Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

socketwrencher posted:

Just wondering if anyone knows how strict things are these days in this regard. Also, if a 90 extension to a tourist visa without leaving Japan is possible (IIRC it used to be).

There were reforms in September 2019 that made a lot of the "suspicion of working" moot. The big one was that Immigration/the Ministry of Justice will no longer process Certificates of Eligibility in Japan unless it's "extraordinary circumstances" (which ironically ended up happening a lot during the COVID border closures, but basically means that most of the time they won't flip a tourist visa to residence status unless it's going from tourist to spouse, which they still do afaik).

The second big one is that they will no longer process CoEs in a country in which the holder doesn't have an existing status of residence already. This closed up the "visa run" loophole in which someone would get their CoE from their employer that they were working under the table for, dash to South Korea (the nearest country), spend the weekend and change there getting the visa entered into their passport, then fly back to Japan and be work-legal right away. So an American would have to go to Guam at the bare minimum instead of SK (unless they were already working in SK, and if they were, it would be trivial for the employer to mail the CoE to them in SK anyway).

The combination of these basically killed visa runs for people working illegally. They were a lot more lax before June 2012 when they changed all the residence cards from "Alien Registration Document" (外国人登録説明書) but they weren't blind to abuses of the system that mounted more and more over the next 7 years.

That having been said, what Zettace said:

Zettace posted:

If you are a citizen of Austria, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, or UK you can apply for a visa exemption extension of 90 additional days.

But yeah, if you stay in Japan for 3 months, leave and then come back a couple of days later under a new 90 day visa exemption it will raise flags for the border officials and it should.

Edit: That doesn't mean they'll reject you but you may be questioned on how you are supporting yourself and may need to provide proof that you are in fact just a tourist (ie: itinerary, hotels booked in various locations, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

How to do I get rid of house dust

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

I'll be hitting up Hiroshima, Ehime, and Kochi this summer. About half our accomodationa are campsites, so it should be good times drinking cold beer and eating grilled meat amidst the early evening din of the cicadas.

I also wanna go hike Mt Fuji before the foreign tourist crowds return, and especially since the last time I did it 14 years ago I was a fat gently caress. It will necessitate a separate trip, but I can bang that out in two days since I live a couple hours drive away.

How was Kochi.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

mongolia posted:

How to do I get rid of house dust

Crack a window when you clean. Apparently if you are in the borders of Japan, it guarantees that and and all stray dust you sweep immediately funnels out through that cracked window. It works 100% of the time.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Zettace posted:

If you are a citizen of Austria, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland, or UK you can apply for a visa exemption extension of 90 additional days.

But yeah, if you stay in Japan for 3 months, leave and then come back a couple of days later under a new 90 day visa exemption it will raise flags for the border officials and it should.

Edit: That doesn't mean they'll reject you but you may be questioned on how you are supporting yourself and may need to provide proof that you are in fact just a tourist (ie: itinerary, hotels booked in various locations, etc).

Navaash posted:

There were reforms in September 2019 that made a lot of the "suspicion of working" moot. The big one was that Immigration/the Ministry of Justice will no longer process Certificates of Eligibility in Japan unless it's "extraordinary circumstances" (which ironically ended up happening a lot during the COVID border closures, but basically means that most of the time they won't flip a tourist visa to residence status unless it's going from tourist to spouse, which they still do afaik).

The second big one is that they will no longer process CoEs in a country in which the holder doesn't have an existing status of residence already. This closed up the "visa run" loophole in which someone would get their CoE from their employer that they were working under the table for, dash to South Korea (the nearest country), spend the weekend and change there getting the visa entered into their passport, then fly back to Japan and be work-legal right away. So an American would have to go to Guam at the bare minimum instead of SK (unless they were already working in SK, and if they were, it would be trivial for the employer to mail the CoE to them in SK anyway).

The combination of these basically killed visa runs for people working illegally. They were a lot more lax before June 2012 when they changed all the residence cards from "Alien Registration Document" (外国人登録説明書) but they weren't blind to abuses of the system that mounted more and more over the next 7 years.

That having been said, what Zettace said:

Good to know and very helpful, thanks to you both. There would be no work involved, it would be part of a sabbatical of sorts.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

AHH F/UGH posted:

Crack a window when you clean. Apparently if you are in the borders of Japan, it guarantees that and and all stray dust you sweep immediately funnels out through that cracked window. It works 100% of the time.

Thanks..

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Second day in Tokyo with my mum and I think she's been mostly interested in comparing grocery prices to back home in Malaysia so far.

I got myself some Kinoko/Takenoko no Yama and I think I prefer takenoko, the chocolate/biscuit balance in a single bite is better.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I prefer takenoko, the chocolate/biscuit balance in a single bite is better.

Correct. Your residence card is in the mail.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Takenoko is so dry though.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

I went to Tokyo with my grandmother and she liked Royal Host and asked me if I could tell the waiter to grind cheese over her french onion gratin.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I never got into the bamboo/mushroom feud, but Toppo is easily superior to Pocky.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

leather fedora posted:

I never got into the bamboo/mushroom feud, but Toppo is easily superior to Pocky.

the fatty ghana toppo > men's pocky (dark chocolate, seemingly discontinued), gokuboso pocky > all chocolate toppo > regular pocky > regular toppo

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That sucks. I miss the delicious, sexist Pocky.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gabriel Grub posted:

remember what they've taken from you

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Gabriel Grub posted:

Ive never had it. I like pretz and black coffee everyday morning before I use the sauna in my office.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

mongolia posted:

Ive never had it. I like pretz and black coffee everyday morning before I use the sauna in my office.

I don't know if you're being serious, but that sounds lovely anyway.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is it better to do currency exchange at my bank in the states or when I'm over there in Japan? I've always had someone else give me local currency in the past, not sure this time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've yet to find a better rate than Narita and Haneda. The kiosks just outside int'l arrival has great rates. I think you can find them online. They've been like, 1-2 JPY off the official rate for USD, it's nuts. I bet Euro and GBP have similarly good rates. Maybe AUD as well.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

note: the good rates come from local banks with kiosks in the airport. travelex has branches too and their rates are just as extortionate as they are anywhere.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

note: the good rates come from local banks with kiosks in the airport. travelex has branches too and their rates are just as extortionate as they are anywhere.

is this windows at the airport or ATMs?

but yeah either way, unless you want a grip of 2000 yen bills to amaze people with or are my family and just by habit get cash at home, using the local banks at Narita/Haneda is probably your best bet.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I saw the mascot of Nagano, Arukuma, and found him so endearing that I took a selfie with him. Later I went to a bar in Matsumoto and got to talking with some locals and somehow this came up and I showed them the funny photo. We were then talking about apples, and I said I hadn’t tried any of the local (huge) apples. The fellow I was talking with promptly left the bar and returned with a bowl of apple slices, and also gave me an apple.

Folks are really proud of these apples!

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Femtosecond posted:

I saw the mascot of Nagano, Arukuma, and found him so endearing that I took a selfie with him. Later I went to a bar in Matsumoto and got to talking with some locals and somehow this came up and I showed them the funny photo. We were then talking about apples, and I said I hadn’t tried any of the local (huge) apples. The fellow I was talking with promptly left the bar and returned with a bowl of apple slices, and also gave me an apple.

Folks are really proud of these apples!

I really like Arukuma he is very cute. If you keep talking about Arukuma maybe some people will give you free Arukuma merch.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Use a post office or Family Mart ATM for decent rates and instant cash without the fuss.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So there's this seafood festival in Tokyo happening on Thanksgiving and I'm irrationally excited about it. I've been living inland for too long.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the Bank of Japan deliberately doing something to keep the yen under 150 to the dollar? It doesn't seem to be able to break past 149.xx.

I know nothing of this stuff but I suspect something is being done deliberately to try to prevent it from 150. I'd guess the fear is if it goes through 150 it will just keep falling.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Japanese media seems to portray 150 as the breaking point so probably.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So there's this seafood festival in Tokyo happening on Thanksgiving and I'm irrationally excited about it. I've been living inland for too long.

Oh? This sounds pretty interesting, is there any other information on this?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a Schwab international checking account and just use it where I can and use it like a regular debit.

They used to reimburse ATM fees but I guess they stopped it

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm on the tail end of my trip.

My friends who forgot their JR rail passes were able to get them express shipped and the arrived in the afternoon of the day we were leaving Tokyo.

We were in Osaka like 2 days and the leader of their crew lost her JR pass and had to make do with IC card, which there's nothing wrong with unless you are a yen-pincher to begin with and are paying for something you kind of already paid for.

She also got dog sick and was fine being typhoid Mary on all the buses and trains across Osaka. Unfortunately staying in close proximity with her for like 2 weeks means I also caught whatever she had. I masked up because I don't want to ruin someone else s day/week.

They returned stateside last night but I was supposed to enjoy two extra days without them. Which has meant doing nothing I want to and just laying in bed and sleeping all I can. Vacation!

Hopefully I'm better for the trip home.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zettace posted:

Japanese media seems to portray 150 as the breaking point so probably.

Yeah, this is my rough understanding as well.

I hope they pull levers and stop printing money such that we go back more towards 110-100 to $1, but I’m more wishing than hopeful there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

poo poo bad luck

jfc :(

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Revitalized posted:

Oh? This sounds pretty interesting, is there any other information on this?

https://37sakana.jp/sjfesodaiba/

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for your sympathy.

There's still one thing I'm going to do, plague or not, and that's go see the Yokohama Gundam Factory to see the robit that walks... but not really since he's on a pole and not actually standing on his own two feet.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

cheese eats mouse posted:

I have a Schwab international checking account and just use it where I can and use it like a regular debit.

They used to reimburse ATM fees but I guess they stopped it

Did they? I might have the same account, and they reimbursed me my ATM fees from Vegas as recently as the end of September.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Blackchamber posted:

Thanks for your sympathy.

There's still one thing I'm going to do, plague or not, and that's go see the Yokohama Gundam Factory to see the robit that walks... but not really since he's on a pole and not actually standing on his own two feet.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Highlight of the Yokohama Gundam Factory. A lot of people with really nice glass on their cameras there. There's on guy on the dock tour (the tickets that get you up on the viewing platform) went up with a lot of gear. Tripods aren't allowed but he had a crane and so on. What they don't tell you is you are limited on how much time you can be up front (time for 5 pictures only) and they rotate groups between floors. So basically he went expecting to set up all his gear and squat a spot for the whole show and kids were bouncing in and around him and it was impossible to get a good video. He just went handheld photos only, kind of grumpy.

Just a lil schadenfreude for my Gundam day.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Day 2 of 5 staying in dotonbori and not sure if we regret it yet. It’s a madhouse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Just a lil schadenfreude for my Gundam day.

It’s always funny to see this sort of thing

Kaddish posted:

Day 2 of 5 staying in dotonbori and not sure if we regret it yet. It’s a madhouse.

Going to be more fun if the Tigers are winning playoff games too

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Kaddish posted:

lol owned. we had dinner with a friend heading out in Osaka and he took us around and again lol owned

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

harperdc posted:

Going to be more fun if the Tigers are winning playoff games too
God I can't wait for this. Someone's going to drown though unfortunately.