Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
C'mon,not again. It was fun to tank once but trading jaylen Johnson and the few other talented guys for picks that could be anything, even a boat; would stink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If I'm Ownership/Warren/Poles(mostly the first two, as hell Poles might get shown the door since Warren didn't hire him) I don't trade anyone. Unless someone really wants to give up some real poo poo.

It's not like the Bears are pick barren. Some mid round picks don't move me, If you lose Jaylon Johnson just take the Comp pick, when he gets paid.

Who the gently caress knows what the next coach and maybe GM values and wants.

Don't trade very good starting caliber players for sub 2nd round picks. imo.

If someone wants to offer a Second for JJ then sure, but other than that, nah I'm good on getting another loving 4th or 5th round pick. You likely will not find a player as good as JJ in that slot, and JJ plays the like 3rd/4th most important position on any football team. And does it very well.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I agree on Jaylon but I might take an early day 3 pick for Mooney if you can get it. Especially if Fields is out for most of the season? Kind of have a hard time seeing him re-signing here at a decent price given his lack of involvement in the offense this season, and I don't know if you can even bank on him drawing a meaningful comp pick

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I really thought Mooney was going to pop this year with a legit number 1 receiver in front of him. Instead, he disappeared. Supreme bummer.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

fishing with the fam posted:

I really thought Mooney was going to pop this year with a legit number 1 receiver in front of him. Instead, he disappeared. Supreme bummer.

Mooney has only has 19 targets this season. Fuckin Claypool has 14 and he only played 3 games. Moore and Kmet are sitting at 42 and 32 respectively.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

Like Goff's worst season as a full time starter on the Rams would probably be the greatest QB'ed season in Bears history.

Sorry for dredging this back up but I couldn't look up stats until I got out of work and I'm still annoyed at this argument:

Cutler, 2015 season: 3659 yards, 21 TD, 11 INT, 7.6 AY/A, 92.3 rate, 61.0 QBR
Mitch, 2018 season: 3223 yards, 24 TD, 12 INT, 7.4 AY/A, 95.4 rate, 71.0 QBR
Goff, 2019 season: 4638 yards, 22 TD, 16 INT, 7.0 AY/A, 86.5 rate, 50.6 QBR
Goff, 2020 season: 3952 yards, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 6.8 AY/A, 90 Rate, 50.8 QBR
Goff last 16 games: 4152 yards, 28 TDs, 4 INTs, 8.38 AY/A, 104.3 Rate

Obviously stats aren't everything, but Goff's last few seasons in LA would have fit quite comfortably into the upper bounds of Bears QB mediocrity. The fact that he's playing better now is inarguable, and in some categories he's actually playing better than he did in his Superbowl seasons.

Goff started out bad, got good with McVay, suffered a decline after getting exposed by Belichick, bottomed out the first season with the Lions, and has steadily risen up to equal and potentially even surpass his previous heights. He's absolutely having a career resurgence, and it is bonkers to me you think otherwise.

Also, Goff was absolutely benched by McVay, and the thumb injury was a convenient excuse to do so.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm dying at how you can post those stats and think that that is mediocrity when I don't even need to click the spoilers and can tell you which ones are Goff, and which ones are Cutler and maybe Mitch(Maybe that's a Grossman Season but ints are probably too low?), and Goff's numbers are all better albeit maybe marginallly less efficient.

Also those are not upper bounds those are like all top 5-7 bears QB performances of all time and Id take Goff's worst over all of them.

Yeah McVay got annoyed with Goff, and was seeking an upgrade, I've never said that wasn't the case.

Regardless of how annoyed McVay was with Goff he absolutely would have started Goff over loving Wolford in the Playoffs if Goff had not injured his loving throwing hand.

I never said Goff hasn't gotten better just that resurgence is a strong word for a dude that played well enough to make the Superbowl and who aveeaged the stats he did. He had an extremely down year and then started to bounce back once he got into an offense that worked for him

Goff has just gotten better at not having the games where he would just have absolute brain farts and become more consistent and steady.

Like Geno Smith is what I call a career resurgence and massive improvement performance wise, Goff just had a down year year and a half.

But shrug this is all dumb pedantry. You and I just disagree on terms.

Enjoy your QB and Team who is playing well.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 17, 2023

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Dexo posted:

Yeah McVay got annoyed with Goff, and was seeking an upgrade, I've never said that wasn't the case.

Regardless of how annoyed McVay was with Goff he absolutely would have started Goff over loving Wolford in the Playoffs if Goff had not injured his loving throwing hand.

I think you're wrong on this one, the news was McVay pretty much hated Goff at that time and sat him out of spite.

edit: I understand that for a playoff game sitting someone who is better for spite is dumb, but I mean he honestly at this point thought that he could pull someone off the street to play better than he thought Goff would.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 17, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I do not believe that, because that is catastrophically dumb.

But even if that was the case that has no bearing on Goff's general quality of play.

That is akin to Trestman Benching Cutty and saying Clausen gives them the best chance to win, which is obviously egoist bullshit. And is more of an indictment on McVay than Goff. Just like Benching Cutler for Clausen was more of an indictment on Trestman than Cutler.

I refuse to believe that if Goff had a thumb that worked that McVay would have started Wolford over him. Maybe McVay used the injury as an excuse to try Wolford, since Goff was injured, but there is no way he just outright benches Goff if Goff was healthy.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 17, 2023

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Scipiotik posted:

Lions have two rb they waived from with injury settlements, Jefferson and Ibrahim. I wonder if either is able to sign again. I know it's a bit hard to know how long they settled for, but the rb room is looking empty at the moment.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/10/17/23920711/detroit-lions-re-sign-rb-mohamed-ibrahim-practice-squad

Me and Brad Holmes, one mind.

For my next trick he will get a top tier compliment for Aidan Hutchinson for a 2025 7th round pick.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 17, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm re-watching the Lions-Bucs highlights and hooooo boy are they lucky that Baker Mayfield's interception got tipped at the line, cause it was a total coverage bust and Mike Evans was one Isaiah Buggs fingertip away from jogging in for a 92-yard touchdown

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah there were like 3-4 plays where it seemed if Mayfield placed the ball a little better, the game looks a lot different. Sort of the same with the KC game - if those receivers weren't afflicted with stone hands, I don't think the Lions pull off the win there. I'm enjoying the wins and think AG has done a great job lately, but it still looks like the D is getting a bit lucky on opposing team mistakes not blowing the top off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It could be argued that the Lions are forcing those mistakes, since they’re not occurring in a vacuum

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

After multiple games of teams making really boneheaded mistakes in our favour, that seems less like luck

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Fire everybody

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

KC drops weren't caused by the D, but I agree there was probably some influence with the pass rush throwing off deep ball accuracy in the Bucs game. I'm just a bit worried they'll play a QB that can make those throws under pressure to the open receiver on some of those deep shots, and that's gonna hurt.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

KC drops weren't caused by the D, but I agree there was probably some influence with the pass rush throwing off deep ball accuracy in the Bucs game. I'm just a bit worried they'll play a QB that can make those throws under pressure to the open receiver on some of those deep shots, and that's gonna hurt.

I think the only three teams in our schedule who have that capability are maybe Lamar, dak (who is an INT generator), and maybe cousins (especially if JJ is back by then)

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

GNU Order posted:

Fire everybody

:allbuttons:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the Lions have had luck on their side, but that’s sport. I don’t think you get to 5-1 in a league like the NFL without luck on your side. By week 6, every team in the league probably has 3+ games they think might have gone different depending on luck.

Equally I think luck balances out. Maybe the odd overthrown pass goes differently but then maybe the Lions don’t lose multiple top draft picks and free agency signings to multi-week/season ending injuries this early on.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
lol, two dudes unblocked on the side the pitch is going to and one dude unblocked on the other side. I'm sure they drew it up just like that!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think the only three teams in our schedule who have that capability are maybe Lamar, dak (who is an INT generator), and maybe cousins (especially if JJ is back by then)

I'm worried about the playoffs :cool:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Bumhead posted:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the Lions have had luck on their side, but that’s sport. I don’t think you get to 5-1 in a league like the NFL without luck on your side. By week 6, every team in the league probably has 3+ games they think might have gone different depending on luck.

Equally I think luck balances out. Maybe the odd overthrown pass goes differently but then maybe the Lions don’t lose multiple top draft picks and free agency signings to multi-week/season ending injuries this early on.

Totally agree here, but I do make a distinction between injury luck and "luck" where an opposing offense didn't execute properly. The second one is certainly influenced by the defense, and again i give full credit to the D and AG playing down several people. I just feel a bit of unease seeing where if those plays do click, and they were very close to it, that the position of the receiver is going to burn us for a huge gain or a TD.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tinstaach posted:

I'm re-watching the Lions-Bucs highlights and hooooo boy are they lucky that Baker Mayfield's interception got tipped at the line, cause it was a total coverage bust and Mike Evans was one Isaiah Buggs fingertip away from jogging in for a 92-yard touchdown

It felt like Evans was perpetually on the brink of some massive play. We're pretty lucky Baker decided to make a bunch of overthrows!

Bumhead posted:

Literally the Lions' only loss came after a coin flip in OT, so, yeah, maybe their luck is kind of even.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

All hail the Goffence https://twitter.com/honolulublues_/status/1714310121788957038?s=46

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GNU Order posted:

Fire everybody

im laughing pretty hard at the amount of ???s

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming Fields can't audible?

I would audible on that one.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fishing with the fam posted:

lol, two dudes unblocked on the side the pitch is going to and one dude unblocked on the other side. I'm sure they drew it up just like that!

70 for the Bears at least looks like he's on his way to block 99. Whether he would've gotten there in time if the pitch went the right direction we'll never know, but my guess is he wouldn't have.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

It's so over

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

If I'm Ownership/Warren/Poles(mostly the first two, as hell Poles might get shown the door since Warren didn't hire him) I don't trade anyone. Unless someone really wants to give up some real poo poo.

It's not like the Bears are pick barren. Some mid round picks don't move me, If you lose Jaylon Johnson just take the Comp pick, when he gets paid.

Who the gently caress knows what the next coach and maybe GM values and wants.

Don't trade very good starting caliber players for sub 2nd round picks. imo.

If someone wants to offer a Second for JJ then sure, but other than that, nah I'm good on getting another loving 4th or 5th round pick. You likely will not find a player as good as JJ in that slot, and JJ plays the like 3rd/4th most important position on any football team. And does it very well.

Agreed. Don't trade talent. Last year was the teardown. Trading good players is a good way to have the first pick three years in a row.

GNU Order posted:

It's so over

I'm pretty much done with this staff. I'm willing to give Poles another shot because a lot of the guys he brought in do look good.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

wins one game against a team almost as bad as yours

Hey do you guys wanna run that goofy rear end speed option with a fake power run to the back side to lose 5 yards as fast as humanly possible? After that is ol reliable, WR bubble screen

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The play, executed perfectly, as designed, starts in shotgun and ends further backwards than if Fields had just taken the snap and sat down on the ground

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

GNU Order posted:

The play, executed perfectly, as designed, starts in shotgun and ends further backwards than if Fields had just taken the snap and sat down on the ground

Very odd why everyone took a giant step back after the snap.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah there were like 3-4 plays where it seemed if Mayfield placed the ball a little better, the game looks a lot different.

This is the story of his career though. He's not a good quarterback.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone in another thread coined it the best way I can possibly imagine -- Baker Mayfield is the most vibes-based quarterback I think we've seen in a long time. If he's on a team where the attitude and atmosphere is energized and ready to go, even if that team is bad, then he plays well. If the energy is dead or rotten, he can't do poo poo. This becomes most of a problem when Mayfield has to play against teams with stronger vibes than his has, which the Lions are basically by default.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Bird in a Blender posted:

70 for the Bears at least looks like he's on his way to block 99. Whether he would've gotten there in time if the pitch went the right direction we'll never know, but my guess is he wouldn't have.

Danielle Hunter is generally not a player you want to block by swinging a tackle back all the way down the line to pick up. And maybe that’s why he got 2 sacks and 2 tfl’s against them. But then again I’m not a Bears OC so I’m not galaxy brained enough to know what that play was supposed to be.

This season the amount of plays the Bears have run that I immediately had the thought of “was that run wrong or designed poorly” is way too high. And I haven’t even watched all their games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No really that list of stats is funny now that I'm more awake because the probable Goff years all beat Kramer's record per year of like 38XX

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I love how he was so shallow in his initial route that he reached heat-seeking missile speed before coming into frame.

So outta nowhere, like he jumped on the field mid-play yelling leeeroooooooy.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Sure, but it's not him I'm worried about. It's a QB that makes those throws to deep open receivers.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Goff goes balls deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://x.com/Chicago_Jay1/status/1714314036064510432?s=20