Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is going to be political, so fair warning.

I'm so sick and tired of centrists whose answers for certain contemporary political issues - domestic or foreign - is "it's complicated!".

Yes, there are issues that are complex and take a lot of explanations and background information to unravel. More often than not, though, when you hear a "moderate" say "it's complicated!", they're saying, "I don't want to think about this beyond surface-level issues and seriously question perceptions of the world/politics I've been spoonfed by the corporate media". Which is bullshit and unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Centrist is just a nice word for coward

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Centrist is just a nice word for coward

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is going to be political, so fair warning.

I'm so sick and tired of centrists whose answers for certain contemporary political issues - domestic or foreign - is "it's complicated!".

Yes, there are issues that are complex and take a lot of explanations and background information to unravel. More often than not, though, when you hear a "moderate" say "it's complicated!", they're saying, "I don't want to think about this beyond surface-level issues and seriously question perceptions of the world/politics I've been spoonfed by the corporate media". Which is bullshit and unacceptable.

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett posted:

"There’s no greys, only white that’s got grubby. I’m surprised you don’t know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That’s what sin is."
"It’s a lot more complicated than that -"
"No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth."

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
People at work saying 'we need to look at the art of the possible' when they just mean 'we need to consider what is possible'.

I've always hated that loving phrase, even when being used in context of its original meaning.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

People at work saying 'we need to look at the art of the possible' when they just mean 'we need to consider what is possible'.

I've always hated that loving phrase, even when being used in context of its original meaning.

That's pretty obnoxious. Sounds like something Morpheus would say in The Matrix.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've never heard that phrase before and I already hate it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm ready dreading it popping up this week.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dip Viscous posted:

Is this a new thing? I'm going into the office today. Do I need to brace myself for stupid?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Art of the Possible sounds like a lovely self-help book that somehow sells 900 million copies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Isn't that what Bismarck said about politics? And an Evita song

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Isn't that what Bismarck said about politics? And an Evita song
About politics, yes. Which is the only context in which that phrase belongs, imo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

oldpainless posted:

My company wanted to go to Teams and we basically revolted and still use Skype to this day with no problems

I...wow. That's commitment. Gotta maintain it all on-prem since I believe the cloud version is unsupported?

But honestly, Teams ain't perfect, but for strictly CHATTING? Far superior to Skype.
Skype's tenacity to just erase whole conversations because "it's been a few hours, you clearly don't need that anymore" is complete dogshit. We had persistent chat messages with AIM 25 years ago!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I miss AIM every day

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

IRC :smith:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Italians are too close when we aren’t friends. Like they stand too close when talking to you. Take two steps back and don’t touch me, definitely don’t touch my kids. Lovely country, poor personal space rules.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The fact that it's no longer possible to make google search for a specific, exact thing any more. Putting stuff in quotation marks now just makes it "high priority" or something because it will still return pages that don't contain that string, or contain near-matches or similar words or phrases. And if you don't use quotation marks then you just get garbage. It's fine if what you're looking for is the answer to a common question or on a Wikipedia page or something, but if you want to actually search the web for a specific, hard-to-find thing, you can go gently caress yourself because it's not happening.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
This post could apply to anyone with an accent on their English, but I live in SoCal, so for this example it will be about Spanish.

It drives me absolutely insane when there is an ad and the actors in said ad are ethnically Mexican, but clearly speak the same bland, brain dead SoCal version of English that we all speak around here. No accent at all on their English. Until the ad copy has that one Spanish word in the script, and then the accent for just that single word go full on deepest barrio Spanish that you have ever heard. And then flips back to brain dead SoCal English for the rest of the ad.

There is one ad in particular around here that is getting a poo poo-ton of runs and the radio where the family is arguing over where to get the best "TACOS". Gad drat it is annoying, they must say the word tacos at least a dozen times. I still don't even know what the ad is for.

I have native English speaking Mexican friends, coworkers and relatives who also speak Spanish of varying degrees. None of them do this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

This post could apply to anyone with an accent on their English, but I live in SoCal, so for this example it will be about Spanish.

It drives me absolutely insane when there is an ad and the actors in said ad are ethnically Mexican, but clearly speak the same bland, brain dead SoCal version of English that we all speak around here. No accent at all on their English. Until the ad copy has that one Spanish word in the script, and then the accent for just that single word go full on deepest barrio Spanish that you have ever heard. And then flips back to brain dead SoCal English for the rest of the ad.

There is one ad in particular around here that is getting a poo poo-ton of runs and the radio where the family is arguing over where to get the best "TACOS". Gad drat it is annoying, they must say the word tacos at least a dozen times. I still don't even know what the ad is for.

I have native English speaking Mexican friends, coworkers and relatives who also speak Spanish of varying degrees. None of them do this.

I like the Hawaiian Air Airlines ads where they talk about a trip to Hawai'i (pronounced like a native Hawaiian) aboard Hawaiian Air (pronounced like a haole like me). It's jarring when it's in the same breath.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ugh, there's a fellow translator I run into on blessedly rare occasions who grew up in a Mexican family in Texas. He has no accent apart from a generic American one. I mentioned Cozumel as the extent of my experience with Mexico, and he said

ridiculous rear end in a top hat posted:

"Oh, C̷̨͕̞͚̣̣͚̥̫̹̫͖̓̓̌̄͗̃̔͑̃̈́͘͠͝ō̴̼̲͚̲̦̑̆͛̑͋͠z̸̧̲̞͈̼͓̺͍̃͐͆͆ų̷̡̧̨̱͉̫̘͎̗͕̯̫̹̩̯̊̔̔m̷̡̛̛̝̣̫̱̭͔̗̯͕̥̟̯̜̔̏̓͗̓̆̋͋̓͑̿͋̈́͝e̴̞̳̦̞̥͖̠͍͇͇̟̤̺̲̊̔̉̊͜͝ļ̶̧̲̯̗̞̦̳̪̰͖̀̔́͂͒̄̚̕͜͝ͅ! Isn't it beautiful? I love C̷̱̣͎̥̣̫͖̪̩̈́̈̀̓͗́͗͌̆̓͒́̕͠ò̶͎̙̽̂̌̈́̈́z̵̡̡̫͔̥͎̩͕̰͓̥̳̪̈́ư̶̡̙͚̣͉͙͎̦̣̗̤̘͎̏͗̋͒͋̃́͊͐̄͗̀̈̕͜͜͝m̵̬͈̜͉͓̳͕͖͖͓͔̉̀̽̄̇͐͗̈́͘͝e̷̻̖̰̭̬̫̮̝̳̳̜̞̝͔͋̆̾͌͌͋̀̓͌͝l̷̢̤̺͓̬̭͍̺͔͔̣̬̯̹̩̇̉̄̃͝ͅ, though I don't get to visit too often."
Just the strongest, most specific accent--possibly, like, a Yucatec Mayan accent--on "Cozumel" in the middle of this bland mid-American accent. I strongly dislike that guy for a lot of reasons, and now you know one of them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whereas the inverse--someone speaking a foreign language fluently before dropping into flawless, unaccented English for a name or something--is great.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

All according to keikaku

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

credburn posted:

I like the Hawaiian Air Airlines ads where they talk about a trip to Hawai'i (pronounced like a native Hawaiian) aboard Hawaiian Air (pronounced like a haole like me). It's jarring when it's in the same breath.

Funny you should mention Hawaii. Mrs. rear end Trophy thinks I am a dickhead old man because of this pet peeve. She happens to be 1/4 Hawaiian, but was born in CA, does not speak or even know how to pronounce a single word of it. So when we went on vacation to Kuai over the summer, I spent a non-insignificant amount of time learning some Hawaiian and making a really good effort to pronounce it correctly. Needless to say, after just a single day on the island, dropping in the words that I knew where appropriate, she was ready to kill me.

You can imagine the fun I had picking that fight.

Your description of jarring is right on target. It it the shift in accent and word pacing, twice within a sentence that really messes things up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As a ESL speaker who grew up with everyone vaguely foreign and/or ethnic in Hollywood films doing something like this I have sought to emulate it when I speak English myself. Just throw in a Icelandic word öðru hvoru. I have considered pairing this with a "how you say?" Or "In the language of My People" but never quite dared.

It's fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I know I have bitched about this before but this time the bitch is slightly different!

As part of my job, I sometimes have to submit records request to towns/cities and counties to ask them "Hey, did this site have the equivalent of Chernobyl happen on it?" or similar.

Usually my bitch is with Google thinking that the State part of my search isn't important but not this time! Oh no, today I am bitching about the counties!

Rando counties in the middle of I dunno where and don't care: why on Gods Green Flat Earth could I not find a single email contact on your entire website?! HOW have you not cottoned to email by now? JUST HOW. I don't want to call your rear end up on the phone nor do I want to mail you a physical letter like a geriatric grandma! I just want to send an email, which you are free to ignore, I don't give a poo poo I get paid either way! Just something so I can prove I asked!

Freedom of Information Act my fat sagging rear end!

Okay thanks I feel better now.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I always try use the local hello, goodbye, please, thank you etc when travelling. Is it weird?

My peeve today is the new acrobat reader UI. My peeve for the last week or so was the new file explorer UI removing drag and drop into the address bar, and the real estate in the address bar that was given to onedrive shrinking the address bar to useless on smaller windows.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

not spanish but french here, I can't stand how some people will be talking normally, blah blah blah, and then

pause

breathe

kwa zang

Congratulations you just said croissant wrong, meanwhile everyone who speaks franglais will just say it the english way in english and the french way in french because no one cares!!

this applies to every french word in english but the kwahhhhzaaaangnnnnggggg is the favourite of tryhards.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tiggum posted:

The fact that it's no longer possible to make google search for a specific, exact thing any more. Putting stuff in quotation marks now just makes it "high priority" or something because it will still return pages that don't contain that string, or contain near-matches or similar words or phrases. And if you don't use quotation marks then you just get garbage. It's fine if what you're looking for is the answer to a common question or on a Wikipedia page or something, but if you want to actually search the web for a specific, hard-to-find thing, you can go gently caress yourself because it's not happening.

I'm taking a course in Private Investigation and one of my classes is on OSINT (i.e. Googling). My teacher is super lazy and he's recycling old homework from 2014 so not only is he expecting operators to work differently but half of the results we're supposed to find are offline now so the work is literally impossible to do.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can't sleep and am watching Facebook short videos and am really surprised how many times someone shouts "let's go!" at the end. When I was a kid we shouted "let's go" to initiate the whatever.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

I always try use the local hello, goodbye, please, thank you etc when travelling. Is it weird?

I have never visited a place where people didn't appreciate you making at least an EFFORT to speak their language. Even if all you can say is the polite words and "Where is the bathroom?"

That is not weird. I think what people are saying is weird is just dropping right into perfectly pronounced "foreign" words in the middle of normal speech? Dunno I haven't encountered that much myself. Do feel free to continue picking up other languages and using them when you travel!

The real fun happens when you visit somewhere that speaks a Creole language, and you know the base language somewhat. It's fun to try and pick that up a little by chatting with people!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
We have Sirius radio at work and they're currently playing a Halloween music station but some of these songs are really stretching to fit the theme. "Bela Lugosi's Dead" and "Every Day is Halloween"? Totally appropriate. "Sympathy for the Devil"? Sure, I guess that works. "I Want Candy" by Bow-wow-wow? Okay, trick or treating = candy. Its a stretch but i can see it. "Runnin' with the Devil" by Van Halen? "Zombie" by the Cranberries? "Day-o" by Harry Belafonte?! (That one is because it was in Beetlejuice)

My theory is that someone at Sirius just searched for anything with Halloween-ish words, threw together a playlist, and called it a day.

"Witchcraft" by Frank Sinatra?! Really?

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Oct 20, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Minor pet peeve:
"Perfect English, no accent"
Is always, coincidentally, the form of English spoken by the poster.
"I don't have an accent, you have an accent"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

I have never visited a place where people didn't appreciate you making at least an EFFORT to speak their language. Even if all you can say is the polite words and "Where is the bathroom?"

Never been to Paris, I take it

As I roll my eyes and say "may I take your order" in the most english way possible to try and give you the hint after the third merci and fifth s'il vous plaît

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Never been to Paris, I take it

As I roll my eyes and say "may I take your order" in the most english way possible to try and give you the hint after the third merci and fifth s'il vous plaît

Funnily enough, I have. Several times. I did a study abroad in France, not in Paris, but I did visit Paris quite a bit while I was there. Parisians are a different breed, it's true. In their case "making an effort" has a bit of a higher bar, but I still got much better treatment there when I made an effort, even if I couldn't carry on an entire conversation in French.

I took my step-brothers to a creperie once when they visited me. They don't speak a lick of French, so of course the waiter heard us talking amongst ourselves in English. He walked over and said in the most bored English "Yes, my I take your order?" as you said.

I turned to him, greeted him in French, and rattled off our orders (still in French). He recoiled like he'd been slapped, and his demeanor completely changed. The rest of the time he was very pleasant and friendly. I realize I probably wouldn't have gotten the same result if I'd only been able to say the "polite" words. But it was still a result!

I also had to throw myself at the mercy of a SNCF employee at the ticket booth when I just could not for the life of me find which platform my train was leaving from. (I got better, but I was new to it at the time.) All I said to him in French was "Excuse me for bothering you, but I need help," then launched into English. He told me which platform was mine.

So, it still works in Paris, in my experience. I don't speak French that well, but I managed.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've never been in another country that speaks another language but when I see people speak broken Spanish at Mexican resteraunts it almost feels....patronizing I guess? I'm pretty sure that's my own poo poo coming out but I wonder how it comes across to others a lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've never been in another country that speaks another language but when I see people speak broken Spanish at Mexican resteraunts it almost feels....patronizing I guess? I'm pretty sure that's my own poo poo coming out but I wonder how it comes across to others a lot.

I saw one person who was offended. And one person who appreciated the effort. It’s certainly a complicated subject and no mistake.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think it really depends on your intentions. If you’re speaking with someone who is fighting through English it’s appreciated. If you’re just practicing, it can be patronizing, if you’re speaking to a service worker. If you’re just ordering food in a racist accent, then you’re the worst.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've never been in another country that speaks another language but when I see people speak broken Spanish at Mexican restaurants it almost feels....patronizing I guess? I'm pretty sure that's my own poo poo coming out but I wonder how it comes across to others a lot.

Oh god, this. My dad and the owner of the company where I work both do this and it makes me want to crawl under the table and die. My dad is now 80, and I finally told him to stop doing that on his most recent visit. Probably because it is a place I go to all the time and I don't want them to hate me.

I know this is sort of off topic, but here's my take on making an effort. I'm in my mid 50's, but I took French classes from 6th grade all the way to the end of high school, and I was fortunate to have excellent teachers. I also spent a year racing bikes in Francophone Belgium in my early 20's. So my spoken French grammar was really good, but I always had a horrible accent. The Belgians always seemed to be put out speaking French with me. That was until one of my friends told me my accent sounded Dutch, and that was why they were unfriendly. Over the years I have been losing more and more words from my vocab, but when we travel to French speaking countries, the effort seems appreciated. Tahiti was great, especially when talking with native Tahitians, at least once they found out I was not from France. Quebec was also interesting. In Montreal and Quebec City, pretty much everyone was 100 percent bilingual. So I did not really bother them with my poorly accented French, and they did not care. I figured this out pretty quick. But just a few miles outside of the cities, it was a French only zone. One particular incident at a rural cheese factory involved me translating between the shop keeper and a western Canada visitor. That shopkeeper was really appreciative, and even more so was amazed that I was American. She gave us a bunch of extra cheese with our purchase.

Italy was even better, except for walled Rome. I started on Duolingo a few years ago, and I can sort of get by if the Italians speak slowly and use simple wording. Sometimes they ask me why I was bothering to learn Italian, as they consider it a dead and language. It always seems to be appreciated in the rural areas and smaller cities, we got a lot of free coffee and pastry out of that. But in Rome within the city walls, that was a big nope. I was told somewhat loudly several times to speak English. I have been to the rural areas outside of Sienna for a vintage bike event and it is always a lot of fun speaking with the Italians and French about our common interest in old bikes.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
When I was in Paris, a surprisingly common response to us trying to get by in french was them exclaiming "Ah, Swedes!" And switching to English, while remaining nice and polite.

This did not match our expectations or most other people's experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
"Cozy". Why is everything suddenly cozy. Like literally everything is goddamn "cozy" now.

Is this some sort of collective immune response to all the loving wars and general hell breaking loose in the world? Sorry, starting to shoehorn a new buzzword everywhere won't just magically make it all go away. Just stop it with this saccharine cozycore poo poo and face the apocalypse head on.