Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The Dems aligned with the Dems, their vote hasn't changed since McCarthy's first speaker vote. McCarthy had all the time in the world to reach a deal with Dems to save his Speakership and he did less than nothing, choosing instead to blame them for the impending shutdown. Even after that fiasco he had time to make concessions to the Dems.

So, if he needed Dems to save his speakership, I want to know: (1) how many Dem votes did he need, and (2) what did he do to try and secure those votes? Either the Dems did this or they didn't.

I really think he could have kept the speakership with help from the democrats if he’d done just one thing: refused to allow anything to go forward on the sham Biden impeachment.

The moderate republicans would have been happy, the democrats wouldn’t have to deal with the stupid distraction, and he would have dealt a blow to the influence of the HFC nut jobs.

I got the distinct impression that as soon as he said he’d let the impeachment inquiry go forward, especially without a proper vote, the democrats felt it would be better politically to put the house GOP in disarray if they were going to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

:yikes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ars Arcanum posted:

Lol everything is so loving stupid. While hilarious, it’s also exhausting. The assholes in charge of the country literally cannot get their poo poo together. loving clowns in the stupidest circus on earth.
Schumer and Biden seem to be showing up for work

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...0b-1e64614d946f

"Lamberth granted a request from Powell’s attorney for her to be allowed to self-surrender. He set a surrender date of Jan. 5."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A critical failure of your Trump Vile Eruption saving throw is a fate worse than death.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
dropping your 6 kids off at their grandparents so you can hang the vice president

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Dementropy posted:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...0b-1e64614d946f

"Lamberth granted a request from Powell’s attorney for her to be allowed to self-surrender. He set a surrender date of Jan. 5."

NEVER SURRENDER!!! :byodood:

*surrenders*

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

also when he speaks he's not very nice.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Trump must be super pissed at Jim Jordan not only for LOSING, LIKE A DOG but also for hogging so much of the media spotlight today

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/TamarHallerman/status/1714352413254013206

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1714374772346241167?s=20

quote:

My biggest piece of advice, ladies for the love of God stop drinking tap water. Tap water is effectively birth control because it has birth control in it. Because, well, it’s just how it goes, women pee. And they are peeing out their medication.

“So yes, men also you need to definitely listen up. This is a big heads up to you because also this estrogen in the water that you are drinking, the tap water, is also going to mess with your hormones.

“So to all of the women out there, and also the men who care about the women in their lives, don’t put off having kids until it’s too late. Get off the birth control and please stop drinking tap water.”

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

"IT WAS BASICALLY A SELF GUIDED WALKING TOUR THROUGH THE CAPITOL AND ALSO IT WASNT US, IT WAS FEDS/ANTIFA ALSO KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY AND ITS TIME TO TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY"

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

*me when I'm playing Skyrim and I set my characters Lips value to -20*

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Also guys avoid edamame, lots of estrogen in that stuff!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This Fox News segment brought to you by Aqua Fina.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1714374335287169265

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

"Nestle is one of our advertisers and they want more money for their tap water in a bottle."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gizmCf0mZ4Q

do you know....that 90's of your water, is 100% toxins? who knows what the other 10% is?????

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Fluorine isn't doing it for me anymore doc, I need something stronger.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

So I started blasting

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1714375496278876559
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1714373524150759556

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

cr0y posted:

I can't believe the Democrats did this to us

that's literally what mccarthy has been whining about. party of zero loving shame.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

"Boot heron, drink your own piss, stay high forever." Sage wisdom.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Photo taken before and after telling someone they aren't going to be speaker.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1714377335384822038

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A succinct summation of where we're at: A Republican congressman tells the truth on a news channel, and he will take a hit for that.

Amazing, sadly.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Wow, they really hate his (and the HFC's in general) guts. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

That tie is so ugly was it made from a 90s fanny pack?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just replace "weeaboo" with "Speaker Jim Jordan"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What in the gently caress is that tie? Is he wearing a highlighter marker?

EDIT: Goddamn it, beaten :argh:

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

"Don't drink tap water. It's effectively birth control." - Republicans

"If you get pregnant by any means, we will force you to have the child even if it puts your life at risk." - Also Republicans

I know the tap water thing is bullshit but, I dunno, maybe some women would want the free birth control because of the way Republicans have shaped the world...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Wow Buck is either terminally ill or drunk as hell to be saying all that live on CNN

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

haljordan posted:

Wow Buck is either terminally ill or drunk as hell to be saying all that live on CNN

I'm glad he did!!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Probably easier to get all (212?) Dems to swing to a moderate GOP candidate than to get 5 defectors
Do you really think the Progressive caucus would vote for a Republican? Because I'd find it more likely HFC would vote Jeffries to spite the moderates - who at the same vote decided to do the same to spite the HFC leading to 420 votes for Jeffries, 7 present and Scalise and McCarthy voting for each other

This one gonna caucus with the Dems soon. He's so over this poo poo

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I'm glad he did!!

Yeah make him the speaker lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tek79 posted:

"Don't drink tap water. It's effectively birth control." - Republicans

"If you get pregnant by any means, we will force you to have the child even if it puts your life at risk." - Also Republicans

I know the tap water thing is bullshit but, I dunno, maybe some women would want the free birth control because of the way Republicans have shaped the world...

Perhaps that's the plan. Convince women that they're getting free birth control, then trap them once their wicked ways catch up with them. It's flawless.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Lol buck coming out and saying the obvious, that the GOP is a pack of seditious clowns, is pretty funny.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Anders posted:

Do you really think the Progressive caucus would vote for a Republican? Because I'd find it more likely HFC would vote Jeffries to spite the moderates - who at the same vote decided to do the same to spite the HFC leading to 420 votes for Jeffries, 7 present and Scalise and McCarthy voting for each other

I don't think it would be easy either way, just less likely for a few GOP to flip than for most/all of the Dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wuffles posted:

I really think he could have kept the speakership with help from the democrats if he’d done just one thing: refused to allow anything to go forward on the sham Biden impeachment.

The moderate republicans would have been happy, the democrats wouldn’t have to deal with the stupid distraction, and he would have dealt a blow to the influence of the HFC nut jobs.

I got the distinct impression that as soon as he said he’d let the impeachment inquiry go forward, especially without a proper vote, the democrats felt it would be better politically to put the house GOP in disarray if they were going to go that route.

I honestly dont think any democrats give two shits about any inquiries because the publicity only helps them.

He could have kept his speakership if he had help pass their budget bill, and some other pet projects (Voter reform, healthcare, education, etc).