Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

My favorite part of RE7/8 is the fact that capcom could not help themselves and reverted chris back to a muscle man with biceps like easter hams in RE8.

edit:

:zombie: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Re6 is good actually and anyone who disagrees didn't have a co-op buddy to tag team suplex mutant spiders with

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly don't think RE7 holds up that well. It's not bad by any means but of the recent REs I'd put it ahead of RE3.

The opening is great. I'd argue at minimum to the chainsaw fight with Jack is excellent. From there I think it starts to rapidly go downhill, especially on replays. Pretty much everything after the choice between Mia and Zoe kinda sucks from an atmosphere and a gameplay perspective. It has just such a lame wet fart of an ending after such a strong opening. The lab sequences are usually my least favorite part of a RE game but even at their worst they tend to have cool/memorable moments but I struggle to remember anything like that from RE7.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is anything happening with Wronged Us? That game looks interesting, but info seems really drip fed out, and not many places are covering it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

it's like $25 for the game and American nightmare just play it you weirdos

I feel like this has come up many times in the past and the answer is always no, but I also don't trust my memory so

is American Nightmare worth the time to go through if you do not care for Alan Wake combat? I think I bounced off of it like half an hour in after I finished the original game and never gave it another shot, and with 2 coming up it's back in my thoughts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I feel like this has come up many times in the past and the answer is always no, but I also don't trust my memory so

is American Nightmare worth the time to go through if you do not care for Alan Wake combat? I think I bounced off of it like half an hour in after I finished the original game and never gave it another shot, and with 2 coming up it's back in my thoughts

No, it absolutely isn't.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't think RE7 holds up that well. It's not bad by any means but of the recent REs I'd put it ahead of RE3.

The opening is great. I'd argue at minimum to the chainsaw fight with Jack is excellent. From there I think it starts to rapidly go downhill, especially on replays. Pretty much everything after the choice between Mia and Zoe kinda sucks from an atmosphere and a gameplay perspective. It has just such a lame wet fart of an ending after such a strong opening. The lab sequences are usually my least favorite part of a RE game but even at their worst they tend to have cool/memorable moments but I struggle to remember anything like that from RE7.

RE7 is the game I’m the most surprised I still like replaying. As much as I liked it first go, I thought it would be a one and done deal, but I’ve played it 3 or 4 times now and always have a blast.

You’re not wrong about the quality dropping after that point, but the quality of RE game gradually deteriorating after strong opening halves/thirds is that series’ most consistent identity.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Irony.or.Death posted:

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure American Nightmare is basically JUST combat.

(I didn't care for the combat in AW either.)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I soured on re8 very quickly

Vampire mommy was actually the only good part of the game

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 17, 2023

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My only gripe with RE8 that I can remember is that you have a relatively open world game with a hub and yet you get points of no return.

I wanted those fish from the lake damnit :argh:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
7’s enemy design was poor but 8’s combat was far more prevalent and just miserable all around. everything bounced around too much and hardly ever reacted to gunfire

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Its probably better to play now on PC since they patched out that bizarre frame drop every time you killed a dude.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No, it absolutely isn't.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Buck Wildman posted:

Re6 is good actually and anyone who disagrees didn't have a co-op buddy to tag team suplex mutant spiders with

Had a co-op buddy and did not get through the Leon campaign before I dropped it

The level and enemy design were huge turn-offs.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Had a co-op buddy and did not get through the Leon campaign before I dropped it

The level and enemy design were huge turn-offs.

you gotta play Chris and Piers' rootin' tootin' roid ragin' zombie wrasslin bonanza

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's been several years but I'm p sure the opening to Chris' campaign is him screaming GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY and punching a cameraman

I distinctly remember one of you piloting an F-15 or something to fight a boss with

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

RE5 is an actual co-op game.

RE6 is a piece of poo poo that’s just funny enough to tolerate if you can laugh at it with a buddy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's extremely funny and I will continue to advocate for it

it also had that spontaneous multiplayer system for levels where the campaigns overlapped and you could see other players working on their part of the level while you did yours. that was awesome and they never did it again except kinda for dmc5

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've decided for this year's retro spooky game, I'm going to play Parasite Eve. I've heard the third is a major drop in quality, is the second worth playing if I like the first?

Strawberry Panda posted:

Didn't look like it. Their website is all Signalis and Yuri Stern only reposts Signalis fan art.

That's a bit too bad. I really like the art style and the setting was cool, but I also get why they wouldn't want to over-explore things and risk ruining some of the mystery.

Lucca Blight posted:

Are all of them worth picking up? The Dread stuff somehow never made it on my radar.

I haven't played them either but having "player beware, you're in for a scare" as a system requirement is a point in it's favor imo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parasite Eve 2 has gameplay completely different from the first one but is still pretty worth playing.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
PE1 is notable for being really weird and unique in a lot of ways in both the game mechanics and story. Parasite Eve 2 is much less unique and is pretty much just a RE knockoff with the twist that you have magic powers, but despite that it's still a really enjoyable RE knockoff.

Also arguably has one of the top-tier "final act evil science lab" locations within the genre.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
do not play the third birthday

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
RE7 is my favorite RE only because it was such a wonderful surprise to me. I'm really not a fan of the action/over-the-shoulder form of RE-----even if I can acknowledge RE4 as kinda revolutionary and genre defining, it aint for me----and I went in expecting a more polished, big-budget Outlast with suitably muted expectations after 5 and 6. So when I made it past the initial interactions with the Baker family and explored a little more and a loving classic Resident Evil spooky-house with silly object puzzles and coordinated dashes through corridors between rooms unfolded in front of me I was delighted.

It also has my favorite, most comfy safe-room: Zoe's trailer.

I thought I'd give Resident Evil 8 another go this October, but I just cant muster the motivation for it. I've instead installed The Evil Within 2 and it seems to have caught me with a suitably mad, B-movie intro and the beginnings of what seem to be the right amount of side-quests to keep the dopamine hitting without being demoralizingly overwhelming. It also looks pretty spanking at 4k 60 on the XSX

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I really enjoyed the beginning of TEW2 when it felt like an open world monster movie but the story lost me in the middle and wasn't a huge fan of how it ended.

I like RE8 as a haunted house simulator.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RE7 was great, especially the first act, but it never made me want to go back and replay it more than once every year or two. RE8 was fun as hell, I think I replayed it two more times straight in a row, and I've gone back a couple times since then. Just a really good action-y haunted house, yeah. I haven't touched it since the 4 remake, which I think is a gameplay high point for the series, but I thought it was a ton of fun on its own terms.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Buck Wildman posted:

you gotta play Chris and Piers' rootin' tootin' roid ragin' zombie wrasslin bonanza

I've seen some hot takes about RE6 but this is #1 now.

While I have some misgivings about the game overall, the only campaign and characters I actively hated were the character posing as Chris Redfield and Piers. I'm glad Piers dies and he does not deserve the emotional farewell the game tries to give him.

Jake and Sherry were the best campaign by far imo, but RE6 is not what I would call a good, coherent game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

everyone's a critic

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Third Birthday is not a "major drop of quality" from PE1, that would imply it has any level of quality at all, or in fact anything to do with the series aside from some names.

I am saying this as someone who wasn't even that much of a fan of PE1 aside from it having some curious mechanics. Third Birthday is just really garbage.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

heard a lotta good picks for folks' spooptober playthrough, but never one of the best: clive barker's undying

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Captain Hygiene posted:

RE7 was great, especially the first act, but it never made me want to go back and replay it more than once every year or two. RE8 was fun as hell, I think I replayed it two more times straight in a row, and I've gone back a couple times since then. Just a really good action-y haunted house, yeah. I haven't touched it since the 4 remake, which I think is a gameplay high point for the series, but I thought it was a ton of fun on its own terms.

My only complaint for RE8 replays is that House Beneviento gets really boring once you've been through it once.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BisbyWorl posted:

My only complaint for RE8 replays is that House Beneviento gets really boring once you've been through it once.

This is true, it's my biggest gripe about the game. It sucks because it feels like the perfect place to sequence break and skip ahead if you know what to do, but no, you still have to go through pretty much everything in order every time :sigh:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The puzzles arent even bad. It's just that there's too many of them one after another. They shouldve spread them more evenly across the story. And have Ethan shoot haunted dolls or something as a call back to the unreleased RE4 version

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
https://youtu.be/pZzk-Fk07ug?si=KSIxyjs3lyzKQOA3

Lol. Lmao. This would probably be a fine and schlocky Until Dawn knockoff if they just didn’t call it Silent Hill.

It feels like they set out to make “a horror movie game,” rather than “a really hosed up scary game.” I’m not precious about what is Silent Hill and this implied apotheosis angle might be cool, but being stalked by a scary serial killer outside your house… doesn’t feel like it.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 18, 2023

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

looks like complete dogshit lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Maybe Silent Hill F will be good.

Maybe

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Buck Wildman posted:

heard a lotta good picks for folks' spooptober playthrough, but never one of the best: clive barker's undying

This person knows what's what. Undying is real good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried Undying once, got to some bit where enemies started constantly spawning, had no idea where to go and ran out of ammo so I stopped playing it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm replaying an old polish strategy survival horror game. Gorky 17, as part of my own spooktober stuff. I've never seen anything quite like it since, and I love the dumb thing. A group of NATO commandos investigating a polish town that had an old Russian base nearby find it swarming with weird cybernetic mutants and you fight turn-based scripted battles with them as you creep around the town trying to find ammunition and baseball bats to get through it. Because in true survival horror tradition, of course they sent the three heroes in with like 12 bullets, a can of pie, and a knife to begin with.

I've never seen anything else that quite nails that sort of RE-style 'you both have enough ammo to kill everything but feel like you don't' atmosphere in a strategy game with light RPG elements before.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Maybe Silent Hill F will be good.

Maybe

Given Ryukishi07 is writing it, at the very least it'll be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

I'm replaying an old polish strategy survival horror game. Gorky 17, as part of my own spooktober stuff. I've never seen anything quite like it since, and I love the dumb thing. A group of NATO commandos investigating a polish town that had an old Russian base nearby find it swarming with weird cybernetic mutants and you fight turn-based scripted battles with them as you creep around the town trying to find ammunition and baseball bats to get through it. Because in true survival horror tradition, of course they sent the three heroes in with like 12 bullets, a can of pie, and a knife to begin with.

I've never seen anything else that quite nails that sort of RE-style 'you both have enough ammo to kill everything but feel like you don't' atmosphere in a strategy game with light RPG elements before.
I've been thinking about it myself a lot recently! Does it hold up.