Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Gonna go out on a limb and say we don't need to both sides/wait for confirmation that the country that has been deliberately bombing civilians for the past week deliberately bombed some more civilians. Israel is loving disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I started to type up an effort post with various videos from a bunch of angles showing a rocket failing during one of the barrages (deliberately aimed at civilians^^^^), shortly followed by a large explosion in the strip.

But gently caress, this whole period from the initial massacre is just so loving depressing. And this case? The people are dead, there are violent riots everywhere, and we still have a whole bunch of poo poo ahead of us before things eventually calm back down again.

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP IT YOU ASSHOLES

JUST loving STOP

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I don't think they can hear you, they are still bombing the poo poo out of Gaza right now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

Does Hamas even possess rockets/weapons capable of leveling buildings like a hospital?

This is a good question, though I think the hospital was only somewhat damaged, not levelled. The casualties come from the hospital courtyard where hundreds of people were sheltering.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

Does Hamas even possess rockets/weapons capable of leveling buildings like a hospital?

Sort of. They aren't the Taliban lobbing 107mm rockets at FOBs. They've been supplied with fairly powerful rockets and even SRBMs by Iran (which were on full display during their attack). I don't think it's anything capable of leveling an entire hospital individually, but if one went off and set off a bunch of secondaries then it's feasible.

This was definitely an Israeli airstrike though.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

It wasn't, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How are they getting SRBM into Gaza? I thought Israël had the place tightly locked down.

I’m not doubting it, just curious about the mechanics of it from a professional viewpoint.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

How are they getting SRBM into Gaza? I thought Israël had the place tightly locked down.

I’m not doubting it, just curious about the mechanics of it from a professional viewpoint.

Tunnels of a complexity that would make a Mexican cartel lord nod with approval, allegedly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I have no idea. I do know that they have their own home-grown arms manufacturing base that operates in the aforementioned tunnels beneath the city. If I had to hazard a guess, there's probably a healthy amount of "Red Army carrying disassembled T-34s across the Urals" happening as well.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

boring answer:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/11/middleeast/hamas-weaponry-gaza-israel-palestine-unrest-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

quote:

“Hamas’ tunnel infrastructure is still massive despite Israel and Egypt regularly degrading it,” said Bilal Saab, senior fellow and director of the Defense and Security Program at the Middle East Institute (MEI) in Washington.

“Hamas has received arms from Iran smuggled into the (Gaza) Strip via tunnels. This often included longer-range systems,” said Daniel Byman, a senior fellow with the Transnational Threats Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

“Iran has also been shipping Hamas its more advanced … ballistic missiles via sea, in components for construction in Gaza,” said Charles Lister, senior fellow at the MEI.

Cage fight answer:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Even if covert supply by sea is the more realistic option, I'm just imagining the size and design of tunnel needed to fit a whole rear end SRBM through it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Even if covert supply by sea is the more realistic option, I'm just imagining the size and design of tunnel needed to fit a whole rear end SRBM through it.

Not as big as you'd think, provided you plan on it. Guesstimating some here- figure a box about 3 foot square, 15 feet long if they come in a shipping cannister possibly smaller, if it is something that could feasibly be broken down.

I assume they also enter clandestinely in shipments and supplies, hidden in things like fuel oil trucks or the like; just like smuggling anything, you only need one guy in your pocket or negligent on assignment.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

maybe easier than you might imagine. googling one popular iranian type (not saying this is in use in gaza):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fateh-110

diameter of 0.60m, length of 9m. so pretty thin, but almost as long as two Ford F150's. hope your tunnel doesn't have many tight turns. more likely it'd be disassembled for smuggling however it came in

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

I think it's kinda hosed up that the Israeli PM's twitter account is using this kind of language to invoke support for their attacks

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
It's totally unnecessary for a nation's PM's twitter account. Making a good vs evil narrative is poo poo in a situation where the most likely outcome is somewhere between atrocities and war crimes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUUNNI posted:

I think it's kinda hosed up that the Israeli PM's twitter account is using this kind of language to invoke support for their attacks

W is nodding and mentally high-fiving Bibi.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1714377828131553446

This is worth about as much as any other piece of info right now. (only a 85% chance it's disinfo)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They didn't make the mistake of leaving the timestamps on that one.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
The odds of it being a failed Hamas rocket that "just happened" to directly hit the courtyard of a Hospital inside Gaza, and not a bomb dropped by Israel, who had already announced their intention to bomb that area, and have been doing so for days, is so stupid you guys. Seriously.
Like Israel is just shrugging and going "I dunno, they probably bombed themselves" and you are taking their word for it.

e] Oh also IDF aren't even saying it was Hamas, they're saying it was Islamic Jihad, of course.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 18, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1714446569775173872

US seems to be going out of its way to say sometimes hospitals just explode mysteriously.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The odds of it being a failed Hamas rocket that "just happened" to directly hit the courtyard of a Hospital inside Gaza, and not a bomb dropped by Israel, who had already announced their intention to bomb that area, and have been doing so for days, is so stupid you guys. Seriously.
Like Israel is just shrugging and going "I dunno, they probably bombed themselves" and you are taking their word for it.

e] Oh also IDF aren't even saying it was Hamas, they're saying it was Islamic Jihad, of course.

Gee goly, I don't know! Maybe it was a gas leak?!?

Edit: to be clear, I agree 100%

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mrmcd posted:

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1714446569775173872

US seems to be going out of its way to say sometimes hospitals just explode mysteriously.

Biden was pointedly avoiding saying Iran had a hand in this mess, he's not going to blame this on anyone without really firm evidence.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If it does turn out to be a failed rocket, the Israeli right is going to take the absolute wrong lesson from it. It's going to be "see, even when it's not us the world will blame us anyways, might as well pull out the few remaining stops."

This instead of going the extra step further and asking themselves why everyone with at least one eyeball and two brain cells was so quick to assume they bombed a hospital full of self-created refugees on purpose or out of callous negligence.

The answer is not "antisemitism"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gaza has a population just a little over 2 million people. A population of that size is going to require a scale of logistics that is going to be essentially impossible to inspect 100% faultlessly all the time every time.

Whether by land or sea or air, enterprising persons are going to be able to get things smuggled in, just by the sheer scale of materials that must enter and exit Gaza.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The thing that really gets me about the theory of it being a Palestinian weapon is that if Hamas or IJ had anything vaguely that powerful, they would have used it in the initial attack when they knew they were going to saturate Iron Dome. It would have been the perfect time to put it into an actually valuable target. Not now, when rocket fire has become relatively desultory and the Israeli defences are functioning again.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Promised Podcast just put out a special episode offering the perspective of a Palestinian Israeli on the last week. Definitely worth a listen as I've not seen similar elsewhere. Sally Abed is a Palestinian-Israeli activist seeking election in Haifa and she describes a visceral fear of a new Nakba of potentially unlimited scope—in Gaza and West Bank, obviously, but even to those 1.8 million Palestinian Israelis who have citizenship. There've been a wave of arrests targeting anyone who makes statements even remotely expressing solidarity with the people of Gaza, there's fear of random acts of violence from Jews against anyone perceived on the street to be Arab, and an unnuanced demand for revenge even from left-wing Israelis. Talk about how the ongoing apartheid regime could have been a causal factor in the attack elicits condemnation as justifying the raid.

Separately, I saw that Blinken was asked about conditions put on aid to Israel to rein in the IDF's violence against civilians and their homes, to which he responded that Israel has an absolute right of self-defence and the United States would never imagine conditioning aid under any circumstances. What a sharp contrast with aid to Ukraine... In the one case, you have a relatively small, poor state scrabbling against an obviously existential threat from (what remains of) one of the world's two superpowers. In the other, you have relatively large, prosperous state engaging a tiny terrorist organization which is fundamentally incapable of posing a significant threat outside the borders it's been corralled into (even last week's raid, atrocious and shocking though it was, hinted at no existential threat and was utterly unachievable without one of the most dire intelligence and military failures in history—Hamas may possess the will, but it obviously lacks the means). Ukraine is burdened with extensive conditions imposed by its suppliers, yet Israel, a country fully capable of funding its own defense, receives none. Publicly, at least.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm kind of wondering if the Speaker deadlock in Congress was a factor in the time frame for Hamas or if that's just a coincidence. I'm leaning towards coincidence because this action obviously took a lot of premeditation, but I do still wonder if the Go button was pressed on an accelerated basis once Gatez kicked McCarthy out and it became obvious that this would become a drawn-out stalemate chaining American hands.

Really, I'm kind of wondering to what degree American incapacity to call upon pursestrings right now factors into either side's playbooks

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The thing that really gets me about the theory of it being a Palestinian weapon is that if Hamas or IJ had anything vaguely that powerful, they would have used it in the initial attack when they knew they were going to saturate Iron Dome. It would have been the perfect time to put it into an actually valuable target. Not now, when rocket fire has become relatively desultory and the Israeli defences are functioning again.

The theory I saw floated was rocket misfire into an ammo dump. Which, yeah sure, that'd be enough to do it.

I still think it's 95% likely that it was the IDF.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
us statement on the strike remains conspicuously non-committal wrt who is repsonsible

https://twitter.com/marquardta/status/1714467357035282848

Handsome Ralph posted:

The theory I saw floated was rocket misfire into an ammo dump. Which, yeah sure, that'd be enough to do it.

whatever happened it was 0% a rocket landing in an ammo dump [in a courtyard of a hospital packed with people]

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, generally speaking, ammo dumps don't go up in one big floof.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, generally speaking, ammo dumps don't go up in one big floof.

Yeah they go more like a firework factory

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol yeh, the theory so implausible that even the IDF aren't trying it

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
can’t believe y’all falling for this jihadist misinformation. that wasn’t a hospital, that was a *looks over shoulder at the dude w the cue cards* that was a Hamas fire base, I mean Islamic Jihad fire base. Besides, so loving what if them ayyrabs get killed. We need the jews to have Israel so Jesus will come back and rapture us. Whose side are you on? Listen I know it’s a tragedy but maybe they should have picked up paper clips and stabbed their Hamas overlords to death. Really if you think about it, there are no civilians down there anyway. They don’t believe in Jesus, they are complicit or directly supportive of terrorism, and *whispers* they’re savages. All of them are. We have to support our ally, Israel. *claps hands and stomp feet* we *claps* must *claps* support *claps* Israel, our greatest ally ever…except for that one time.

Please stop letting the liberal media tell you how to think and feel. Thank you. Pray for peace in the Middle East. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers y’all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

The theory of someone making poo poo up.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Don't Ask posted:

It wasn't, though.

It wasn't what?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
arent the rockets hamas shoots at isreal pretty small anyways? no way they would be able to cause 500+ casualties in 1 pop

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ded posted:

arent the rockets hamas shoots at isreal pretty small anyways? no way they would be able to cause 500+ casualties in 1 pop

The usual Hamas rocket has trouble breaking double-digit deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IDF is saying the propellant is what caused the explosion. Some of the failed Russian S-300 launches caused fairly big explosions, so I suppose it's plausible.