Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

LifeSunDeath posted:

I really want to try the other flavors of circus peanuts but you can only buy them in a mixed box that's like 5 pounds. they have cherry, lemon and some other flavors.

The lemon ones are so loving good and I'd kill to be able to buy them on their own. The vanilla ones are mediocre. I'm not a huge cherry fan but they seem fine.

Also for what it's worth, I've been able to get large-but-reasonably-sized bags of the multi-flavor ones at Safeway in both Baltimore and DC. In both cases they were on stand-alone wire racks of generic bulk bad candy outside of the candy aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Key lime pie is supposed to use eggs, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to make eggs clear. That pie is made with gelatin, so it tastes like key-lime jello in a pie crust.

It is possible to make lemon/lime juice complete clear, the cloudy bits and colour don't actually have much flavour to them. It makes a neat crystal-clear margarita.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah the agar also has a different bite than jello but still good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phthisis posted:

The lemon ones are so loving good and I'd kill to be able to buy them on their own. The vanilla ones are mediocre. I'm not a huge cherry fan but they seem fine.

Also for what it's worth, I've been able to get large-but-reasonably-sized bags of the multi-flavor ones at Safeway in both Baltimore and DC. In both cases they were on stand-alone wire racks of generic bulk bad candy outside of the candy aisle.

interesting, thanks for the info.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

VictualSquid posted:

Aldi had a sale on "Schweinskopfsülze" today and I thought of the thread.

German food wikipedia has a picture of roast in aspik, which is even more :effort: then usual.

And the page had a link where I learned about the "aspic riot of 1919".

Where a factory owner was thrown in the River after having barrels of dead rotting roadkill delivered to his meat packing plant and being accused of turning them into gelatine. They were actually processed into glue.
No English version of the Article, sadly.

shame it didnt end with the factory owner set in an aspic prison

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

I'm pretty sure it was around this time last year the thread went manic for circus peanuts so it makes sense. This should become a thread holiday, tbh. Circus Peanut Samhain.

Circus PeaNuit?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Circus P. Noir: PI
the rain was coming down hard and fast, as if a colossal machine gun was firing at the world.
I wrapped myself tight in my coat and carried on walking, no use going back now, better to get on through.
Thinking about Bozo's last words was helping ignore the biting cold,
"Banana flavoured peanuts make for a bad last meal"
I still couldn't make heads or tails out of that and the cops dismissed it out of hand as the nonsense of a delirious mind.
It can't be just all that, I knew Bozo better than that.
Presently I have arrived at my destination, the Sweet Shop and I eagerly entered the warm space and removed my sodden coat.
"Detective! What are doing out in this ungodly whether?" Exclaimed Franz the candy maker "Let me get you some hot cocoa to warm you up!"
-"With cinnamon and marshmallows please" I answered.
I might have just burst it and start with the accusations, Franz was definitely holding something back, but at the moment nothing could have come between me and my cocoa.
"New selection of of shaped marshmallows" I read off the shiny new promotional sign between sips "you always do innovate, Franz"
-"why Danke, my dear detective so kind of you to notice"
"Would you have shapes of fruit and vegetables?" -"zat is correct"
"How about seeds and nuts, Franz" at that the elderly candy man seemed to freeze momentarily
"Of course the ground nut is technically a legume but that matters not when you just use its shape" I looked intensely into his eyes
One way or another I'll get to the truth, I owed it to Bozo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

my homie had similar fake wings recently, said they were terrible, also they were deep fried pumpernickel bread.

yes he added weed powder

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

my homie had similar fake wings recently, said they were terrible, also they were deep fried pumpernickel bread.

yes he added weed powder
poo poo, who wouldn't?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

yes he added weed powder

gently caress those look vile. I'm all for alternative meats but at least try to nail the texture and flavor before you call it a wing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Toasted posted:

gently caress those look vile. I'm all for alternative meats but at least try to nail the texture and flavor before you call it a wing

I still don't understand why people simulate meat at all. if you're not about eating meat why the hell would you want some poor facsimile of meat? I say this as a person who doesn't like meat very much.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/mc97...80e8630686e#t=0

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Oct 17, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

LifeSunDeath posted:

I still don't understand why people simulate meat at all. if you're not about eating meat why the hell would you want some poor facsimile of meat? I say this as a person who doesn't like meat very much.
For people that miss those foods, for people that go "well I'd go vegan except I love wings/steak/etc", to demonstrate it can* be done, plenty of reasons.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

LifeSunDeath posted:

Because food is complicated and tied to emotion and culture. Because you don't want to eat animals but you miss ripping into some breaded and fried protein coated in buffalo sauce. Because you're at your friend's house grilling in the summer. Because you're out with friends to watch the game and everyone's getting wings and they smell really loving good.

Plenty of people don't eat meat for all sorts of reasons. I also don't know any vegetarians/vegans who really love fake meat and eat it all the time, most of them eat it occasionally, basically to reproduce a dish that can't really exist without meat or some meat analogue.

Side note: black bean burgers, while not being anything like meat, are almost always awesome, and restaurants should have kept them instead of switching to beyond/impossible patties.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I am ready for the trend of loving up perfectly fine portable foods with a poo poo-ton of cheese or sauces to be over, thanks

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'd eat that with a knife and fork à la a francesinha, but it's been rendered impossible to pick up, yes. Then again, I'm in a melty cheese/cheez mood these days.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

They could have done that before putting the tops on! what the gently caress

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Dunkin Donuts had a very tasty Impossible sausage breakfast sandwich that they discontinued recently for some dumbass reason. I'd often order it on purpose over the actual meat options.

more falafel please posted:

Side note: black bean burgers, while not being anything like meat, are almost always awesome, and restaurants should have kept them instead of switching to beyond/impossible patties.
I will agree that black bean burgs do rule and have the bonus of being easier to make than most people think. If I could pull them off without much trouble in my first year of "oh poo poo, no more parents/dining hall to rely on for food" level of cooking skill, so can you! There's even decent premade frozen ones these days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Some Taiwanese places sell tofu done up as wings and it’s crazy good when I’ve got it

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Burger King used to have an amazing spicy bean burger back in the 90s/early 2000s and I still think about it now and again. Looks like it was primarily kidney beans, man that thing ruled when I was vegetarian. I loved the McDonalds veggie burger too, it was just potatoes and veggies in a breaded and fried patty. They never had any sitting around so they always had to fry it to order.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I tried the McPlant chicken nuggets in Europe and they don't much taste like chicken but they do taste like McNuggets and that's 90% of what I want

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I tried the McPlant chicken nuggets in Europe and they don't much taste like chicken but they do taste like McNuggets and that's 90% of what I want

Hell chicken nuggets don't taste of chicken, they're cardboard serving vessels for McDonald's sauces.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

LifeSunDeath posted:

pre:
\     |
 \    |
  \   |
   \  |

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm a meat lover, and I've eaten shittons of delicious great high quality amazingly flavored food that just happens to be vegetarian. The reason it was good was that it was trying to be good food, and not trying to be something that it wasn't.

I've also eaten vegetarian sausages, burgers, wings and pulled pork that sucked rear end, because the meat replacement was nothing like meat.

In conclusion, vegetarian food is a land of contrasts.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

HookedOnChthonics posted:

pre:
\     |
 \    |
  \   |
   \  |

whats wrong with that milk

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's cum mixed with soymilk

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Plant protein products have improved a lot even since I gave up meat in 2015. Some of the bad old fashioned products still hang on, but there are new brands popping up all the time.

Here in Sweden, new products are based on pea protein, from a crop that can be grown locally, instead of imported soy.

There are good and bad plant protein products, just like there is good and bad animal protein products.

I like almost every kind of food, and I don’t miss meat because there are so many other good things to eat, including asian food that is meat free as intended and new actually taste plant based burgers. Because, sometimes you really just want a burg.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Meanwhile I’m totally fine eating raw rear end tofu from the brick

But I like all the variety of meatless meaty options. It’s a bonus! It’s flavor! Make brain feel good!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

I still don't understand why people simulate meat at all.

it's for when a family or w/e decides to have a communal meal based around some kind of meat, so whoever's cooking can buy something pre-made at the store that looks sort-of like the real food they'll be cooking later, and maybe it will placate the whiny little gaywad loser who thinks she's too good to eat normal food

edit: i mean that's one possibility

Gravid Topiary has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Oct 18, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

Meanwhile I’m totally fine eating raw rear end tofu from the brick

Speaking as someone who is vegan at home, this is violence. (Not really; if you like it like that, more power to you, but, uhh... Not even with a bit of salt?)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Speaking as someone who is vegan at home, this is violence. (Not really; if you like it like that, more power to you, but, uhh... Not even with a bit of salt?)

You’ve read my posts

You know how broken I am

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Touché

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I recently started attending a weekly potluck, and I'm usually the one doing the cooking from our household. One of the hosts is vegetarian, and the other is allergic to any poultry product (meat, egg, etc). I'm a meat and vegetables guy, and a lot of what I make just doesn't work minus the meat. The vegetarian doesn't like the texture of most meat, so the more a fake meat succeeds in its job, the worse it is for her. So I usually go for a substitute that fits with the recipe (eggplant parmigiana, tofu curry, etc.), rather than fake meat. Mainly it's about selecting recipes that work well as vegetarian and egg-free instead of forcing it. I learned the same lesson when I lived with a friend with gluten intolerance a while back.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

teen witch posted:

You’ve read my posts

You know how broken I am
You have Megg as an avatar so tbh one doesn't even need to read your posts

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bean burgers are great and hopefully once the Impossible and Beyond hype settles down they can return to more menus to allow people to partake in the ideal foodstuff while on the go: bean sandwich.

In the meantime I'll keep buying an 8 pack of buns and a pound of ground beef and using frozen bean burgers to settle the bun debt instead of lodging 2-3lb of red meat collectively in the fam's colon.

Processed chicken sub for processed tofu is almost no contest in tofus favor because it absorbs the nuggy brine better anyway and it's not like processed chicken has an ideal texture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Y’all know that vegetarians hear that « I would simply eat vegetables and not fake meat, why pretend » is one of those stock phrases vegetarians hear all the time like « he’s getting the tofu, guess I’ll have to get double steak! Mmmm dead cow! »

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No I've never considered that. Please tell us more, and as loudly and often as you can.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

they are putting wooden dowels in bread to simulate bones...you people are defending this practice.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Y’all know that vegetarians hear that « I would simply eat vegetables and not fake meat, why pretend » is one of those stock phrases vegetarians hear all the time like « he’s getting the tofu, guess I’ll have to get double steak! Mmmm dead cow! »

For real, I’m sick to death of hearing it. I did a vegan diet for a few years and I’m trying to limit my meat consumption, but believe it or not, I and myriads like me still like it. Christ. Do y’all eat meat only because it comes from an animal?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

teen witch posted:

Meanwhile I’m totally fine eating raw rear end

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

they are putting wooden dowels in bread to simulate bones...you people are defending this practice.

Kebab