Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mescal posted:

Other variations which are seen less frequently in modern sources include: Baʿal Shamin, Baʿal Samin, Baʿal-Shamem, Baʿal Shamim, Baʿal Shamem, Baʿalsamem, Baal Shamin, Baal-Samin, Beelsamen, Baʿalsamin, Baal-Samen, Baal-Shamen, Baalsamin, Baalsamen, Baal-shamim, Baʿalshamin, Baal-Samim, Baal-Samem, Baalsamem, Baalsamim, Baalshamem, Beelsamin, Beel-Samen, Beelshamen, Baal-Shamayim, Baʿalsamen, Beel-Samin, Baalshamim, Baalshamen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grum
May 7, 2007
Ball steamin, Ball shamin, Ball shavin, Ball semen

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Grum posted:

Ball steamin, Ball shamin, Ball shavin, Ball semen
in that order?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What is this? Where's Il? What's with all the ms?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mescal posted:

What is this? Where's Il? What's with all the ms?

different ways of spelling Mo'ammer Al–Ghadhdhaffy

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
One hypothesis is that hair travels along a lint highway defined as integral curves of the vector field given by the direction of growth of the hair, which must end at a vanishing point according to the hairy ball theorem.[8]

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
In 2004, Al Jazeera was voted by brandchannel.com readers as the fifth most influential global brand behind Apple Computer, Google, IKEA and Starbucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ColTim posted:

One hypothesis is that hair travels along a lint highway defined as integral curves of the vector field given by the direction of growth of the hair, which must end at a vanishing point according to the hairy ball theorem.[8]

:hmmyes:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The modern Hebrew name, מבצר האלה‎, or the Elah Fortress was suggested by Foundation Stone directors David Willner and Barnea Levi Selavan at a meeting with Garfinkel and Ganor in early 2008. Garfinkel accepted the idea and excavation t-shirts with that name were produced for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Examples of snowmen built included a snownun that was seducing a man, a snowman and a snowwoman having sex in front of the town fountain and a naked snowboy urinating into the mouth of a drunken snowman.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ddamn thats hella cunning

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Goombah[1] is a pejorative slang term for people of Italian descent, mainly in the United States, with several related connotations to the Mafia (either the Italian-American Mafia, the original Sicilian Mafia, or other Italian organized crime groups) or gangs of Italian or Italian-American origin.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/pretends to sneeze extremely loudly to cover up the gunshot

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Carthag Tuek posted:

ddamn thats hella cunning
Police Baffled By Bottle-Shaped Paper Bag

quote:

BRIDGEPORT, CT—Local police officials are "utterly baffled" by a bottle-shaped paper bag that local resident Jimmy Kilty held while sitting on an East Side strip-mall bench Monday.

"It's a real mystery," said Sgt. Ted Vittorio of the Bridgeport Police Department. "Judging from the way he kept putting the paper bag up to his mouth, you'd think he was drinking something out of it. But obviously he wasn't, since paper can't hold liquid. It would soak right through instantly."

Vittorio said he was making his normal patrol of the area when he noticed Kilty clutching the strange bag.

"It's part of my job to monitor for loitering and public intoxication, so when I spotted Kilty sitting on the bench, I slowed down to survey the scene," Vittorio said. "I thought maybe he was drinking, but, as it turned out, he was just repeatedly putting a paper bag up to his face. Such behavior may be strange, but it's certainly not illegal, so I moved on."

Kilty, 32, who remains on the bench as of press time, reportedly spent his first three hours greeting passersby. At approximately 4:15 p.m., he was joined by two male companions, who intermittently held the paper bag and took turns disappearing behind the thick hedges that border the parking lot.

With so few leads, police can only speculate as to what the bag contains.

"Whatever's in there, it's got to be pretty heavy, because otherwise why would the men need to take turns holding it?" police chief Edgar Rudolph said. "And we know it's not liquor, because everyone in town is well aware of Bridgeport City Ordinance Title 9, Chapter 4, Article 4, which clearly states that it is unlawful for any person within city limits to possess any alcoholic beverage in any public place, or to transport any alcoholic beverage upon any public street, sidewalk, pedestrian mall, alleyway or thoroughfare where such alcoholic beverage is in a receptacle which has been opened, or the seal of which has been broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed."
https://www.theonion.com/police-baffled-by-bottle-shaped-paper-bag-1819565140

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Witcombe suggests that the name Wookey is derived from the Celtic (Welsh) for 'cave', ogo or ogof, which gave the early names for this cave of "Ochie" or "Ochy". Hole is Anglo-Saxon for cave, which is itself of Latin/Norman derivation. Therefore, the name Wookey Hole Cave basically means cave cave cave.[21]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
really glad that didn’t come off a star wars wiki

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberspace_Defense_Forces

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The unit is to deal with cyber-security of the Republic of Poland in the military dimension.

:cawg:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

During his Nobel acceptance speech, Tinbergen promoted the widely discredited[14] "refrigerator mother" hypothesis of the causation of autism, thereby setting a "nearly unbeatable record for shortest time between receiving the Nobel Prize and saying something really stupid about a field in which the recipient had little experience."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

quote:

The origin of the Kaifeng Jews and the date of their arrival is one of the most intensely debated topics in the field of Chinese-Jewish relations.[b]

quote:

According to Job 28:25, the Holy Spirit rested upon the Prophets in varying degrees, some prophesying to the extent of one book only, and others filling two books.[21] Nor did it rest upon them continually, but only for a time. The stages of development, the highest of which is the Holy Spirit, are as follows: zeal, integrity, purity,

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 20, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mescal posted:

During his Nobel acceptance speech, Tinbergen promoted the widely discredited[14] "refrigerator mother" hypothesis of the causation of autism, thereby setting a "nearly unbeatable record for shortest time between receiving the Nobel Prize and saying something really stupid about a field in which the recipient had little experience."

lmao jfc

Troutful
May 31, 2011

The often-quoted Book of Saint Albans or Boke of St Albans, first printed in 1486, often attributed to Dame Juliana Berners, provides this hierarchy of hawks and the social ranks for which each bird was supposedly appropriate.

1. Emperor: Eagle, vulture, and merlin
2. King: gyr falcon and the tercel of the gyr falcon
3. Prince: falcon gentle and the tercel gentle
4. Duke: falcon of the loch
5. Earl: Peregrine falcon
6. Baron: bustard
7. Knight: sacre and the sacret
8. Esquire: lanere and the laneret
9. Lady: marlyon
10. Young man: hobby
11. Yeoman: goshawk
12. Poor man: tercel
13. Priest: sparrowhawk
14. Holy water clerk: musket
15. Knave or servant: kestrel

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I always thought kestrels were pretty neat :smith:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Vulture Emperor is a pretty good name for a band

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Real Men of Genius is a series of advertisements, primarily 60-second American radio spots, for Bud Light beer. The campaign was originally conceived by copywriter Bob Winter and art director Mark Gross – and co-created with copywriter Bill Cimino – at DDB Chicago.[4]

(...)

Demise

While never officially canceled, funding for the ads was cut in June 2008.[6] At the time, Anheuser-Busch denied the cost savings were part of a defense against hostile takeover from then-competitor InBev.[6] In July 2008, InBev successfully purchased Anheuser Busch.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

A couple of days after her third birthday, Christina Mann was playing around with her father's wearcomp (wearable computer) with Nikon D2h and took some pictures, including this picture of the organ that she commonly plays.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Hygiene posted:

I always thought kestrels were pretty neat :smith:

Wiktionary is almost Wikipedia: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/windfucker

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Turns out the most worthless thing on Wikipedia is Elon Musk:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1716099814264328390

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wikimedia foundation does have way more than enough money for maintain wikipedia (even without interest their cash on hand is enough for over a decade).

Elon is way late to the punch tho, there have been articles concerned about the spending for years (like them spending €18,000 on pop concert tickets and travel for wikimedians to be "accredited photographers")

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tunicate posted:

Wikimedia foundation does have way more than enough money for maintain wikipedia (even without interest their cash on hand is enough for over a decade).

Elon is way late to the punch tho, there have been articles concerned about the spending for years (like them spending €18,000 on pop concert tickets and travel for wikimedians to be "accredited photographers")

I'm okay with that. I hate it when there are no photos in a wiki article, especially for actors, and I have to google them myself.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, honestly, "pay photographers to take decent photos of public figures to use in articles so that the only photo on the page isn't a grainy group shot from 1985 that was the only free-use picture anyone could find" seems like a reasonable enough use of funds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sounds like original research to me

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Multiplexing is a juggling trick or form of toss juggling where more than one ball is in the hand at the time of the throw. The opposite, a squeeze catch, is when more than one ball is caught in the hand simultaneously on the same beat. If a multiplex throw were time-reversed, it would be a squeeze catch.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
wikimedians

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

worthfull

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
db cooper article?

e: yep

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ament is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:
  • Jeff Ament (born 1963), American rock bassist
  • Pat Ament (born 1946), American rock climber
(...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:nws: :nws:

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1716686832337830261