Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion Channel subscribers received a $10 gift cert code on Friday, so the flash sale will likely be this Tuesday to tie in with the first wave of Janus Contemporaries and the Tod Browning Sideshow Shockers collection (Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic).

Here's what's going to be eligible since the July Barnes and Noble sale if one wants to catch up...

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (4K Combo)
Dim Sum: A Little Bit of Heart (Blu-ray)
Bo Widerberg's New Swedish Cinema (Blu-ray collection) [Includes: Elvira Madigan, The Baby Carriage, Raven's End, and Adelin 31]
Drylongso (Blu-ray)
The Princess Bride (4K Combo)
Walkabout (4K Combo)
The Trial (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
La Bamba (Blu-ray)
Moonage Daydream (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
Don't Look Now (4K Combo)
Videodrome (4K Combo)
Tod Browning's Sideshow Shockers (Blu-ray collection) [Includes: Freaks, The Unknown, and The Mystic]
The Innocent (Janus Blu-ray)
No Bears (Janus Blu-ray)
EO (Janus Blu-ray)

and what will be eligible for sale by the time the November B&N sale starts:

The Others (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
Nanny (Blu-ray)
Jackie Chan: Emergence of a Superstar (Blu-ray)
The Last Picture Show (4K Combo) - also includes Texasville
Mean Streets (4K Combo and Blu-ray)
Tori and Lokita (Janus)
The Eight Mountains (Janus)
Godland (Janus)
La ceremonie (Blu-ray)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion Channel subscribers received a $10 gift cert code on Friday

I just recently subbed, do they send a code to your account email or what?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Drewsky posted:

I just recently subbed, do they send a code to your account email or what?

It's emailed, but I think it's primarily charter customers who did the initial signup.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I stopped wanting all their emails and unsubscribed last year and missed out on at least 1 coupon lol.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January 2024 titles:
The Apu Trilogy (4K Combo Collection) - Jan 2
Blood Simple (4K Combo) - Jan 9
Lone Star (4K Combo and Blu-ray) - Jan 16
Chantal Akerman Masterpieces 1968-1878 (Blu-ray Collection) - Jan 23
Mudbound (Blu-ray and DVD) - Jan 30
Trainspotting (4K Combo and Blu-ray) - Jan 30

The Akerman collection features the four features and one short from the new deleted (!) Eclipse DVD set, Chantal Akerman in the Seventies, plus an additional three short films and Jeanne Dielman. Blood Simple, Lone Star, and Trainspotting are in Dolby Vision on the UHDs while The Apu Trilogy will be SDR. Trainspotting is another laserdisc return.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm refusing to buy Blood Simple until they add in the joke commentary from the DVD.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Almost bought For All Mankind for the second time but I had already added it to my collection on Criterion. Should really get around to watching it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Those January releases are the first time I’ll be doing multiple movies in one month for a loooong time. Akerman, Trainspotting, and Lone Star are definite buys (love me some Sayles).

And speaking of sa(y)les- I picked up the Whit Stillman set, Inland Empire, and for some reason I didn’t have Wings of Desire and so I went ahead and rectified that.

Night of the Hunter is one of those movies I love and I always go “hey I’ll pick that one up the next sale” and that’s been going on for something like 10 years now.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
My apologies if it's been mentioned ITT already, but I can't believe how cute the box for The Princess Bride is. Are there other Criterion releases that have non-standard boxes like that?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

My apologies if it's been mentioned ITT already, but I can't believe how cute the box for The Princess Bride is. Are there other Criterion releases that have non-standard boxes like that?

Quite a few of them come in cardboard fold-outs, particularly the 4K ones but a lot of blurays too. I don't have any others that look like a book, but Do The Right Thing's packaging is built around a companion tome that comes with it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The Del Toro boxset’s packaging is cool, it’s square and folds out in all four directions

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The blu-ray for Videodrome is done up to look like a VHS slipcase, iirc

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Hahaha that's wonderful.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
When you open the packaging for the original Godzilla a little Godzilla head pops out at you

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cool stuff I've noticed...

Lone Wolf and Cub has a secret compartment containing a surprise.

The Celebration has clear plastic with spot color instead of paper for the case slick so that you can see the discs inside.

Time Bandits has a lenticular slipcover on the UHD edition (as well as the first run of the Blu-ray)

The Koker Trilogy is packaged so that each digipak is nestled within another.

True Stories, Ace in the Hole, and His Girl Friday have booklets in the form of folded newspaper prints.

Dr. Strangelove has a faux LIFE Magazine for the essay and a replica mini-bible for the production notes, contained with an envelope marked "PLAN R" [(Only reason why I didn't sell it off when I got the Sony UHD)

Repo Man looks neat under a blacklight.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Pink Flamingos has a slipcover that looks like a brown paper package stamped with Divine's address, with the case itself looking like a portrait of her character, and the booklet is styled like a zine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's the giant Godzilla book that's too big to fit on any shelf

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

also the standalone Godzilla disc has a pop-up book effect

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Repo Man blu has a booklet that's thick enough to have a spine and the whole thing is super nice

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Egbert Souse posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub has a secret compartment containing a surprise.

I've owned this set for years and had no idea about this one

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Are there other Criterion releases that have non-standard boxes like that?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dangerous Person posted:

I've owned this set for years and had no idea about this one

Same here, I just found it after two years thanks to that post.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Riki-Oh is on criterion channel. what a world

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Brexit the Frog posted:

:allears:

edit; gotta be dubbed tho

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Brexit the Frog posted:

And Trash Humpers

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
https://imgur.io/a/z9dGmY5

did i do good for $30 at goodwill

John Romero fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 6, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

John Romero posted:

Yes, thirteen Criterions ~$2.30 each seems good.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

:stonk:

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
based on the age of some of them (old as poo poo or came out after the blu rays started), i can only assume either a local college upgraded or a true freak died

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are they former library copies? I see those go up for sale a lot

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

John Romero posted:

hiroshima mon amour is worth $30 alone

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Blind bought Targets and Short Cuts. I know I shouldn’t be buying blind but I believe in these. Please slap, movies.

Edit: Targets indeed rules, holy poo poo.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 8, 2023

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Targets rules. A prescient commentary on gun culture in America and a great career-end performance by Karloff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone have thoughts on Bringing Up Baby and Holiday? I’ve been in a mood for golden age Hollywood comedies and I really loved The Awful Truth when I watched it a few months ago.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Bringing Up Baby and Holiday? I’ve been in a mood for golden age Hollywood comedies and I really loved The Awful Truth when I watched it a few months ago.

They’re both great. I’d say Bringing Up Baby is the greater great, what with especially that leopard. Watch that one first.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Anybody got any strong opinions on this first slate of Janus Contemporaries?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eight Mountains was good EO was bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bringing Up Baby is obviously a solid screwball comedy classic, but I found Holiday to be a wonderful underrated blind-buy years ago.

Calling it a "dramedy" isn't as accurate, but I think it has more a breezy sort of feel that's more about characters. Of course, where on earth can you go wrong with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant being directed by George Cukor?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Blind bought Targets and Short Cuts. I know I shouldn’t be buying blind but I believe in these. Please slap, movies.

Edit: Targets indeed rules, holy poo poo.

Short Cuts was great. Stacked cast, brilliantly interwoven stories about Angelinos. Lots of similarities to Magnolia but far less melodrama. Feels a lot more natural. Of course with that natural feeling, the arcs of some of these characters are less obvious on an initial viewing. I’m sure this is a film that benefits rewatches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Never bought any Criterion releases before until I found Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Dreams recently at a second hand store. I'm definitely looking forward to finding more Kurosawa out in the wild.