Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Yusin posted:

This program seems basic but cool

https://www.dungeonscrawl.com/

I just went to make something in the free version of dungeon scrawl, and it ended up being too big a file so I had to change the scale. It didn't line up with the battle map grids on Roll20. Luckily I was just making a layout for a treasure hunt without need for the grid to snap perfectly, but just a heads up to experiment with that early.

Otherwise, it is a super useful basic tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

road potato posted:

I just went to make something in the free version of dungeon scrawl, and it ended up being too big a file so I had to change the scale. It didn't line up with the battle map grids on Roll20. Luckily I was just making a layout for a treasure hunt without need for the grid to snap perfectly, but just a heads up to experiment with that early.

Otherwise, it is a super useful basic tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCWfvzuUSA

I watched this pretty recently, covers some good tools out there

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

During session 0 we joked that the new PCs could start a basketball team because they're all 6' and up.

Slow at work so I'm working on some house rules for playing basketball.

quote:

Court size: 100ft x 50ft

How to score points: Each team has a net. As a player, hit the enemy net (AC10) with the Take Shot action. Successful Take Shot actions award the attacker's team 2 points, or 3 points if the shot was taken 20ft or more from the net.

How to win: A team must have more points than the opposing team at the end of Round 6 to win. Alternatively, the first team to reach 15 points wins.

Actions

Take Shot: action (if you possess the ball), attempt to throw the ball in the enemy net. Make a throw attack against the enemy net. You suffer a -2 penalty to your attack roll for every enemy player within 5ft of you or within 5ft of the net. If the attack fails, the ball moves in a straight line from the net in a direction of the enemy team's choosing, up to 15ft (this movement can trigger Intercept Pass). If the attack succeeds, the attacker's team gains 2 points, or 3 points if the shot was taken 20ft or more from the net, and the enemy team Resets. Range 15/60.

Pass Ball: action (if you possess the ball), pass the ball to a friendly player. The ball moves in a straight line to a friendly player within 30ft.

Steal Ball: action, you can attempt to steal the ball from an enemy player within 5ft of you who possesses the ball. Make an unarmed attack against that player with disadvantage. If you hit, you gain possession of the ball. A player can only be targeted by a single Steal Ball action each time they gain possession of the ball.

Intercept Pass: reaction, when a player within 5ft of you attempts the Pass Ball action, or when the path a ball takes from the Pass Ball action passes through your occupied square, you may attempt to intercept it. You and the player you are intercepting make opposed athletics checks. If you succeed, you intercept the ball causing it to move up to 15ft in a direction of your choosing. If you won the opposed check by 5 or more, you can choose to gain possession of the ball instead.

Block Shot: reaction, when a player within 5ft of you attempts the Take Shot action, you may attempt to block it. Oppose the shooting player's attack roll with an athletics roll. If you succeed, you block the ball, causing it to move up to 15ft in a direction of your choosing. If you won the opposed check by 5 or more, you can choose to gain possession of the ball instead. Only one player may attempt the Block Shot reaction in response to a Take Shot action at a time.

Stop Player: reaction, when an enemy player attempts to move within 5ft of you, make an unarmed attack against them. On a hit, instead of dealing damage you reduce their movement to 0.

Catch Ball: bonus action, gain possession of a ball that is within 5ft of you and not possessed by another player.

Special rules

The Ball: At initiative 1, if the ball is not possessed by any player, the team that did not possess the ball last Resets.

Reset: The resetting team chooses a friendly player and teleports them within 5ft of their friendly net. That player gains possession of the ball.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 5, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm struggling to keep my campaign going due to gradually losing players to the worst of hazards, real life. :(

Originally I was five players, but now I'm down to three, but the past couple of weeks its basically just been two.

Not sure if I should just adjust things to work with basically just 2 players, try to recruit more people potentially strangers from outside my friend group, or maybe try to reschedule to a different day around with whose available.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm struggling to keep my campaign going due to gradually losing players to the worst of hazards, real life. :(

Originally I was five players, but now I'm down to three, but the past couple of weeks its basically just been two.

Not sure if I should just adjust things to work with basically just 2 players, try to recruit more people potentially strangers from outside my friend group, or maybe try to reschedule to a different day around with whose available.

Rescheduling is usually the best option. Adding people to the group is really vibes based, and sometimes it’s hard for people to mesh, especially when the OG players have their own in jokes and ways of playing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Use https://whenisgood.net to find the ideal time each week

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Looking to get some help with a magic item. I've got an Eldritch Tattoo and my DM, being reasonable, has allowed me to pay to upgrade it from a +1 modifier to a +2 modifier. Is there any way I can do this in D&D beyond? I did some googling and found this post that shows that those values exist... somewhere? https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/homebrew-house-rules/146384-how-can-i-make-a-feat-that-adds-a-1-to-attack-and but I have no idea how to find that and change it. Anyone know?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Looking to get some help with a magic item. I've got an Eldritch Tattoo and my DM, being reasonable, has allowed me to pay to upgrade it from a +1 modifier to a +2 modifier. Is there any way I can do this in D&D beyond? I did some googling and found this post that shows that those values exist... somewhere? https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/homebrew-house-rules/146384-how-can-i-make-a-feat-that-adds-a-1-to-attack-and but I have no idea how to find that and change it. Anyone know?

You can always add the +1 hit and damage bump to your attack in the interim while you figure out the other stuff. Customize your attack to add 1 to your hit and damage and it should work fine as a temporary solution.

EDIT: You should be able to make a homebrew item that basically duplicates the text of the eldritch claw (if you have a subscription, I think you can create a new item with the Eldritch Claw Tattoo as a base), and then just increase the bonuses by one, as laid out in the post you linked. This is pretty straightforward, depending on the type of account you have with beyond. If you have free account like me, you can do the same, but you start from scratch and have to do some copy and pasting to create the upgraded version of your tattoo.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 8, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Legit Businessman posted:

You can always add the +1 hit and damage bump to your attack in the interim while you figure out the other stuff. Customize your attack to add 1 to your hit and damage and it should work fine as a temporary solution.

Ah, thanks! That's probably good enough.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Ah, thanks! That's probably good enough.

Also, if you look at the homebrew magic items on beyond, you can find something like this:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/6785810-eldritch-long-claw-tattoo-of-striking

With the bare minimum of searching! I think that's exactly what you are looking for.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Amazon is having a prime day today and DnD books are marked down to $17- $25. Decent sale if you have any gaps you'd like to fill.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1591-bastions-and-cantrips-build-a-base-and-test

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but it looks like base building mechanics are coming to the revised core rulebook

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

change my name posted:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1591-bastions-and-cantrips-build-a-base-and-test

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but it looks like base building mechanics are coming to the revised core rulebook

:wth:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

change my name posted:

I did look into this and my main complaint is that the math for Bastion Points seems VERY eye-bally and not very good. I mostly was doing napkin math, but here's what I came to conclude:

Assuming you get every addition to your base at level, AND pick up a better die at every breakpoint you can get one, AND issue specific orders instead of Maintain every time the game says you should take a Bastion Turn, AND take the max amount of Bastion Turns recommended (8/level), you end up with a total of ~1600 Bastion Points, taking the averages of those die.

This is all well and good, but the breakpoints between the uncommon and rare is the real hurdle - when you get this, you're probably hoping to fill some holes in your magic item loadout, and might already have a +1 weapon if your DM has been very generous with you. But assuming you save, you're not getting a single +2-or-equivalent item until Level 10, and it nearly bankrupts you, meaning you don't even get to cash out with anything fun in earlier levels where magic items are meant to be bigger deal pickups. By the end, you're throwing so many dice that the real limitation is the once-at-level-up cashout rather than how many points you have, because the dice both get bigger and you get more of them, so this is extremely weighted towards late Tier 3/Tier 4 shenanigans... except all of the kickers of the Bastion are more useful for Tier 2/early Tier 3. There's basically no point where 'all' of the Bastion's facilities matter, which is kind of a bummer, even before you get into the fact a lot of the tricks are useless (You can make a Book! is it a backup spellbook? Hard to say! The work of art created by your guildhall reads as literally worthless compared to the other Guildhall effects, and so on.)

If I was going to pitch this to my group, I'd probably do any and possibly all of the following:
- All facilities start at d6, and how much BP they earn is by level, not by facility, so everything scales up to d8 at Level 9, etc. Probably max it at d10 because d12 would get unwieldy.
- Maintain is "one dice step down" instead of always sitting at a d4, so d4 at 5, d6 at 9, d8 at 13. Even then I'm not sure if it should only be "d6 to start, d8 at 13", because d4s just feel extremely bad when you look at the magic item scaling.
- Introduce specific rules for magical communication and/or pit stops. i.e. Sending or other terms of long-term magical communication.
- Reduce the Rare tier to 150 or 200 (I haven't done the math on which would be better paced with the d6 dice) so that you're not spending your first 5 levels of having a Bastion saving up to get one (1) +2 Item.
- Maybe allow a communal pool for if players are smashing their Bastions together into one big megafort.

Some of the other facilities would need a rewrite/second pass, but I do like what they're doing here, in theory, if they actually work on the math/effects/general scaling.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 11, 2023

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

change my name posted:

We were talking about it in the playtest thread, the cantrips got a little more attention there I recall.

Monathin posted:

I did look into this and my main complaint is that the math for Bastion Points seems VERY eye-bally and not very good. I mostly was doing napkin math, but here's what I came to conclude:

It is playtest stuff, so hopefully it will get cleaned up like you want.

Yusin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 11, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does anyone have a suggestion for fun spelljamming alt rules? I've heard running ship combat as-written in the new book is pretty boring. I wanted to run a one-shot based on this "willing dystopia" post where the party is sent to an asteroid colony, only to discover it's been semi-taken over (mostly willingly) by an alien entity that both helps but also enthralls the populace: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/177dnzk/dystopia_dat_topia_you_were_made_to_be_ruled/

I was thinking it might be fun to have it end with them driving the monster out and having to defeat it with their ship because of how massive it is

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also, with us on the cusp of official release: does anyone have hands on the new Planescape set, and if so, how loving dire is it

The previews make it seem like it's been boiled down to one extended riff on PS Torment, which I think is what everyone was afraid of given the inclinations of the c-suite

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

change my name posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for fun spelljamming alt rules? I've heard running ship combat as-written in the new book is pretty boring. I wanted to run a one-shot based on this "willing dystopia" post where the party is sent to an asteroid colony, only to discover it's been semi-taken over (mostly willingly) by an alien entity that both helps but also enthralls the populace: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/177dnzk/dystopia_dat_topia_you_were_made_to_be_ruled/

I was thinking it might be fun to have it end with them driving the monster out and having to defeat it with their ship because of how massive it is
The new book barely has ship combat rules is the main thing. They mostly just tell you to handwave it away until the ships come in for boarding action. I'd check out Wildjammer and Captains and Cannons as a starting point. Wildjammer is a bit too crunchy imo and goes too far in the opposite direction from WoTC SJ where there's a little too much emphasis on ship combat, but it does have lots of meaningful officer actions for characters to do in combat instead of just the guy in the chair running everything. That's also a problem that C&C has but its otherwise a nice lightweight combat system.

For my game I ended up homebrewing a hybrid system between those two books, 5e Ghosts of Saltmarsh, the 2e Spelljammer book, and salvaging what I could from the 5e book. Its like 70% Wildjammer though, its a good foundation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, with us on the cusp of official release: does anyone have hands on the new Planescape set, and if so, how loving dire is it

The previews make it seem like it's been boiled down to one extended riff on PS Torment, which I think is what everyone was afraid of given the inclinations of the c-suite

I haven’t seen any talking heads make videos about it, so it’s probably garbage.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

My copy gets here tomorrow supposedly, so I'll at least be able to give it a skim then!

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

i wrote up a massive stupid post but i think i'll just try to be brief instead because when it comes to planescape i wind up rambling and i'm utterly incapable of separating what I know from Campaign Setting/Factol's Manifesto/Uncaged into their respective books, it's just all Planescape up in the brain, and that's without getting into all the stuff that's not even from the books but fan stuff that's commonly used. the fairness of comparing a bunch of old books and these new ones is ??? but i feels what i feels. and it feels like the 5e stuff just... lacks specificity. sigil seems less grungy and dangerous, the factions feel like they've had their rough edges sanded down. bleakers are practically saintly now and don't seem to have Insanity Issues anymore. i'm #1 bleaker stan and I still felt like it was a bit much. Sinkers "don’t recklessly hasten destruction" which is just Wrong to read. It'd be fine if they had the Perserver/Maintainer/Sinker split, but the lack of page space can really be felt here. Can't get to that kind of stuff with the space allotted when you have to write about all the gatetowns, too. My hope for there finally being a decent writeup that makes the Mind's Eye interesting was dashed, they're just as meh as the previous iterations and absolutely not worth giving up the Sign and Godsmen for. maybe next decade's attempt will nail it.

There is some nifty new stuff. The art's real good (though a lot of it feels too clean and fancy and frankly kinda sci-fi, ymmv on that), though it's a real shame DiTerlizzi is only for the special edition covers or whatever that is. Some of the new locations and NPCs are cool, the new rilmani are a HUGE improvement visually, I like the mysterious damage to the base of the spire, there's some fun scenarios to poach from the adventure. The PST references/rips are annoying at best and ugh at worst, but are thankfully not super common. But really the near utter lack of cant is inexcusable. There's not even a one page sample of the most important/iconic bits of it. There's one NPC in the adventure that yells some at you, which I guess just no one in your group gets to fully understand if none of you are familiar with ancient gaming materials already. Mysterious decisions. I can understand (but disagree with!!) not writing the books in that voice, but ya gotta have some more in there somewhere. They just sorta mention cant's used somewhere in the city sometimes and that's about it.

idk what someone who hasnt read/played planescape stuff before will entirely pull from the books, if it'll hook them like the old stuff hooked me. maybe it will. planescape is cool, there's still a lot of the cool stuff in the books. but reading it left me with a lot spots where i was thinking "if I didn't have a bunch of extra background knowledge this wouldn't be much to work with." or "wow this is like a sliver of the info and it's not even the interesting part." or "where did all of shemeshka's loving personality traits and mannerisms and connections disappear to"

actually that reminds me of the most important part: it's like actually active transphobia to make shemeshka the poster girl for the adventure but not hire amber stewart to write anything. wotc should be ashamed

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What exactly stops people from just using the 2e books instead besides being out of print?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
How are the latest set of converted monster stat blocks in Planescape? Because I’ve really been focusing on generating my own and it’s even easier with the old stats as a startng point, so the utility of purchasing the stats rests heavily on the design choices.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Pollyanna posted:

What exactly stops people from just using the 2e books instead besides being out of print?

Nothing. Even being out of print shouldn't stop you since a lot of reprints are available through DMsguild.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

for the fluff? pretty much nothing at all. the 5e stuff is in a slightly different timeline (faction war didnt happen/sarin and co. are still factols, but Mind's Eye exists) than the 2e stuff. you can move most stuff forward or back 1:1 and most other things are a simple tweak. i wrote a billion words but ultimately my complaints are "the vibes are off :/" and "there should be more stuff". for the mechanics? well 2e mechanics are often horrific so you would probably want to homebrew something else anyway. unless your idea of fun is having a 5% chance every day to be a useless lump because you picked bleaker.

also they're not actually out of print anymore, they started selling 'em again a few months back i think. does any of that money go to anyone that actually wrote the things? no idea

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

What's the status of the older editions regarding online pdfs anyway? Pretty much everything is on archive.org but I don't know the legality of it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Probably not legal but like who cares?

Hasbro will be fine.

If you must pay for it dmsguild probably has it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pollyanna posted:

1) mechanically, 5e is much sounder and easier to use and better playtestes. Just better designed overall.

2) 5e materials are very easy to use and integrated with d&d beyond etc. Using 2e materials you have to reverse engineer them and that can be a lot of work.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Hasbro will be fine.

Yeah, I kind of figured but it was pretty funny when I googled "d&d planescape pdf" archive.org was higher in the results than dmsguild and drivethroughrpg. I'm glad that they haven't gone super hard or trying to take older stuff down, atleast yet.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dexo posted:

Hasbro will be fine.

Yeah, just don't post links to stuff because then I gotta be a party pooper and delete them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you're worried about legality almost all the books are up on Drivethrurpg.com and have been for like 20 years.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/publisher/44/wizards-of-the-coast/category/2045/planescape?keyword=planescape

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I personally have found the new Planescape books to be the best of 5e so far, I can’t think of another book for from 5e I have liked more. Its biggest difference from the original books is that it’s not written in Sigil Cant so is much more readable at a glance.

Should point out the Torment reference in the Adventure is just the start. You wake up in the Mortuary and are greeted by Morte. Morte after talking to you explicitly won’t follow the party cause he has to wait for someone else. After leaving the Mortuary the plot goes in an entirely different direction from Torment.

Now that the book is officially out I plan to do a dive into it over at Fatal and Friends at some point.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Oh also I have yet to look at it, but a new thing called the Adventure Atlas: The Mortuary is out on Beyond. From what someone else it's a dive on the Heralds of Dust and their base.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/sourcebooks/adventure-atlas-the-mortuary

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Is this a good thread to talk about magic items? I find it kind of annoying how vague the dmg is about making your own magic items. And after playing baldur's gate i've really been into the idea of consumables and items that wouldn't work as well in a video game but be okay at the table for my players.

I want to make a shield that can also be placed on a wall to make a door. This is wicked strong, except that it's sentient and "respects other doors". So if you place it on a locked room it will also be locked. It's not stealthy either: the door will be visible from both sides. You can use this a proficiency bonus amount of times a day. You also get the ability to push with the shield and if you push them into a non living surface with a room behind it you can push the creature into it. This seems wicked strong but in a fun way for everyone.

I wanted an item that encourage movement in the battlefield. So I made a silence arrow. You shoot an arrow and it makes a silence spell. The duration is how far away the target square is (or distance/5 if you hate squares). This pushes the casters out of their comfort zone. I was very surprised about how good silence was in bg3 and I thought this would be cool (maybe a little underwhelming).

sorry if you saw my post on reddit about this

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 18, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m going to put in a sleeve of infinite cookies that makes you one inch narrower in width every time you eat one. Call ‘em Thin Mints.

Don’t go into the negatives.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Okay?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That is to say yes, you can talk about magic items here. :v:

IMO just stick them in if it make sense or if you wanna see it in action. Can’t hurt that badly.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Xanathar's has better guidelines for making magic items since the DMG is so vague, but it is still vague and it will always be up to the DM to approve whatever approach the campaign will allow. You will never have a consistent means of standardizing this, though - even the Artificer's Replicate Magic Item as written juggles differing rarities at different level thresholds. Everything needs to be on a per case basis, so there is no value to actually setting anything in stone rules-wise.

That being said, the arrow you are talking about is totally fine and I'm pretty sure I've seen it used by Drow in modules. Subtle Spell could still Dispel them so they aren't without counter. The shield you are proposing is absolutely bananas broken and either it would need to be rebalanced or the DM is going to start purposefully nerfing it with doors all over the place.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

for the fluff? pretty much nothing at all. the 5e stuff is in a slightly different timeline (faction war didnt happen/sarin and co. are still factols, but Mind's Eye exists) than the 2e stuff.

Okay that's actually kind of a killer for me because lol naked retconning. People were annoyed with Faction War because the follow-up never got published, not because it was a bad idea on its face.

lol and lmao at bringing Darkwood back and treating the Fated like they're legitimate in the environment of 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I find making up items is almost always more fun in play than giving out items from the books. Here's some magic items from my game:

quote:

The Knight's Gift
Longsword, legendary (requires attunement)

When used, this weapon grants a +2 to attack and damage rolls.

The sword has six charges. The sword regains 1d4-1 charges (minimum 1) each long rest. The charges can be used to perform the following abilities:

Move. (1 charge) As a free action, move to a grid square one knight's move away. This does not provoke opportunity attacks and ignores difficult terrain. You may make multiple moves in a single turn at the cost of one charge each.

Fork. (2 charges) As a reaction, when a creature leaves your threatened area or you miss with an attack roll, immediately make an attack on another creature within 5 feet.

Pin. (1 charge) When you hit with an attack roll, you may mark the target, invoking fear that retreat is more dangerous than to stand fast. A pinned creature must pass a Wisdom saving throw against your Spell Save DC to move on its turn. If the creature moves successfully, you may make an opportunity attack as normal, even if the creature disengages.

This finely crafted sword, legends say, was wielded by the mortal avatar of Torm during the Time of Troubles. According to some, it was forged by the Lady of Strategy and given to him as a gift. Whether the Red Knight gave it as a token of friendship or something more intimate is a subject of fierce debate among theologians.

quote:

Devilskin Gloves
Gloves, rare (requires attunement)

When used, these gloves grant a +1 to attack and damage rolls.

While wearing these gloves, you gain 1 ki point when you critically hit with an attack, or if an attack critically misses you.

quote:

The Last Resort
Dagger, uncommon

This dagger stores a single spell cast into it, holding it until the moment it delivers a fatal wound to a creature. When triggered, the stored spell is cast upon the targeted creature, triggering at the precise moment of death.

Currently, this blade has the spell Banishment stored within.

These daggers are traditionally used by members of Elturel's knightly classes during perilous missions to the Mere of Dead Men. Should the worst happen and a knight find themselves facing certain death, daggers such as these, loaded with spells such as Gentle Repose or Create Bonfire, can mean the difference between a heroic and final death or an eternity as an undead thrall.

They don't normally look this evil though.

quote:

Ring of Hatred
Wondrous item, Cursed, legendary

This ring imbued with hatred of a particular individual or group. When donned for the first time, the wearer instantly becomes aware of the creature that is the target of the ring's hatred. The ring grants +3 to attacks, damage rolls, and the spell save DC of spells targeted at the object of hated.

The ring can cast Locate Creature once per day, targeting a creature it hates.

Cursed. This ring is cursed and cannot be removed from the finger except by a remove curse spell or similar magic. If the wearer does not pursue the destruction of the ring's target, they begin to bleed from a wound under the ring, losing 1d4 hit points per minute. The bleeding stops if the wearer resumes pursuit. Each time the ring is donned and each week it remains on the wearer's finger, the wearer must pass a Wisdom save (DC14) or internalise the ring's hatred as their own.

The target of this ring's hatred is Spider--also known as Lord Octavius--his friends, his allies, and any descendants of the same.

This black adamantium band is finely inlaid with silver filgree and red enamel on its exterior. Its interior is lined with what appears to be ruby, and though it appears smooth, running your finger over it draws blood, near painlessly.

Generally I like just winging it with items, I find when you make them up yourself it's a lot harder to gently caress up your campaign since you know how they work and are more likely to remember players have them and plan accordingly.