Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got the NJ98 in (this spec) and just plugged it in. It feels good! Very stable, the sound is super muted and thokky and nice. I like the front-legend keys a lot more than I was thinking I would. I haven't uploaded anything to the dumb little screen but I do plan on that pretty quick. The factory lubed gateron milky yellow pros feel fantastic to me, coming from cherry mx blacks.

Here's a video of the sound but it sounds a lot more subdued in person (right click + open in new tab for sound):

https://i.imgur.com/RIB15sy.mp4

I don't have much to compare it to but the foam in there seems to be doing it's job well when it comes to dampening sound.

The FN +pgup/dn covers the home/end functions out of the box. This was the only real thing I was wondering how I'd deal with. I don't have a print screen anymore so I guess I have to bind ShareX capture to one of the F keys or FN+an F key.

Overall satisfied for now. We'll see how it does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

once again, keyboards in weird nonstandard layouts. There just is no love for people who likes 'em full-sized and standard layouted.

After using a compact 1800, like the one I linked earlier, I have no desire to go back to a standard fullsize. The additional mouse space from having a smaller sized keyboard makes it worth it, and I haven't missed the one or two keys that get removed to make it smaller. I just put them on a second layer and they're easily accessible for the one time a year I might actually need them. It's just not really worth having a big sized keyboard when you can easily add multiple layers to a smaller one and access to keys that you rarely, if ever, use. The one exception I have is a numpad, which I really want to have for work.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Framboise posted:

https://dangkeebs.com/products/group-buy-meletrix-zoom98-barebones-keyboard-kit

I was leaning toward the Monsgeek, then this came around. Pretty intrigued by it...

Son of a bitch. I thought I was out but they've reeled me back in.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It sucks Keychron has such a bad rep for QC. I really think the K10 seems like exactly what I want for a full size hot swappable wireless keyboard.

Might end up getting one anyway, but specifically getting spooked because besides seeing people post about it the very first review I saw had the Wired/Bluetooth/off switch break immediately so now I'm paranoid that will happen and brick my keyboard.

So far I only have cheapos since I'm indecisive. Currently I have a Redragon Surara with red switches I like a fair bit, especially for being as cheap as it was and an even cheaper havit blue switch thing that I like less but I guess is fine for how dirt cheap it was. I basically want the wireless to easier switch between my work Mac and my personal Windows computer, plus the K10 offers some built in thing where you can switch between multiple devices.

Open to other suggestions.

Edit:
Any reason wireless is so unpopular with mechanical keyboards?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2023

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think some reasons can be inconsistency with wireless connections, or worries about the battery expanding/fire. It can also impact how you mod the case as well. I’m usually a fan of wireless but I like Bluetooth to switch between devices for work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

another reason is that QMK doesn't support wireless natively, and can't due to licensing conflicts

the workaround used by keychron and a few other manufacturers is to have two MCUs, one running QMK, and the other handling wireless duties

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'll get a V6 instead. If I just get an extra USB C cable for it I'd probably be able to swap between my two set ups pretty easily.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

It sucks Keychron has such a bad rep for QC. I really think the K10 seems like exactly what I want for a full size hot swappable wireless keyboard.

Might end up getting one anyway, but specifically getting spooked because besides seeing people post about it the very first review I saw had the Wired/Bluetooth/off switch break immediately so now I'm paranoid that will happen and brick my keyboard.

So far I only have cheapos since I'm indecisive. Currently I have a Redragon Surara with red switches I like a fair bit, especially for being as cheap as it was and an even cheaper havit blue switch thing that I like less but I guess is fine for how dirt cheap it was. I basically want the wireless to easier switch between my work Mac and my personal Windows computer, plus the K10 offers some built in thing where you can switch between multiple devices.

Edit:

The keydous products are (all?) Wireless, both Bluetooth and 2.4ghz. I posted about the nj98 I just bought a few posts ago but there's a lot of different keyboards they make. Shipping was fast with no customs fees to me in Canada. Very happy with the build quality this far.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

wilderthanmild posted:

Edit:

I have a K10 and for what it's worth, never had an issue with it. I don't use it nowdays only because i learned to love smaller keyboards so my daily driver nowdays is a TKL keyboard.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

CBD Corndog posted:

The L3 has 2.4Ghz, sounds like all the Lemokey 'gaming' Keychrons will have it at least.

Speaking of, mine is set to be delivered on Monday. I'll throw up some pictures when it comes in

My L3 got delivered about an hour ago and I'm typing on it now. Its solid, heavy, and has a good clacky sound straight out of the box. Got the blue colourway just to have something different with their custom/Gateron collab 'Jupiter Banana' switches that apparently have a 2 stage spring, and they feel really good. Not too much force required, only 59g instead of the U4T's usual 68g.

Also happy to report that the knob is good, and the spoke is standard so replacements will be easy to find

There's a grill on the front that does nothing, would have been cool as a battery indicator or something :shrug:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CBD Corndog posted:

My L3 got delivered about an hour ago and I'm typing on it now. Its solid, heavy, and has a good clacky sound straight out of the box. Got the blue colourway just to have something different with their custom/Gateron collab 'Jupiter Banana' switches that apparently have a 2 stage spring, and they feel really good. Not too much force required, only 59g instead of the U4T's usual 68g.

Also happy to report that the knob is good, and the spoke is standard so replacements will be easy to find

There's a grill on the front that does nothing, would have been cool as a battery indicator or something :shrug:

That grill is weird, I wonder if it's where the RF can get out of the case or something else. The little thing in it almost looks like a temp/humidity sensor but not quite. I guess it could be the antenna but it's odd it's not in the back.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CBD Corndog posted:

That looks cool. Minor correction are U4t can be 62, 65 or 68 gram switches. (I only use 62 gram).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Corsair K70 Pro Mini Wireless is down to $100 at Newegg today only: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16823816166?Item=N82E16823816166
And down to $90 refurbed on Corsair's website. Man, I wish I didn't need arrow keys, otherwise I'd totally buy it. I guess I'll stick with the 8bitdo board

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 16, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

change my name posted:

Corsair K70 Pro Mini Wireless is down to $100 at Newegg today only: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16823816166?Item=N82E16823816166
And down to $90 refurbed on Corsair's website. Man, I wish I didn't need arrow keys, otherwise I'd totally buy it. I guess I'll stick with the 8bitdo board

I looked at those when I was looking for a new keyboard a little while back. They came in very low for response time in the rtings testing but I need FKeys for most of my keyboards and went with a Logitech G Pro which was more like my old normal TKL and fit my budget. The upside is that the key response speed seemed to help a little in the situations it was bothering me even if the millisecond values should be nearly imperceptible. Downside is the proprietary switches but they're very similar to MX Blues.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

change my name posted:

Corsair has it at 70 new it looks like. I've seen the price drop a little bit over the past few weeks. I'd guess they are replacing it with a hotswap version and dumping old stock.

In personal news related to my inquiry about a split keyboard. I stopped in to a Goodwill today and they just so happened to have a Kinesis Freestyle 2 box on the shelf. Had the keyboard in it, no manual, but eh on that. $10 is all they wanted. So, I'll give this a go for a few days or weeks, see if it is something I want to really invest in, aka upgrade to something like an ErgoDox, Freestyle Edge, or even a Cloud Nine.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rexxed posted:

That grill is weird, I wonder if it's where the RF can get out of the case or something else. The little thing in it almost looks like a temp/humidity sensor but not quite. I guess it could be the antenna but it's odd it's not in the back.

Yeah it’s weird, I’m going to take it apart today to see what that thing is. Getting into the case is non-standard, like a few other Keychron boards it’s held together with 4 Alan key screws on the sides with no screws on the bottom

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I got a keychron q3 pro SE with the extra buttons, and it rules, though i need to find or make an STL to 3d print the non standard buttons

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what switches are they using for the macro keys? looks like choc v2 on the exploded view but it's hard to see

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

low profile gaterons

https://www.reddit.com/r/Keychron/comments/13q40t7/for_those_wondering_about_the_q3_pro_macro_keys/

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Ah cool so you need to go out of your way to buy extra keycaps for your keyboard. Nice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i value the 4 macro keys more than i value the ability to bling out this particular keyboard

I'll just 3d print some if i absolutely get the urge

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

once again, keyboards in weird nonstandard layouts.

It's called ANSI, OP.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's called ANSI, OP.

the bane of my existance. many years ago i worked for a french company and all keyboards in the office were ansi azerty keyboards. terrible stuff

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
:siren: GMK Mictlan is shipping/has shipped :siren:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Blinkz0rz posted:

:siren: GMK Mictlan is shipping/has shipped :siren:
Did you get the novelties too? Those rock

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I feel like it would be a crime NOT to get the Mictlan novelties. That set is just so good.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Lmao at the "wey" keycaps.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I tried ordering one of those new NuPhy keyboards but after a week of no updates to my order I just cancelled it. I’m really looking to get a mechanical keyboard for coding and writing. I have a MacBook that I just leave plugged into my desktop.

I was looking at the Keychrons but there’s so loving many. Are there any thread favorites for users like me?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

I tried ordering one of those new NuPhy keyboards but after a week of no updates to my order I just cancelled it. I’m really looking to get a mechanical keyboard for coding and writing. I have a MacBook that I just leave plugged into my desktop.

I was looking at the Keychrons but there’s so loving many. Are there any thread favorites for users like me?

What's your budget and what keyboard size do you want? Sizes are explained here:

https://switchandclick.com/keyboard-sizes/

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

mariooncrack posted:

What's your budget and what keyboard size do you want? Sizes are explained here:

https://switchandclick.com/keyboard-sizes/

Hello, my budget is in the $100-$200 range and I kinda like the TKL or 75% form factor.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

BUUNNI posted:

Hello, my budget is in the $100-$200 range and I kinda like the TKL or 75% form factor.

From cheapest to most expensive:

V3 ($80). Injection molded plastic. I don't believe it's hotswap.

K8/K8 Pro ($80- $120-ish) Also plastic, but has a hotswap option and wireless capability.

Q3 ($190-ish) Most premium model made of full aluminum, and a hotswap option.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gearman posted:

From cheapest to most expensive:

V3 ($80). Injection molded plastic. I don't believe it's hotswap.

K8/K8 Pro ($80- $120-ish) Also plastic, but has a hotswap option and wireless capability.

Q3 ($190-ish) Most premium model made of full aluminum, and a hotswap option.

All V-series boards are hot-swap. They're just plastic versions of the aluminum Q-series boards. I have a V1 knob version I built from barebones.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BUUNNI posted:

Zoom 75 is up for pre order for $200 on cannon keys. Won’t ship till January but they make better keyboards than Keychron.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My nuphy air took for fuckin ever to ship, like they send them the cheapest tier of China Post or something, I think it took nearly two months.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BUUNNI posted:

Don't sleep on these I love my keydous

https://keydous.store/products/keydous-nj80-keyboard?variant=45758875435328

https://keydous.store/products/nj68-pro-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

change my name posted:

All V-series boards are hot-swap. They're just plastic versions of the aluminum Q-series boards. I have a V1 knob version I built from barebones.

Ah, just went and looked and saw the barebones for $50. Pretty great deal.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BUUNNI posted:

Don't sleep on the 8Bitdo board, the macro pad (you can add up to 4) might be useful for coding and it's only $100: https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo-retro-mechanical-keyboard

It's what I'm using now, sorry Keychron but you've been outjerked by a controller company

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I have too many keyboards but I really wanna buy that 8bitdo board. It would fit perfect with my raspberry pi emulator setup.

Do the keycaps feel high quality?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CRAYON posted:

I have too many keyboards but I really wanna buy that 8bitdo board. It would fit perfect with my raspberry pi emulator setup.

Do the keycaps feel high quality?

They feel great, I love the tall profile. They're not shine-through since it doesn't have RGB but I've never cared about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Thank you for the suggestions! I have a Mac so I’ll look at the ones that come with Mac keys