Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

Stardate 43578.63.2

Still lost in a nebula

Do Stardates actually make sense, or do they just make up numbers?

TOS it was just random numbers. TNG on, they used a more cohesive scheme, but the scheme according to wikipedia was "the first digit "4" should represent the 24th century, with the second digit representing the television season. The remaining digits can progress unevenly, with the decimal representing the time as fractional days."

I guess now there's also a formula for converting:

Let U = Unix time,

SD = trunc(1000*((U/86400/365.25) + 25)) + U/86400 mod 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Captain's log, stardate 42069..."

"Captain Okona, you use that date for every entry."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In theory on the new shows they have a central formula they all coordinate using and when they need a stardate in an episode they plug in a real date and get it.

Fans complain because it's slightly different to the fan-made formula used in online stardate calculators.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 15, 2023

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

davidspackage posted:

"Captain's log, stardate 42069..."

"Captain Okona, you use that date for every entry."

outRAGEous

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Fans complain because it's slightly different

Could have stopped there.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

*puts down manuscript of Riker vs. Dracula fanfic* Star Trek fans are the worst.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

*puts down manuscript of Riker vs. Dracula fanfic* Star Trek fans are the worst.

There's a three-issue comic of Boimler vs Dracula already (and it's fantastic)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can’t believe LD hasn’t done a mirror universe episode yet. Like an actual episode not a little cameo/reference. It seems like the lowest hanging fruit possible for a literal Star Trek parody show. I’m surprised they didn’t do it by like the third or fourth episode. It’s such a standard pop-culture parody Sealab 2021 did it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MikeJF posted:

There's a three-issue comic of Boimler vs Dracula already (and it's fantastic)

*taking notes* OK but is it a planet full of sexy Draculas

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

galagazombie posted:

I can’t believe LD hasn’t done a mirror universe episode yet. Like an actual episode not a little cameo/reference. It seems like the lowest hanging fruit possible for a literal Star Trek parody show. I’m surprised they didn’t do it by like the third or fourth episode. It’s such a standard pop-culture parody Sealab 2021 did it.
Bizarro I love you Bizarro

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

*taking notes* OK but is it a planet full of sexy Draculas

Boimler wouldn't know what to do with a planet full of sexy Draculas.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

drat it Lilith, you know 0 negative thralls go in the 0 neg cages. Mr. Acula sir, I'll have this straightened out in no time. I just need my tricorder.

Mr. Acula voiced by Scotty B. who keeps having to seduce his minions away from sweet sweet innocent Boimler.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

Mirror universe is beyond played out at this point

DS9 and Disco killed it

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Michael Myers is Kirk in the Star Trek canon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Trying posted:

Michael Myers is Kirk in the Star Trek canon

But he wears a Chris Pine mask

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

Boimler wouldn't know what to do with a planet full of sexy Draculas.

Riker knows

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I could see mirror universe being tough for LD because mirror universe episodes are already very much treading that sort of comedic space. A LD mirror universe episode where everyone was just evil versions isn't enough of a joke.

Maybe more of a focus on how it's basically the same for the lower decks in either universe. Yeah, one is has more recalibrating pain amplifiers, but in the end someone's still got to adjust the power grid and clean the holodeck filters. Constant murders mean more opportunities for promotion! Evil Boimler is already a full Lt! It's being outdone by your transporter clone all over again. Mariner/Freeman has similarities with Burnham/Georguio if you go with mirror Captain Freeman. Plus the nepotism.

I'm sure they could do something with it and probably will. Mirror universe is very Trek. Hard to see them skipping it entirely forever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LD would struggle to do mirror universe stuff because the mirror universe is a fun idea

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Mirror Universe LD:

Mariner, already a highly respected captain

Rutherford, head of Section 31

Tendi, sexy dominatrix security officer

Boimler, exactly the same

naem
May 29, 2011

First of May posted:

Mirror Universe LD:

lmao

naem
May 29, 2011

better yet, Boimler is mirror universe Boimler and replaced original Boimler but no one could tell including Boimler

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sedgr posted:

I could see mirror universe being tough for LD because mirror universe episodes are already very much treading that sort of comedic space. A LD mirror universe episode where everyone was just evil versions isn't enough of a joke.

Maybe more of a focus on how it's basically the same for the lower decks in either universe. Yeah, one is has more recalibrating pain amplifiers, but in the end someone's still got to adjust the power grid and clean the holodeck filters. Constant murders mean more opportunities for promotion! Evil Boimler is already a full Lt! It's being outdone by your transporter clone all over again. Mariner/Freeman has similarities with Burnham/Georguio if you go with mirror Captain Freeman. Plus the nepotism.

I'm sure they could do something with it and probably will. Mirror universe is very Trek. Hard to see them skipping it entirely forever.

That's putting way more thought into the Mirror Universe than any Trek series has to date

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

First of May posted:

He's got the evil Spock goatee because he also loves Spock.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he tried and failed to grow a goatee

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, Boimler with a patchy goatee would be pretty funny

naem
May 29, 2011

regular Boimler confused that all his evil universe coworkers wear crop top uniforms “Wow you guys are really stabby!”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Okay, Boimler with a patchy goatee would be pretty funny

One of those guys where the mustache just refuses to grow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhT6zyv8Uk

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 16, 2023

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Sedgr posted:

drat it Lilith, you know 0 negative thralls go in the 0 neg cages. Mr. Acula sir, I'll have this straightened out in no time. I just need my tricorder.

Mr. Acula voiced by Scotty B. who keeps having to seduce his minions away from sweet sweet innocent Boimler.

God dammit he did NOT get a terminal degree to be called MR. Acula. JFC

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

naem posted:

better yet, Boimler is mirror universe Boimler and replaced original Boimler but no one could tell including Boimler

This is basically the plot of one of the TNG mirror unaverse comic series, only its Barkley and hes actually has some drive to get rank. He was keeping Prime Barkley in a statis chamber in his room.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Voyager and the episode where the doctor becomes a pop star for some alien world and then has to eat total poo poo later on is amazing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Watching Voyager and the episode where the doctor becomes a pop star for some alien world and then has to eat total poo poo later on is amazing.

The reveal of the aliens' replacement all-singing all-dancing Doc was hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

McSpanky posted:

The reveal of the aliens' replacement all-singing all-dancing Doc was hilarious.

Its so loving good because it really illustrates how totally arrogant he is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

First of May posted:

Mirror Universe LD:

Rutherford, head of Section 31

wtf is the point of section 31 in an ultra-evil empire? you wouldn't need to have a secret cabal of war crime conspirators, it's standard procedure for the empire!!

god gently caress section 31. gently caress!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wtf is the point of section 31 in an ultra-evil empire? you wouldn't need to have a secret cabal of war crime conspirators, it's standard procedure for the empire!!

god gently caress section 31. gently caress!!

section 31 is the covert intelligence service who realized that the terran empire is evil and secretly decided to work against it, to mixed results due to their questionable competence

so basically Canaris I guess?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in the mirror universe section 13 is kind of like the make-a-wish foundation

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I hate to ruin everyone’s good time but in the era of Lower Decks there is no Terran empire and humans are a slave race

so there’s your reason for a lack of episodes about it in the fun cartoon show

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

I hate to ruin everyone’s good time but in the era of Lower Decks there is no Terran empire and humans are a slave race

so there’s your reason for a lack of episodes about it in the fun cartoon show

Well sure in that mirror universe.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Sisko comes back from Bajor with a goatee and a desire to build his own spaceship? clearly he is a version from the mirror mirror universe where he is not dead

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

between sisko and riker, growing facial hair means you’re entering your best era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The frustrating part is he should have started with the goatee but they asked him to grow his hair and shave the beard because delicate audiences might see a scary black man from Spenser