Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Morrow posted:

Jordan's best chance to get elected speaker is now, because the longer this goes on the weaker his position gets.

Oh hey turns out I continue to be right about everything ever.

At this point all three top figures in the GOP house have made their pitch for speaker and failed. It's going to be a war between naked ambition and a collective sense of shame to see how long this goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/1714322725097918745

Daaaaayum!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Piell posted:

He's like the designated "I don't want to vote for the leading candidate so I'm parking my vote here for now" person, this happened last time too

Just feels like weird pick.

loving Zeldin.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"This episode of GOP Thrashing was filmed in front of a live studio audience"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has the actual floor vote been scheduled yet

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 5, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lmfao no new Speaker, Jim Jordan got 200 votes exactly, far short of what he needed

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has the actual floor vote been scheduled yet

That was the floor vote

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Morrow posted:

Oh hey turns out I continue to be right about everything ever.

At this point all three top figures in the GOP house have made their pitch for speaker and failed. It's going to be a war between naked ambition and a collective sense of shame to see how long this goes on.

It's a drat shame that they're naked ambition reserves are even bigger than the oil reserves in the middle east.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lolllllll imagine getting called by Sean loving Hannity to try to get you to vote for Jordan

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

lolllllll imagine getting called by Sean loving Hannity to try to get you to vote for Jordan

I mean, in all seriousness he's probably one of the most powerful people in the Republican party right now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The second impeachment inquiry hearing has been taken off the House calendar for two weeks and still hasn't been added back. We're never going to know who the surprise witness that has evidence that will blow the case wide open is at this rate.

They should at least leak the evidence to the NYT, WaPo, or WSJ so they can get Biden out of office and get all the new leaders of each branch sorted out at once

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The second impeachment inquiry hearing has been taken off the House calendar for two weeks and still hasn't been added back. We're never going to know who the surprise witness that has evidence that will blow the case wide open is at this rate.

It's Jim Jordan with a Senor Wences-esque handpuppet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Love that we are back to Jeffries getting more votes than the GOP guy

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
God if I’m an average GOP rep I’m absolutely plotting Gaetz’s downfall over this. Ejecting a speaker for the first time in history followed by humiliating their majority leader in a failed vote and then underlining the dysfunction with the Jordan show, all for literally nothing! Just making the entire conference look dumb as hell.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is it time for them to recess for another week yet?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Silly Burrito posted:

Is it time for them to recess for another week yet?

https://twitter.com/jordainc/status/1714352348993040592

Supposedly more votes coming today after they bitch at each other for a while.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
In other news, that principal that pulled scholarships and told the dancing girl to live in God’s way is going to end up on leave for the rest of the year. That’s bullshit. Should’ve been fired.

https://twitter.com/WAFB/status/1714354801146818787

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bugsy posted:

I mean that’s per Jordan’s guy though. Jordan must know that if he doesn’t get it today it’s much less likely he ever does.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bugsy posted:

The Dutchman must have a captain

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

"It's time for Republicans to come together," says man who split the Republican votes. :laffo:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fifteen of Many posted:

God if I’m an average GOP rep I’m absolutely plotting Gaetz’s downfall over this. Ejecting a speaker for the first time in history followed by humiliating their majority leader in a failed vote and then underlining the dysfunction with the Jordan show, all for literally nothing! Just making the entire conference look dumb as hell.

Not nothing, now Gaetz and McCarthy are going to have a permanent footnote in the history books. Sure, that footnote may include "and then was thrown out of Congress", but no publicity is bad publicity.

I think I'm on board with the Jordan, Eventually theorists, if only because who the hell else.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I'm hearing things about this Zelda person. Seems to be getting a few votes. Might be worth looking into.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Not nothing, now Gaetz and McCarthy are going to have a permanent footnote in the history books. Sure, that footnote may include "and then was thrown out of Congress", but no publicity is bad publicity.

I think I'm on board with the Jordan, Eventually theorists, if only because who the hell else.

Right now, the favorite is actually McCarthy. He's lurking around, practicing how cool his speech is going to be when he oh so very reluctantly returns to save the Republicans. Nobody has high odds of winning, because Republicans are a collection of loving psychos with only 5 or so needed to tank anything. However, Jordan is absolutely hated by way more members than he's able to lose the vote of.

Current order of likely Speaker resolution is:
- McCarthy comes back as the only guy who can even come close to getting enough votes, and everyone else clearly can't win

- Someone makes some sort of limited deal over bills brought to the floor with Democrats to pick up enough votes in conjunction with the majority of Republicans who are fine with it

- Speaker Jordan, his eyes averted

- An official power sharing deal with the Democrats

- Speaker Jeffries

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I mean, they can keep this stalled out until long past the next debt ceiling breakpoint.

The question I have becomes this: given that it seems like a portion of the HFC functionally wants the debt ceiling talks to fail and for the government to shut down - doesn't it serve the interests of the suicide caucus to gridlock on a new speaker to prevent any sort of debt ceiling negotiating to happen at all? It's hard to compromise with 'the enemy' if you're actually incapable of even bringing a debt ceiling bill to the floor at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, they can keep this stalled out until long past the next debt ceiling breakpoint.

The question I have becomes this: given that it seems like a portion of the HFC functionally wants the debt ceiling talks to fail and for the government to shut down - doesn't it serve the interests of the suicide caucus to gridlock on a new speaker to prevent any sort of debt ceiling negotiating to happen at all? It's hard to compromise with 'the enemy' if you're actually incapable of even bringing a debt ceiling bill to the floor at all.

The debt ceiling and the government shutdown are two separate issues

The shutdown is just embarrassing, it will not do lasting damage unless it persists for months. There are factions of the right that want it to happen (libertarians, budget hawks, privatization freaks) but once it does it's more of a slow-motion trainwreck that will give cooler heads a chance to prevail and undo it

The debt ceiling is an economic extinction-level event that could dislodge America from the top of the world economy overnight.There also isn't a "welp this is a mess, let's work on fixing it" period with the debt ceiling, default is instantaneous and then we're in a post-default world (of poo poo). No one wants this to happen. All the money in the world will be lined up against it. It's also much further off in the future (two years, after the next election cycle)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 17, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

haveblue posted:

The shutdown is just embarrassing, it will not do lasting damage unless it persists for months.
It won't do lasting damage to rich people. A couple weeks of something like "no SNAP funding" or "Federally Qualified Health Centers (free/low cost clinic) are shut down" will end up irreversibly hurting a lot of people and back paying after a reopening deal won't fix it

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

haveblue posted:

The shutdown is just embarrassing, it will not do lasting damage unless it persists for months. There are factions of the right that want it to happen (libertarians, budget hawks, privatization freaks) but once it does it's more of a slow-motion trainwreck that will give cooler heads a chance to prevail and undo it
"Lasting damage" here applying solely to the broader economy. On an individual, and at times corporate or community level, that damage can be real (e.g. credit card debt to have both food and housing absent paychecks until it's resolved, whether forced to continue working or not) and immediate. Even that's overly dismissive, given what we know about the impacts of evictions, of longterm debt, of housing, financial, and food insecurity on health and education metrics, etc.

haveblue posted:

The debt ceiling is an economic extinction-level event that could dislodge America from the top of the world economy overnight. There also isn't a "welp this is a mess, let's work on fixing it" period with the debt ceiling, default is instantaneous and then we're in a post-default world (of poo poo). No one wants this to happen. All the money in the world will be lined up against it. It's also much further off in the future (two years, after the next election cycle)
The bolded is not strictly true. As the extremely useful CRS notes, the Treasury Secretary has extraordinary measures available to kick the can down the road. The immediate consequences of a government shutdown are far more severe than the debt ceiling before extraordinary measures are exhausted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracaidas posted:

"Lasting damage" here applying solely to the broader economy. On an individual, and at times corporate or community level, that damage can be real (e.g. credit card debt to have both food and housing absent paychecks until it's resolved, whether forced to continue working or not) and immediate. Even that's overly dismissive, given what we know about the impacts of evictions, of longterm debt, of housing, financial, and food insecurity on health and education metrics, etc.

True, I didn't mean to imply a government shutdown has no impact whatsoever. All these things run on cycles and the exact timing of the shutdown will affect which checks fail to go out and who will have a grace period during which they got their last expected payment and haven't missed one yet

quote:

The bolded is not strictly true. As the extremely useful CRS notes, the Treasury Secretary has extraordinary measures available to kick the can down the road. The immediate consequences of a government shutdown are far more severe than the debt ceiling before extraordinary measures are exhausted.

As I understand it, the extraordinary measures period is typically included in any default deadline estimates, under the (so far consistently correct) assumption that the treasury will begin extraordinary measures when needed regardless of how Congressional negotiations are going. So yes, we hit the debt ceiling, stay there for some time while the treasury quietly scrambles to hold things together, then default some indeterminate time after and that is the point where all hell breaks loose

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 17, 2023

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

This is the only US political thread that I keep up with after a hiatus. Mods, please strike me down for being ignorant and self-absorbed, but this is my read on the US lately:

So the us is aiding israel in palestinian ethnic displacement this week so we can have a middle east presence and make more money off of weapons that kill children?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CmdrRiker posted:

So the us is aiding israel in palestinian ethnic displacement this week so we can have a middle east presence and make more money off of weapons that kill children?

I mean, you've obviously made up your mind about that, so yeah, sure.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

mutata posted:

I mean, you've very obviously made up your mind about that, so yeah, sure.

No, absolutely not! I don't live there and I just react to media around me. Please educate me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CmdrRiker posted:

No, absolutely not! I don't live there and I just react to media around me. Please educate me.

All I do around here is shitpost, so I'll step aside and let region-knowers take over.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Robviously posted:

"It's time for Republicans to come together," says man who split the Republican votes. :laffo:

"Come together" is code for "stop arguing and do what I tell you."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

The HFC doesn't particularly want the talks to fail, they just want to demand heavy concessions in exchange for allowing the talks to succeed.

CmdrRiker posted:

This is the only US political thread that I keep up with after a hiatus. Mods, please strike me down for being ignorant and self-absorbed, but this is my read on the US lately:

The US is aiding Israel because there's a lot more Jewish Americans than Palestinian-Americans, so there's a lot more political pressure to side with Israel. It's similar to how US policy toward Cuba is heavily influenced by the Cuban-American communities of Florida, an important swing state.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just saw on politico that there will _not_ be another vote tonight.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/17/congress/no-more-speaker-votes-tuesday-00122084

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CmdrRiker posted:

The people who know I/P stuff are presumably posting about it in the dedicated thread.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

The US is aiding Israel because there's a lot more Jewish Americans than Palestinian-Americans, so there's a lot more political pressure to side with Israel. It's similar to how US policy toward Cuba is heavily influenced by the Cuban-American communities of Florida, an important swing state.

Isn't Florida a blood-red state now, after having trended that way for the last decade or two?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fuschia tude posted:

Isn't Florida a blood-red state now, after having trended that way for the last decade or two?

Trump won Florida by 3% in 2020.

It isn't obvious to me that the US government is pro Israel because there are more Jewish Americans than Palestinian Americans though. (e.g. see this poll)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I don’t think American Jews are really tipping the scales on the US relationship with Israel. There are about 8 million Jewish Americans spread across a total population of 350 million. That’s ~3%. The US supports Israel because it serves the foreign policy objectives of the US to do so. Also, being Jewish has no relationship to one’s thoughts about Israel, no matter what the American right (and Israel) would have you believe.