Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Debian is a bit different. More conservative, more packages, fewer people who can do the work, and no dictator to make a mandate. It's good that Grohne is moving ahead and I wish him luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Debian-Repeats-Merged-Usr-Block

Lmfao. Every other distribution has had merged usr for what? 5+ years now?

some real power-thinkers in the phoronix comments

quote:

Ahh how cute, the PlayStation/Xbox generation of developers has taken over the world. Their next proposal will be, "we need to change the name from /usr to /user and stop using the silent 'e'."

I'm surprised there isn't already a "systemd-userd" module to deal with this dilemma once and for all. Get on it, Lennart, what is Microsoft paying you the big bucks for anyway?

quote:

You want to be treated in a mature manner, act in one. You want to be treated like an idiot, ditto. I'm happy to oblige either way.

Unless you have an actual thing that the current directory structure is causing problems with (and you don't) then you need to shut your mouth. If you don't understand why something is the way it is, you are not qualified to say it should be another way. You're not even qualified to say it needs to happen on YOUR production systems, much less everyone's. You're talking from between the wrong set of cheeks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I admit to reading the Phoronix comments on some articles for my own amusement, but they are always just so mind numbingly dumb. Not even funny dumb.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

scratches an old slashdot itch a lot of the time though, they're always angry about something.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I am still upset that the solution wasn't to make /usr a symlink to /. Simpler IMO. But it is funny that modern Linux systems have scar tissue from a Bell Labs machine running out of disk space in the 70s.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i prefer / be something of a fixed size that never grows after the initial os install is done. not even after adding ~200 packages after cloning the lun from the gold image to personalize the new system for its function.

lvm / is gross and wrong because it opens a lot of exciting new failure modes that are really annoying to recover from.

a standard / partition with lvm /var, /opt, /tmp, /home, AND /usr is the way. merged /usr into / is dumb.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

fresh_cheese posted:

i prefer / be something of a fixed size that never grows after the initial os install is done. not even after adding ~200 packages after cloning the lun from the gold image to personalize the new system for its function.

lvm / is gross and wrong because it opens a lot of exciting new failure modes that are really annoying to recover from.

a standard / partition with lvm /var, /opt, /tmp, /home, AND /usr is the way. merged /usr into / is dumb.

What is the value of never adding subdirectories to /? And why does the same not apply to /usr?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's pretty normal to drop an /app directory in the root of a container's file system since its a single purpose thing.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Athas posted:

What is the value of never adding subdirectories to /? And why does the same not apply to /usr?

add all the subdirs you want to / im not your mother? i would prefer they are their own fs mounts if theres gonna be more than a static config file in there.

the point is to be able to boot the system into a state more capable than the initrd provides when lvm cant find all the physical volumes. if / is essentially static enough you can pretend its RO ish and recovery is a lot easier since you have more tools for diagnosis.

/usr, /var, /opt, /tmp, and /home all grow as you add packages to a system. /bin, /lib, and /etc very much less so. honestly i really want pxe boot ro / with nfs everything else - olde diskless workstation style - just with san or iscsi instead of nfs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

the five gobo linux users feeling pretty smug rn

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

if lenny hadnt put all of systemd into /usr it wouldnt even be an issue.

why TF did he do that anyway? just to be an rear end in a top hat and force the issue because of opinion stuff or was there actually a technical justification behind that decision?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:rolleyes:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the justification is that the read-only os lives in /usr and the read-write system state lives in /etc /var /home /opt /root and so on.

we don't use single-user rootfs-only rescue boots any more grandpa, we have these things called live usbs that have full desktop environments now, and most broken server installs are fixed by executing an automated reprovisioning operation from some central management server. come on, let's get you back to the retirement home.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

why does your distro/desktop not use udisks, it's been the standard for something like 10 years now

do i look like i know what a udisk is? i just want an image of a got-dang hard drive.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

rescue media? you rely on booting rescue media?

loooooool

okay. i hope that continues to work for you.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

go back to slashdot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just put everything under /c

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fresh_cheese posted:

rescue media? you rely on booting rescue media?

loooooool

okay. i hope that continues to work for you.

dark souls font hand tipped

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tankakern posted:

go back to slashdot

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Eeyo posted:

do i look like i know what a udisk is? i just want an image of a got-dang hard drive.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Grml has been a life saver for those moments when a super important computer connected to €€€ of machines eats itself.

loving SEM will be the death of me one day, but at least I look like Gandalf arriving at Helm's Deep.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eeyo posted:

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Eeyo posted:

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Eeyo posted:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Debian-Repeats-Merged-Usr-Block

Lmfao. Every other distribution has had merged usr for what? 5+ years now?

I don't understand, the last few debian versions have already had everything in /usr with a bunch of symlinks in /

is the goal to get rid of the symlinks too?

fresh_cheese posted:

also gently caress whoever made smart “ a thing. do not loving change my “ to some other identical “ which also prevents example code from running.

your user experience improvements are a piece of poo poo

remember when some people thought that ``quote" or ``quote'' didn't look like total dogshit when writing in plain ascii

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

remember when some people thought that ``quote" or ``quote'' didn't look like total dogshit when writing in plain ascii

Works On My DEC Terminal (tm)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

I don't understand, the last few debian versions have already had everything in /usr with a bunch of symlinks in /

It's more complicated, partly for hysterical reasons, partly because of Debian's commitment to making distribution upgrades happen via package manager.

See https://lwn.net/Articles/933043/ for some examples. PT_INTERP is a gently caress.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

id be fine with that. all i really want is to be able to have a simple partition with a minimum system install on it, with an “everything else” lvm-like region that goes with it. everything you add post installation goes in the lvm managed area.

im not emotionally attached to /usr , i just want to keep this distinction between the parts of the system that support the shell , devices, and file system management vs everything else.

BattleMaster posted:

its probably obvious i dont really give a rats rear end about typography. im happy other people like typography because they make cool stuff, but cramming magic typography transformation logic into every possible rendering of text is a poo poo idea.

magic quotes in a wysiwyg editor? awesome.
magic quotes in a shell in xterm? noooooooooo bad plan.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

It's more complicated, partly for hysterical reasons, partly because of Debian's commitment to making distribution upgrades happen via package manager.

See https://lwn.net/Articles/933043/ for some examples. PT_INTERP is a gently caress.

why the hell did everyone decide to merge / into /usr instead of the other way round? /usr was the hack, get rid of that, dont put everything in it?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

fresh_cheese posted:

why the hell did everyone decide to merge / into /usr instead of the other way round? /usr was the hack, get rid of that, dont put everything in it?

Best idea is what NixOS does, but second best is this. Deletion to /usr.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the Linux/Unix file system layout doesn’t make sense and never did

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fresh_cheese posted:

i think this was around the time where everyone universally agreed to putting all envs in there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
envs? what?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

akadajet posted:

the Linux/Unix file system layout doesn’t make sense and never did

agreed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

which is why we're all so emotionally invested in fixing it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i like the BSD layout :shobon:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I guess my distro doesn’t use /usr either? I type typing “c:\/usr” and it keeps telling me the path is not found???

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Mr. Crow posted:

i like the BSD layout :shobon:

Sorry you had to find out this way, but it is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fresh_cheese posted:

because to users the immutable system image is the least relevant thing to access, and generally having / be anything but mount points means you can't look at a path prefix and tell what you're dealing with.

tbh it'd make way more sense to mount the logged in user's home dir as / if we're tossing random poo poo there.