Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is so minute an argument but drat you're labelling 60 seconds of darkness as a problem. You might get pushback on that

I don't see anything in that post saying it's a "problem". Just that it's disturbing. Lots of things in Subnautica are disturbing, that's one of its greatest strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't see anything in that post saying it's a "problem". Just that it's disturbing. Lots of things in Subnautica are disturbing, that's one of its greatest strengths.

quote:

but it's a real problem towards the beginning of the game

?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I vaguely remember thinking 'this is amazing' the first time I dove in from my pod at night and saw all the bioluminescent critters. It's still pretty great to see sometimes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This is so minute an argument but drat you're labelling 60 seconds of darkness as a problem. You might get pushback on that

heh

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fair enough, I missed that one. I read that sentiment as a lot more "a challenge to overcome" rather than "a negative aspect of the game". Like saying "I'm trying to go to 300m, the problem is my Seamoth only goes down to 200m".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Problem because it made the game spookier, not because they’re ragging on the game. Calm down.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Yeah a lot of my early play time was just sitting on the pod waiting for sunlight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah a lot of my early play time was just sitting on the pod waiting for sunlight.

Words can't accurately describe the strong feeling I had when I started my first base and spent the first night in there.

Christ, that was the coziest I'll ever feel in that game, or even in a virtual white tube.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

coziest base location i ever found was on a plateau in the grand reef overlooking the sea treader's path. i built an observation dome to watch rhe seat treaders. it was nice.

there was a ghost leviathan i had to dodge every time i came home and its presence made harvesting things from my planters a little sketchy but that's ok.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Danger Gardening

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There's a spot in the safe shallows where there's a natural crevice that makes getting the Cyclops in and out and I usually make my base straddling that so that the structure makes kind of a natural parking spot for the big old sub. One of my favorite moves is making a vertical tunnel up to a glass observation dome that's actually above the water.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Words can't accurately describe the strong feeling I had when I started my first base and spent the first night in there.

Christ, that was the coziest I'll ever feel in that game, or even in a virtual white tube.

That's the best sensation I get out of any survival game, tbh. Subnautica especially, but also valheim, unreal world, even minecraft. I feel like there's a perfect game tickling at the edges of my brain - Oxygen Not Included meets Subnautica meets URW or something in that vein. URW has much fewer monsters most of the time than Subnautica, but there's still a nice soothing "oh hey I'm back in my homestead, time to unload this pack of furs and warm up" sensation.

someday someone will invent the perfect pillow fort survival-exploration game and i will play it forever

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Outer Wilds isn't that kind of game but I still got that feeling from getting back to my ship after a nasty bit of exploration and blasting away and just drifting in space in my cozy homey little ship interior.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

MikeJF posted:

Outer Wilds isn't that kind of game but I still got that feeling from getting back to my ship after a nasty bit of exploration and blasting away and just drifting in space in my cozy homey little ship interior.
Ahhhh so cozy in my safe ship.

*Sad tune starts playing as the sun expands*

Oh, right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well yes cozy for a maximum of 22 minutes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Just saw this - it's apparently a trailer for a mod that's being worked on? Not sure if any of this will ever come out, but it certainly looks rad as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4Zy96RN8k

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If the next Subnautica game is just a redone version of the first with some more stuff, but it's now co-op, I honestly couldn't complain :shrug:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

If the next Subnautica game is just a redone version of the first with some more stuff, but it's now co-op, I honestly couldn't complain :shrug:

:emptyquote:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A UE 5 Subnautica with all the ray traced nonsense enabled, all the below zero stuff added in, and multiplayer co-op would be such an amazing cash grab rerelease. I'd pay list price twice just to force my friend to play it with me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

A UE 5 Subnautica with all the ray traced nonsense enabled, all the below zero stuff added in, and multiplayer co-op would be such an amazing cash grab rerelease. I'd pay list price twice just to force my friend to play it with me.

UE5 wouldn't be a rerelease, it'd be a whole new game from the ground-up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

UE5 wouldn't be a rerelease, it'd be a whole new game from the ground-up.

Sounds ok to me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My singular criticism for OG subnautica is that there really needs to be a way to dock the Cyclops with the main base.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

There's a mod at least.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

My singular criticism for OG subnautica is that there really needs to be a way to dock the Cyclops with the main base.

Good memories of trying dock my brand new cyclops. Why *thud* isn't *crack* this *slam* working!

It looked a lot smaller when it was being constructed in the air. Then I got out and realized what the issue was, and also that the hab was broken in 10 different places.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

You should be able to build 2 (3?) moon pools next to each other that connect together for a cyclops dock

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nah, you want a docking port to lock to a hatch in the side of the Cyclops. Just a fancy Hatch block to stick on a corridor end, and brushing up against it auto-aligns the sub.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
While that would be rad, you have to admit that that there’s something appealing about a giant underwater submarine bay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

There's a mod at least.

The mod is finicky but it was one of my favorite mods in my heavily modded game. It just turns the Cyclopes into another base tube you can walk into. Made moving materials back and forth a dozen times easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Talorat posted:

While that would be rad, you have to admit that that there’s something appealing about a giant underwater submarine bay.

Oh absolutely. Bringing the Cyclops up into the submarine pen of the Weapon Platform is very satisfying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Best of both worlds make a giant docking bay and then the front of your cyclops opens and a platform extends so you can walk straight off it into your base.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MikeJF posted:

Best of both worlds make a giant docking bay and then the front of your cyclops opens and a platform extends so you can walk straight off it into your base.

That’s the stuff, gimme

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

:yeah:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

:sickos:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I never really messed with the jukebox much in Below Zero…then this started to play.

https://youtu.be/RBdm83TdkeM?si=Z0ifa5FrcZSJesLw

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I started playing Subnautica a day or two ago (I think I got it for free from Epic a million years ago?), so far my most memorable experience was, after being very lost for a good few hours at the start of the game, I finally get some stuff done and then it crashes and I lose two hours of not only progress but also somehow screenshots, since I didn't realize it didn't autosave. Then I went back and sunk another dozen hours into the game. Then my friend who was watching me play occassionally also got the game, played for ~40 minutes and then had to quit in a hurry and also had never saved.

At the start I tried for way too long to live out of the lifepod, so it was inventory management hell the entire time. I completely misinterpreted the transmission saying the Aurora's reactor was glowing to blow within whatever amount of time to mean the area with my lifepod was going to be obliterated and I should be looking at getting out and not building a base. Also, I kinda assumed I'd need dozens or hundreds of titanium etc to build a base, since a base is obviously so much more massive than the tools I'd been building so far, and never actually checked. Then I proceeded to live out a single tube section, with an empty tube section over it with a vertical connector that I couldn't put a ladder in because it would have completely obstructed the tube I lived in, and a solar panel on top of that, for most of the game.

I spent a while not really understanding how the game wanted me to progress so I probably wasted a ton of time, but I did get the Seaglide and Seamoth together soon enough. I got the waypoint with the rendezvous location at some point, so I went there and was like, yup, that sure is a location, picked up the PDA and went home without scanning or collecting anything. Then I followed another waypoint into a cave and that sent me deeper into a cave and on the way I scanned an alien structure and gasped in surprise at there being aliens in this scifi game where we crashed a ship on a strange planet. I hadn't really been reading all the text that showed up in my PDA but that made me go "I guess the aliens probably shot down our ship and they're about to shoot down the ship that's coming in to rescue us", and then a countdown showed up on my screen out of nowhere and I panicked for forty minutes and then I watched the aliens that presumably shot down our ship shoot down the ship that's coming in to rescue us. I went ahead and explored the alien gun building but that was around when my game crashed so I guess in the new continuity from my last save I never actually did that so I don't know what's in there at all. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to find another alien facility that can cure me so that the alien button will let me turn off the alien gun, but, like, it seems at this point that's not time-critical so I haven't really been enthusiastic about that. I did find something that looks like an alien stargate but I didn't want to put in the one single ion cube or w/e that I've seen so far.

Later, in a fit of "might as well" I drove over to the Aurora, which I had previously assumed to be in the game's skybox and not the actual world, until someone from back home said to go to the captain's quarter in there (which I think also happened right before my game crashed, and I haven't gotten the message again, so I think I am missing some progression right now?). I rushed past a bunch of tiny creatures that probably tried to eat me and was almost deterred and somewhat peeved when my PDA said I'm gonna need a fire extinguisher, because, like, I threw that out/left it behind figuring I'm not gonna set my lifepod on fire ever again, but it turned out there were plenty available. I didn't enjoy this section at all really, I think I managed to scan 3 out of 4 PRAWN fragments and have made no progress on that since then so I probably messed up. I picked up the rocket platform blueprint and immediately decided to ignore it, so overall I don't think the visit was really worth it.

I'd been visiting all the locations from the radio transmissions, but I always felt like I probably missed something, maybe even the thing they sent me there for, so overall I am not a huge fan of this mode of guiding the player/gating progression (and I guess approaching it as a survival game I feel predisposed to assume any story is going to be completely unconnected to the actual gameplay, and probably bad). I think that was around when I really wanted to finally get the Cyclops, having been I think 1 scan short for the past two and a half paragraphs, so I figured I must have missed it somewhere, so I revisited a ton of places and maybe found some things I had missed (I probably made the grav gun around here). At some point I got annoyed and decided to just set off in some random direction where the ocean is a bit deeper and then I immediately found the thing.

I mentioned something like "if I had infinite food I could just live on the Cyclops forever" to a friend and they pointed out that both of the islands I'd been on had a ton of edible things on them I could just plant in my base and in the Cyclops and I didn't actually have to live exclusively off the fish I could catch with my bare hands in front of the starting location forever, so that's been nice to go back and fix. I'm trying to come up with cute ways to never run out of energy on the Cyclops either but it doesn't look like there's anything that's ultimately less of a hassle than building/carrying around as many extra power cells as needed. I toyed with the idea of setting up something like charging stations where I'd just set down a room with a bio reactor and a flower bed in the middle of nowhere, but I can't imagine that's actually worth it except for roleplaying reasons or something. I was a bit disappointed that I can't build all of the stuff I can put in a real base in the Cyclops, though.

Up to this point I'd never actually seen a reaper, or really worried about the wildlife at all, outside of ramming some annoying purple thing with my Seamoth so it'd go away once or twice, and maybe keeping my distance from some particularly threatening looking eels around one of the wrecks. I totally didn't feel the sense of dread or danger that people seemed to be talking about, instead I felt like I had plot armor in that if I just do what the game is pointing me towards. So far that's technically holding up, but I read someone talk about the far side of the Aurora being interesting, and when I took my shiny new Cyclops there to investigate I finally had the proper respect for the native animals bitten into me. I have since figured out that just turning off the lights/engines tends to make the reapers leave me alone after a bit, but there was some frantic live combat repair/retreat action happening for a while. Since then I've ran into one or two more but I haven't really figured out what to do about that beyond resigning myself to not go to that area. (I did manage to scan one of them and I'm kinda proud of that, but I'm not sure it's worth the 4-6 first aid kits I went through for that.) Also I was surprised to find a reaper when I was just heading straight west from my lifepod until the water gets really deep, because surely I passed close to that area a dozen times already? Now I just assume they're lurking everywhere, just out of sight.

I've been meaning to build the water filtration thing for a long, long time, but I'd never figured out how to build the fancy ingredient for it. I'm pretty sure it's been in the fabricator the entire time but somehow every time I looked for it, I missed it. Eventually I found it and I had all the bits I needed and now I'm drinking cleaner water than ever. Seems like the free bottled water and the salt that can cure fish are the road trip complement to the plentiful but very perishable fruit, so that's nice.

Right now there's a few things like the PRAWN suit that I've come across but don't know how to work towards, and some things I've heard about like better batteries that I have no idea about at all, but my main frustration is that I'm always short on some material, and half the time it's something stupid like titanium or copper. I keep trying to approach this like idk minecraft where I can set off in some direction with some bare necessities and then basically live off the land, gathering all the stuff I need right where I need it. Seems a lot harder in this game, though, also with resources taking up relatively so much more storage space than I'm used from other games. I'll be like "I have two whole shelves of this stuff!" and then five minutes later I'm completely out. And I bring home so much less stuff from each trip.

I'm particularly having trouble remembering where to get which resource, partly because most of my prior exploration trips are all very much blending together in my memory possibly because of lack of sleep, and partly because I am just utterly unable to remember specific places at all. I keep hearing people talk about the mushroom forest or the great reef or whatever and other people knowing exactly what they mean, but in my mind pretty much everything just registered as "that one dark underwater area with the cave/abyss/lifepod", which hasn't been super useful. I miss some sort of in-game map. I've seen people recommend heavy use of beacons and I've tried to place a bunch, but my sense of direction is still not improving a lot and of course half the time when I want to place a beacon I'm somehow out of either copper or titanium. Ultimately it makes me feel very helpless when I know I want to build this particular thing but I have no idea how to work towards that, and I wish I'd taken notes or something earlier in the game.

The whole game feels a lot how I always wanted to play Space Engineers, down to a surprising amount of details, just a lot more focused and hence more polished. Seems like a good deal overall, but I keep missing conveniences like easily moving stuff between containers/between ships and my base, being able to charge the ship's batteries from the base, and autopilot or at least the ability to point the ship in a direction and go off to do something else. Also I'm constantly a lot more worried about running out of conveniently located resources for good. It's very different from the game that I expected from hearing people talk about it over the years but that I stayed away from because I hated the idea of dark caves. I assumed it was gonna be much more focused on survival horror kinda stuff and less sandboxy, whoops.

How do people feel about replayability? I'm kind of tempted to start over at some point knowing a bit more about how to get things done without as much pain, but at the same time I am really afraid of forgetting I haven't done some specific thing to unlock some sort of progression in that new playthrough, and just getting more stuck and frustrated. I guess I'll try to compromise by making my friend play and letting me watch.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 1, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've replayed both SN and BZ so many times, like once a month each for over a year.
I finally slowed down on it, but actually just recently picked up SN for Switch so started that again, which also made me restart a PC play of BZ a few days ago.

Things to remember, radio signals are story breadcrumbs.
Follow them and explore those areas.
And then later maybe set up a scanner room near those areas if they have good minerals.
You can always go back into the beacon manager and turn them back on until you drop a beacon of your own down.
Also, the scanner room is very power hungry, i've seen videos of so many people forget to turn it off and then wonder why their base has no air.

Plants respawn but minerals do not, but there are so many more mineral nodes around than you may think and you'd be hard pressed to actually run out.
Or you could just be scanner room mobile and just set it down, harvest nodes, then move it elsewhere.
Always make sure you remove its upgrades first.

There is one breadcrumb in particular that is very easy to miss, and many do, so if you think you may be completely stuck on where to go next someone could tell you where it is.

I've also been watching the Genosis/NotaGamer Gaming playthrough lately which is hilarious.
His adhd has him trying to micromanage everything while simultaneously missing the completely obvious.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 1, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yup, build scanner rooms and upgrade them for max range. Use them to look for blueprints and wrecks. Also build the computer chip so item location shows up on your hud. That’s something a lot of new players miss. Go back to the Aurora, you’re not done there. There’s four scannable prawn suits in that bay you must’ve missed one. Maybe on the ceiling? Also need to find the engine room and repair the drive core with your tool. It will eliminate the radiation from the map and you can hang up your radiation suit.

Otherwise the game is all about going deep. Your vehicles all get depth modules that can be upgraded to go deeper, work on that. Like the other poster said, explore around the various lifepods, especially the deep ones.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

drat, I figured I must have missed one. Ugh I hate that place.

I did do the fixing the core thing, but I figured it didn't buy me a lot? I guess it means I get to keep the rebreather on all the time?

I actually just built the scanner room upgrades/hud chip, I thought it was gonna show the ugly map from the room in my hud so I was putting it off, this is a lot more useful. Also I didn't look close enough to realize I can scan for fragments and databoxes. So the idea is I set up a base with a scanner room in all the cool places to make sure I find everything? Can I power a base with power cells or anything like that?

I was pretty sure I had followed all the beacons I got, but I just remembered Lifepod 7 didn't get a beacon, just a bunch of hints, so I'll be checking that out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don’t believe you can power a base with batteries.

Solar panels or various modules that are unmistakably for base powering.

You seem like you have good instincts for this game so I hesitate to spoil you on anything. Keep at it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, there’s two additional ways to power a base beyond a bioreactor and solar panels. One of them is a late game acquisition and makes it so it’s no longer a problem for the most part. Keep searching for wrecks and blueprints. And keep going deeper, beyond 500 meters. How you found any Cyclops parts?