -- I don't have one of those, just: default permanent temporary & to-be-removed.

You can also do settings -> privacy & security -> cookies & site data -> clear or manage data to get rid of stuff. Alternately, Cookie Auto-Delete can do local storage as well as cookies and is one of my fav extensions, if you have the patience to set up a whitelist.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
SA keeps drafts of posts in local storage if you want to whitelist us.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Alternatively :justpost:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does it still keep the drafts there indefinitely?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Klyith posted:

Should be.

Storage is where firefox puts websites' local storage -- like cookies in terms of websites storing user data, but much more robust. And just like cookies, more frequently abused than used for stuff you actually want.

I dunno why the "archives" folder though -- I don't have one of those, just: default permanent temporary & to-be-removed.

You can also do settings -> privacy & security -> cookies & site data -> clear or manage data to get rid of stuff. Alternately, Cookie Auto-Delete can do local storage as well as cookies and is one of my fav extensions, if you have the patience to set up a whitelist.

Yeah, I knew what the storage folder was for, I just didn't understand why there was a 250MB segregated "archive" folder. Like what's the point of "archiving" this kind of data if it isn't being compressed or something? I ended up deleting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Latest update did something weird where fullscreening Youtube makes the screen go gray for a good second. Anyone else getting this or did an extension break?