Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Potato Salad posted:

What's the name of the feature Google developed that basically creates integrity signals for advertisement-enforced browsing clients?

Web Environment Integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there are also the related google products of FLOC (federated learning of cohorts),Topics, and “privacy sandbox”

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jabor posted:

sometimes, someone makes good videos and you want to see the next one in your subscriptions view instead of having to rely on it bubbling to the top of the algorithmically generated froth

ymmv if you don't actually watch anything like that and only look at clickbait reaction videos, of course

i add the channels i like to my rss reader. don't need to visit youtube, nor log in

and occasionally itll pick up something that the author accidentally published and then removed

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

and occasionally itll pick up something that the author accidentally published and then removed

heh

remember when thomas ptacek hit publish on his blog post draft that he meant to hold until kaminsky disclosed his big DNS bug

and then a bunch of sec nerds pulled it out of their RSS readers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

what sort of dweeb visits youtube logged in lmao

what sort of dweeb visits youtube not logged in? i get only ever clicking embeds, but why would you go to youtube.com otherwise? to see the wall of suggestions that you watch some joe rogan? to use the search that is way worse than just googling?

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Shaggar posted:

https://github.com/RupertBenWiser/Web-Environment-Integrity

the cowards shut down new issues after they started getting blasted over it

more like NO integrity

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

web enshittified adtegrity

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my youtube recs are completely schizo cause its logged in at my parents house & my dad uses it to watch instant karma and blooper reels, my sister uses it to put on childrens songs, my nephews watch danish minecraft players, and i put on 90s music & comedy clips

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sb hermit posted:

why are you logged in while using an ad blocker?

Because i want to check out my subscriptions while also not getting blasted with ads

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what sort of dweeb visits youtube not logged in? i get only ever clicking embeds, but why would you go to youtube.com otherwise? to see the wall of suggestions that you watch some joe rogan? to use the search that is way worse than just googling?

my favorite thing about youtube search is how it's bad but still better than google's video search, which is nearly useless

like i gotta assume that's some preemptive antitrust thing where they can't make it look like they're giving preference to youtube results despite you pretty much wanting to find youtube results 95% of the time you're doing a video search but it's still funny to me every time how loving bad it is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol i got my first fake phishing email at work. all the link validation bullshit our mail server adds to every URL actually made it a tiny bit hard to figure out cuz all the URL's were buried under layers of that crap

also i feel like sending it from the actual IT at companyname email account is kinda cheating but whatever

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Shame Boy posted:

lol i got my first fake phishing email at work. all the link validation bullshit our mail server adds to every URL actually made it a tiny bit hard to figure out cuz all the URL's were buried under layers of that crap

also i feel like sending it from the actual IT at companyname email account is kinda cheating but whatever

our work uses knowb4 for that and it adds a line to the header that states it's a phishing test, which is pretty lol.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Neito posted:

our work uses knowb4 for that and it adds a line to the header that states it's a phishing test, which is pretty lol.

idk what we use but when i hit the report button i got a popup window that just contained the plain text "CONGRATULATIONS YOU PASSED THE PHISHING TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" which stuck around for all of 2 seconds before auto-closing, which is a p good prize imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Neito posted:

yea i filtered everything with an X-HoxHunt-Organization-ID or whatever header to a separate folder so i can knock em out at my leisure

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Shame Boy posted:

idk what we use but when i hit the report button i got a popup window that just contained the plain text "CONGRATULATIONS YOU PASSED THE PHISHING TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" which stuck around for all of 2 seconds before auto-closing, which is a p good prize imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_lVSrPB6w

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

it should be like the end of The Game when everyone starts clapping

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

hot dog! you're a wiener!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mystes posted:

normal people log in and subscribe to channels. people in this thread are just weird

mfs log into an internet forum they only read through bookmarks and ponder why would anyone subscribe to a youtube channel

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
"Be sure to like and subscribe!" You can't tell me what to do!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

i mean i kinda get being against The Algorithm just showing you increasingly crazy stuff cuz it drives engagement or whatever but the subscriptions function is literally just "show me a list in reverse chronological order of videos posted by specifically and only these people".

and honestly that's great, it's like the last big site out there that gives you the option of just showing poo poo from people you follow in the order they were posted, without trying to get all cute with suggestions or chronology or whatever

staying logged out doesn't protect you from The Algorithm showing you stupid engagement-farming poo poo

it just ensures that The Algorithm will exclusively show you the stupidest and most offensive engagement-farming poo poo that the dumbest people imaginable fall for

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

i mean i kinda get being against The Algorithm just showing you increasingly crazy stuff cuz it drives engagement or whatever but the subscriptions function is literally just "show me a list in reverse chronological order of videos posted by specifically and only these people".

and honestly that's great, it's like the last big site out there that gives you the option of just showing poo poo from people you follow in the order they were posted, without trying to get all cute with suggestions or chronology or whatever

Not quite. Videos that perform poorly via the algorithm compared to other videos on the channel will not be displayed in your subscriptions. I'm talking like 100 views total compared to 100,000+ views normally though, so usually stuff that is completely unrelated to their normal content that you may not care for anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

normal people log in and subscribe to channels. people in this thread are just weird
i grab the rss feed and put it into flexget to download the files for me

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I literally do not use YouTube unless someone sends me a video and I’ll only watch if it doesn’t feature a ‘content creator’s face

The internet sucks

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i am a moron posted:

I literally do not use YouTube unless someone sends me a video and I’ll only watch if it doesn’t feature a ‘content creator’s face

The internet sucks

username/post combo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the only "e-video" i will ever watch is that telnet server that played ASCII star wars, everything else is just decadence

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

polyester concept posted:

username/post combo

Shut up Paul you probably looove content creators

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what sort of dweeb visits youtube not logged in? i get only ever clicking embeds, but why would you go to youtube.com otherwise?

Someone who doesn’t want YT to track my watch history (as easily). I have my browser set to block all YouTube and Google cookies entirely.

As for why go there: I mostly use it as a music player.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i use ephemeral tabs in firefox, so not only am i never logged in, but google also has no way to use browser persistence for tracking. my youtube suggestions are universally poo poo that is of no interest to me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neito posted:

If you're looking at headers, you're not the target audience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

youtube suggestions are come ons from streetwalkers. subscriptions are visiting a brothel.

today at the grocery store I saw a wall of beef jerky or some hyper processed food like substance with a phalanx of mr beast faces staring back at me.

these two statements may be related.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack posted:

youtube suggestions are come ons from streetwalkers. subscriptions are visiting a brothel.

today at the grocery store I saw a wall of beef jerky or some hyper processed food like substance with a phalanx of mr beast faces staring back at me.

I guess I like to gently caress because I subscribe to a lot of brothels, and like to gently caress random street walkers that look fun.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Midjack posted:

that's very insightful mr. durden, can I join your meninist cult?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I guess I like to gently caress because I subscribe to a lot of brothels, and like to gently caress random street walkers that look fun.

do you like to gently caress mr. beast, though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i use ephemeral tabs in firefox, so not only am i never logged in, but google also has no way to use browser persistence for tracking. my youtube suggestions are universally poo poo that is of no interest to me

do you also use a new ip every time? because if not, of course they track you

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ymgve posted:

do you also use a new ip every time? because if not, of course they track you

sure, they can also likely get a good fingerprint from my browser. that's why i was specific about the form of tracking. at a minimum they don't suggest anything close to what i actually watch on youtube. i see mr beast all over the front page when i mostly watch pinball videos

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Since this derail is still going I'll add how I do it.

i use youtube logged in, but I have the watch history disabled. I have lots of channels I'm subscribed to with topics ranging from news & current events, geopolitics, electronics, appliance repair, space, cooking, whisky and other spirits, automotive diagnostics & maintenance, old car revival (like VGG), science & mathematics, history, etc, etc. basically a well curated list that reflects my interests.

i watch these channels mostly on my TV, an LG OLED which, and this is the crucial bit, I've jailbroken so that it runs Youtube Adfree, a customized youtube app that has ad blocking and sponsorblock built in.

Having a well-curated stream of content that you can watch on a big screen without ads, without much or any "for you" recommendations of clickbait soyface crap, and even skipping the ads that are in the video itself, is such a different experience from how youtube normally is. it's wonderful.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
The cross-platform ID stuff also uses user agent info like browser version, patching levels for libraries, screen resolution, etc. It's actually kind of insane to a level where one might reasonably be like "why would they possibly bother for the .001% increase in tracking performance", but I guess the point is that that's someone's entire loving job and you go a little bananas if you stare at the problem for a year or 10.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mirconium posted:

The cross-platform ID stuff also uses user agent info like browser version, patching levels for libraries, screen resolution, etc. It's actually kind of insane to a level where one might reasonably be like "why would they possibly bother for the .001% increase in tracking performance", but I guess the point is that that's someone's entire loving job and you go a little bananas if you stare at the problem for a year or 10.

To be fair, we don't know Google does this.

It's just extremely likely.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The fight was lost decades ago and they track you whether you want it or not. I don't log in on youtube, because I have no reason to (I don't like, subscribe or comment). I mainly click on links that posters in the metal thread post and sometimes I search for things. But they know exactly who I am, what I watch and what I want. And in the rare cases I go to the youtube frontpage, that's exactly what they show.

I gave up on bothering to "hide" from them since I have no chance of winning that war. The adblocker though, that stays. Luckily the ublock origin dude is awesome and he keeps the fight going. I hope they won't kill him off, or worse, buy him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Midjack posted:

and joining the patreon is like keeping a mistress!