Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Quayle's also a massive rear end in a top hat in BG1. Very different from the few interactions you have with him in BG2, I'm not sure exactly why. I think the idea is that he has mellowed as a result of taking Aerie under his wing?

The mod that adds Aerie as a merchant (and hooks her into the wizard hostage situation) in BG1 has the theory that "uncle Quayle" is someone different from the Quayle in BG1, but I think that's silly, and your idea is basically what he says, as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

bike tory posted:

Yeah whichever mod it is that moves late game NPCs to more accessible locations is very worthwhile. Alora, Quayle and Tiax are all very well worth using but so few people do because of how late they appear. A casualty of how the devs expected players to basically just treat the NPCs like a revolving door.

Tweaks Anthology does that, like so much other good stuff.

quote:

Move NPCs to Convenient Locations
BGEE, EET, BG, BGT, Tutu

Adapted from the BG1 NPC Project and Sword Coast Stratagems mods, this series of components allows you to move Alora, Eldoth, Quayle, Shar-Teel, Tiax, and Viconia so they can be found earlier in the game, and is compatible with Send BioWare NPCs to an Inn [DavidW/Zed Nocear]. You must start a new game for these changes to take effect on non-BGT games.

Alora will be found in Gullykin, near the winery door. Her initial dialog has been changed to reflect her new location. (Note: Dialog may not change in games without Tales of the Sword Coast installed.)
Eldoth moves to the Sword Coast Way, south of the Friendly Arm Inn.
Quayle will be available at the Nashkel Carnival near the Great Gazib.
Shar-Teel moves to the area north of Nashkel.
Tiax will start on the first floor of Feldepost's Inn.
Viconia moves to the road south of Beregost.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kingturnip posted:

The main mechanic you need to know for BG2 is spell countering. Get used to reading the log to check which spells an enemy mage just cast and hope you have the right counter memorised.

Where is this necessary? Tolgerias and the poor unnamed lady next to him? Just bum-rushing the mages generally works, especially after you get a melee weapon that inflicts elemental damage. Then Minsc or Korgan will just stop the bastards from casting stuff.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Generally you need to strip Liches unless you cheese them with summons or a Cleric with Mace of Disruption +2/Protection from Magic, right?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Liches are immune to breach and non-inquis dispel so the best you can really do is get rid of the spell trap and use level 6+ spells while you wait for protection from magical weapons to wear off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
On the critical path I really only remember Irenicus playing the unlock the sequencer buffs game. Maybe some drow?

Otherwise every rando mage is usually just stone skinning and mirror imaging or greater invisbilitying which is annoying but fairly brute forceable by the ol' bump and grind on normal difficulty but is greatly simplified by engaging with breach, true sight, dispel/remove magic etc.

I think some of the optional party vs party fights have mages with the works (especially Twisted Rune).

Otherwise Rakshasa and Liches let you play dispel roulette since dispel and remove magic are special snowflake spells that ignore their spell level immunity. But you also need sufficient caster level as the spell description lies about minimum chance (which is why many people say inquisitor dispel is the only way, even though its just cause they get the OP 2x caster level bonus. Bards suffice in a pinch, otherwise your wizard must be this tall to ride).

By TOB every rando mage has the stupid sequencers and you want to engage with the guarantied removal systems if you value your time.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I was under the impression it's because inquisitor dispel is flagged as spell level 0. Same deal as the old vanilla HLA spells that were level 0 so they worked on demi-liches. Not anymore, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dispel and Remove Magic as any other castable spell should also be spell level 0 and if they aren't because of the EE or something you should find a mod that turns them back because it's dumb bullshit if you need Keldorn or Spellstrike to avoid the amazing strategy of waiting for minutes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zedprime posted:

On the critical path I really only remember Irenicus playing the unlock the sequencer buffs game. Maybe some drow?

Even at the Tree of Life you can just send a couple of Mordenkainen's swords at him and he'll happily waste all his spells on them, the timer ticks down and whoops most of his protections are gone. A lot of hay is made about the mage chess aspect of the game, and the player sure can engage with it if they want to, but I'm not sure where it's ever necessary. As pointed out above, even liches (lichii?) die to the weapons that insta-murder undead.

Maybe the dragons?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Pretty sure ToL Irenicus uses horrid wilting (huge magic-type damage) which should annihilate mordy swords.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Being an Inquisitor or taking Keldorn and eventually convincing him to be a bad dad trivializes so much mage combat.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Suspicious posted:

Pretty sure ToL Irenicus uses horrid wilting (huge magic-type damage) which should annihilate mordy swords.

I don't doubt you, but does his AI fire it off if you (as in CHARNAME) are out of sight? I am fairly convinced I have cheesed him by just walking off-screen from him and sending in summons to chop him up. This doesn't work in Hell, but the Tree of Life fight can be trivialized. Or I am misremembering wildly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Even at the Tree of Life you can just send a couple of Mordenkainen's swords at him and he'll happily waste all his spells on them, the timer ticks down and whoops most of his protections are gone. A lot of hay is made about the mage chess aspect of the game, and the player sure can engage with it if they want to, but I'm not sure where it's ever necessary. As pointed out above, even liches (lichii?) die to the weapons that insta-murder undead.

Maybe the dragons?

Yeah, and you can backstab most Mages in the game into chunks with a high-enough-level Thief, a bunch of invis pots and something that grants Non-Detection, but OP didn't ask how to cheese the game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fair enough, but my question was when is mage chess actually necessary?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rappaport posted:

Fair enough, but my question was when is mage chess actually necessary?

Never if you have an Inquisitor, or (assuming you aren't using SCS or something) very rarely if you aren't. Just casting Breach gets you through most encounters.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nothing is absolutely necessary, you can beat the game with a solo of any class. It's perfectly viable and worth doing against most mages you come up against to some extent. At the least popping a true sight and using breach to get rid of stoneskins will save you having to make a bunch of saves against various crowd controls.

And there are powerful non-lich mages all over. In the planar sphere as you noted, the planar prison, firkraag's dungeon, the sewers, the guarded compound where you get that OP katana, etc etc. Even against the Yuan-ti mages you encounter all over the place it's useful.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37267-neverwinter-night-for-baldurs-gate-mod/

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That sounds like an incredible feat, only to port the least interesting campaign in the series.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
One other thing to realize about mage chess is whether you're playing vanilla or SCS you can sometimes skip it with certain spells.

For example, Cloud Kill is devastating even on SCS against enemy mages because it's very rare for them to be protected against poison unless they are liches. And since it's not a targeted spell it doesn't give a poo poo about most spell protections.

Death Fog can work on Liches since it's a level 6 spell. I'm not sure how often vanilla Liches put up Protection from Acid as I haven't played vanilla in a while but my guess is only some of the time? If they don't put that up, you can drop that on them and it will get some steady damage and interrupts in while you try to get rid of their other defenses.

Cloud spells are my gently caress you to enemy casters. I use them even playing on cranked up SCS settings and they're quite effective. And I don't even use them to cheese by dropping them and sitting in another room. Using them actively in combat is still useful as the damage will interrupt enemy casters if nothing else and can often kill them or zone them away as well.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Calling it chess is giving it way too much credit

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fruits of the sea posted:

That sounds like an incredible feat, only to port the least interesting campaign in the series.
Wow yeah, I know Neverwinter Nights has its fans but I never would have guessed anyone liked the base campaign THAT much

Admittedly one of the things I disliked most about it was how it felt like you were playing four connected fan campaigns or something; if you can actually travel between the areas of the four chapters in this version that would tempt me to play it again

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Video Games Thx posted:

Calling it chess is giving it way too much credit
More like mage onion.

Ginette Reno posted:

One other thing to realize about mage chess is whether you're playing vanilla or SCS you can sometimes skip it with certain spells.

For example, Cloud Kill is devastating even on SCS against enemy mages because it's very rare for them to be protected against poison unless they are liches. And since it's not a targeted spell it doesn't give a poo poo about most spell protections.

Death Fog can work on Liches since it's a level 6 spell. I'm not sure how often vanilla Liches put up Protection from Acid as I haven't played vanilla in a while but my guess is only some of the time? If they don't put that up, you can drop that on them and it will get some steady damage and interrupts in while you try to get rid of their other defenses.

Cloud spells are my gently caress you to enemy casters. I use them even playing on cranked up SCS settings and they're quite effective. And I don't even use them to cheese by dropping them and sitting in another room. Using them actively in combat is still useful as the damage will interrupt enemy casters if nothing else and can often kill them or zone them away as well.
I forget, do the druid bees! line of spells get similar protection bypassing if you cast them on an unprotected mob? Not sure if spreading effects count as AOE or direct cast. I remember if you cast it directly it'll probably fail.

If you can apply bees to a caster you've already won.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

More like mage onion.

I forget, do the druid bees! line of spells get similar protection bypassing if you cast them on an unprotected mob? Not sure if spreading effects count as AOE or direct cast. I remember if you cast it directly it'll probably fail.

If you can apply bees to a caster you've already won.

I'm not the best source on this since I haven't done vanilla in a while but I *think* that on vanilla both Insect Plague and Creeping Doom are insanely OP and just go right through almost anything? Maybe spell trap blocks them? And spell immunity might as well but I don't believe the AI uses that on vanilla

SCS nerfs them a bit (though they are still very good on that too).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yes, the bees are the most entertaining counter to any spellcaster.

I don’t think there is a way to stop them, apart from just having high magic resistance or casting the right spell immunity. Spell trap only works on spells targeting the caster.

There’s no save for the magic failure, only the fear effect. I’m not sure what the damage type is, but it works on dragons and lichens.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Insect plague is level 5 so liches are immune unfortunately. Creeping doom would work I think but I usually prefer other level 7 druid spells.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ahh my bad, creeping doom is the one that also damages liches. Druids are spoiled for choice once they get to that level.

Another slightly tedious way to neutralize mages is to polymorph into a mustard jelly with the sewer cloak. They have over 100% magic resistance, so unless the mage has some summon spells, you can let them fire off all their spells.

That's kinda verging on an exploit though.

E: A proper exploit: Fire/frost shield triggers on melee attacks. If you stand in melee range of a mage, any spell that they target on you procs fire shield and since it triggers when they start casting, you're almost guaranteed to interrupt their spell. Being elemental damage and not counting as a spell, it bypasses a surprising large amount of protection spells. Not bad for a level 3 spell, sort of a single target insect plague for low level bards and fighter/mages.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you don't mod druid spell progression they get six level 7 spell slots the moment they get any at all, so you've got a lot of options.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Heart of Winter in the bag, sans megadungeon because I forgot. Did not take long at all, which is in line with what I've heard. Still, a good time was had. Last boss was easier than the final boss of base IWD even above Core Rules difficulty, but that might be because your toolkit is a lot bigger. I had a Druid, Cleric, and Fighter/Mage slinging buffs, summons, and pain everywhere. F/M casted Time Stop and just start dumping Skull Traps on the adds, then MMs on the boss. The only casuality on our side was the F/T, which might be because I left him too close to the floor-pain I laid down for the adds.

Speaking of, a weird bug(?): The F/T dies, we win regardless. I don't bother picking him up because it's the end, so I grab his stuff and trigger the final cutscene. I start a new game from the main menu and form the same party to do the megadungeon. Starts at Lonelywood, as it should. The F/T is no longer "dead" but is completely unselectable. Their portrait has color, but I can't enter their inventory nor select them for anything. They don't show as being resurrectable either. Hopefully I can fix that with EE Keeper..

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I've been told you can finish BG3 really fast so let's add it to the ironman challenge thread! :haw:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Has anyone tried ironmanning Icewind Dale?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rappaport posted:

You can freely add new members to your party and there's no main character who's death ends the game, so if anything it's probably easier than the BG series assuming you're patient and willing to grind up new members xp.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I think someone did this once (with the character in first position as honorary Bhaalspawn) a few years back.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I imported a dagger wielding l7 Berserker / Druid over to BG2 from BG1 and man he feels almost too strong. 19 in most stats, great AC with a shield and self buffs. And the daggers are great. Dagger of Venom in BG1 paired with berserk shut down most mages instantly. In BG2 the Boomerang Dagger works wonders with its extra attack per round and a ranged attack that adds your full STR bonus.

The mages provide a slightly higher challenge compared to BG1 but bees shut most down. I managed best the Twisted Rune on the first attempt. Balduran shield took care of the beholder, while insects ruined the mages. The fighters couldn't get through my AC.

I had to cheese the Kangaxx fight by dismissing the party, using a scroll of prot vs undead and a couple of potions of flame breath.

Might try some difficulty mod to make it more challenging...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I imported a dagger wielding l7 Berserker / Druid over to BG2 from BG1 and man he feels almost too strong. 19 in most stats, great AC with a shield and self buffs. And the daggers are great. Dagger of Venom in BG1 paired with berserk shut down most mages instantly. In BG2 the Boomerang Dagger works wonders with its extra attack per round and a ranged attack that adds your full STR bonus.

The mages provide a slightly higher challenge compared to BG1 but bees shut most down. I managed best the Twisted Rune on the first attempt. Balduran shield took care of the beholder, while insects ruined the mages. The fighters couldn't get through my AC.

I had to cheese the Kangaxx fight by dismissing the party, using a scroll of prot vs undead and a couple of potions of flame breath.

Might try some difficulty mod to make it more challenging...

I got through most of BG2 with SCS (I didn't hit a road block or anything, it was just one of a dozen or so runs where I get distracted by another game or another character concept) so I'd recommend that. I haven't actually used it in years but I know a bunch of people in this thread use it regularly so they can probably give you advice on what specific options to enable that make it more challenging and what ones just make certain things more annoying.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That is an excellent powergaming combo. Magic resistance spell plus some res gear should give you a decent chance against SCS mages too, if you go that route. What is your int?

E: throwing knives and darts are low key amazing with the right stats, everybody should try that at least once

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Do darts get bonus damage from STR like slings do?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dexterity IIRC, so it needs a different build

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They get no damage bonus, have a shorter range, but have 3 attacks per round. Also the idea of throwing darts as a weapon is stupid

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jay Rust posted:

They get no damage bonus, have a shorter range, but have 3 attacks per round. Also the idea of throwing darts as a weapon is stupid

Depends on the darts, there's a lot of historical examples of pretty gnarly war darts out there. As portrayed in the game though, they do seem pretty wimpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Darts of stunning are pretty good. Saved my bacon during a catastrophic Sarevok fight, once.