Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you want a JRPG roguelike get Time Break Chronicles instead of Star Renegades

I had fun with Time Break Chronicles, it is very accessible to a JRPG newbie. And one of the classes is an angry biker man who shouts at stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Nice, D4 did get a 25% launch discount. $50 to play through the campaign once or twice and maybe do some of the seasonable/endgame stuff seems pretty decent. It’s a fun game to click the monsters and a surprisingly decent story.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Anyone playing Sumerians? Reviews are looking nice and I do like a citybuilder.

Time to buy the Rain World Downpour DLC so I can not play the *whole* game instead of only not playing the base game.

Oh, might as well grab it as well!

Slugcats are cool.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

WTF? Is that the character's name? If so, that is just Japanese for "school swimsuit".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flair posted:

WTF? Is that the character's name? If so, that is just Japanese for "school swimsuit".

FFS is that a child character. Ugghh.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Other residents of Firsttown include "MILF" and "DILF"

MILF is mad at the local monsters because they keep melting her clothes off

edit: oh so horny is the point
https://twitter.com/playismEN/status/1273797383193874432

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 17, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

repiv posted:

apparently no, those are just curated by valve

probably curated along the lines of "what will make steam the most money" hence expensive AAAs getting top billing, but it's not paid placement

so the real way to get that is to have a good dota match with whichever valve employee wheeled their desk over to the steam admin section that week

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had fun with Time Break Chronicles, it is very accessible to a JRPG newbie. And one of the classes is an angry biker man who shouts at stuff.

For anyone unfamiliar TBC is a run-based/node-based roguelike with JRPG combat and a massively diverse cast of characters. It's good and avoids most of the pitfalls of JRPG combat (basic attack spamming, healing up between battles, 'popcorn' enemies, etc)

But most importantly is how fuckin' cool the cast of characters is. Pretty much every trope you can imagine is not only represented, but fully fleshed out as a JRPG class with a unique set of skills and synergies. There are 76 characters currently with 100+ planned by the end of EA

(consider this a spoiler if you want to be surprised by them)

Yeah, that's right. In this game you can have a team consisting of Starfox, a mermaid, a skeleton and a gruff biker. You can have an egyptian god teamed up with one of the three musketeers, a caveman, and a post-apocalyptic punk. Or a pirate, a yakuza, a lumberjack and a clown.

The downsides: Combat is a bit drawn out (everyone heals to full between battles so it doesn't feature cheap chaff enemies, every fight is somewhat of a challenge), the pure roguelike mode (where you get random characters without metaprogression) is not a dev priority (so it's short and only features a few bosses), and the metaprogression stuff is a bit of a slow grind (because grinding is kind of the whole point of the game, being a combat-only JRPG)

I really love it as someone who loves class-based JRPGs, diverse casts, and grinding. And it has received steady major updates throughout 3 years of EA.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna play the act 4 update and get obsessed for another 30+ hours

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 17, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

For anyone unfamiliar TBC is a run-based/node-based roguelike with JRPG combat and a massively diverse cast of characters. It's good and avoids most of the pitfalls of JRPG combat (basic attack spamming, healing up between battles, 'popcorn' enemies, etc)

But most importantly is how fuckin' cool the cast of characters is. Pretty much every trope you can imagine is not only represented, but fully fleshed out as a JRPG class with a unique set of skills and synergies. There are 76 characters currently with 100+ planned by the end of EA

Yeah, that's right. In this game you can have a team consisting of Starfox, a mermaid, a skeleton and a gruff biker. You can have an egyptian god teamed up with one of the three musketeers, a caveman, and a post-apocalyptic punk. Or a pirate, a yakuza, a lumberjack and a clown.

The downsides: Combat is a bit drawn out (everyone heals to full between battles so it doesn't feature cheap chaff enemies, every fight is somewhat of a challenge), the pure roguelike mode (where you get random characters without metaprogression) is not a dev priority (so it's short and only features a few bosses), and the metaprogression stuff is a bit of a slow grind (because grinding is kind of the whole point of the game, being a combat-only JRPG)

I really love it as someone who loves class-based JRPGs, diverse casts, and grinding. And it has received steady major updates throughout 3 years of EA.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna play the act 4 update and get obsessed for another 30+ hours

I literally just stopped a run of TBC and popped open the SA forums to see what was up on the internet, lol

edit: love how you can have Bigfoot AND a caveman

A shame they made the roguelike mode significantly easier a while back, but it'll probably get some more polish later in the release cycle.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 17, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

yes, it's anime

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMTDNvYqTsI

as a kickstarter backer I feel obligated to shill this - I'm always super happy to see a backed game release!

It just hit me that this is from the Templar Battleforce folks. I've been playing that on my phone lately and have thoroughly enjoyed it and apparently wishlisted Cyber Knights at some point. Probably going to wait on it but it looks good already.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think that if anime didn't exist that perverts would still make horny games that are sketchy and gross. evidence is, there are also a lot of pervert games on steam that are just unity assets

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

explosivo posted:

It just hit me that this is from the Templar Battleforce folks. I've been playing that on my phone lately and have thoroughly enjoyed it and apparently wishlisted Cyber Knights at some point. Probably going to wait on it but it looks good already.

It's definitely got some bugginess around controller inputs but I know the Trese Bros and they'll fix anything you ask them to.

Right now my problems are mainly that the inputs seem to sorta...break down. right-stick click is like a mouse click, but sometimes it seems to just...stop working, until I jiggle the mouse and then hit controller inputs again.

Keyboard and mouse on desktop works as you'd expect. I've seen a few missing animations too, but all pretty minor EA poo poo. The core of the game seems very nice.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 17, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also has a roguelike mode that is a lot of fun and I have blown entirely too many hours on it.

Best character is the Bard, utterly breaks the game.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently this was just on sale a few days ago and I missed it :(

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
+1 for TBC, it groks what makes that kind of combat work and has some great innovations on the formula. Things like letting any character use certain utility abilities in exchange for meta-currency, rather than forcing you to squeeze near-mandatory abilities into your team comp or constantly having to spend currency topping up consumables.

Class design is also very creative and fun. The uncontrollable berserker-type characters are night and day compared to FF5 going "ok so this class is completely uncontrollable and can't do anything except basic attacks but in return it gets +1 strength and can use equipment almost as good as the knight." One of the first berserker types you're likely to pick up is a Mad Max warboy who in exchange for a ~1/3 chance of losing control just gets a free second attack that's on par with other classes' limited-use nukes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mystes posted:

Apparently this was just on sale a few days ago and I missed it :(

drat just missed it too!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It will be on sale again!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It will be on sale again!

what other news of the Future, Video GamesUK?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

invest in adult diapers

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

invest in adult diapers

I'll make some deposits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are clear signs that the bottom's going to drop out of that market

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
My investment advisor really poo poo the bed on that call.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also drat, thanks to whoever recommended Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum, this game is 500% my poo poo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anyone playing Sumerians? Reviews are looking nice and I do like a citybuilder.

Time to buy the Rain World Downpour DLC so I can not play the *whole* game instead of only not playing the base game.

you should play it imo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rain World is terrible until it clicks and then its fantastic.

Downpour is mostly good, too. Its new characters present the player with "direction" and "goals," a first for the series.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

you should play it imo

is there such a thing as too much slugcat

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

is there such a thing as too much slugcat

Perhaps if you're weak and feeble.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Rain World is terrible until it clicks and then its fantastic.

Downpour is mostly good, too. Its new characters present the player with "direction" and "goals," a first for the series.

I played Rain World at launch and then when I saw the Buddhist Imagery the game finally made sense and I had a moment of enlightenment

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just started COCOON and immediately love the vibes. the soundscape has some great ambient synths and feels like it will be the highlight of this game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Hwurmp posted:

there are clear signs that the bottom's going to drop out of that market

It all Depends on how volatile things get, but if you invest wisely, you'll be able to Pamper yourself for years.

(I don't think Pampers makes adult diapers, but I was kinda stretching for the last half of that)

Cyber Knights: Flashpoint is good, but I don't understand how hacking works, like at all. I click things and things happen... sometimes. I didn't see anything to show how much AP my hacker has or whatever the hacking equivalent is (his default name is Dade though, and that's awesome), and every turn after the first started me in the same node, rather than the last node I moved to (or thought I moved to).

Also, sometimes things are buttons that I can click with the mouse and sometimes they're just keybinds, and it's really inconsistent. I trust the Trese Brothers to get this stuff cleared up, though. They're good about that (and many other things).

I'm glad the Fenian Brotherhood is still a faction in Cyber Knights.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love Trese Brothers games so I'm sad to say I refunded Cyber Knights, I'm just not a fan of these turn-based tactical stealth games no matter how many of them I try :argh: It seems good though

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

yes, it's anime

Macichne Leainig posted:

Anime was a mistake

(Surely Macichne Leainig's quote deserves to be the title!)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1713970838980960512

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
welll I don't have have to buy it!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Major Isoor posted:

(Surely Macichne Leainig's quote deserves to be the title!)

I take no credit, it’s all Hayao Miyazaki’s words

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he never said that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No I saw the documentary he did

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oxxidation posted:

he never said that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Even if he never said it, it's funnier if he did so it's real life canon now.