Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/zoo_bear/status/1714356196877222026

Here's a tweet I can find about at least that specific video being from 2022.

e:
yeah this one's better a better link

unsurprisingly the claim that somehow hamas did this is based on absolute bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Israel says that the hospital were previously warned to evacuate.

Like that's a thing that can be accomplished easily. In a war zone. With hundreds of patients coming in daily. ffs

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well I for one think it's awful decent of Israel to warn the hospital to evacuate before a Hamas rocket misfires there.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 5, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Won't the Israelis just say that Hamas was there and it's their fault for using human shields?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MSF is coming down on "Israel did it" as of now. Given that they are who they are I would imagine they were keeping tabs on the hospital, and there were MSF doctors practicing there when it got hit.

https://twitter.com/MSF/status/1714363236315779572?t=9RVkW0WSJqkvDU1JUVkQmw&s=19

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 17, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They blamed Islamic Jihad last time when they killed those 9 kids at least throw out a different name when you're trying this poo poo come on.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

daslog posted:

Won't the Israelis just say that Hamas was there and it's their fault for using human shields?

Too many innocent people for that excuse to work.

They'll say it wasn't their munitions. It will be a long time before there's proof one way or another.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mannerup posted:

this is the official account of what occurred according to the IDF (and I emphasize, according to the IDF)

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1714366327538794512

First reports of the bombings came 40 minutes before this was supposedly recorded. IDFs propaganda department are a bunch of hacks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're wondering who you should trust between MSF and the IDF, then you're wrong

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
IDF now saying they didn't warn the hospital at all, walking back and retracting their spokesperson's previous claim, and have posted what they claim is evidence that it wasn't them or hamas, but actually PIJ.

Al-Jazeera is saying Israeli did it, as are many other live news streams. Still no actual evidence of Israel having done this has been released, and the only footage released that fits the rough time the hospital was hit does appear to show rockets fired from within Gaza landing on Gaza.

If it turns out the IDF isn't actually responsible for this one, there has been some staggeringly foolish reporting going on. But lies travel faster around the world than truths, or something.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They edited the tweet to remove the videos.

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1714371894521057737

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The notion that the PIJ or Hamas is making rockets capable of that kind of damage out of junkyard scrap and smuggled parts is pretty laughable. Doubly so considering that we have ample evidence of what their munitions are capable of in Israel and they've never come close to what took out a whole hospital like that.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Rakosi posted:

IDF now saying they didn't warn the hospital at all, walking back and retracting their spokesperson's previous claim, and have posted what they claim is evidence that it wasn't them or hamas, but actually PIJ.

Al-Jazeera is saying Israeli did it, as are many other live news streams. Still no actual evidence of Israel having done this has been released, and the only footage released that fits the rough time the hospital was hit does appear to show rockets fired from within Gaza landing on Gaza.

If it turns out the IDF isn't actually responsible for this one, there has been some staggeringly foolish reporting going on. But lies travel faster around the world than truths, or something.

I mean, they're responsible for it regardless of who fired the missile The IDF fired the missile

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you're wondering who you should trust between MSF and the IDF, then you're wrong

Especially when they IDF already straight up told everyone that they were going to start bombing hospitals.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally, if I was a multibillion dollar militant state capable of bombing any building I want at my leisure, I'd make sure to find and stick to one alibi before bombing a hospital and killing nearly a thousand people at once.

Maybe that's the point though; "gently caress you Joe, you're not our boss, you're chained to us, and now your propaganda apparatchiks are going to sell whatever it takes to justify this. Come up with the reason yourself."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

"Bear with us while we scrounge around for a plausible video, we've got our best VFX guys on it"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
"hamas was storing munitions in the hospital which is why it blew the hell up" job done, where's my hasbara check

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Israel always does this - they murdered 9 kids during the last bombardment and blamed it on an Islamic Jihad misfire then walked it back and admitted to it after nobody was paying attention.

Do you have a link to where they admitted it? (just curious, not doubting it)

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
WaPo is reporting a video showing the bombing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/17/israel-hamas-war-news-gaza/#link-UVNAJKOHXRFCNC2Z4IPFMCIL54

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The notion that the PIJ or Hamas is making rockets capable of that kind of damage out of junkyard scrap and smuggled parts is pretty laughable. Doubly so considering that we have ample evidence of what their munitions are capable of in Israel and they've never come close to what took out a whole hospital like that.

If the video I saw is right (big fiery explosion) then it looked like the hospital was destroyed because the initial missile strike detonated something else (possibly stored fuel, oxygen or something else a hospital could reasonably have). If the actual destruction was caused by a secondary explosion the power of the missile doesn't matter that much. That said the video I saw also didn't have a visible rocket which would imply a dropped bomb by the Israelis.

All of the footage is poo poo though and both sides will 100% lie their asses off so you can't really trust anything at the moment.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rakosi posted:

drop dead you loving swine

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Every video I've ever seen of a rocket fired by Hamas looks less impressive than what I can buy across the border in South Carolina.

No I am not exaggerating and yes that might say more about the state of affairs in the Palmetto state.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rakosi posted:

If by "rough time" you mean decidedly after the fact you loving ghoul

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1714369464823857604

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah, if Palestinian militants had their hands on this kind of firepower they wouldn't have sat on it until a week into the war, we would have seen 5-10x the casualties in the initial attack from their terrifying building-leveling rockets.

Neurolimal posted:

Personally, if I was a multibillion dollar militant state capable of bombing any building I want at my leisure, I'd make sure to find and stick to one alibi before bombing a hospital and killing nearly a thousand people at once.

Maybe that's the point though; "gently caress you Joe, you're not our boss, you're chained to us, and now your propaganda apparatchiks are going to sell whatever it takes to justify this. Come up with the reason yourself."

Depressingly, I think this take is more or less correct. Biden trying to tap the brakes even slightly is unacceptable to Netanyahu and his supporters and now they're trying to escalate things enough that the U.S. is forced to go all in.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The US governments official line for now is that bombing the hospital was justified

https://twitter.com/housetrotter/status/1714369451317997805

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
https://twitter.com/yousuf_tw/status/1714367757968384106

This appears to show a missile interception maybe being the cause. No time stamp on this but it does appear to show the hospital explosion from a great distance, and the missile interception footage matches previously released images that had different timestamps, though.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

brugroffil posted:

The US governments official line for now is that bombing the hospital was justified

Justified in exactly the same way that flying a plane into the side of her workplace was justified .

(It wasn't justified)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

NovemberMike posted:

If the video I saw is right (big fiery explosion) then it looked like the hospital was destroyed because the initial missile strike detonated something else (possibly stored fuel, oxygen or something else a hospital could reasonably have). If the actual destruction was caused by a secondary explosion the power of the missile doesn't matter that much. That said the video I saw also didn't have a visible rocket which would imply a dropped bomb by the Israelis.

All of the footage is poo poo though and both sides will 100% lie their asses off so you can't really trust anything at the moment.

Link?

I don't think the hospital was destroyed. I read witnesses on BBC saying that part of the hospital's roof has collapsed and there were broken windows.

The very first reports all mentioned the hospital courtyard being hit, not the building itself.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rakosi posted:

The very fact that the IDF had a spokesperson make a claim that they warned a hospital before it was struck is such a damning piece of evidence I'm not sure why deference is being given to the IDF as if the last thirty years haven't consistently shown them to be unreliable.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/lowkey0nline/status/1714380404210246079?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

lol, Netanyahu's staff were initially taking credit for the attack.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Schrödinger's warning: hospital patients and staff are in a superposition of having and having not been warned about the attack, until someone observes whether there's enough evidence to prove whether the IDF bombed it, at which point the wavefunction will collapse into one of the two possible physical states

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
It wasn't us. However, if it was us, then the hospital has been warned. And if the hospital wasn't warned, then it was still justified.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/lowkey0nline/status/1714380404210246079?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

lol, Netanyahu's staff were initially taking credit for the attack.

After the threats to do it for days plus things like this, including the hastily assembled cover up, you have to wonder exactly who was told about the attack and then firmly asked them what the gently caress they thought they were doing.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The sound of that missile whirring through the air is one of the most horrifying things I've ever heard.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Some of y'all are likely already aware but this "reusing old attack footage" poo poo is practically ubiquitous low-level disinformation and something to be constantly on the lookout for.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They're not saying "the carrier group is there to deter attacks on Israel, while permitting Israel to attack its neighbors," that's correct, they're merely saying "the carrier group is there to deter attacks on Israel," while permitting Israel to attack its neighbors. Is that a meaningful distinction?

Yes, very much so, when it's attributed to their statement.

theCalamity posted:

The problem is that the second one is implying that the event is inherently misleading because the Ministry of Health is ran by Hamas. Reuters’ headline is better: “At least 300 dead in Gaza hospital bombing, local authorities say”

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/least-500-victims-israeli-air-strike-hospital-gaza-health-ministry-2023-10-17/

The implications aren’t as damning as AP’s.

I'm not sure the purpose of the attribution is to imply that the event is inherently misleading because the Ministry of Health is run by Hamas; it is however a significant limitation of the claim when it's not separately verified. Either the Reuters or the revised AP writeup is better than the original AP writeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

brugroffil posted:

It is the official position of this administration that the genocide of Palestinians is justified. So long as they keep supporting Israel, they are supporting a genocide and ethnic cleansing.